Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 who do u want to see novelized?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  09:38:16  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Than I don't understand whats the argument about, because I only said it would be boring if those guys would be the main characters?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  10:19:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
All the magical power in the world isn't going to help you save an important relationship, for instance, or make the right choice about what to *do* with that power--do you support this king, or that? Who died and made you the goddess of magic, to impose your will on others?

Those sorts of conflicts.

As I said I don't say powerful beeings shouldn't b in a novel but I think they should be antagonists instead of protagonists.

Either powerful antagonists or protagonists work fine with me. In the end, what would really matter is how convincing the conflict is and how fun does the author use his characters.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  15:52:01  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Ok, here we go. Which of the famous
NPC's of the realms would u like to
see in their own novel? Name them off
and maybe well be sending WOTC a
message.
I apologise if I mispell
anything.

My vote goes to Halaster. His past is mystery, actions unpredictable, power unquestionable..., Elminster gone wrong, indeed.

Halaster reminds me of somebody whose fate has been play of circumstances with unhappy ending. With other words, I like to think of him as gifted arcanist who gained unthinkable power, but unwittingly lost his mind - i.e. originally good man whose life has been tangled ball of professional accomplishments and personal loses.

To think of Faerun without him is as to think of household with a family member gone missing.

Tren
Go to Top of Page

Deathspawned
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  16:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Deathspawned's Homepage Send Deathspawned a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose mirt but want to see it as "how mirt became mirt"...I really want to see more novels by Ed that show what made the realms and the people who shaped(or where shaped)the realms.I would love to see how alot of these people became the powerful more than the "im powerful and do as i please".I'd also like to see El raising the sisters(might be funny as heck)or of who raised the other sisters,early years of the Blackstaff,a how's narm(spellfire)btw(what happend to him after everything(is he a powerful mage did he fall apart,did he have to run and hide still,etc.)),etc.
Guess im just nestalgic for the old days(pre wizards)and i do love lore and would love to see some NDA's taken care of in some of these novel's in the process lol.

Death
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  03:56:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought of another one I'd like to see in a novel: Baelam the Bold. Love that character!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  05:08:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Any of the 12 Shadovar princes who didn't have enough 'stage time' in RotA and TW trilogies.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  14:03:35  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
All the magical power in the world isn't going to help you save an important relationship, for instance, or make the right choice about what to *do* with that power--do you support this king, or that? Who died and made you the goddess of magic, to impose your will on others?

Also, rulers and great archmages make decisions based on a context of relationships and probable short- and long-term effects that's too complex to start to explain (through a highly internal/subjective narrative or otherwise) in a normal-length novel without making it the focus of the book. So books featuring them tend to contrive to put them in temporary simpler situations, simulating the lives of more middling sorts (who act in an equally complex web of meaning and cause, but aren't as aware of it).
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
This, I think, became a major problem in 3e, which the author/designers don't care to admit - the next RSE had to be even more spectacular then the last.
One at least did, bless his cotton socks.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowaxe
Acolyte

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  16:42:31  Show Profile  Visit Shadowaxe's Homepage Send Shadowaxe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although not famous, I would love to see Mumchance and his mutts in their own novel! (complete with all dwarvish commands - Sit! Stay! Fetch!)

Mead, mead, from the honey bee,
How I long to drink thee.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  04:33:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is that really a dwarf's name? I like how it sounds. Might use it as my dog's name.

Go to Top of Page

jaelin910
Acolyte

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  14:36:02  Show Profile Send jaelin910 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Regular people are boring

I would disagree with this. Most regular people are interesting enough if you tap into the right parts of their lives and personalties. Regular people in irregular situations always have great potential.

if they are in irregular situations then they cant be "average people" making them irregular people in irregular situations
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  15:57:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaelin910

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

I would disagree with this. Most regular people are interesting enough if you tap into the right parts of their lives and personalties. Regular people in irregular situations always have great potential.

if they are in irregular situations then they cant be "average people" making them irregular people in irregular situations

Wait -- you're saying that being in an irregular situation means one is not average? I can't see that. Just because something happens that puts someone in a situation, it doesn't mean that the person isn't your average Joe. There's a difference between seeking out irregular situations and being an innocent bystander when one happens.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  16:04:36  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaelin910

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

I disagree. An average person can show themselves to be exceptional when put into an exceptional situation (something that often becomes over used), but not necessarily. The same goes for a person thought before hand to be exceptional, he or she can show themselves to be quite ordinary. On the other hand it could be argued that afterwards the fact that the person had been in the situation in question would make them somewhat extraordinary.

