Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 drizzt movie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

penguin jones
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  01:59:15  Show Profile  Visit penguin jones's Homepage Send penguin jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Mod Edit: Removed web address.

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Dec 2010 02:39:13

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  02:39:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry penguin, but I've removed the address of your website because it breaches Section A.9 of the Candlekeep Code of Conduct:-

A.9. It is not permitted for members to create threads or posts simply to advertise other websites, forums or web services. Feel free to add a link to other sites within your profile signature, but all other advertising should be avoided without first obtaining permission from the Head Moderator.

If you wish to discuss this matter, please contact me privately.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  01:18:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I think a Drizzt movie would be great. Since the comics did well, it's a great start for a story board.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  01:36:12  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read of rumors of one in the works years ago, but it never got beyond the screenwriting stage, AFAIK.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  02:08:02  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say I'd never see a Drizzt film, should one end up in production. But I don't think that I would care to see a Drizzt film made before a film about the Forgotten Realms. It just doesn't sit right with me.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  02:21:15  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, make a movie based on Sojourn/Icewind Dale trilogy, and you could have both! That takes up a large chunk of he Realms.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  02:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Hmm, make a movie based on Sojourn/Icewind Dale trilogy, and you could have both! That takes up a large chunk of he Realms.

Good point.

Though I'm still not entirely convinced you'd need such a high-profile character for the film. It would be like saying that the Realms can't support itself without the much-loved dark elf.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  04:15:48  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think he'd be the perfect character to introduce the Realms to movie-goers- his perspective as someone who comes from a very different sort of "world" than the surface Realms would really showcase the different areas and people, I think. Provided it was done well, of course. Imagine his meeting with Mooshie or McGrath or even Bruenor- that's a lot of characters to show how big and diverse Faerun is!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  05:55:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say that any FR movie should do what almost ever single FR author, including RAS, has done at some point: tell a new story, and intro new characters for it. Every iconic character in the Realms was at one time a brand new character... There is no existing FR story I'd want to see made into a movie more than I'd want to see at least one of my fave authors help writing a new tale set in the Realms. Why rehash an existing story when we can have a new one?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  06:12:06  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest Drizzt was my portal to the Realms. And must say, even though I loath the fanboys(girls) of him and what they made him into, I owe the novels something.

EDIT: By fans I mean cheap Drizzt copies.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 26 Dec 2010 06:12:56
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  06:24:48  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, Sill, you know what they say- imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! (But I kinda know what you mean- even though I, too, play a male drow with two swords. No, he's NOT emo, no, he's NOT a ranger, and no, they are NOT scimitars....)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  06:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If only I could show you image I saw on the PW site on thread when it came to Drizzt copies... You know, I will search for you and post the link to image. Wait for edit please.

Edit: Here you go: http://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/20050710.jpg

http://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/20050711.jpg

It really cracked me up since these tendencies are true.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 26 Dec 2010 06:35:42
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  06:44:05  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, I think he'd be the perfect character to introduce the Realms to movie-goers- his perspective as someone who comes from a very different sort of "world" than the surface Realms would really showcase the different areas and people, I think. Provided it was done well, of course. Imagine his meeting with Mooshie or McGrath or even Bruenor- that's a lot of characters to show how big and diverse Faerun is!

You know, it only just struck me now, but I think the best character to introduce the Realms to movie-goers . . . would be Volo!

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  06:45:50  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And just saying, two weapon fighting drow is not Drizzt copy. Drizzt copy is ranger(not necessarily), good (not necessarily), with long monologues and stupid naive logic about not killing and all (Complete traits!).

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  06:46:40  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or any unusual non epic adventurer. Elminster would go in (young ages).

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  08:04:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I no longer care which character will be featured, so long as I see a good Realms movie. Live or animated is fine, as long as it's well done. If it's going to be the latter, I hope the quality will be way, way better than the last DL movie.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  08:10:40  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that you mention... A good relatively unknown adventurer will do if the movie is good.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  09:24:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great links, Silly.

I think the problem is that Drizzt is good at slice'n'dice, easily accomodated with today's CGI yet difficult to portray in an attractive and convincing manner that appeals to both the PG13 and Grognard-R audiences. Drizzt could be a children's cartoon or Drizzt could be a manly machine of destruction, but not both.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  09:55:28  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Send regards to those people on BGTSCC PW server who hate carebear attitude, Arik

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  10:41:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, don't misunderstand me, I'm not being critical of Drizzt's acting skills here.

What I was trying to say is that Drizzt could be Disney (which would be carebear awful, omg Lolth's evil priestess used poison!). Or Drizzt could be depicted "heroically" as seen in X-Men and Fantastic Four. Or Drizzt could be a brutally efficient gore-splattered slayer as seen in Gladiator and 300. Or Drizzt could wander the middle road as seen in Lord of the Rings. The latter treatments are all valid, but primarily appeal to different audiences and would forever define Drizzt's character to the larger (and largely non-D&D) world.

D&D fans have never, as a group, agreed on the merit of the (decidedly unworthy) D&D movies so far presented. Drizzt and drow fans would probably become similarly divided on opinion.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  10:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I was referring to the pictures where they were posted first.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  10:49:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would see a movie about the Knights of Myth Drannor.

That would be fun.

