Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven Court Drow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  16:48:47  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a lore conundrum....if when the High Magi who created the mythal over the Elven Court at the end of the Weeping War excluded all but elves from entering the city....how is it that drow then managed to occupy it later before and during the Crusade????? It was a high magic mythal and should have been well beyond the drow at that time to crack....I'm confused....any ideas anyone?????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  16:56:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drow are elves.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  17:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. Drow are elves. Just the racial term for their subspecies.

Like Sun Elves. Wood Elves. Wild Elves. Drow is just elven for Dark Brother or something...

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  17:42:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

Drow is just elven for Dark Brother or something...

Heh, wrong setting. Though I have always liked how Feist did his dark elves. I recall, the first time I read it, being blown away by the moredhel Morandis and his Return to Elvandar.

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  18:07:58  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh duh. It's shorthand for Dhaeraow, meaning traitor...

I did like Feist. Loved the Tsurani of using their sheer numbers to willingly die to make a ramp of bodies to go over castle walls for their other soldiers. Shocked the heroes too.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  18:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What setting are you two talking about? And is it gaming or fiction? I'm always looking for new stuff to read...

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  18:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Riftwar. It's a book series by Raymond E. Feist. There was a video game on it called Return To Krondor.

Pretty decent books. Very high fantasy. VERY high fantasy. With different planes even, with people coming in it to take over another world.

Love their magic system. Two types of magic. Low Magic which is in the main world, and the world of the Tsurani has High Magic of UBER POWER!!!

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  18:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Start with Magician Apptrence, then Magician: Master. Both the first in the series.

The dragon Knight. A real Dragon Knight. Man the elves were SCARED of him, even though he was thought to be human.

So much awesomeness.

The first few books are in comic form much like the Drittz books.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
735 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  18:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoondatha,

You shock me! Raymond E. Feist, ever heard of him?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
735 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  18:46:36  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh duh. It's shorthand for Dhaeraow, meaning traitor...
I've never thought of it like that. Thanks dracons!

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  20:18:53  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard of the Riftwar books, but never read them, or anything else by Feist. I think I'm going to have to rectify that. Thanks for the details.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  20:31:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Embarrassingly, I haven't read him either; magic of that caliber usually doesn't interest me. I'll have to check them out.

I should probably hang my head in shame, being the avid reader I am, but I have never touched a Pratchett novel either.

And of all the creatures to point out, why Drow? There are tons of monsters in those ruins that really shouldn't be there.

Then again, the Mythal was 'twisted' - gotta love how one, simple word allows you to break all the rules.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  03:56:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing I was mentioning about Feist's dark elves... When we first experience his worlds, there are mainly two types of elves discussed: elves and moredhel. The latter are also known as the Brotherhood of the Dark Path, or sometimes just Dark Brothers. The main physical difference between the two is that elves tend to have lighter hair, and moredhel tend to have darker hair. And physically, that's about it. There is something of an aura about both races, though -- an elf and a moredhel will know on sight that the other one is the other type.

The cultural differences between the two stretch back thousands of years. Both were enslaved by these godlike beings, the Valheru. When the Valheru disappeared, the elves were the ones who said "Cool, they're gone, let's go do our own thing." The moredhel decided to try to claim the power once held by their masters, and were kinda warped by this.

But as we later find out, a moredhel can throw off the lure of the Dark Path and Return to Elvandar, the elven homeland. The Spellweavers enact a brief ritual, and then the former moredhel is now an elf. He's physically the same, but he no longer has that moredhel aura.

There's a lot more to it, but that's a brief rundown. I always thought that was more interesting than the Krynnish dark elves (outcast regular elves) or the drow of most D&D worlds.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Jul 2010 03:57:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  04:12:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There's a lot more to it, but that's a brief rundown. I always thought that was more interesting than the Krynnish dark elves (outcast regular elves) or the drow of most D&D worlds.
It's not as simple as just being branded an "outcast." There's a long and drawn out process involved when an Krynnish elf is declared a "dark elf" -- that impacts upon not only the elf in question, but the community he/she came from as well. The 3e DL rule-books offered some rather in-depth treatment of this aspect, actually.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  06:52:24  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you missed the point.......Drow were excluded too.......so how could they later occupy the city...?????? touche.....

I mean the Elven Court Mythal.......

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/

Edited by - Snowblood on 12 Jul 2010 09:24:37
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  08:48:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AS I SAID, the Mythal was twisted - else how do you think Demons and Devils (playing nicely together LOL) got in?

In fact, if you read Elminster in Myth Drannor, you will witness the raising of the Mythal, and see some of that 'ugliness' that managed to creep-in right at the beginning. Each person involved in it's raising (and there were more humans then El) contributed a part of themselves, including some of his/her prejudices, which was why the Mythal was flawed and behaved erratically, even before the demonic presence twisted it. Those were the cracks that later enemies used to break it down.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  18:03:05  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Start with Magician Apptrence, then Magician: Master. Both the first in the series.

The dragon Knight. A real Dragon Knight. Man the elves were SCARED of him, even though he was thought to be human.

So much awesomeness.

The copy that I borrowed from my local library 15 years ago was just Magician, before it was split into two novels.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  00:57:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

So much awesomeness.

