Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Relationship between Shar and Lolth?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  19:20:20  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:
If the French part bothers you that much then just don't read it.

Es gibt hier nur leider keine ignorieren Funktion damit Posts von Benutzern ausgeblendet werden, also muss ich es lesen wenn ich einen Thread lese ;)
Unfortunatly there is no ignore function here so I'll have to read it when I read a thread...

Actually this would be great, years and years of German in school and the teacher almost cried. Now I can practise and read about the Realms all at once. I wont try to answer you though, as you would roll around laughing hysterically.

Personally I see no problem with Balduran Lavidah or anyone else whose English is not good enough to be used without a translator of some sort.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  19:22:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

There is no real news in the sourcebooks about any sort of relation between Lolth and Shar. There was some sort of short-lived cult devoted to both goddesses, not supported by either though.

Drow may be inclined to follow a goddess of darkness or use the Shadow Weave (who actually dissappeared with 4E along with the other Weave). Neither means that Lolth or Shar deal with one another, or, in the latter case, the drow with Shar. After all, especially recently, Shar has been portrayed as a deity of loss and nihilism, something that does not go along well with a long lived, power-hungry race.

I would only say that the Drow would be a perfect fit with the "loss" aspect...as well as Shar being the Goddess of the Underdark.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  20:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

There is no real news in the sourcebooks about any sort of relation between Lolth and Shar. There was some sort of short-lived cult devoted to both goddesses, not supported by either though.

Drow may be inclined to follow a goddess of darkness or use the Shadow Weave (who actually dissappeared with 4E along with the other Weave). Neither means that Lolth or Shar deal with one another, or, in the latter case, the drow with Shar. After all, especially recently, Shar has been portrayed as a deity of loss and nihilism, something that does not go along well with a long lived, power-hungry race.

I would only say that the Drow would be a perfect fit with the "loss" aspect...as well as Shar being the Goddess of the Underdark.

What "loss" aspect? They "lost" a tiny bit 13k years ago, they don't fret about it these days.

BTW, if people look for that cult, don't look much farther than Demihuman Deities, Lolth's entry.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  20:48:06  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah! I knew I'd seen it somewhere before! And exactly what did they loose? They certainly don't seem to think they lost anything. Except maybe for the ones who were/are still good. They might feel some loss, but I don't think they would ever follow Shar.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  21:49:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What "loss" aspect? They "lost" a tiny bit 13k years ago, they don't fret about it these days.

BTW, if people look for that cult, don't look much farther than Demihuman Deities, Lolth's entry.

The Lady of Loss...Shar, uses Loss for many things: vengeance for losing a place within city rankings for a house, losing to a competitor in academy or training, losing in battle against a neighboring underdark city, etc. and etc.

Shar, after subsuming Ibrandul, is also the Goddess of the Underdark. She could exert that claim to lay her claim upon all things relating to the Underdark. Drow might turn to her for survival, finding treasure, etc...

I wasn't thinking of the Descent...to me, that is something that benefited the Drow.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  00:39:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think "Ibrandul" is a better deity for the drow than Shar. I don't see that her loss aspect would appeal to the drow, but a god of where they live could have some small appeal. Not a lot, but some -- particularly to those who have issues with Lolth, like males or commoners.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  01:35:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think "Ibrandul" is a better deity for the drow than Shar. I don't see that her loss aspect would appeal to the drow, but a god of where they live could have some small appeal. Not a lot, but some -- particularly to those who have issues with Lolth, like males or commoners.

Indeed. And in the post reaffirmation of Lolth, it seems even more unlikely that a deity like Shar would enjoy much purchase among the general drow community. Even if Shar wished it, I doubt she'd find it all that easy to nurture. Not that you wouldn't find small pockets of secretive Shar worship here and there throughout the Underdark, and away from the worshippers of the core drow gods.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Aug 2010 01:36:07
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  09:43:56  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Indeed. And in the post reaffirmation of Lolth, it seems even more unlikely that a deity like Shar would enjoy much purchase among the general drow community. Even if Shar wished it, I doubt she'd find it all that easy to nurture. Not that you wouldn't find small pockets of secretive Shar worship here and there throughout the Underdark, and away from the worshippers of the core drow gods.

Yeah, like the Sisters of the Shadow Weave, based in Ched Nasad.
BTW Zanan, can you remind us the name of this cult?

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  22:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Drow in the Realms have embraced offshoots of the major faiths, usually following a charismatic mortal leader who claims to be something more. The only such cult known to be still active, albeit in a debased form, is the She-Spider Cult, a Thayan-based sect that tried to link worship of Shar with devotion to Lolth. Opposed in the end by both goddesses, the Cult enjoyed initial success as a secret society operating slaving and drugrunning operations in Mulhorand, Unther, and southern Thay. They eventually degenerated into a criminal gang without divine support. The Cult still stages fake rituals to thrill worshipers and to slay foes under the guise of sacrifices.

(Demihuman Deities, Lolth, Affiliated Orders)

Ibrandul would be a fine choice indeed, but he was essentially wiped off the FR deity-scape with the Time of Troubles and the further it went on, the more nihilist Shar became. Hence my No-no above.

