Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Musical Instruments
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  03:06:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ionik Knight

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oh, I knew what you were talking about. I apologise if I implied otherwise. My message was really for the sake of the entire lot of scribes here at Candlekeep -- to remind them of where this site stands on such legal issues.

Firmly on the Lawful-Good side

That may be for Candlekeep. But the Lady K has often said that my own personal alignment tends to sway a little too far toward the alignment of CP -- "Chaotic Procrastinator."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  03:44:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, I knew what you were talking about. I apologise if I implied otherwise. My message was really for the sake of the entire lot of scribes here at Candlekeep -- to remind them of where this site stands on such legal issues.

That may be for Candlekeep. But the Lady K has often said that my own personal alignment tends to sway a little too far toward the alignment of CP -- "Chaotic Procrastinator."

Only a little? That's like saying the Pacific Ocean has a little water in it!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  04:17:38  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Only a little? That's like saying the Pacific Ocean has a little water in it!

There are, I've been told, just a few stars in the sky.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  17:48:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the unofficial stance - "don't ask, don't tell"?

Or, "what happens at the 'keep, STAYS at the 'keep."

And I'm thinking Sage is more of a Lawful-Procrastinator. Chaotic-types tend not to make lists of stuff they will never get to. At least he makes a conscious and clerical effort in achieving his goals of universal procrastination.

Hey! That sounds like a religion!

Edit: Here's a funny link - the sort of superhero I can see The Sage being.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Oct 2010 17:53:47
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  20:56:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, back to OP, and legalities of 2e materials aside for the moment, Aurora's Catalog is indeed a good listing of musical instruments. Another good source is the 2e PHBR7/Complete Bard's Handbook - it's more like a complete index of "all" of the musical instruments in the game (including some not found in RL, at least not in recent centuries). The instruments themselves are generally given only cursory descriptions, but the book lets you see how they are grouped and related, it's a good starting reference.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  01:13:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Well, back to OP, and legalities of 2e materials aside for the moment, Aurora's Catalog is indeed a good listing of musical instruments. Another good source is the 2e PHBR7/Complete Bard's Handbook - it's more like a complete index of "all" of the musical instruments in the game (including some not found in RL, at least not in recent centuries). The instruments themselves are generally given only cursory descriptions, but the book lets you see how they are grouped and related, it's a good starting reference.

Note, however, that some of the instruments referenced in the Bard's Handbook don't have equivalent examples in the Realmslore. So if you intend to drop them into your campaign, you'll probably want to craft some Realmslore for it. Which I'd be glad to help out with, if any scribe's interested.

* In fact, I may just add that to my "To-Do" list.

Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  05:54:22  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read Jack Vance's 'Durdane Trilogy' for the adventures of a musician on a far-off world. Various musical instruments and performances are described in passing throughout the trilogy. Vance's work is always great for little bits of detail (and, of course, his 'Dying Earth' stories are where the D&D magic system came from originally).

Writings on Sharess: Thoughts & Prayers by Xaviera ~ High Priestess of Sharess
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  07:17:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a vaguely related topic ... I'm struggling to find out where to place a certain reknowned Sage of Opera and Fine Arts in my (circa 1358DR/ToT) Realms campaign. It's one of those inconsequential-seeming details that's strangely very significant. Specifically, I need to know where to find all the finest opera houses and theatres of Faerūn, in particularly those between Thay and the Moonsea, lol. Any takers?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  07:28:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faerun has opera?! Huh- who knew....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  08:10:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it does. In one of the novels Drizzt comments that he'd rather endure torture by Lolth's handmaidens than listen to opera. Something like that.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  08:12:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On a vaguely related topic ... I'm struggling to find out where to place a certain reknowned Sage of Opera and Fine Arts in my (circa 1358DR/ToT) Realms campaign. It's one of those inconsequential-seeming details that's strangely very significant. Specifically, I need to know where to find all the finest opera houses and theatres of Faerūn, in particularly those between Thay and the Moonsea, lol. Any takers?

Selgaunt is well renowned for its opera scene, and has noted extravagant venues for such performances. [src: The Sembia novels series.]

I've several other locations listed in my notebooks. I'll take a look when I get home.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  08:15:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Faerun has opera?! Huh- who knew....

