Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 who do u want to see novelized?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  12:45:58  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would NOT like to see Larloch novelised. I prefer him as he is right now, unknown, but surely almighty. I do not think he should take part in some great plot that would reveal his plans and is character to the readers (even just a fraction). Besides, I'd trust only Ed to write that one, and he's plenty busy at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  15:56:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I voted Larloch. 'Tis time to make the Great Unknown known. But a novel is not enough. It should be a pentad at least.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  18:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Halaster vs. Larloch?

I smell summer blockbuster.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  18:39:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree completely with Kilvan on this one -

For a movie, Larloch is cliche', sorry. Icky undead uber-wizard is the ultimate villain-trope. He's Sauron with a personality.

I like what he represents in the Realms (and I am sure there is a LOT more to him then we know), but as a movie character its been done to death. The directors & writers will just Frak him up and make him a a cross between The Mummy and Pinhead. Larloch is too 'deep' to be handled aptly on the big screen, and too much will be lost in translation, IMHO.

I can say the same for Halaster, movie-wise...

But a novelization of some sort of ancient rivalry between the two - one that perhaps pre-dates Netheril itself, would be friggin' awesome.

In Marvel comics (yes... I go there a LOT...), it is said that both Dr. Doom and Doctor Druid were both 'precursors' to Doctor Strange (all have very similar origins) - guys who were 'tested' and didn't 'measure-up' to be THE 'Sorcerer Supreme'.

Maybe... Larloch and Halaster are like Dr. Doom and Doctor Druid in that regard, and Elminster is like Doctor Strange.

We are on our third 'Mystra', after all... that we know of....
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

There are allready Novels with Ka'Narlist. He plays some part in Evermeet and there is at least one short story with him where he creates the suaghin race.
Ummmm... there is?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Sep 2010 18:44:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  00:42:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In Marvel comics (yes... I go there a LOT...), it is said that both Dr. Doom and Doctor Druid were both 'precursors' to Doctor Strange (all have very similar origins) - guys who were 'tested' and didn't 'measure-up' to be THE 'Sorcerer Supreme'.
Heh. As an extension of this, one of my all-time favourite Marvel tales was the What If?: Doctor Doom Become Sorcerer Supreme. I loved it! Of course, being a huge Strange and Doom fan myself, that was almost a given.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  02:21:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Cheers

Indeed. But there should be a book trilogy first.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  03:04:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There are allready Novels with Ka'Narlist. He plays some part in Evermeet and there is at least one short story with him where he creates the suaghin race.
Ummmm... there is?

Yup. He was in Evermeet, in some of the past chapters, and the story of his creation of the sahuagin was in Realms of the Arcane, and republished in Best of Elaine.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  05:22:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know him from Evermeet, but was unaware of his other story.

Embarrassingly, I have neither of those anthologies.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  06:30:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted Mirt...written by ED...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  07:15:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh don't worry, MT--this was a jest.

And for the record, Larloch is WAY more complicated than Sauron. Not that you could easily explain that in the course of a 2-hour movie, so I agree--book series FTW.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  09:43:42  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are some really interessing stories in those, so you should try to get them when you're searching for something to read :)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  10:45:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There are some really interessing stories in those, so you should try to get them when you're searching for something to read :)

Seconded. I am usually not into short fiction, but I made some exceptions with a few stories in those anthologies.

Go to Top of Page

jaelin910
Acolyte

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  12:08:00  Show Profile Send jaelin910 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. what is the difference between other and other?
2. assuming he isnt already actually in a book(and i just realised how likely it is that he is) karsus
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  16:34:06  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other, I'd rather not read about any more mages. A book about Pereghost of Darkhold, or about one of the lesser known Lords of Waterdeep, a traitorous one like Kerrigan. Or about Mintiper Moonsilver's time in the Tel Teukiira.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  17:32:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about this -

An anthology set during the Plague Years (first decade), on how various folks coped. "Realms of Plague"? Realms of Change"? "Realms of Blue Fire"? (that one is kinda catchy)

Not the 'big guns', mind you, although a couple of those stories would be okay. What I want to read about is HUMAN INTEREST - Screw Elminster - tell me what Jhaele was doing when the poop hit the fan. How were the villages in the north affected? How did the folks along the coast of the Dragonmere feel about being annexed? How did the people of Sembia take the Shades running things (because even if its not public-knowledge, people ARE going to figure it out anyway).

