Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Phil Athans leaving WotC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  19:52:13  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, sucks to see him go. But with the work he's done my advice would be to phone up paizo and see if that leads anywhere.

They seem to have much more respectable business practices, though they are a smaller company.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  23:38:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

Well, sucks to see him go. But with the work he's done my advice would be to phone up paizo and see if that leads anywhere.

They seem to have much more respectable business practices, though they are a smaller company.

Without naming other names here, in my experiences, "more respectable business practices" and "smaller companies" tend to go hand-in-hand. This is part of why I'm a Paizo customer now, but the biggest reason is that Paizo is producing gaming materials that I want to buy, and Wizbro isn't. Plain and simple.

I'm also sorry to hear about Phil leaving. It doesn't fill me with confidence in the future of Wizbro, but neither did the departure of the others who have left in recent years.

Edit: Oh, and Sage: It could be worse than that. We could be talking about the colours and flavours of armour as significantly representative of the honour and valour of their wearers. Is the armour some sort of heraldry, or is it pseudomagical and some sort of full-body mood ring?

Silly Americans and their truncated spellings... although, I do agree with them with respect to words like "analyze" and "prioritize"... Z doesn't get nearly enough press in English... but for the love of all the gods, it's "zed", NOT "zee"!

Anyway, I'll stop there. Don't get me started on a silly topic, because I can and will take it to the furthest extremities of silliness.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 26 Jun 2010 23:46:32
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  00:35:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
Edit: Oh, and Sage: It could be worse than that. We could be talking about the colours and flavours of armour as significantly representative of the honour and valour of their wearers. Is the armour some sort of heraldry, or is it pseudomagical and some sort of full-body mood ring?

Silly Americans and their truncated spellings... although, I do agree with them with respect to words like "analyze" and "prioritize"... Z doesn't get nearly enough press in English... but for the love of all the gods, it's "zed", NOT "zee"!
Anyway, I'll stop there. Don't get me started on a silly topic, because I can and will take it to the furthest extremities of silliness.

As long as you all insist on drowning perfectly good fried potato sticks with perfectly good gravy......you say zed and we will stick with zee

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 27 Jun 2010 00:36:14
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  00:45:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No clue what a 'Zed' or a 'Zee' is, but French Fries (called 'Freedom Fries in France) are good anyway you can get them - loaded (chease, bacon, and sour cream), Gravy, or even Ranch Dressing (a bizarre little culinary treat that drifted over to the right coast from those barbarian Californians).

Guess it could be worse - I hear some heathens call them 'chips' (chips are CRISPY, silly!)

And we certainly do NOT 'smoke fags' - in our lingo that means you just committed a murder, AND a Hate Crime! We do not give folks a 'tinkle on the telly' (why do you pee on your television sets? ), and we do not listen to the 'wireless' (if it has NO wires, just how the hell does it work?)

And 'pissed' means angry - smashed means 'drunk'.

Language is evolutionary in nature, which means the 'latest version' is the correct one - get with the program.

Now for the positives - I really wish we had some of those uber-kewl police call boxes - I could go for some time travel.

All we ever get is some weirdo named Clark trying to disrobe in ours....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  01:57:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

No clue what a 'Zed' or a 'Zee' is,

It's the last letter of the alphabet.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  02:06:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
....ex.. why... zed?!

How peculiar...

'zed' is that old geezer from the Sword of Truth novels. I caught an episode of SciFy's version of those tales... big mistake... HUGE...

barely kept from clawing my eyes out...

The novels were good, if you can get past the fact that many of the plot devices are nearly identical to the ones in Wheel of Time (to the point where two nearly identical characters have the same damn name!)

Anyway... ummmm... Phil Athans... good luck....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  10:28:07  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Language is evolutionary in nature, which means the 'latest version' is the correct one - get with the program.

To be a bit nitpicky - British English has evolved faster than American (or Australian and Canadian) English. So language-wise it's not the Brits who need to get with the program back at you.

(And the same holds true for Swedish spoken in Sweden vs Swedish spoken in Finnish, anyone know about Spanish in Spain vs outside the Iberian peninsula?)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  19:24:19  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps WoTC are having a "spell Plague" and all off their hired hands "die". Maybe their not selling any 4ed products That would be such a shame.

No ofc its always bad to loose ones job, but hopefully they are seeing the wrongs of their evil ways, when they killed of Mystra!

Ill stop now!

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 27 Jun 2010 19:30:36
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  19:46:15  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

[quote]Originally posted by Markustay

...anyone know about Spanish in Spain vs outside the Iberian peninsula?)
Mexican Spanish is a whole lot different sounding (to my ears) than Spanish spoken by a native Spaniard.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  20:15:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Latin languages are very diverse and very regional, although I was surprised how easily some folks can understand each other.

Not Spanish-to-Spanish, but Spanish-to-Italian!

