Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Help saving my character.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  20:17:54  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this scroll.

I've recently made the mistake of bringing a good character into a group composed of primarily evil characters. I really like my character and don't want to change, but it makes things very difficult RP wise. For instance, they want to settle a dispute with a ship captain by teleporting aboard his ship, murdering everyone, and setting fire to it. My familiar (a Petal from the MMIII), RPed by our GM, also has some serious reservations about traveling with the lot. The main problem is, they're on the main plot of the adventure, and going off on my own would be a serious hassle on both the GM and the plot. Can anyone think of a reason my Sorcerer/Wizard combo should stay with this group?

Also, does anyone know of any PrC's that advance two arcane spell classes? I'm currently using the Ultimate Magus, but have

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  20:48:58  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He could be a member of the Harpers, Moon Stars or some other good orginization who's undercover and spying the evil characters.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  20:49:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Trying to "save" the party from their evil ways. Acting as a voice of conscience to them, even when they don't want to hear it.
-Downside - Probably get you killed.

2) Take the long slow tumble to evil. Their bad habits start wearing off on you and you find your alignment slipping at times.
-Downside - Means warping your original character ideal.

3) Go for a walk. Unable to stand being in their presence, your character strikes off on his own -- right out of the game.
-Downside - Roll up an new character, this one as evil as the others.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 19 Aug 2010 20:50:47
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  20:55:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get a new DM is only other option that occurs to me.

Yes I know this can be hard, but if the game is not fun for you you should no longer continue that adventure.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  21:08:55  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should stay for POWER. Amagine the power an evil group could get you. You dont have to care how they gain you the powerful componenet and items or spells... Use them, rape them, take advantage of them, and when you have gained enough power, you simply destroy them!

Muhahahahaha

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 19 Aug 2010 21:09:29
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  22:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great ideas above--I particularly like the harper one. The "lone good guy in an evil party" is a neat inversion of the traditional "lone NE guy in a goody-good party" campaign concept. The other characters don't know about your alignment, and it makes you sick to go along with the group, but you're there for some greater purpose.

Maybe your character is extremely naive and *thinks* the PCs are actually good, or maybe you're possessed of some delusion that their evil methods serves some greater good purpose? (Who knows, you might even be right!)

Your character could also be "one of the guys" who somehow got cursed into being good, and you're along for the ride until you can find a way to become good.

One of the other characters might be a really close friend/loved one of your character, and it's your duty to go along with the group to keep said individual out of trouble. Mostly by landing in it yourself.

Pretty sure Ultimate Magus is the only 3.5 PrC that advances both wizard and sorcerer levels. That was sort of the point of that PrC. Though was there another one out there? Hmm . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  22:26:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

You should stay for POWER.

The ultimate Evil act *wink*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  22:52:03  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
stay around them, and when they sleep, slit their throats and turn their heads in to the authorities for cash.

the Green hornet of the realms....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  00:07:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sighs* If the player does not want to play evil, things like "slit their throats" is not useful advice.

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  01:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

stay around them, and when they sleep, slit their throats and turn their heads in to the authorities for cash.

the Green hornet of the realms....

Heh, that reminds me of something my first "good-aligned" D&D-group would do... like slaughtering goblin women and children for the "greater good" or pushing orc corpses through a dungeon with spears to detect traps.
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  02:41:13  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've run into this same problem before, albeit on a lesser scale. One player really wanted to play a super goody-goody paladin of Torm while the rest of the party was less lawfully inclined (I think the term used was "neutral selfish"). The paladin PC decided to go the "oblivious to the group's selfish ways" route and we had a blast with the situations that came up (he purposely had a rather low wisdom).

"So, did you guys already take the reward money over to that orphanage?"
"Of course we did, while you were conveniently distracted over there"
"Great! Let's go do more good!"

I still chuckle thinking about it.

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  03:18:56  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good suggestions above, and one I favor the most would be to stay good and "under cover" until some moment will favor you to do the right thing in the end. It sorta reminds me of the movie Batman the Beginning where he turned theif and went to prison to better understand the people he would turn to fight.

As for a PrC, there really isn't much better than the Ultimate Mage. It's a pretty good PrC for both your spontaneous and prepared spellcasting.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  05:42:51  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My advice is to sit and have a chat with the DM.

Ask him point blank if he minds that ultimately you want to set the evil characters up for a fall...tell him your character would either turn them in to the authorities, set them up so that he can take them down, or lure them into a trap against powerful agents of good.

This is an inversion of what an Evil Character that was alone in a group might do...and I think the whole Harper angle is awesome.

The downside to this would be if your fellow gamers aren't all that keen on being betrayed by their own party member...which you can simply reply to them that they shouldn't have picked Evil as an alignment.

