Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  05:03:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
There's no need to re-post, manaeater. Both Ed and the Lady Hooded One maintain an active listing of ALL questions asked in this scroll. It's just simply an issue of time and when Ed can get to answering them. He's often very busy with a multitude of tasks, so he can't always ensure that he'll tackle your question with the same week, or month, or even year that it's asked.

However, if Ed happens to have some information pertaining to your query that's close to hand, you can be sure he'll pass it along just as soon as he and the Lady Hooded One are able.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  05:22:32  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
I'd be inclined to try to answer this one myself, but I don't want to intrude on Ed/THO's territory. Plus, I'd love to hear the "official" answers, myself.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  07:06:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
lol, I wonder if Elminster is so grumbly because, like Ed, he is faced with endless hordes of scholars armed with equally endless questions about obscurities ... perhaps Elminster also has an endlessly backlogged "to do" list filled with stuff he can just never dedicate any time towards finishing. Elminster seems to have never recovered from Lhaeo leaving for another job ... perhaps he should get a magical hamster to help out a bit.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  18:17:12  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
Big question here, I hope it's not a bother... if it's been answered before, please let me know.

Is there a list of drugs or herbal preparations for the Realms, with notes on their origins and legality in various regions?

I'm thinking here that it would be nice to have a big compiled list of:
- types of tobacco and pipeweed
- other "recreational" psychoactive drugs
- herbs used as poisons, etc.
- herbs used for various medicinal purposes
- concoctions or brews used for various purposes other than intoxication.

I'm one of those fiddlybits detail-oriented types that would also be interested not only in the origins of said drugs, but also to which markets they might end up and whether or not some of them would be illegal (and why)? I love that sort of detail.

Thanks in advance, I realize it's a giant question!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 23 Dec 2010 18:21:10
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  18:20:34  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Just finished re-reading Spellfire, and I have a few last questions:
What was the fate of Amarune of the Blood of Malaug? The idea of Elminster befriending a Malaugrym is quite intriguing, yet I can't remember her appearing anywhere else (edits?), even in Crown of Fire (although I'm planning to reread it next, so I'll find out for certain). Is there anything Ed can tell us about her fate? And is she somehow connected to Amarune in Elminster Must Die (I haven't gotten the book yet, unfortunately, yet I've heard the name)?
Lastly, the great theory espoused by scribes here of magic~=~life. I realized it has hints in these books when Shandril was healing with Spellfire. Even more so, in Crown of Fire, Sarhthor's death gives her the power to make a crown of fire. So is a Spellfire user functionally immortal, since they carry in themselves life? Can anyone wielding Spellfire/Silver Fire immediately heal themselves, thus preventing death from any wound? Is there any significance to the fact that no less than three dracoliches attacked Shandril, and were all summarily defeated? It seems to tie in with the idea that Silver Fire/Spellfire cannot be wielded/touched by undead. Since Silver Fire is controlled/monitored by Mystra, it would seem to me undead would see Spellfire as their greatest threat, no?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 23 Dec 2010 18:21:41
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  18:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
Popping in to wish Ed and the lovely THO a wonderful holiday season, and a very prosperous New Year. May you receive all that you wish for and more!

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  18:58:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Therise, Ed has compiled a LOT of lore on real-world and imaginary drugs/herbal remedies/magical concoctions for medicinal and mood-altering purposes over the years, and very little of this has ever been published because of TSR's Code of Ethics and Wizards applying the same cautious approach to anything that might be construed as support/encouragement for drug use.
These threads here at the Keep contain hints (most recently, mentions of temple rituals that involve such substances, and temple healing ditto) of some of the lore...and most of the rest of it can't be posted here because it has been requested and paid for by the publishers, so they own it (and can choose not to release it).
Ed has also detailed many poisons (concocted) and venoms (natural creature poisons, that can be "captured" and used by others), some of which (the imaginary ones) have been partially published.
Sorry...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  19:01:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Likewise, Kes_Alanadel!
May you have a happy Yule, and a brighter 2011!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  19:38:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
One last (bunch of) question for Ed from me before I shut my gob for the rest of this year:

What are the typical expected proceedings (if there are such) during a somewhat formal Waterdhavian nobles' party. I. e. is there an "right" way to serve the food (for instance: appetisers while mingling --> proper food eaten at tables --> dessert while entertainers perform), what kind of entertainment (again, if any) is provided. (Apologies if the question isn't very clearly formulated - I fear I've overdosed on the traditional Swedish (non-alcoholic) christmas drink of Julmust.

And one question for The Hooded One as well: Have you been a naughty or nice girl this year?

