Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shadow Caster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  18:16:03  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone had any experience with this class from Tome of Magic? And if yes, how was it? Weak, boring, broken????

Thx

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  23:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thematically interesting, as it expanded shadowy magic beyond just illusion magic. The class had a few perks that wizards or sorcerers didn't get (good Fort saves, d6 hit die, eventual ability to have spells counted as spell-like and later supernatural abilities) balanced by a rather restrictive "path" system for choosing spells, very limited castings/day and two primary casting attributes: Intelligence for spell access and Charisma for power/save DC's. I had a Noctumancer (an arcane/shadow theurge PrC) in one of my games with little issue.

I wouldn't replace the standard wizard or sorcerer with it, but it's a different enough to certainly be interesting. If you have a copy of the book, give it a look.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2011 :  01:28:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two separeate spellcasting requirements is an automatic fail in my book, espically for a class so dependant on their spells. I think over half of their spells require a Saving Throw, making the DC very very important. Helpful feats like Shadow Weave Magic do boost the class quite exceptionally though. Suffice to say that, as written, it's not all that good. If you can convince your DM to make the class based off of one or the other for spells (Int or Cha), it becomes much better.

Edited by - Diffan on 16 Nov 2011 01:30:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000