What...do they expect the world to let them go and do what they want?

If you have a decent group to play with, then this could actually be fun. Perhaps, even better, you could find a Helm of Alignment change and place it on them one at a time in their sleep.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  06:23:00  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salius Kai

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this scroll.

I've recently made the mistake of bringing a good character into a group composed of primarily evil characters. I really like my character and don't want to change, but it makes things very difficult RP wise. For instance, they want to settle a dispute with a ship captain by teleporting aboard his ship, murdering everyone, and setting fire to it. My familiar (a Petal from the MMIII), RPed by our GM, also has some serious reservations about traveling with the lot. The main problem is, they're on the main plot of the adventure, and going off on my own would be a serious hassle on both the GM and the plot. Can anyone think of a reason my Sorcerer/Wizard combo should stay with this group?

Also, does anyone know of any PrC's that advance two arcane spell classes? I'm currently using the Ultimate Magus, but have

Dude are you serious? I personally don't see *ANY* problem at all!

Think about it:

*You* are the party's primary arcane magic user (unless there's someone in your group that can trump your PC's Wizard/Sorcerer nature!)! This means you are the SMARTEST member in the party - hence they'd be fools to not value your input, be it for profit AND their own safety - *AND* you've the most capability of AoE damage.

For Chrissakes, you have a petal as your familiar!

What level is your PC? By any chance, does he have the following spells at his disposal:

-Fireball
-Darkness
-Grease (y'know, for to 'enhance' fire, as per Dragon Age rules and what's been an oversight in AD&D rules).

-Stoneskin, Invisibility, and Expeditious Retreat for defense

So why don't you juss get your petal to sing your party members to sleep, place their weapons far away from them for when they wake, then wake'em up, and....'show' them a better way to deal w/the ship captain. You could RP this that you want them to make some immediate changes, or juss that you won't stand them being so vile in this instance, for now and for future reference (as accented by the offensive spells).

The choice is yours. Make them make a choice: How much do they value the wizard's input? How much do they value the wizard in thier party? Let's remember that adventuring wizards aren't exactly in as much supply as adventuring fighters, and the wizards that are available for hire, well needless to say their services don't exactly come cheap
---
Edit: Forgot! As for the the PrC, in terms of 2e game mechanics, I figure your PC would be a wizard, and his sorcerer abilities would come in the form of 'Special Abilities.' Perhaps as such that when the PC advances to x-level, he/she gets a magical outburst special ability that can be used once/day, and it can cast this variant and that variant of (for example) 2nd-level spells, such as the 3e 4th level Shadow Conjuration spell gives you about 4 options of different spells at the wizad's disposal upon casting.

I'm sure you can use to create your own PrC for the 3e or 3.5e rules your groups appears to be using. Perhaps name it "Studious Sorcerer" PrC if your PC is a Sorcerer who still wants to study as a wizard, or "Gifted Wizard" PrC if your PC is a Wizard who has 'developed' some sorcerous abilities.

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 20 Aug 2010 06:33:16
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  16:30:41  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Thanks for all the responses, everyone. Many were very helpful. My DM and I are going to go over this thread together and find a way to make it work. I think the Haper suggestion may be the obvious choice, but my DM loves to throw unexpected surprises at me.

We're level 12, by the way (and my petal gets lucky if she can put local guards to sleep...). Again, thanks everyone!

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  16:54:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would recommend *against* forcing the party to do it your way, because (if the paladin teaches us nothing) that's not the way to win friends and influence people. Sure, you'll get away with that at first, but eventually they WILL get even, and you'll be rolling up a new character. Or, if your fellow players hold grudges, finding a new gaming group.

And that's not so unreasonable, either--they wanted to play evil characters, and that's what they're doing. Ask yourself, how would you like it if someone came into your game and dictated how you were supposed to play?

What you'd be better off doing is biding your time and picking the opportune moment to cross them. Much like the evil seed in the good party would have done.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 20 Aug 2010 16:55:30
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  18:10:47  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best way to do that would probably be to have a one-on-one with the DM, and inform the authorities of their actions "off-screen". Then wait until the party has defeated whatever main enemy the DM has set up, and turn them all in after the battle's over! That way, you get to continue as a good PC, and they get their just deserts in the end- in-game!!! (And they've no one to blame but themselves for being bad....)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Abenabin Gimblescrew
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  18:21:15  Show Profile Send Abenabin Gimblescrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to agree with Erik on this one. The DM knew he'd be running an evil campaign and so did the PCs. I'd suggest something on the lines that Alystra said. They are evil they should expect at the end that they could get punished for their crimes. I'm always reminded by the saying, "Don't do the crime if you aren't willing to do the time." Of course I'm always reminded of the other saying, "No good deed ever goes unpunished." ;)