Merry Christmas and Joyeux Noël from Kajehase

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  19:49:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hi again, everyone.
Menelvagor, proper answers to your latest raft of questions will have to wait for Ed, but let me whittle away at the edges of the stack.
"What was the fate of Amarune of the Blood of Malaug?"
We don't know yet.
"The idea of Elminster befriending a Malaugrym is quite intriguing..."
Yes, and my private speculation is that El is playing a "long game" here: befriend younger Malaugrym so as to avoid (in them, in future) some of the enmity elder Malaugrym have for the Chosen, and the rapacious attitude they hold towards Faerun.
"And is she somehow connected to Amarune in Elminster Must Die?"
One would think so, even if it's only that the young tavern dancer is named (perhaps unwittingly) for the Malaugrym. We'll have to see, because I very much doubt if Ed's going to reveal anything here before the current Elminster novels tell us things.
"So is a Spellfire user functionally immortal, since they carry in themselves life?"
No. It's not that simple. They carry ENERGY, which can wear out as well as sustain life.
"Can anyone wielding Spellfire/Silver Fire immediately heal themselves, thus preventing death from any wound?"
No. You have to know how to heal, or experiment in doing so successfully, and there are limitations, even if you succeed.
"Is there any significance to the fact that no less than three dracoliches attacked Shandril, and were all summarily defeated?"
Yes, there's significance, though what that is hasn't been revealed yet.
"It seems to tie in with the idea that Silver Fire/Spellfire cannot be wielded/touched by undead."
That idea is an oversimplication, or rather a jumping to a PROBABLY correct, but also probably a little more complicated, conclusion.
"Since Silver Fire is controlled/monitored by Mystra, it would seem to me undead would see Spellfire as their greatest threat, no?"
Silver fire is NOT controlled by Mystra, nor can she monitor it. Rather, she can't even "see" silver fire, and so can't locate those who have it by that means (she CAN locate her Chosen by other means). However, yes, sentient undead sane and smart enough to think in long-term ways (e.g. all liches, most vampires, etc.) DO see spellfire as their greatest threat, or among their greatest threats, yes.
Ed and I have discussed these matters many times, over the years (as various rules editions and Sage Advice columns amended and clarified spellfire and the silver fire in various ways, so I'm very confident that I'm "right" in these answers, as far as I've gone in stating matters.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  19:52:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Kajehase, I've been both. "Nice" in the kindness meaning rather than following religious dictates meaning, and very, very naughty in many ways. So, on balance, naughty. Feel free to spank me after Santa's finished.
As for Waterdhavian nobles' revels, feasts, and formal dinners, there ARE "right ways" of doing things, and "usual customs," too, but they vary over time (even from season to season), by the nature of the event, by the noble house that's hosting them, and so on. Details, of course, will have to come from Ed.
When he gets some time to wade through the ever-increasing backlog...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  19:54:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Jakk, I just wanted to say that you are on to something. So is Damian (as in, Aglarond has various defenders/Thay faces various impediments), but yes, some gods sleep rather than die...
Bwoohahahaha, and so forth.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  20:04:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
manaeater, Ed will get to your question when he has time.
However, when you post "some priestess look on males like second class citizens and some priestess don't tend to know much about their fathers," you are correct, but when describing Lolth-dominated drow society, both uses of "some" would better be replaced by "almost all," and when applying your sentence to Eilistraean drow society, both uses of "some" should probably read "a handful of."
In other words, males are NOT lesser beings/pushed aside/dominated by females in most Eilstraean drow society, though they are in drow cities and lands that worship Lolth above other deities.
Believe me. When Ed was asked by TSR to create a "good" drow deity for inclusion in DROW OF THE UNDERDARK, I paid close attention (as one of his players and friends) to what he did, and discussed with us (and in a few instances, playtested with us). Ed also gave us Vhaeraun and detailed Gary Gygax's "Elder Elemental God" as "Ghaunadaur."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  20:29:21  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Therise, Ed has compiled a LOT of lore on real-world and imaginary drugs/herbal remedies/magical concoctions for medicinal and mood-altering purposes over the years, and very little of this has ever been published because of TSR's Code of Ethics and Wizards applying the same cautious approach to anything that might be construed as support/encouragement for drug use.
These threads here at the Keep contain hints (most recently, mentions of temple rituals that involve such substances, and temple healing ditto) of some of the lore...and most of the rest of it can't be posted here because it has been requested and paid for by the publishers, so they own it (and can choose not to release it).
Ed has also detailed many poisons (concocted) and venoms (natural creature poisons, that can be "captured" and used by others), some of which (the imaginary ones) have been partially published.
Sorry...
love,
THO

Well, just... darn!

I'll try to search around for the posts you mentioned, thanks for the quick reply.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  23:01:25  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
I am making an elfling NPC that is a cultivator and purveyor of pipeweed. Is there a list anywhere of the various strains and what, if any, are the effects of smoking the various weeds grown in the Realms? I saw something of a list in the Smoking in the Realms thread, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Sources?

I'm afraid only Ed could answer this to any definitive degree, as its not really a subject that's received all that much attention in the published Realmslore.

