Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Relationship between Shar and Lolth?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Arianthus Deszault
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  22:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Arianthus Deszault's Homepage Send Arianthus Deszault a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone!

First scroll of my own, yet I've been a long time lurker!

I am running a campaign within the 4E Realms right now. I have run into a possible bump though.

My players have already been introduced to their main foe, Shar and Netheril. However, they have also run into a drow that appears to be working with a Sharran priestess.

I would like to involve more than a single female drow though, but I am having trouble with finding a good God/Goddess that is (canonically) still around and is willing to work with Shar. My first inclination was to use Vhaeraun, but he is no longer around. I wanted to avoid Lolth, but after looking at the rest of the Dark Seldarine, I can't find a good match.

Does Lolth share a good relationship with Shar? I can't seem to find any information detailing interactions, if any exist, between the two. Is there a possible God/Goddess I am overlooking that would fit into this situation?

Thanks in advance!

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  22:50:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At one time, there was some speculation that Shar and Lolth were one and the same.

IIRC, there is even a heresy to that effect.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  23:08:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my last Forgotten Realms game, when Lolth decided to "remake" herself, she was subsumed by Shar. Lolth was trying to change herself to increase her power by taking on the Shadow Weave...she wanted the Drow to use this magic; but wanted it to be part of her.

Shar won the showdown...though none in the Realms (including the players) knew it had happened when the game ended.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  23:12:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent - that is how it should be. Mortals (even RPG players!) should NEVER know the truth of things on a cosmic scale - the divine is an enigma.

For all we know, ALL the gods are finger-puppets on the hands of some uber-deity. How does that saying go? God is an Iron...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  23:16:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...Golem?

Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  00:17:22  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, there is a relationship between the two... And it is very, very naughty. I mean evil!
Evil!

Yeah, that's what it is...

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  20:51:34  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And you know this- HOW??!! >:D

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  21:20:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lolth left her webcam on one night... amazing what two goddesses can do when one of them has eight arms.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  22:34:24  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Jaw drops* Oh, you naughty boys! Spying on goddesses... Shameful. I take it you've watched Eilistraee and Sharess having a bonfire dance, too, eh? ;)

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  23:02:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm of the idea that Shar and Lolth would have a hard time working together if they are different entities...but that doesn't mean their agents would have such a hard time doing so.

I'd say that they could do so easily enough...especially if both sides thought they were using the other side.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  00:42:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Lolth and Shar both had something to gain, and risked nothing in return, I don't see why two evil entities couldn't work together. If two 'good guys' can fight (and it happens all the time), why can't 'bad guys' be chums?

Heck, we know that Larloch has tea with Szass tam... well maybe not tea... perhaps the souls of innocents... but you get the idea.

Better yet... Bane, Myrkul, and Bhaal. If that trio can work together long-enough not to kill each other (and they did), anyone can.

And if Lolth can get all her Drow to use the Shadow Weave, that could be a win-win for both of them.

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Aug 2010 00:43:55
Go to Top of Page

HelldoG
Learned Scribe

101 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  01:08:19  Show Profile  Visit HelldoG's Homepage Send HelldoG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
And if Lolth can get all her Drow to use the Shadow Weave, that could be a win-win for both of them.

Not necessarily, because then Shar would have the advantage of supplying the drow with potent magic and the power to deny it for them. Do I think correctly that once you go "Shadow Weave" you are at Shar's mercy (in the sphere of magic at least)?

Away with powergaming propaganda! | I <3 Powergaming!

Don't feed the trolls. Especially the clever ones.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  01:17:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All ventures have risk. If one is set that aside, both could have something to gain and could bargain for it. Neither would submit to the other as both are major deities. The deal as such likely would be one of sharing some power.

Shar having more users of the Shadow Weave might be able to ascend in levels enough to try to take on AO.
Lolth, while giving up exclusive worship by Drow, with use of Shadow Weave could also rise in ranks to be able to take on AO.

I do not seeing either deity placing much trust that whatever deal made would be fully followed, and after AO was taken out (If that is goal, it could certainly have been a lessor goal like maybe taking out Corellon [which after all is deity of Elven magic] or other short term plan) each would start planning on how to take the other out.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Balduran Lavidah
Seeker

France
83 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  17:32:36  Show Profile  Visit Balduran Lavidah's Homepage Send Balduran Lavidah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar ne serait pas une déesse,mais un dieu ?

ça c'est gênant :x . Va falloir que je modifie certaines choses de mon côté. Profitons du débat : Shar est-il bien le protecteur des créatures de l'ombre ou bien un dieu avec une autre fonction ?

Shar is not a goddess, but a god ?

This is annoying :x. I'll have to change some things on my side. Let's use the debate : Shar well is the protector of the creatures of the shade or a god with a different function ?