If it was me, I'd rather link drow with some devil or demon lord worship, such as Dispater, Glasya, Belial, Malcanthet, Shaktari, or (and especially) Rhyxali (i.e. Grazz't's sister)

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 18 Aug 2010 22:35:05
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  08:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rhyxali or Grazz't would be nice indeed. Or Wendonai

Go to Top of Page

Arianthus Deszault
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  22:38:00  Show Profile  Visit Arianthus Deszault's Homepage Send Arianthus Deszault a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thank you for all of the responses!

Some members of my group are very research-intensive, so I like to keep things somewhat in line with canon. Else I would just go wildly out of my way to use an appropriate deity.

I like the idea of using Ibrandul. I will go the route of "Shar has an aspect of herself that imitates Ibrandul. Drow that worship Ibrandul don't realize this and are empowering Shar even more."

Thank you again!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  17:20:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ibrandul would be a fine choice indeed, but he was essentially wiped off the FR deity-scape with the Time of Troubles and the further it went on, the more nihilist Shar became. Hence my No-no above.
Ahhhhh.... but wasn't it Shar who killed him? And then assumed his portfolio and followers?

So Shar could, conceivably, be working through her newly-acquired Ibrandul aspect with Lolth and the drow (although I think Lolth would know who she was really dealing with, which could be interesting if she could hide her knowledge from Shar/Ibrandul somehow).
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I think its better that someone post that way than not being able to post at all because of language ability. The translation tool might not be perfect, but its better than nothing. If the French part bothers you that much then just don't read it.

Agreed; this is a forum for ALL Realms fans, and everyone should have an equal opportunity to participate.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Aug 2010 17:28:39
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  17:33:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

*Jaw drops* Oh, you naughty boys! Spying on goddesses... Shameful. I take it you've watched Eilistraee and Sharess having a bonfire dance, too, eh? ;)

Guilty as charged... except that Sune was there too...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  17:42:12  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back on topic... these are some fascinating ideas... in my Realms, Ibrandul and other lesser deities "absorbed" by Shar regain their independent existence as a result of the collapse of the Shadow Weave in the failed attempt on Mystra's life... they weren't dead, but the Shadow Weave was binding them to Shar's will. At least, that's how I'm spinning it. More gods = better.

(Oh, and Leira wasn't slain by Mask... it's not unheard of for lovers to fake the death of one or both to be together...)

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  20:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Ahhhhh.... but wasn't it Shar who killed him? And then assumed his portfolio and followers?

So Shar could, conceivably, be working through her newly-acquired Ibrandul aspect with Lolth and the drow (although I think Lolth would know who she was really dealing with, which could be interesting if she could hide her knowledge from Shar/Ibrandul somehow).

Almost. Demihuman Deities actually says that Lolth took over the drow and half-drow followers of Ibrandul, while Shar actually revealed herself to those she took over from the non-drow. It's all out there.

BTW, Ibrandul is one of these deities where you shake your head and wonder why exactly they fell victim to the chopping axe, while there are so many dolts still out there. Same goes, BTW, for Leira.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 22 Aug 2010 20:15:40
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  00:29:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so it wasn't exactly the way I remembered it, but we do now have a precedent of Shar and Lolth working to achieve the same goals (although not necessarily together).

If Lolth can work with such dullards as Malar and Gruumsh, I can't see why she wouldn't work with Shar, except, perhaps, because Shar may be considered the only power she could possibly feel threatened by.

Shar, on the other hand, will work with anyone who will further her goals - she has in the past.

As for getting rid of useful gods, while at the same time adding yet another serpent god (Zehir) into an already muddled mix... who knows. The motives of (gaming) deities are beyond the ken of mortal men.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  09:54:18  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still doubt that there are many gods who work along with Mrs. Nihilist, as she is portrayed in 4e.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  17:33:05  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as pointed out earlier, the gods themselves don't have to, if their followers are. I see no reason why the two groups can't (either knowingly or un) work together for some purpose that benefits both.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Balduran Lavidah
Seeker

France
83 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  17:48:57  Show Profile  Visit Balduran Lavidah's Homepage Send Balduran Lavidah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Après une petite recherche poussée, Shar n'est pas une déesse maléfique en elle même. Elle représente la nuit, les ténèbres, les secrets. C'est la déesse protectrice des créatures de l'ombre. En opposition à Lloth, elle est ni cruelle ni destructrice. Mais reste sournoise.

On peut donc s'allier plus facilement à Shar que Lloth. Donc, honnêtement, je verrai assez mal voir les deux déesses travaillée pour une même cause.

After a little research thrust , Shar is not a goddess evil in itself . It is the night , darkness , the secrets . It is the patron goddess of the creatures of darkness. In opposition to Lolth , it is neither cruel nor destructive . But still sneaky.

It can therefore more easily Shar ally that Lolth . So , honestly, I see quite unpopular with the two goddesses worked for the same cause .

"Le savoir s'apprend. La curiosité forme le savoir."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000