Edit: hmm, this was sort of asked/answered by Therise and The Hooded One, Weird! But would pipeweed be considered narcotic? Clearly I'm not the only one interested. The Book of Vile Darkness describes several narcotic, highly addictive substances. I just want to find some good smoke.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Dec 2010 23:19:27
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2010 :  16:24:57  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Pipeweeds were in AURORA'S WHOLE REALMS CATALOG, if I remember rightly, and I think Ed HAS said something about them, but I can't remember ifit was here or in his "New Adventures of Volo" DRAGON columns, back in the day.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2010 :  23:59:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Pipeweeds were in AURORA'S WHOLE REALMS CATALOG, if I remember rightly, and I think Ed HAS said something about them, but I can't remember ifit was here or in his "New Adventures of Volo" DRAGON columns, back in the day.

Indeed. I think I've compiled most of that relevant lore, with the intent of making it available as a separate download here at Candlekeep. I'll have to look.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  03:25:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
What is the actual meaning of 'Baelnorn'? Has it ever been defined?

I would surmise it means something akin to 'avoider of Fate', or 'Dark Destiny' - not sure. Elf-lore is one of my weak-points.

In other words, either can be interpreted to mean 'someone who has chosen a path other then the natural one the Seldarine has laid down for us'. A person who has avoided his (natural) Fate.

I was actually was wondering this while composing a Holiday-specific piece of Realmslore, which now that it has gotten much bigger then I anticipated won't be ready in-time.

Maybe next Christmas... I'm working on 'sage Time'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Dec 2010 03:25:18
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  04:12:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think it was in Cormanthyr, where it was said that 'baelnorn' means "Reverend Ones." Though it's been a while since I've read that tome, so my assumption here, may be off somewhat.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  04:46:16  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
I have a question relating to Eilistraee as well. I have a Pc who is wanting to get married, and was wondering what kind of ceremonies they use, how long do they last, what sort of vows, celebrations, etc, could one expect? Where would it be held, and when? Okay, that's actually several questions, but thanks in advance for any assistance!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 25 Dec 2010 04:52:00
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  05:01:24  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
All right Sage, I'll check back to remind you, but maybe, for my sake, it would be better if I know what issues of Dragon to look in. It's not that I don't believe that you'll get around to it. Let me see, how can I put this delicately? It's just that I don't want to make more work for you?!?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  05:32:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Merry Christmas, Ed and THO, and Happy Holidays to everyone else here while I am at it. Bouncing ideas off you guys is one of the few joys I have remaining.

God Bless.
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I think it was in Cormanthyr, where it was said that 'baelnorn' means "Reverend Ones." Though it's been a while since I've read that tome, so my assumption here, may be off somewhat.

Figures, one of the few tomes I haven't yet read-through (just bits of it). Have I mentioned I don't like Elves?

I thought the 'Norns' part of it might have a 'deeper meaning'. Elves ARE related to the Norse pantheon through the Vanir (Fey).

I think I may have mis-construed the 'bael' part - it means something akin to 'Blessed' I guess. I was thinking 'mael' or 'mal', which usually means 'bad' or 'ill' linguistically.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Dec 2010 05:35:56
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  06:26:29  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
MT- maybe it could mean "blessed by the fates"? Or simply "one with a blessed fate"? It was supposed to be considered a very high honor to become one, and IIRC, it required a blessing from the Seldarine and a High Magic ritual to created them.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  07:42:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

All right Sage, I'll check back to remind you, but maybe, for my sake, it would be better if I know what issues of Dragon to look in. It's not that I don't believe that you'll get around to it. Let me see, how can I put this delicately? It's just that I don't want to make more work for you?!?

Actually, I was referring to Malcom's statement about Ed posting lore here at Candlekeep. I've compiled that info, since it's often a question that comes up here every once and a while.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  13:42:48  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I have a question relating to Eilistraee as well. I have a Pc who is wanting to get married, and was wondering what kind of ceremonies they use, how long do they last, what sort of vows, celebrations, etc, could one expect? Where would it be held, and when? Okay, that's actually several questions, but thanks in advance for any assistance!

There will be dancing.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  14:50:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Merry Christmas to Ed, the lovely Lady Hooded One, and everyone else!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Dec 2010 14:52:56
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  17:10:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Agreed, o Wooly one! Merry Christmas (and other holiday celebrations) to all the Readers, Scribes and our illustrious designers/authors/imaginative heroes here at the 'keep.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

manaeater
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  17:20:37  Show Profile Send manaeater a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

There will be dancing.

And singing :) Merry Christmas to everyone
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  18:47:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I believe Kajehase was making a rather clever reference to the final scene in the movie My Best Friend's Wedding.

For some reason, Julie Roberts can make a 'chick flick' watchable. Cameron Diaz is just a big plus.

First Project Runway, then Little Mermaid, and now chick-flick references... I need to get into a bar fight SOON....

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Dec 2010 18:49:46
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  19:29:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

I believe Kajehase was making a rather clever reference to the final scene in the movie My Best Friend's Wedding.

For some reason, Julie Roberts can make a 'chick flick' watchable. Cameron Diaz is just a big plus.

First Project Runway, then Little Mermaid, and now chick-flick references... I need to get into a bar fight SOON....

Yes... that's what I was doing... very clever wasn't it?

Spoiler:
If I was referencing anything, it was, in a not at all clever way, There Will be Blood - but only the title.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000