Indeed, it does. As I just noted above, Selgauntan opera is one particular example.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  08:30:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@The Sage,
Thanx! Any opera in Thay or the Vast?
Just knowing where I could find such weird information is helpful ... you don't really have to do my homework (though of course I won't try to stop you, lol).

@Alystra
How could such a worldly and gifted bard have never heard of the opera? Phantoms of the Opera, The Barber of Syluné, Manshoon and the Pyrotechnic Dreamrobe? Civilized people can't hang around in bars all day, y'know.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  08:41:32  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL!! Touche!! So you're a fan of Anders Loyd Webbin, then? Anyway, didn't I mention that bard is from off-world? He's not experienced Faerun's opera scene yet....

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  08:50:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neither have my players. Mwoohahahahaaaa

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  09:08:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@The Sage,
Thanx! Any opera in Thay or the Vast?
I'll get back to you on that. I know of an off-hand reference to Thayvian opera... but I will have to check up on that.
quote:
Just knowing where I could find such weird information is helpful ... you don't really have to do my homework (though of course I won't try to stop you, lol).
Think nothing of it. I love digging through musical Realmslore. 'Tis my favourite aspect of the Realms.
quote:

LOL!! Touche!! So you're a fan of Anders Loyd Webbin, then? Anyway, didn't I mention that bard is from off-world? He's not experienced Faerun's opera scene yet....

If either you or your bard are looking for some recommendations, let me know. I'll "all-over" the Realms opera scene.

*All this opera chatter has only further served to remind the Sage that the fantastical land of Australia recently lost one of its own operatic "greats." Dame Sutherland will be missed.*

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  09:40:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to OT - Musical Instruments in the Realms - sorry about the unintentional scrolljacking.

Since the opera topic is apparently much more involved than I initially anticipated it would be, I've created an Opera in the Realms scroll where it can be continued.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 14 Oct 2010 09:43:37
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  09:57:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just noticed this recently written scroll, Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010), page 83

quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Can you ask Ed what his favorite Realmsian musical instrument is? As a long-time musician, the question popped into my head and I had to run over to ask!
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

As it happens, this is something Ed and I have talked about, so your answer would be:
The glinklarr, which is a tiny metal (or carved wood) mouth organ with two inner vibrating reeds (for sound output, think: kazoo) and a projecting "snout" (narrowing output rather than a flaring horn) over which are strung four to six fine strings, played one-handed with the fingers of the hand that's holding the horn to the player's lips, that subtly modify the sound with harp glissandos, guitar-like plucks and chords, or a subtle "warbling" tremelo.

I don't think this has made it into print in TSR or WotC products; I have it from Ed's "campaign starter" player notes, circa 1979. Heh; so there you go; new Realmslore!
For eerie loud long-dsitance stuff: a properly-played mournful warhorn, echoing down mountain valleys.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
735 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  15:03:37  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage,

You must also by now have added the "saceddar" to your list of instruments I'm sure. Not sure if you've read the Threat from the Sea where it features.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  17:12:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Sage,

You must also by now have added the "saceddar" to your list of instruments I'm sure. Not sure if you've read the Threat from the Sea where it features.

Indeed, I have. I appreciate the assist, however. It's always nice to have this kind of input, just in case I missed something during an earlier reading.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  12:49:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are any non-human instruments described?

Elven harps? Dwarven bagpipes and stone drums? Halfling whistles and woodwinds? Gnome brass and steam? Orcish skull drums? Wemic hunting horns? Lizardman blowgun flutes?

Outside of a few crazy-powerful artifacts, do mechanically complex instruments like keyboard harpsichords and organs exist anywhere in the Realms?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  16:23:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Elven harps? Dwarven bagpipes and stone drums? Halfling whistles and woodwinds? Gnome brass and steam? Orcish skull drums? Wemic hunting horns? Lizardman blowgun flutes?
I've got some compiled references on halfling and elven instruments in my notebooks. I'll dig them out.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  17:52:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I've got some compiled references on halfling and elven instruments in my notebooks. I'll dig them out.