Invention is the key to staying ahead of the competition.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  18:43:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Abenabin Gimblescrew

I'm going to have to agree with Erik on this one. The DM knew he'd be running an evil campaign and so did the PCs. I'd suggest something on the lines that Alystra said. They are evil they should expect at the end that they could get punished for their crimes. I'm always reminded by the saying, "Don't do the crime if you aren't willing to do the time." Of course I'm always reminded of the other saying, "No good deed ever goes unpunished." ;)

There is no indication that the player knew was entering an Evil party, clearly the poster is not happy with the game as it is going.
The problem is the DM not properly advising the new player and as such DM should fix or player should withdraw.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  19:00:26  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He did not say he did not know it was an evil party.... Unless he was the first to make his PC, and everyone else simply chose to go evil after his was made. I've seen people create PC's that are completely wrong for a party's general outlook, simply because they wanted something different, or partys that end up being mostly one way, while the first person wanted to go another way. It happens. As a DM, you try to accomodate everyone. If most want to play evil, then you have to come up with reasons why they CAN'T do something, if it unbalances or disrupts the basic plot or theme of the game. IE- I once had a guy who wanted to play a NE Incarnum Nec from Magic of Incarnum, and eventually decided to ban the book after it became apparent that the PC was too unbalanced for my game, (and quite frankly, did not fit my realm, in the first place). His PC started the game by trying to break two other PC's from prison, by making a zombie of one of the guards, and having it attack the rest. (This was after claiming to "visit" one of the prisoners- who were both CN, BTW, and divesting himself of all weapons as requested...) Naturally, one does not simply stroll into a prison and break others out without consequences. He ended up having to fight the entire garrison, and all three were quickly chased out of town, and had bounties put on their heads. Then he wondered why I later banned the book.... Too easy to break, and his character idea was simply too far askew of the campaign. And all this happened as 2nd lvl PC's, and it was already derailing the game....

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Abenabin Gimblescrew
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  21:37:02  Show Profile Send Abenabin Gimblescrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I stand corrected then on that basis, but I think my opinion holds some merit still. I do agree the DM should have been up front if he rolled in that character first about them all being evil. I just assumed any DM would have made that apparent at the start of him entering or in the case of being the first to roll in his character then the others showing up after should have given him a heads up if he truly wanted to still play that same character with this group.

Alystra, we are both in agreement that I have had to ban quite a few books in the past due to PCs overzealous nature to power monger their way to dominance or wreck a campaign. Of course I've also had experiences where DMs force PCs to power monger into defeating their Npcs, which always seem to be all knowing all powerful big bad buys that you couldn't out wit or out gun. That's why I favor just using core rules over adding in supplements into my campaigns. I know they are balanced and I know what they are capable of if they do attempt something outlandish as you just described. Not saying I don't think they could bust someone out of prison at 2nd level, but it wouldn't have been a walk in the park to accomplish.

I've made quite a few PCs angry due to my restrictions, but I just point out if they want to use it then they should DM or find a DM that will allow it. Usually they are disappointed at first, but the name of the game is for everyone to have fun and enjoy it. It isn't a game where you are the only All-star hero taking on the bad guys. ;) Plenty of video games accomplish that goal - I think. People just get excited from time to time on making this particular type of character and they sometimes forget it might not be something a particular DM wants or group of PCs. I think, however; people should be mature enough to bring that up out-of-game and not take it out on them vindictively just because they don't want it.

Though as I always say, and most people agree, you can't argue with the DM about what he/she is running. It is their campaign, you can respectively bring up critiques, but you should never dictate to them how a campaign should go or play. But the DM should always be clear on what he intends to run and what it will be like so the PCs walk in with both eyes open knowing what they will be getting into. In short people should always be communicating so misunderstandings are few and far between. :P

Invention is the key to staying ahead of the competition.