What happened to the centaurs in Thay when things started getting bad (or rather, WORSE)? What sort of craziness transpired all over Cormanthor (given the sheer number of magical relics there). What were the shades doing? Or the Bedine for that matter...

What did the humanoids do, and how did they feel about it? Did Obould gain power during those years, or was he in just as much of a pickle as his human counterparts? What of the Serpent Folk? There is a 'new god in town' for them - how did they take that?

And most of all, what of Returned Abeir? I'm sure those folks were kinda shell-shocked for that first decade. As it is now, it almost seems (unrealistically) that they took things 'in stride'. And while I am at it, how about the last days of those that are gone? Maztica, Halruaa, Nimbral, the Mulan... are they 'in a better place'?

I want to read stories about regular people, and how they handled what was possibly THE MOST INTERESTING period of Faerun's long history.

What we have now is something similar to the events leading up to WWII (which are interesting unto themselves), and then you give us the 50's... without ever writing about the damn war! That's what it feels like. I admit the Spellplague is fascinating...SO TELL ME ABOUT IT!

I feel like an anthropologist, and while that particular profession is uber-cool, it would be so much cooler to actually be able to SEE how those ancient peoples lived, and worked, and loved... there are some insanely good stories there just waiting to be tapped.

Don't just show me a Statue of Liberty half-buried in the sand... tell me what the hell happened! Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Oct 2010 17:39:32
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  20:17:27  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regular people are boring

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  02:59:48  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kevrick Crescentmoon - my own creation ;) He is a gypsy that travels all throughout Toril performing deeds decreed by a triad of gods (Oghma being one of them). The only mention of him is fleeting in a Dungeon article-- but if I were to write a Realms novel, he would be my protagonist :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  03:57:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, if we're going to mention characters we made up, I can toss out a dozen or so from my Hooks, plus I'm still hoping to someday see one of my Lords of Waterdeep get made canon.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  04:38:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Heh, if we're going to mention characters we made up, I can toss out a dozen or so from my Hooks, plus I'm still hoping to someday see one of my Lords of Waterdeep get made canon.

Of course, there's also Sage Operth... which Krash saw fit to grant as "canon" in lore he posted here at Candlekeep. But I'd also love to see him [or me, as you prefer] pop up somewhere in future printed Realmslore too.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  05:35:47  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a fey'ri bladesinger that I'd love to see mentioned even if just in passing one day. He's in my signature below. Telethian Ealoeth, though he uses "Phoenix" as a last name in honor of the symbol of House Dlardrageth. In his true form, the enchanted tattoo on his back of the phoenix in enchanted flames that seem to burn transforms into the symbol of House Dlardrageth (which I adore, and use the symbol as presented in Lords of Darkness). And may I say that I'm also a huge fan of the bladesong style Mr. de Bie came up with and developed for Telethian. My friend, if you read this, again you have my heartfelt thanks. Also, tell Cythara that Telethian sends his respects.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 06 Oct 2010 05:36:31
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  10:17:02  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Regular people are boring

I would disagree with this. Most regular people are interesting enough if you tap into the right parts of their lives and personalties. Regular people in irregular situations always have great potential.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  11:44:53  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I aggree, a book with some powerfull beeing like Larloch, the Simbule etc. as main character would be very boring in my opinion because they can just do what they want to do.

Those types of guys should only act in the background with short appearances. The haunted lands triology is a good example for this. Szass Tam played an important role in it but he wasn't the main character.
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  13:07:03  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Larlochs and Simbuls are ordinary in Forgotten Realms, on the other side I'm sick of peasants and farmboys in irregular situations

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  15:07:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I aggree, a book with some powerfull beeing like Larloch, the Simbule etc. as main character would be very boring in my opinion because they can just do what they want to do.
I don't think that's necessarily true. You can tell great stories with seemingly very powerful people whose power counts for very little, depending on the conflict.

