Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Phil Athans leaving WotC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  14:40:15  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://fantasyhandbook.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/end-of-part-two/

http://paulskemp.com/blog/phil-athans-leaving-wotc/

Just found this courtesy of Paul S Kemp on facebook....sigh!!!

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  15:00:29  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Much like his blog entry, I find I no longer have the energy to get mad at this anymore. I wish him the best of luck in all his future endeavors!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  15:29:11  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad news indeed. Best of luck to him.
Go to Top of Page

Ruul
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  15:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Ruul's Homepage Send Ruul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sucks! I was looking forward to a Watercourse Sequel where we learn that Ivar is actually a Gond avatar.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  15:56:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So when a company says "Your position has been eliminated", does that mean everyone else has to pick-up the slack, or they simply don't plan on anyone doing what he was doing?

I have no personal feelings either way with this one, but it sucks when anyone loses their job. I wish him all the best.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Jun 2010 22:50:16
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  16:35:18  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel similar like Ashe...

There have been important layoffs before and I am sure more "famous" ones are to come. As there are probably no positive surprises to expect in the future, why bother any longer? I just hope this does not affect Paul Kemp's new trilogy.
All the best to Phil in any case!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  17:00:18  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome
As there are probably no positive surprises to expect in the future, why bother any longer?

There have been good surprises lately, about as much as bad ones. I thinking about Paul's Godborn and Elaine's new novel for example. I don't want to defend WoTC on Phil's layoff, but we should not act like they can't make some good decisions from time to time.

I hope, and I expect, Mr Athans to find something better soon.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  17:23:08  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

quote:
Originally posted by skychrome
As there are probably no positive surprises to expect in the future, why bother any longer?

There have been good surprises lately, about as much as bad ones. I thinking about Paul's Godborn and Elaine's new novel for example. I don't want to defend WoTC on Phil's layoff, but we should not act like they can't make some good decisions from time to time.

...which I did not count as future surprises as that has already been anounced, but nevertheless agree with you there and reformulate: as I personally do expect few new positive surprises in the future, I do not bother much anymore. The more I get proven wrong, the better!

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  17:44:33  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope he finds a job that he's good at.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  17:48:07  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. I'm actually surprised by this. It's a shame but I am sure someone with his talents will manage outside of Wizards.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  18:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are the Wizards having a policy of firing everyone?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  19:30:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Are the Wizards having a policy of firing everyone?

I dont think so, but it seems the further your ties goes back towards "the old days", the higher the probability your on the way out.

And most importantly...all the best to Phil. Im sure he will land on his feet. I enjoyed most of his books and really likes a couple, but seems like a high percentage of work he edited was top notch. Writers deserve much credit, but you have to have a good editor to have a great novel!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 23 Jun 2010 19:33:41
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  20:17:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck Phil.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  22:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That really sucks. :(

Best of luck to Phil, especially in this current climate. I really enjoyed a number of your books, and got to benefit from others books I enjoyed which you were the editor for.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  23:50:26  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish him a bright future, wherever that may be.

So no replacement?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  00:22:09  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I wish him a bright future, wherever that may be.

So no replacement?

I guess they no longer need a Senior Manager Editor.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  00:47:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sad news indeed. I am not a fan of the books he wrote (save Annihilation), but most of the books he edited are my favorites, like Paul's and Richard's. As my friend/editor once told me, "Behind the success and brilliance of a book is a great editor."

Best of luck to Phil.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  02:17:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Sad news indeed. I am not a fan of the books he wrote (save Annihilation), but most of the books he edited are my favorites, like Paul's and Richard's. As my friend/editor once told me, "Behind the success and brilliance of a book is a great editor."

Best of luck to Phil.

Earlier I said a good editor, but great editor is far more accurate.

And not to be picky, but the scroll title makes it sounds like he is leaving, which is not fair to Phil as he did not choose to leave, his position was eliminated.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  02:55:31  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel he has the right attitude about it. The positive experiences he had at TSR and WotC far outweigh the negatives, even though he's been through some of the more precarious moments of RPG history such as the collapse of TSR.