I used to work in NY city, on a big construction project, and the electricians were all Puerto Rican, and the painters were nearly all Sicilian (and if you called them Italian they got upset!). The painters were mostly recent arrivals, but the Puerto Ricans were all native NYers (but bi-lingual), and they would have conversations - both speaking their OWN LANGUAGE - and they would understand enough to be able to do so.

There were a couple of non-Sicilian Italians there as well, and they said their version of Italian was different from Sicilian (and gave me several examples).

I also used to work in a restaurant where nearly all the kitchen help were El Salvadorians, and I picked-up quite a lot from them. When I attempted to use some of my 'Spanish' with other nationalities, I found-out a lot of what I 'knew' was actually regional slang specific to El Salvador.

Still, they could all understand each other, just like English-speakers can all understand each other. Some accents are so heavy it does make it hard to follow though - I saw a show that took place in New Zealand and they had to use sub-titles, even though they were speaking English (or what passed for it there). I'm sure they feel the same way about us.

Anyway, lets try to keep the hate out of at least a few threads, eh Nicolai? Its never pleasant when anyone loses their job. Thanks.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jun 2010 20:18:33
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  00:35:42  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck Phil.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  02:10:30  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase
(And the same holds true for Swedish spoken in Sweden vs Swedish spoken in Finnish, anyone know about Spanish in Spain vs outside the Iberian peninsula?)

Hehe, trust me that here in Latin America almost everone laughs at spanish form Spain.
Even though accents here differ a lot from country to country, the Spanish accent is truly out of context.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  02:18:53  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going back to the fries thing, I also like them with tartar sauce.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
741 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  08:26:11  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Than off coarse thare's Sef Efricen English (I tried to do that one phonetically). We call fries, chips (like I think the Brits do) and even have a version called "slap chips" (not very crispy fried fries; "slap" being the Afrikaans–that has crept into colloquial English–word for "floppy"; goes great with fish or just salt and vinegar). I think what Markus called "chips" are actually "crisps" in the US, right?

Anyway, gimme my 'chips' with plain old tomato sauce, none of that ketchup, please!

Oh, and I'm sure Phil will land on his feet. He has edited some of the better recent Realms books and anthologies I have read.
Edit: Not to mention, thanks for Three-feet, Phil!

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 28 Jun 2010 18:37:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  00:47:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Than off coarse thare's Sef Efricen English (I tried to do that one phonetically). We call fries, chips (like I think the Brits do) and even have a version called "slap chips" (not very crispy fried fries; "slap" being the Afrikaans–that has crept into colloquial English–word for "floppy"; goes great with fish or just salt and vinegar). I think what Markus called "chips" are actually "crisps" in the US, right?

Anyway, gimme my 'chips' with plain old tomato sauce, none of that ketchup, please!

Oh, and I'm sure Phil will land on his feet. He has edited some of the better recent Realms books and anthologies I have read.
Edit: Not to mention, thanks for Three-feet, Phil!

In the US, little sticks of potato (or wedges, in some places) are called French fries, or just fries. Chips are those wafers of potato that are sliced very thin and lightly fried, such as Ruffles or Pringles (though the best potato chips are Baked Lays! ).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  10:56:52  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I remember, in england, they call 'fries' chips, and they call 'chips' crisps.
I prefer to say it the north american way, though I have to agree that it makes sense to call the crispy ones potato crisps, even though I don't do so.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  11:19:00  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I remember, in england, they call 'fries' chips, and they call 'chips' crisps.
I prefer to say it the north american way, though I have to agree that it makes sense to call the crispy ones potato crisps, even though I don't do so.

Go to Top of Page

Fordy
Acolyte

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  16:30:34  Show Profile  Visit Fordy's Homepage Send Fordy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears Erin Evans (who I beleive was in charge of the Eberron line) has also been given the boot. Wonder what this means for the future of WotC's novel lines.
Go to Top of Page

Larloch
Acolyte

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  18:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Larloch's Homepage Send Larloch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Latin languages are very diverse and very regional, although I was surprised how easily some folks can understand each other.

Not Spanish-to-Spanish, but Spanish-to-Italian!

I used to work in NY city, on a big construction project, and the electricians were all Puerto Rican, and the painters were nearly all Sicilian (and if you called them Italian they got upset!). The painters were mostly recent arrivals, but the Puerto Ricans were all native NYers (but bi-lingual), and they would have conversations - both speaking their OWN LANGUAGE - and they would understand enough to be able to do so.

There were a couple of non-Sicilian Italians there as well, and they said their version of Italian was different from Sicilian (and gave me several examples).

I also used to work in a restaurant where nearly all the kitchen help were El Salvadorians, and I picked-up quite a lot from them. When I attempted to use some of my 'Spanish' with other nationalities, I found-out a lot of what I 'knew' was actually regional slang specific to El Salvador.

Still, they could all understand each other, just like English-speakers can all understand each other. Some accents are so heavy it does make it hard to follow though - I saw a show that took place in New Zealand and they had to use sub-titles, even though they were speaking English (or what passed for it there). I'm sure they feel the same way about us.