The copy that I borrowed from my local library 15 years ago was just Magician, before it was split into two novels.

The hard cover was Magician. It was split for the paperbacks. I first read the books around 1988, and I found Magician: Master long before I found Magician: Apprentice! Later they went back and did the Author's Preferred Edition of the hardcover, and still later did the same for the paperbacks.

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  03:48:06  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sigh....I just love it when a scroll meanders off track & doesn't address the core discussion.....sigh......

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  03:58:04  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
“removing all taints of the drow and other fell creatures from the site,..the High Mages immediately (within the same tenday) began to weave a mythal about Elven Court... 13 High Mages that gave their lives for this new elven capital... a brand-new mythal of extraordinary strength and power, its boundaries set as a pyramid defining the city site and reflecting and enhancing the star- and moonlight... While Elven Court would not be anathema to non-elves, it was not to be a place for them to live or leave their influences”

FOD pp 36.....this is the mythal that I am talking about.........

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  04:35:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, didn't realize you meant the Elven Court - I never understood the redundancy of the two cities. Then again, I never understood the redundancy of having two Elves - one is one too many in my book.

The Elven Court was also an Arcane Mythal, like that in Myth Drannor? That might explain it - the Arcane magic version wasn't as good as the original, Elven High-Magic version.

And please don't ask me to explain the difference, because I never understood that either - Elves confuse the crap out me. Probably why Cormanthyr is still the only FR source I've never read (only bits of it that I was directed to while debating certain lore points).

In 4e, it is probably better explained by saying High Magic taps into the Fey power source - at least now we have a difference I can grasp.

Anyway, I'd say in reality it was because someone made a snafu, but in-game I would say they were wearing specially constructed Piwafwi (with shadow-magic?) that rendered them 'invisible' to the Mythal.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Jul 2010 08:43:19
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  08:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elven high magic is pretty easy to understand.

Arcane Magic: Levels 1-9.

Elven High Magic: Epic Spells.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  08:51:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In game mechanics, yes, but in-story, that doesn't really pan-out. 'High magic' was supposedly different - It had some sort of connection to the Eleven Gods (similar to how the magic of the Old Empires was, before it was retconed). It is a mixture of divine and arcane magic.

So yeah, the Epic Spell system works in-game, but then non-Elves cast exactly the same spells if they are high enough level, which completely negates the fact that it is Elven High magic. If everyone can do it, then what is the difference?

The problem comes from the fact that they can't let Players anywhere near 'real' Elven High Magic - making Mythals, changing the nature of a comet, cuasing tidal Waves, and, OH YEAH... Sundering the Planet.

PCs would have a field-day with those abilities.

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  10:39:35  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fall of Myth Drannor....shorthand....sorry....

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  11:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see that anywhere in that sourcebook on those pages.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  21:36:31  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's not as simple as just being branded an "outcast." There's a long and drawn out process involved when an Krynnish elf is declared a "dark elf" -- that impacts upon not only the elf in question, but the community he/she came from as well. The 3e DL rule-books offered some rather in-depth treatment of this aspect, actually.

Quite right. The DL sourcebook "The Sylven Veil" had a nice write-up about the ritual and its effects, as well. There was even a nice little background-type story of a pair of elves whose potential union went against traditions and thus they were forced to undergo the ritual test to determine whether they were "dark" elves. I liked the ritual so much I used parts of it for my homebrew world to explain the origin of my drow- no seperate race, these, but a bunch of elves who turned traitor and were "cursed" by a ritual using the power of the elven gods. It made for a very nice explanation of why they hate other elves so much. Being decended from the same families and race, they felt doubly enraged for being turned into something completely different. And some are still cursed if the crimes committed are bad enough, so there are some drow in my current campaign who remember what it was like to be a surface elf before their transformation. It makes for some great PC bg!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  02:10:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Quite right. The DL sourcebook "The Sylven Veil" had a nice write-up about the ritual and its effects, as well. There was even a nice little background-type story of a pair of elves whose potential union went against traditions and thus they were forced to undergo the ritual test to determine whether they were "dark" elves.
There's even been some further treatment of the ritual, through several short stories in the collected DL anthologies. Worthwhile reads, and plenty of interesting details.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  09:32:06  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FOD should read FoMD.....oops my bad...

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  13:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It be nice if we got a better idea where it is in there. Site us a big example or text from there, as what your stating is nowhere in American versions.

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  14:53:42  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
“removing all taints of the drow and other fell creatures from the site,..the High Mages immediately (within the same tenday) began to weave a mythal about Elven Court... 13 High Mages that gave their lives for this new elven capital... a brand-new mythal of extraordinary strength and power, its boundaries set as a pyramid defining the city site and reflecting and enhancing the star- and moonlight... While Elven Court would not be anathema to non-elves, it was not to be a place for them to live or leave their influences”

Fall of Myth Drannor taken from page 36.....this is the mythal that I am talking about......... taken from the PDF I downloaded for free from the WOTC site...

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  14:58:49  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Fall of Myth Drannor taken from page 36.....this is the mythal that I am talking about......... taken from the PDF I downloaded for free from the WOTC site...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000