I never liked his Realms novels. I dislike the part he probably played in the string of RSE's during the 3e era. As a part of the design team that really shook up the Realms for 4E, I really dislike his choices. However, he also presided over perhaps the strongest period for Realms novels. Many new writers entered the Realms during his editorship, writers who seem to really understand the setting and really put effort and thought into their characters and stories. No doubt his editing helped polish those stories to their high caliber. Along with the big events, there were also smaller stories in stand alone series like Wizards, Fighters, Citadels, Dungeons, etc. Those are some of my favorite FR novels. I'll take the stories I liked with the stories I didn't rather than to get only bland reading throughout.

With his credentials I'm sure Mr Athans will soon find those "bigger but not necessarily better" opportunities. The thing that has me worried is the loss of his seemingly vital position. The fiction department is often assumed to be the most profitable. It is the last department I would expect a position to be cut entirely.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  05:50:46  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hasbro is the AC.....sucks when anyone gets fired....
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  06:04:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

Hasbro is the AC.....

Okay, now, is this really necessary? Unless you can offer proof positive that this was a personal attack against Phil, and not simply a painful economic necessity, then we need to avoid comments like that. We are not privy to the reasons behind the business decisions made by WotC; all we see is the end result. We need to stop lashing out when we don't have all the information.

I don't like most of what WotC has done, either, but I refuse to assign blame unless I know it's assigned fairly. In this case, we do not know that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  06:50:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Blink* Perhaps I am out of the loop, not sure what AC means.

As to reducing Editors required, that appears to be dire for future products. As it stood Editors missed a few things, having fewer editors (with position removed) the odds are on the there will be more Edit errors.

As to Phil Athans, I wish him well in whatever future endeavors he undertakes.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  07:52:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Best of luck to Phil.

Earlier I said a good editor, but great editor is far more accurate.

And not to be picky, but the scroll title makes it sounds like he is leaving, which is not fair to Phil as he did not choose to leave, his position was eliminated.

"Leave" can be a euphemism for "get fired," but misleading at times...

Anyway, who's editing Paul's new trilogy? Well, might as well ask him instead.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 24 Jun 2010 07:57:48
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  09:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

Hasbro is the AC.....

Okay, now, is this really necessary? Unless you can offer proof positive that this was a personal attack against Phil, and not simply a painful economic necessity, then we need to avoid comments like that. We are not privy to the reasons behind the business decisions made by WotC; all we see is the end result. We need to stop lashing out when we don't have all the information.

I don't like most of what WotC has done, either, but I refuse to assign blame unless I know it's assigned fairly. In this case, we do not know that.

I apologize.....was merely being sarcastic....of course I know sometimes its just buisnesss....but my personal feelings is that when you make cutbacks you don't go after the long term employees.... that's my opinion. However your point is made Mr Rupert and I shall refrain from such attacks(or comparisons) in the future......again my apologies to the offended

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  13:45:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

*Blink* Perhaps I am out of the loop, not sure what AC means.

As to reducing Editors required, that appears to be dire for future products. As it stood Editors missed a few things, having fewer editors (with position removed) the odds are on the there will be more Edit errors.

As to Phil Athans, I wish him well in whatever future endeavors he undertakes.

Anti Christ

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  15:20:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And you call yourselves D&D players [disgusted face]

It means Armour Class.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  15:34:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

And you call yourselves D&D players [disgusted face]

It means Armour Class.

Silly European... it's spelled Armor.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  16:36:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could be worse. We could be talking about the colours of armour in D&D.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  17:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And here I thought Australia harboured the Queen's version of English.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  17:41:29  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And here I thought Australia harboured the Queen's version of English.

God(s) save the Armour Class!

Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  18:14:29  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly...

I'm sad he lost his job. I can't say I'm surprised WotC chose him.
He's old guard, and one of the last of them as well.

It doesn't make me happy, and I wish him the best in the future as well as quick, gainful employment (even self-employment).

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000