Anyway, lets try to keep the hate out of at least a few threads, eh Nicolai? Its never pleasant when anyone loses their job. Thanks.

All the languages coming from the latin have some elements in common so is quite easy for a person from one of this countries to understand another languange with the same "base". Some are easy, italian-spanish, and other althought they have the same base are more difficult, like the romanian.

Of course there are diferents varieties. Within the Castilian, how is called the "spanish" language, there are many differents dialects. For example, in Spain, it's not the same way of pronnouncing and the way it is spoken the castilian in Andalusia that in Madrid. This, of course, without considering others languages that exist within Spain like catalan, vasque or galician apart from the castilian.

It's quite complex.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  18:44:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Language is cool; in the Cartographer's Guild there is a whole sub-forum about Conlangs - I never even knew such things existed before going there! The truly great fantasy world-builders build their own language, or languages, so that place-names will all have a certain similarity in each region.

One of the most helpful FR articles I ever read was Tom Costa's on Torillian languages. It formed the base form most of my cultural history and ancient human migrations.

quote:
Originally posted by Fordy

It appears Erin Evans (who I beleive was in charge of the Eberron line) has also been given the boot. Wonder what this means for the future of WotC's novel lines.
It mean they will hire kids right out of college for half the money, who will probably do as good a job as the previous guys.

Not a nice thought, but that's how these things work in corporations.

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jun 2010 18:50:07
Go to Top of Page

Fordy
Acolyte

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  18:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Fordy's Homepage Send Fordy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not in the know or anything, but I believe Erin was only very young anyway (early twenties). This doesn't really seem plausible.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
741 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  19:42:44  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of the most helpful FR articles I ever read was Tom Costa's on Torillian languages. It formed the base form most of my cultural history and ancient human migrations.

And you don't provide a link for the rest of us enquiring scribes? Tsk, tsk!

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  20:27:54  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Language is cool; in the Cartographer's Guild there is a whole sub-forum about Conlangs - I never even knew such things existed before going there! The truly great fantasy world-builders build their own language, or languages, so that place-names will all have a certain similarity in each region.

quote:

It mean they will hire kids right out of college for half the money, who will probably do as good a job as the previous guys.

You know, this definitely deserves to be in it's own thread, but your comment on regional languages on Fantasy maps dictating land names prompted me to comment on a thought that's been in my head. I watch a lot of geology shows on the History Channel (How the Earth Was Made) and it got me thinking about how most fantasy maps hardly ever take into account how geology will affect the climate and the culture of certain regions. Part of me wants to go over the Faerunian map to figure out what the climate would actually be like for certain regions and what atmospheric and oceanic patterns would develop. I'm curious how close it would be to established lore. Any ways, sorry to go off topic.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  21:00:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sad to hear, she is a nice person and I really enjoyed her work.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  21:01:52  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lolz. OK, Karnak.

WotC could choose to consolidate under their current/existing staff.

Or they could leave the positions open and unfilled.

That's also how these things work in corporations.

How long 'till evidence of a reorg comes up, I dunno.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  21:42:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
{sigh} You know, sometimes a spade isn't a spade. I was actually thinking about a friend of mine, who had worked for Hewlitt Packard for 30 years, and was replaced by 3 kids fresh out of college for the same salary they were paying him.

They even asked him to train his replacements before he left... corporations have NO feelings what-so-ever.

This has nothing to do with Hasbro, or WotC, or 4th edition, or the Realms, etc... it was just a comment about how these things work. I've seen it plenty of times. I guess when you get used to someone 'casting stones', you just automatically 'duck', eh?

quote:

I'm not in the know or anything, but I believe Erin was only very young anyway (early twenties). This doesn't really seem plausible.

My bad; then it is probably just a consolidation like Mr. Misc. pointed out. Either way, my point as that it probably has nothing to do with the state of D&D or anything else - just a normal, every day, business decision.

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

And you don't provide a link for the rest of us inquiring scribes? Tsk, tsk!
It was in Dragon Annual #4.

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jun 2010 21:09:02
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
741 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2010 :  08:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was in Dragon Annual #4.

Thanks!

Edited by - Kyrene on 30 Jun 2010 08:31:19
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2010 :  23:18:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never seen (let alone helped, for which the mods have my apologies) a thread stray so far OT before... at least on this site...

Anyway, I've said my piece on-topic (and otherwise) here, so in the interests of trying to get this scroll back on topic, I won't be posting to it again; if something here catches my interest, I'll PM the poster.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Fordy
Acolyte

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  11:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Fordy's Homepage Send Fordy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know whether this has been mentioned on the forum yet, but further to this, Susan Morris has now left WotC, meaning that the entire novel team has gone in a few short weeks. I know Wizards is prone to the odd radical shake up from time to time, but this seems a bit drastic to me.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  17:23:22  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mayhap there was a difference of opinion as to what should be printed? We can only guess....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000