Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Slavery in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  16:20:55  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

Elves look a little bit more evil every day to me...

quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

Is there any record of a slave rising, à la Spartacus, in the Realms?

Mulhorand is the result of one that comes to mind the quickest.

The history of Mulhorand and the Imaskar Empire is great, I've just read it for the first time. Thanks for the tip.
It seems that in 4e people of the long lost "Deep Imaskar" came out from the ground again.

1:don't be MArkustay 2.0 okay.

2: the elves in the FR are monsters, but then so are humans. Both species have committed massive atrocities, but the elves in the Realms also know that they are better at it than the humans..

3: Not all elves in the realms fall under that though. Those elder moon and sun elf houses all play in politics. There are also those in those houses that don't think like their elders either knowing that times change and that time has past.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  17:10:35  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think elves in general are monsters. All that passage proves is that they are an actual race, with a wide variety of members. They aren't stereotypes.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  19:05:18  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

2: the elves in the FR are monsters, but then so are humans. Both species have committed massive atrocities, but the elves in the Realms also know that they are better at it than the humans..
Needlessly specific. "The elves also know that they are better than everyone else" usually describes the situation well enough.
quote:
3: Not all elves in the realms fall under that though. Those elder moon and sun elf houses all play in politics.
Or rather, depending on the time and place, more of them can be on receiving end, which tend to forcibly reset the perspective:
quote:
we'd better work as hard as we can to see that Eltargrim is still our Coronal, and not <...> one of the oh-so-noble sons of our three highest houses. They may consider humans and the like no better than snakes and ground-slugs, but they look upon the rest of us elven Cormanthans as no better than cattle.
("Elminster in Myth Drannor")

quote:
There are also those in those houses that don't think like their elders either knowing that times change and that time has past.

And no less often the other way around. Such as all those narcissistic ardavanshee, ignoring their elders, but on their own acting with common sense of a bug who noticed a shiny oil lamp in the night - and often with remarkably similar results.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  14:11:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
umm yeah, I do regret mentioning that.

yeah some elves can and do tend to think too high and mighty of themselves, it tends to run in sun elves more than the others imo, but that is another thread and it got temp locked not jsut once, but if I recall correctly ; twice.

back on to the slavery in the realms discussion.

Don't orcs use slaves??

know some of the underdark species do;

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2015 :  16:43:00  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Don't orcs use slaves??
know some of the underdark species do;

I can't remember any references, so let's narrow the possibilities via general approach.
Usual types of slavery "work" only for specific niches. While e.g. illithids can afford to use thralls for everything, that's a special case.
There are 3 possibilities known on this Earth that are appliable to relatively primitive folk like orcs: settled agriculture, seminomadic economy (agriculture both for people and feeding cattle in stabled season), mining.
Conversely, to hunters-gatherer tribes or full nomads slavery is not worth the costs and efforts.

In the Realms there are 3 main groups of orcs: territorial hunter-gatherers (prone to overpopulation on their own), refugees and stable isolated tribes of gray orcs/ondontis (who mostly want to be left alone) and The Kingdom of Many-Arrows (that isn't known for widespread slavery, which probably is why it could know peace at all).
So, it looks like "usually, no".
An important orc here and there could keep a few slaves as a luxury, but nothing comparable to e.g. Calimshan.
Which of course doesn't mean that if an opportunity arises, orcs won't sell captives to anyone who pays or a whole tribe of kobolds or other humanoids won't get bullied into working for orcs without technically being property.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2015 :  23:24:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many adventures feature a theme of rescuing prisoners/slaves from nasty pits and cages within tightly-guarded orc camps. I presume the orcs (or other monsters) make efforts to capture live prisoners (and some efforts to keep prisoners alive, for at least a while) because they plan to torture, enslave, or eat them. Given the harsh, bullying strong-dominate-the-weak and swift-punishment-to-disobediance qualities which tend to govern orc societies, I think it's reasonable to assume prisoners are often subjugated and enslaved, even if the intention is simply to sadistically work them to death or throw them into pit fights.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2015 :  22:23:55  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We could also assume, as we said earlier, that orcs could have slaves (as in "prisoners") for selling them. Not likely a very large population, neither stable, as they sell them.

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000