Or maybe Richard Baker's Blades of the Moonsea...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  12:50:38  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we'd see better sales over-all if it were a Drizzt's movie because I don't think the FR name would be enough. Frankly I dont think it could stand alone w/o Drizzt to start it all. Much like X-Men for the Marvrel franchise.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  14:58:15  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great as it would be, I struggle envisage Hollywood doing Drizzt justice. And how could you condense everything in the Realms into 90 minutes running time?
In the ideal and utterly unrealistic world, I'd love to see a ongoing TV series written by the people who really know and love the Realms, perhaps animated to the same quality of the Clone Wars cartoons but with the storytelling depth and adult themes of Babylon 5. The Harpers would make great protagonists!
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  14:58:38  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FR franchise isn't big enough for Hollywood. You would need Drizzt in order to make it appealing to a wider audience off the bat.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  03:34:27  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, I think that doing a Drizzt movie a'la Hellboy would be perfect. just the right amount of both heroism, gore, and "family" fun. It doesn't have to be gritty like 300, or super-hero'y like X-Men, to be good. Hmm, maybe LotR would be a great way to go, in terms of how to present it. Those movies all did tremendously well, even with people who had never read a Tolkien book in their lives. They were just pure great fantasy. Animated could be fun, but only if it was drawn REALLY well (I'm thinking Avatar-quality CGI stuff, here, or perhaps a high-quality anime style.) AND had some great voice-acting. A TV show would be awesome- remember how well Hercules and Xena did back in the 90's!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  06:00:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm, maybe LotR would be a great way to go, in terms of how to present it.

Agreed. It's not only great, I say it's also the safest.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  07:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Driizt will be animated starting in Icewinddale immediately. For the whole action course.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  00:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Oh quite. I meant turning the discussion into the ever-discussed, never-realized FR movie.

And on that note, Joss Whedon to direct! [runs]

Spam + 1.

Cheers

You are quite right, of course. Discussion of an R.A. Salvatore movie adapting the adventures of the Companions of the Hall and/or the early years of Drizzt Do'Urden was off-topic for the thread this was posted on.

It appears to be on-topic for this, the newest thread I could find discussing the specific topic.

Here, I can state that I would not wish to see Joss Whedon direct, as I rarely enjoy his work*, but that he would not be as bad as some other possibilities.

If this was ever done (which I doubt), I would favour an HBO series covering Homeland, Exile and Sojourn and then movies for the first three books of the adventures of the Companions of the Hall. Not that I would expect success of the series or that I would ever invest in such a project myself.

Some potential producers, writers or directors** I could see working on it include Bruno Heller (primary writer for 'Rome'), John Milius (Conan the Barbarian as well as an impressive body of work too long to summarise), Daniel Minahan (occasional director for Deadwood, Game of Thrones, True Blood, etc.), Tim Van Patten (TV veteran, including executive producing Boardwalk Empire), Brian Kirk (director, various, inc. The Tudors, Brotherhood and Game of Thrones), Alik Sakharov (cinemotagrapher, inc. Rome), Gregg Fienberg (Twin Peaks and so much more), David Milch (Deadwood) and either or both of David Benioff and W.B. Weiss (Game of Thrones writers and executive producers).

There is, to my knowledge, just one good fencing choreographer regularly working in Hollywood. His name is William Hobbs and without him, you might as well skip the whole thing.

Giorgio Antonini seems to know how to handle a sword, but it's impossible to determine to what extent glaring flaws in some of the things he's worked on are his fault.***

There are any number of talented and experienced Far Eastern martial artists, some of whom can also choreograph weapons, but their art is very stylised and far removed indeed from what I consider exciting swordwork and fight choreography****. Nevertheless, some of the action, especially with drow warriors, absolutely justifies this style. I would like Donnie Yen (actor, martial artist and emerging fight choreographer) or Siu-Tung Ching (choreographs Hero and the opening ceremony of the Bejing Olympics, among others), but there is a host of talented men in this field, for all that I dislike their specific style for anything not meant as a visual poem.

*His work on the script of X-Men must rank as some of the worst dialogue ever written.
**The terms have started blurring significantly, with the prefered term for the principal creative director of a televsion series becoming 'showrunner' and the man who has the most influence on the final product in a movie being either the director or the executive producer (or even someone with quite a different title), depending on a lot of things. Directors with familiar names, so far, have a lot more authority over their movies than is necessarily the case with others.
***Unlike Hobbs, his title rarely carries the connotations of at least limited authority implied by fight choreographer, being instead usually something related to coordinating or managing stunts, training the crew in weapons or, amusingly, 'swordmaster'. I get the feeling that he rarely has the chance to change the script to suit the swordfighting, but must instead try to work with the director's vision, which is often informed with what appears to be a negative level of knowledge about fencing.
****I love some Chinese wuxia movies as work as visual art, but I find it impossible to become immersed in a storyline or invested in a supposed dangerous situation while people continue to perform dance steps and acrobatics, inviting their opponent to kill them on a second-by-second basis.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  08:44:33  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a Drizzt movie would be a great idea. Its about time we got a movie or at least a TV show about the realms.
Look at Games of Thrones it was both critically and commercially successful.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  16:03:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I think a Drizzt movie would be a great idea. Its about time we got a movie or at least a TV show about the realms.
Look at Games of Thrones it was both critically and commercially successful.

There are many, many stories in the Realms. Many have been told, and many more can be told... I really don't want yet another itineration of a story that's already been told twice. Personally, if we were going to see the Realms in another media, I'd prefer a new story.

After all, every Realms author has always told new stories. In the novels and anthologies, it's always been new stories, not rehashing old ones (note: rehashing and reprinting are not the same thing). We had new tales when we had the DC/TSR comics.

And even Erevis Cale and Drizzt Do'Urden were once new characters that no one had heard of.

Now, if we absolutely have to rehash an old story instead of telling a new one, I'd rather see one on Erevis. I'm actually not a fan of Erevis, but he's also very popular, and telling his story would be far easier than dealing with what would be perceived as racism, in a Drizzt tale.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000