Okay, off-hand, for halflings. I'm thinking maybe the tocken... since it has been referenced as being a popular instrument in many lands of the south -- including Luiren.
The 2e Complete Book of Gnomes and Halfings suggests the banjo, harmonica, and fiddle are instruments found particularly to be used by halflings across many settings -- or, rather, their equivalents. Which, in the case of the Realms, would be a either yarting or a cittern for the banjo (provided the banjo has six strings). For the fiddle... either a violin or rebec. I'm not entirely sure there is a Realms-equivalent for the harmonica -- perhaps the panpipes (birdpipes) would work best here instead.

Ed's notes to me suggest that the tantan [tambourine] is a popular halfling instrument (which was also supported by Ed's music article in DRAGON #124). As well, whistle instruments.

And, as I said earlier, the tocken is noted as being a widespread instrument -- though most southern versions tend to be made from brass. There's no specific lore saying that these are connected with halflings, just that Luiren is one of the noted locales in the south where the instrument is found. And since the tocken is classed as a percussion instrument, like the xylophone, and the halflings tend to have an affinity for percussion instruments, like the tantan, the tocken would likely have some play among halfling fesitvals and the like.

I'll tackle the other races tomorrow. I've had a little too much wine this evening, and I can no longer look at this screen for any extended length of time.

Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  23:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Outside of a few crazy-powerful artifacts, do mechanically complex instruments like keyboard harpsichords and organs exist anywhere in the Realms?

See the sidebar on page 22 of the FRCS, and of course the Harps of Myth Drannor for your Elven Harps.

The FRCS makes specific mention of the Zulkoon "a complex and semi-portable organ" used by the zulkirs of Thay.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  23:39:31  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Underdark instruments? The only ones I've really come across were in some D&D core supplement books, like the Arms and Equipment Guide, and an article on Drow life in Dragon # 298 that mentioned a complex lute-like instrument with up to sixty-four strings (don't ask me how they all fit on it) called a vazhan-do. Does Ed have any other Underdakr intruments?

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  01:48:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The FRCS makes specific mention of the Zulkoon "a complex and semi-portable organ" used by the zulkirs of Thay.

I'll note also that the zulkoon is popular in Selgaunt -- where musicians skilled in the production of music from this instrument, reside.

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Oct 2010 01:51:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  01:51:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What about Underdark instruments? The only ones I've really come across were in some D&D core supplement books, like the Arms and Equipment Guide, and an article on Drow life in Dragon # 298 that mentioned a complex lute-like instrument with up to sixty-four strings (don't ask me how they all fit on it) called a vazhan-do. Does Ed have any other Underdakr intruments?

You could ask him. I've got one or two notes on drow-specific musical instruments mentioned in the "War of the Spider Queen" books, so I'll dig those out as well.

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Oct 2010 02:39:53
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  02:24:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, thanks! I'd almost forgotten about that! Please do, good sir.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  02:45:00  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'd ask him, but we all know about "Sage Time". No telling how long it'd take for an answer, lol!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  07:05:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Zulkoon is absolutely perfect!

I can already imagine my sinister Red Wizard toiling in the sour smoke-filled dimness of his bubbling alchemical laboratory, cackling with feverish inspiration as he works his unspeakably foul experiments at the alembic ... his wildly animated rotting undead minion playing frantically powerful scores at the many complex levers of a Zulkoon. Mwoohahahaahaaa!

Suggested thematic pieces ...
Atrum Selūna ("Dark Moon"), Necromancer's Door, Despair (in the Scarlet Darkness), Red Flames of Death and Atrum Bane Cometes ("Dark Lord Cometh"), Madness in the Castle, Movements of the Bones, Spell of Unspoken Words from the infamous two-part Zulkoonar's Sinistro (aka Son of Zulkoonstein); the celebrated Dead Three Overture; the little known Groke Nocturne (aka Rashamen's Eve or Sleeping Ghosts of the Underdark); and of course the much expected evil mad wizard classic Gothic Sembian Toccata & Fugue Plane (in D minor).

Or, when feeling a little "Impish" after sniffing a few too many brimstone fumes ...
A more lively and whimsical piece, perhaps Flight of the Dragonbee (why not, eh?); Beholder of Darkness; or the demented Haunted Manshoon (aka The Grim Grinning Graveyard Dance).
(The latter not to be confused with the all-time Thayvian children's favourite, Dance of the Mortals.)

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Oct 2010 12:32:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000