Take a robbery for example. That puts an ordinary person in an extraordinary situation; now that person can handle that situation in the ordinary (and sensible way)way of giving up their money and being scared, but some people will of course react in other ways.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  17:52:29  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster OF COURSE!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  20:20:08  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Olothontor, “The Minstrel Wyrm”

Or one of the other more unusual dragons. Must be either evil or one of the weaker metallics! Uber babe the song dragon or wonder wyrm the gold drake need not apply!

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Enwy
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  20:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Enwy's Homepage Send Enwy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd voted "Other". Even though she's already had "War In Tethyr", I'd love to see another novel about Zaranda, and preferably Haedrak as well, since the Scholar King needs some love too. Preferably together, as their relationship makes me smile.

Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  21:41:04  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, needless to say I am surprised by the results so far.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  04:30:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd vote to novelize Halaster or Larloch. Perhaps Manshoon. Incidentally, there's a real shortage of female villains in the Realms.

To be honest - I'd half prefer my favourite villains never appear in novels.

The novels tend to do a lot of damage to cool and powerful evil/insane characters. They are sometimes portrayed as tragic/misguided anti-villains who are unwillingly condemned to plod the path of the dark side. Or they become inept blunderers who dare too much and have a conveniently exploitable crippling achilles heel. Some are just dehumanized or rendered as so randomly irrational that they become little more than predictable/unbelievable melodramatic props. What I'm saying is that these wonderful villains (with their well-established ruthless, malign, and treacherous virtues; with their power, ambition, and scheming; with all their unnerving emotionless calm or maniacal mad cackling) are often turned into convenient sacrifices upon the alter of paperback entertainment. They often emerge much worse off for the experience. They typically don't behave the way a real PC/NPC would in a campaign (certainly not one as intelligent and accomplished as these must be); they behave more like they're following unsophisticated television/Hollywood scripts. It is interesting that they can sometimes enthrall entire nations or build massive armies, and yet (even in the face of tired cliché) their allies ultimately desert or betray them when it matters most. C'mon! Powerful (evil) organizations in RL (historical and modern) attract all sorts of capable and fanatical henchmen, a few of whom are more despicable and capable of greater evil atrocities than their leaders, and who will often defend their evil cause unswervingly. Even if it's only because their loved ones will be harmed if they fail.

Szass Tam has done well for himself in the novels, if perhaps pushed just slightly over the top; more than just a lich and a zulkir, with a collection of unstoppable artifacts, alliances with (or subjugation of) ancient/divine evil powers, and limitless legions of undead. True, he's been around a few centuries and has been keeping himself busy accumulating power and knowledge in numerous short stories, so perhaps this is forgivable.

The Princes of Shade (except Telemont, Rivalen, Brennus, and perhaps Melegaunt) are all basically faceless and interchangable and don't seem to evoke any particular respect, interest, or feeling.

Other villains like Tyranthraxus, Maligor, and Cyric have been very shallow and two-dimensional. Some attempt to add interesting character flaws, backstory, or humanity is often made ... but these villains just don't quite cut it, and to be honest, each successive novelization just exaggerates them and hastens their decay even faster. True, they might achieve epic or godly levels of power but they're still just unsatisfactory bad guys who might as well be swapped with a single-session end of module BBEG. Just my opinions.

[Edit]
These comments apply just the same towards novelization sometimes eroding perfectly good heroes for generic consumption.