All the magical power in the world isn't going to help you save an important relationship, for instance, or make the right choice about what to *do* with that power--do you support this king, or that? Who died and made you the goddess of magic, to impose your will on others?

Those sorts of conflicts.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  15:37:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the challenges they face must scale to their power-level, which leads to extreme 'Munchkinism'.

And worse - then you have to "top it" in the sequels, which often leads to jumping the shark. Once a character fights gods, what do you do for an encore?

This, I think, became a major problem in 3e, which the author/designers don't care to admit - the next RSE had to be even more spectacular then the last.

If you tell small stories about normal people who 'beat the odds', with only brief cameos by 'heavy hitters', you create the situation that happens in an RPG game. By only telling stories about god-like characters, you create the exact opposite and cause the situation that forced WotC to get rid of most of those Munchkin characters. The reasoning behind the changes (supposedly) was that the setting's NPCs made the PCs feel inferior.

How is telling stories about guys like Larloch going to help that situation? By having some nobody beat him down? That would be unrealistic; he needs a protagonist that can level the playing field.

Our Players are not going to fly into the Upper Planes and challenge gods, they are going to save the village from some werewolves, or rescue a princess, or defeat a dragon (WHICH, BTW, has become a minor obstacle BECAUSE of all this 'arms escalation' in regards to challenges).

What is wrong with writing the kinds of stories our players could have been involved with? The setting doesn't exist for the Munchkins - that's what killed it.

Normal people are NOT boring. When you put an ordinary person in an extraordinary situation amazing things happen. I think Starman said it best - "People are at their best, when things are at there worst".

On the other side of the coin, this trope has been beaten to death as well - just don't make the damn protagonist a pitiful orphan (Harry Potter, Richard Cypher, Garion, Rand al'Thor, ect), especially with a 'fake past' (Richard Cypher and Rand al'Thor's situations were nearly identical - raised by a 'phony father'). Leave the 'farmboy' at home, and just give me some down-on-their-luck adventurers trying to catch a break. That's probably the only savings-Grace of the avatar trilogy - I LIKED the party composition. It saved the whole damn trilogy for me. Normal people facing extraordinary things.

Sure three of them became gods... but that's when they got BORING.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Oct 2010 15:39:18
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  15:46:50  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
All the magical power in the world isn't going to help you save an important relationship, for instance, or make the right choice about what to *do* with that power--do you support this king, or that? Who died and made you the goddess of magic, to impose your will on others?

Yes thats true, but I'm not sure if this is interesting enough for more than a short story.
In a bigger plot you will face the problems Markustay explained, I fear.
As I said I don't say powerfull beeings shouldn't b in a novel but I think they should be antagonists instead of protagonists.

But I'm more than willing to be convinced by a good novel that I'm wrong with my fears
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  01:50:22  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't think that's necessarily true. You can tell great stories with seemingly very powerful people whose power counts for very little, depending on the conflict.

Cheers

The prime example of this, I think, is Ed's The Temptation of Elminster.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  05:45:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:

quote:

Cheers

The prime example of this, I think, is Ed's The Temptation of Elminster.

Also, Paul's Shadowrealm. And I'm with Erik on this. Powerful characters do not have the solution to everything. In Eminster in Hell, Mystra would have easily rescued his favorite Chosen had it not been to the fact that her unleashed powers in the Nine created rifts to Toril. In Shadowstorm, Telamont would have undoubtedly stopped the Shadowstorm had he not been 'busy' with some other matters, or enslaved Mephistopheles for decades if the magic to do so wouldn't strip his city of all magic.

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  09:16:45  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neither Telamont nor Mystra where the protagonists in the stories ;)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  09:22:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Neither Telamont nor Mystra where the protagonists in the stories ;)

I didn't say they are. I mentioned them in support to the words I highlighted. Solving problems, however gargantuan or wee, aren't limited to the story's protagonists; supporting characters and antagonists face problems, too, that either directly or indirectly affect the main hero.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000