"Le savoir s'apprend. La curiosité forme le savoir."
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  17:51:22  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get it. AFAIK Shar is still a 'she', thus a goddess.
And there was a heresy in FR saying she and Lloth are the same... don't remember the name.
Wait. I think I read somewhere they're sisters too... Anyone confirm it?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  19:05:08  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's doubtful. Lolth was formerly Araushnee, and a full member of the Seldarine- who were all created by Corellon, as far as I know. Kinda makes it hard to picture her and Shar as being the same, or even sisters, for that matter. I think that particular heresy is just that- a heresy. You get weird extremeist sects in every faith, it seems.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  05:37:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

If Lolth and Shar both had something to gain, and risked nothing in return, I don't see why two evil entities couldn't work together. If two 'good guys' can fight (and it happens all the time), why can't 'bad guys' be chums?

Heck, we know that Larloch has tea with Szass tam... well maybe not tea... perhaps the souls of innocents... but you get the idea.

Agreed. To add one more example: the evil and selfish zulkirs (and there 6 of them!) DID work together to oppose Tam. In the Realms, nearly anything is possible, and alliance between evil deities is not an exception.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Balduran Lavidah
Seeker

France
83 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  12:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Balduran Lavidah's Homepage Send Balduran Lavidah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bon alors IL ou ELLE pour Shar ? J'ai besoin d'une confirmation pour ma part ! ^^ Car en lisant en haut, j'ai du IL en description XD

Well then he or she to Shar ? I need a confirmation for me ! ^ ^ For reading above, I described in the HE XD

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  14:14:33  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar = she/elle

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  14:53:36  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Balduran Lavidah

Bon alors IL ou ELLE pour Shar ? J'ai besoin d'une confirmation pour ma part ! ^^ Car en lisant en haut, j'ai du IL en description XD

Dude can you please stop writing your posts in french?
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  15:00:32  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:
Originally posted by Balduran Lavidah

Dude can you please stop writing your posts in french?

Their in English right below the French version.
Go to Top of Page

Balduran Lavidah
Seeker

France
83 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  15:14:27  Show Profile  Visit Balduran Lavidah's Homepage Send Balduran Lavidah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Je conserve les 2 versions, car la traduction peut laisser à désirer. Tout ceci afin d'aider à la compréhension (désoler de devoir recourir toujours à cette méthode :c )

I keep two versions because the translation may be poor . All this to help understanding ( sorry to always use this method :c )

Thank you for the confirmation Kajehase

Edited by - Balduran Lavidah on 17 Aug 2010 15:16:14
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  15:52:12  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes I know but I don't care ;)
Should everyone start posting in his own language now? That would create a huge mess.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  16:05:41  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Allow me to disagree, as long as there is an English translation with each post, a foreign Realm-fan should be allowed to post his ideas/opinions. In fact, I think it is great that language is not such a barrier for scribes to share their ideas. In the end, I guess it is up to the moderators to decide.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  16:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i 'think' the problem is that he have that hard time explaining himself in english that he writes it in French (native i guess) and babelfish it (or using google translate or something) ... both ways ... which while in teory is good, fails hard on that translation tools stink and is prone to severe mistranslation

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Sian on 17 Aug 2010 16:08:33
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  16:17:11  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes I know but I don't care ;)
Should everyone start posting in his own language now? That would create a huge mess.

I think its better that someone post that way than not being able to post at all because of language ability. The translation tool might not be perfect, but its better than nothing. If the French part bothers you that much then just don't read it.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  16:35:46  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Besides, it's a great way to learn a bit of the language!! (I'm something of an amatuer lingustics person, myself. I like to try to translate it myself before looking at the actual translation. It's a good way to learn.)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  17:44:01  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no real news in the sourcebooks about any sort of relation between Lolth and Shar. There was some sort of short-lived cult devoted to both goddesses, not supported by either though.

Drow may be inclined to follow a goddess of darkness or use the Shadow Weave (who actually dissappeared with 4E along with the other Weave). Neither means that Lolth or Shar deal with one another, or, in the latter case, the drow with Shar. After all, especially recently, Shar has been portrayed as a deity of loss and nihilism, something that does not go along well with a long lived, power-hungry race.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  18:31:08  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If the French part bothers you that much then just don't read it.

Es gibt hier nur leider keine ignorieren Funktion damit Posts von Benutzern ausgeblendet werden, also muss ich es lesen wenn ich einen Thread lese ;)
Unfortunatly there is no ignore function here so I'll have to read it when I read a thread...
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  18:53:09  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood has commented on cults, usually by dead gods or corrupted cults to other gods, who are secretly supported by another deity. this is a prelude before taking the worshipers as their own, to cause mayhem, or to blacken a gods name.

It is possible Shar is creating a version of the cult of Lolth to convince the drow to worshiper her. Which might explain the love of shadow magics.

Also there are the Heresies aspect of the game introduced in 3.5's Power of Faerun, which could include Shar is Lolth/Lolth is Shar cult.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  18:56:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
If the French part bothers you that much then just don't read it.

Es gibt hier nur leider keine ignorieren Funktion damit Posts von Benutzern ausgeblendet werden, also muss ich es lesen wenn ich einen Thread lese ;)
Unfortunatly there is no ignore function here so I'll have to read it when I read a thread...

Actually this would be great, years and years of German in school and the teacher almost cried. Now I can practise and read about the Realms all at once. I wont try to answer you though, as you would roll around laughing hysterically.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000