Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven Court Drow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  17:31:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in agreement with capnvan on this, as it is the best explanation.

The 'Elven Court' has come both to mean a rather large area of the forest, and also is the name of the settlement within that part of the forest.

Or they could have just used a can of their bat-Mythal repellent fron their utility belts.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  03:30:52  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea that whilst they inhabited the out lying districts, the 'city center' was off limits......

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  17:10:47  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was mentioned in FoMD that the drow are expelled by the mythal. And I think it did not extend to the part of Cormanthyr then called Elven Court (remember the book is for around 750 DR, not now).

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  21:15:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*** Rez Scroll ***

Elven Court: Does this place have a real name?

Seriously... thats like us naming a city 'human court' - makes little sense to me. Its also in common - at the very least it would have a name in Elven (like Eversidh, or some-such). Anyone know of another name for it?

This reminds me of 'Elevn Port' (which we now have a name for).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Feb 2013 21:23:03
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7975 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  21:34:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True names have magical power. Perhaps the name is sacred and secret, speaking it in the presence of N'Tel'Quessir (or any elves "tainted" by outsiders) might be forbidden.

Elves might call it Elven Court in front of others as thinly-disguised arrogance, a subtle way to insult all the non-elven courts. It would be like a human constantly reminding a halfling that Cormyr's royals and nobility and War Wizards are humans.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  00:17:15  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would guess it has an elven name, that we don't know yet and that humans have come to just call it Elven Court.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  02:49:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

*** Rez Scroll ***

Elven Court: Does this place have a real name?

Seriously... thats like us naming a city 'human court' - makes little sense to me. Its also in common - at the very least it would have a name in Elven (like Eversidh, or some-such). Anyone know of another name for it?

This reminds me of 'Elevn Port' (which we now have a name for).

From Cormanthyr:-
quote:
This place, established in Corellon's name as a place of decision and judgment, became Elven Court.
Sounds definitive to me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Feb 2013 02:50:01
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  16:45:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could show you a history book that has information on 'the Clovis People'... but I'm pretty sure they never called themselves that.

And there are literally hundreds of other RW examples. What people call something today (and an FR sourcebook can be considered in in-game history book) may not be what it was called by the people who built it. The Citadel of the Raven is an obvious example of this.

A very good large-scale example of this we can see in Dwarves Deep - the Dwarves have their own names for most of the geography of Faerūn.

This should fall into the same category as the Elven Port, which Erik Boyd provided a name for (and re-discovered) recently. The Elven Port was never really "Elven Port" - thats just what folks called it.

Since the map I am currently working on is so far removed from canon its barely even FR anymore, I am not sure why this even mattered to me. I could just call it whatever I want. I wonder if its possible to be a 'Canon Addict'. As much as I keep trying to divorce myself from it, I keep finding myself drifting back.

And you know what they say... junkies always find each other...

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Feb 2013 16:47:07
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  16:51:34  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine the name would be ____ tel'quess - the blank being whatever the elvish word for court is. "Court of the People" or "Elven Court" are common translations of the simple, straightforward name the place was given long ago. Perhaps it was not meant as a place name and simply as a descriptor, but it stuck and there it is 6000 years later.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  17:16:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I imagine the name would be ____ tel'quess - the blank being whatever the elvish word for court is. "Court of the People" or "Elven Court" are common translations of the simple, straightforward name the place was given long ago. Perhaps it was not meant as a place name and simply as a descriptor, but it stuck and there it is 6000 years later.

In other words, it's The People's Court! (Dada dum!)

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  17:32:26  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, one minute to Wapner. I had you in there! You were in there! The defendant, the plaintiff, you had it all. They are in there making legal history. *Legal history!*
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  17:55:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I decided to go with Eversidh (Ever meaning something akin to "Elves only" and 'Sidh' being an old Gaelic word for 'Faerie court').

Anyhow, now I decided that the Mayor (High Elder) of Eversidh is named Waapnir, and he has a 'special' bailiff (court herald) that likes to say "Time for Wapner" (He's also known to indiscriminately blurt out other odd things, like "Very sparkly", "I'm a good coach-driver", and "I'm not wearing my Small clothes".)

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Feb 2013 17:57:06
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  18:23:21  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta watch Wapner, yeah... Gotta watch Wapner.... LOL!!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  01:30:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I could show you a history book that has information on 'the Clovis People'... but I'm pretty sure they never called themselves that.
Well, yeah.

My point, though, was simply to indicate that it was pretty definitive that "Elven Court" was probably the only name for the location that's been incorporated into the Realmslore. Whether there was actually a proper elven name for the location [however likely], it doesn't appear to have made it into the setting lore.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  01:36:19  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cormanthyr book simply referred to it as Elven Court. That's good enough for me.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  09:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think 'Elven Court' is a translation of the Elven term, just as Elven surnames like Moonflower, Moonblade etc. are assumed to be translations into Common.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2395 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  20:34:17  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

“removing all taints of the drow and other fell creatures from the site,..
See Cormanthyr. This means "taint" back from the Dark Court Slaughter when drow came and go, but just to make a point left some souvenirs behind. Little things like the curse which made all water brought within Darkwoods turn dark-purple and poisonous (for non-drow elves only) or a gate randomly summoning spiders. The drow already were competitive by this time, so there probably was a lot of wildly varying and inventively annoying stuff like this scattered all over the place. Either way Cormanthans just gave up and left Darkwoods alone, only patrolling the borders to keep monsters away, until The Third Court Crusade you quoted.
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Elves might call it Elven Court in front of others as thinly-disguised arrogance, a subtle way to insult all the non-elven courts. It would be like a human constantly reminding a halfling that Cormyr's royals and nobility and War Wizards are humans.

Ever paid attention to the elven nomenclature for things? They are completely self-sufficient in this regard and routinely use it to puff up even without any external witnesses...
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I imagine the name would be ____ tel'quess - the blank being whatever the elvish word for court is.
...just like, as Markustay mentioned on the previous page, it's Elven High Magic, "Arselu'Tel'Quess".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000