Edited by - Abenabin Gimblescrew on 20 Aug 2010 21:44:44
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  22:16:41  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amen, brother! You're preachin' to the choir, good sir! LOL! As a DM, I TRY to allow poeple to play what they want, as long as it fit the setting and is not too overpowered. For one, I never allow anything higher than a +2 LA character. I did once, (chain-devil with a buy-off- long story...) and it just did not work for the game. From a DM and player perspective, I enjoy diversity and creativity. Sadly, too many players get stuck in the power-game mindset. (I blame the video games, Abe!) Then they try to out-do everyone else at the table, at the expense of wrecking campaigns or just annoying the heck out of the other players because no one gets to do anything after mister blast-em-all gets done. I try to avoid such players in my games, but they always pop up in every group.... *shrugs*

My advice to you, Salius, aside from the above, is once you talk it over with your DM, get together with the other players before the session, and ask if they have a problem with your PC being good. Chances are, as long as it's kept in-game, any conflicts that come up will just add to the fun once they realize that you're actually against them. Get creative with your opposition to their actions, and you'll be amazed at what they will let you get away with!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  23:20:37  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I knew I was going in to an evil group. It's mostly my fault for making him good, I just really like him and didn't want to have to change. I'm also very thrilled with both the game and the players (all long time buddies of mine) so just flat out leaving isn't really an option for me.

The evil group pretty much ARE the authorities of the area, so turning them in will have little effect ^_^

I think my DM an I have come up with a solution, though. I'm more than likely going to be sent there by another order to "keep track" of them and their actions.

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  03:50:36  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salius Kai

Yeah, I knew I was going in to an evil group. It's mostly my fault for making him good, I just really like him and didn't want to have to change. I'm also very thrilled with both the game and the players (all long time buddies of mine) so just flat out leaving isn't really an option for me.

The evil group pretty much ARE the authorities of the area, so turning them in will have little effect ^_^

I think my DM an I have come up with a solution, though. I'm more than likely going to be sent there by another order to "keep track" of them and their actions.

Self inflicted wound by choosing to play Good in an Evil game. Thus it really comes down to using magic to change alignment of other PCs or by actions or non action your PC will become Evil.
Infiltration and all those other things that justify doing Evil, makes the character Evil. The means does not justify the end, even healing an Evil character furthers Evil by not letting then die or heal without magic.

DM perhaps making your PC spy might work, however there still is hazard of alignment change.

Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  05:35:26  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I would recommend *against* forcing the party to do it your way, because (if the paladin teaches us nothing) that's not the way to win friends and influence people. Sure, you'll get away with that at first, but eventually they WILL get even, and you'll be rolling up a new character. Or, if your fellow players hold grudges, finding a new gaming group.

And that's not so unreasonable, either--they wanted to play evil characters, and that's what they're doing. Ask yourself, how would you like it if someone came into your game and dictated how you were supposed to play?

What you'd be better off doing is biding your time and picking the opportune moment to cross them. Much like the evil seed in the good party would have done.

Cheers

I guess this is in reference to my 1st post in this thread, eh?
Well I totally hear you out! I didn't mean my suggestion to be the 1st and only way (Best way? Yes! 1st and only? No, but y'know...), but for to be a 'when all else fails' option, if Salius' PC feels that strongly against his party murdering the captains' crew, as per Salius' PC's good alignment. We're talking about his party *murdering* people! I think this situation trumps any notion of having a happy party and winning friends, Erik! Ha!

As for getting away w/it at first, and then being wary of retribution, yeah totally! That's why I made sure to show Salius the defensive spells I had in mind! And I also asked what level he was, for if he didn't have those spells I mentioned in his spellbook or similar ones, I wouldn't have advised such an aggressive tactic! I totally feel your 'picking the opportune moment' suggestion.

And Salius' can 'display' his capabilities to his party members, however he chooses, to show'em his worth to the party, and his wages compared w/that of other wizards on the market (if there is one, wherever they RP in their Realms), all in an effort to make'em be less inclined to murder.
----

Alystra, don't blame the video games (at least not the FR ones). Blame those who play the video games who have no sense of roleplay, or no sense of the commitment, drive, wit, and mind needed to accomplish 'leveling up' and things of that nature.

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 21 Aug 2010 05:38:28
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  17:15:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing I can possibly add to some of the great advice you received above is that you may be there to 'off-set' some of their evil acts. For instance, if they do that to the ship captain, your character should find a way to warn the crew not to be on the ship (or trick them into not being on it), or at least have some means ready to save most of them (like sending a message to the authorities, or have a lifeboat conveniently nearby when the ship sinks).

Or, if your party robs some poor farmer or merchant, then he should later find a pouch of gold that at least equals his losses.

This can easily be combined with some suggestions above, especially the Harper one. By sticking with a fairly inocuous 'evil' group, he can learn about other evil activities through their contacts, and off-set quite a bit all by himself, simply by passing the info on to the Harpers or other Authorities.

He can also steer the party into confrontation with other evil groups, like the Zhents or Red Wizards, simply by pointing out their caravans (which he may know about through his 'goodly' connections), or trying to get to whatever those groups may be after ahead of them (thus stopping them from getting their hands on whatever potent magic they were after). Using evil to fight evil is a tried-and-true Harper ploy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Aug 2010 17:16:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000