Maybe I'm just old school and believe it's the character that matters. Not his magical scimitars, or ability to wield spellfire or silverfire or hellfire or water-balloons, or cast mighty spells of destruction, or have psionic/mental powers, or rare (and sometimes rule-breaking) supernatural curses/gifts and abilities. A real villain or hero is based on who the character is and what he does, not on what the character's resume sheet lets him do.

On the other hand - I'll admit that my players would be terrified if I used Manshoon or Szass Tam against them, due largely to what they've read (and know I've read) about these characters in various novels. The novels, regardless of any technical or contentual "issues" they might have, do a wonderful job of adding life and depth to the Realms setting.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Oct 2010 08:47:51
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  03:16:27  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Manshoon. I would like to see more of him (The Manshoon Wars in particular, founding the Zhentarim a close second)and through him we can get more of several other characters like Hesperdan and Fzoul. Having said that, books about Larloch, Halaster, and the Srinshee would make for interesting insights. A book about Mirt could make for an interesting non magic centered book (unless I've not yet read the books about Mirt's magical abilities, I've got a pretty big stack I'm working through).

Arik, we had a discussion about the idea of a villain centric series a few months ago found here. Some of the things you mentioned were brought up. I think it can be done. It's a matter of walking the tight rope of avoiding making the character a complete scum bag (evil all the time, in all areas of their life) and also avoiding making them some emo lashing out at the cruel, cruel world. They can have a tragic background, but it has to be done with care. They need that moment where they accept that their background may have lead them to the door to evil, but they chose to step through it and never look back. I also agree with your example of Szass Tam as a villain who has been done fairly well. I also think the few Princes of Shade that have been focused on have been handled well. To me, Brennus in particular is a good example. You know given who hhe is that he will probably do anything to make reborn Netheril succeed, but we also know that he deeply cared for his mother and is obviously capable of compassion. There's complexity there, even though he is evil. That's what I would like to see for some of the other villains. Mainly the human (or former human) villains.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  04:23:40  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all villians are complex, now not all authors
are talented enough to show the other sides of
the equation. T
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  06:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

the equation. T

That is true. We run that risk with any story though.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  06:18:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are all excellent points, Tyrant, alt-art. A poor writer, like a poor artist, lacks the talent or skill to truly create a masterpiece.
(Can the observer perceive more beauty in a piece of art than the creator put into it? Can the antagonist in a story be more villainous than the writer can express? Perhaps the characters in these novels should only be written by dark and villainous people, lol?)

Perhaps arbitrary limitations are imposed by the publisher as well - the volume must describe other aspects (like the hero or certain plot elements) of the story in sufficient detail but remain constrained to a certain word count, or the deadline is inadequate to allow final touches, or the content may need to be edited/censored to be appropriate for a target audience or age group, etc.

Agreed with something another sage spoke - people don't really care much about the villain anyways, they want to read about Drizzt.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  01:58:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

the equation. T

I don't think we need worry about this. In the current roster of WotC authors, almost ALL are capable enough to show the complexities of the characters mentioned in this thread.

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  00:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Larloch :O)

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  09:26:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wow! Larloch is winning. And here I am thinking I'm one of the very few who wish the Great Unknown to be Known.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  17:57:37  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to Halaster in a novel.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  02:21:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also like the Srinshee to appear in a Larloch novel. If they could - and they did - appear together in a short story, why not in a novel, too?!

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2016 :  16:49:50  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the second "Other." Nar-Aidiya, the Bonfire, the ruthless leader of the Brotherhood of the True Flame would be my choice.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2016 :  17:01:13  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was an interesting thread to resurrect. I'm wondering how people feel now that some of the characters mentioned have been novelized.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2016 :  17:29:34  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

This was an interesting thread to resurrect. I'm wondering how people feel now that some of the characters mentioned have been novelized.

Satisfied or disappointed depending on the quality of the novel.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2016 :  16:50:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One I wish got more screen time was Sahbuti Shanardanda (FRCS, pg. 155). He was a monk/sorcerer/shadow adept in the employ of the Dark Moon order, dedicated to the cult of Shar and worked up and down the Sword Coast.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000