Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Phil Athans leaving WotC

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Snowblood Posted - 23 Jun 2010 : 14:40:15
http://fantasyhandbook.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/end-of-part-two/

http://paulskemp.com/blog/phil-athans-leaving-wotc/

Just found this courtesy of Paul S Kemp on facebook....sigh!!!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Icelander Posted - 15 Nov 2011 : 04:41:25
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

To me that would seem to suggest that people stay because they really love it, but I guess one could look at it a different way.

Myself, I've discussed positions there with at least one freelance designer weighing the loss in income vs. the chance to contribute to something so near and dear to his/her heart.

Cheers

I think that it is all but axiomatic that one writes and edits novels set in a shared RPG setting for love, not money. The RPG world pays very little compared to other fields.

Don't really see any way around it. Some people love their RPGs so much that they do lots of work for free. There are more people who want to work on the game or the game setting that they love, no matter the salary, than there are positions.
The Red Walker Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 17:24:17
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Wow.

No comment.

Okay... maybe just one... why do I find this so Ironic?

I wish him the best of luck, although I don't watch the show myself (then again, I might, if he were on it).

I wonder if they'll make him run the Watercourse.

That was actually 3 comments(two were questionish, but one was really just crafted to jab that trilogy to which shall not be named). 2 of which were....hmmm....less than nice?
Ayrik Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 16:49:14
He is Tom Hanks wearing a disguise. I'm good with voices, the ears never lie.
Markustay Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 08:17:34
Wow.

No comment.

Okay... maybe just one... why do I find this so Ironic?

I wish him the best of luck, although I don't watch the show myself (then again, I might, if he were on it).

I wonder if they'll make him run the Watercourse.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 07:15:07
Hmm, the "ultimate" RPG game? LOL!!! I'd do it!
Rosemary Jones Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 05:21:12
I posted this elsewhere but I wanted to let you know that former Wizards editor Phil Athans is making a serious attempt to be voted onto Survivor.

http://tinyurl.com/29ds7jy

I think we owe it to Phil to do what we can. I suggest sending out the link to your friends with the refrain:

Put a gamer in the game!

According to Phil's tweet about this today, the voting day is 1-11-11 -- maybe ask everyone you know to post on that day "Put a gamer in the game" and Phil's link at that time.

Let's roll a 20 for him!
Rosemary Jones
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 21 Sep 2010 : 14:54:50
quote:

Well, according to one designer I respect nearly above all others (top three), WotC/TSR/Hasbro does NOT pay "the going rate", which says a lot about all the people leaving... as well as the people staying.
To me that would seem to suggest that people stay because they really love it, but I guess one could look at it a different way.

Myself, I've discussed positions there with at least one freelance designer weighing the loss in income vs. the chance to contribute to something so near and dear to his/her heart.

Cheers
Markustay Posted - 20 Sep 2010 : 18:19:01
Well, according to one designer I respect nearly above all others (top three), WotC/TSR/Hasbro does NOT pay "the going rate", which says a lot about all the people leaving... as well as the people staying.

Its in a thread somewhere, but I won't go looking for it, and I don't want to embarrass said person by quoting them this way.

On a brighter note, they appear to be heading in a new direction, and if these employee changes were the cause, or were an 'effect' of said 'new direction', then it could be a positive in the long run.

Lets wait and see.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 20 Sep 2010 : 18:06:46
Maybe I've just gotten a bit cynical in my middle-years... I see that sort of thing happen a lot, though, and usually it gets sugar-coated into "she/he got a better offer."
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 20 Sep 2010 : 18:01:50
Maybe we shouldn't speculate and instead just read her own words on the subject: http://community.wizards.com/bookclub/blog/2010/09/17/bye!

Also, I happen to know a little about the circumstances of Erin leaving, and it isn't to do with disagreement as to content, etc. I won't speak for her, but I see no evidence of any grand conspiracy or a difference of opinion that's led to the exodus. More like unlucky timing.

Cheers

P.S. In other news, the FR Book Editor position is now open, for any scribes who feel they have the writing/editing chops and are interested in applying: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA4/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=HASBRO&cws=7&rid=6234
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 20 Sep 2010 : 17:54:47
Translation: She was tired of all the BS and found a place willing to giver her the respect and pay she deserved.... I've seen it happen many times, in various fields.
Shemmy Posted - 20 Sep 2010 : 17:36:14
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Mayhap there was a difference of opinion as to what should be printed? We can only guess....

I've seen elsewhere that she simply got a really good offer elsewhere.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 20 Sep 2010 : 17:23:22
Mayhap there was a difference of opinion as to what should be printed? We can only guess....
Fordy Posted - 20 Sep 2010 : 11:09:31
I don't know whether this has been mentioned on the forum yet, but further to this, Susan Morris has now left WotC, meaning that the entire novel team has gone in a few short weeks. I know Wizards is prone to the odd radical shake up from time to time, but this seems a bit drastic to me.
Jakk Posted - 03 Jul 2010 : 23:18:34
I have never seen (let alone helped, for which the mods have my apologies) a thread stray so far OT before... at least on this site...

Anyway, I've said my piece on-topic (and otherwise) here, so in the interests of trying to get this scroll back on topic, I won't be posting to it again; if something here catches my interest, I'll PM the poster.
Kyrene Posted - 30 Jun 2010 : 08:27:10
quote:

It was in Dragon Annual #4.

Thanks!
Markustay Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 21:42:56
{sigh} You know, sometimes a spade isn't a spade. I was actually thinking about a friend of mine, who had worked for Hewlitt Packard for 30 years, and was replaced by 3 kids fresh out of college for the same salary they were paying him.

They even asked him to train his replacements before he left... corporations have NO feelings what-so-ever.

This has nothing to do with Hasbro, or WotC, or 4th edition, or the Realms, etc... it was just a comment about how these things work. I've seen it plenty of times. I guess when you get used to someone 'casting stones', you just automatically 'duck', eh?

quote:
Originally posted by Fordy

I'm not in the know or anything, but I believe Erin was only very young anyway (early twenties). This doesn't really seem plausible.

My bad; then it is probably just a consolidation like Mr. Misc. pointed out. Either way, my point as that it probably has nothing to do with the state of D&D or anything else - just a normal, every day, business decision.

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

And you don't provide a link for the rest of us inquiring scribes? Tsk, tsk!
It was in Dragon Annual #4.
Mr_Miscellany Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 21:01:52
quote:

Not a nice thought, but that's how these things work in corporations.
Lolz. OK, Karnak.

WotC could choose to consolidate under their current/existing staff.

Or they could leave the positions open and unfilled.

That's also how these things work in corporations.

How long 'till evidence of a reorg comes up, I dunno.
The Red Walker Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 21:00:53
quote:

It appears Erin Evans (who I beleive was in charge of the Eberron line) has also been given the boot. Wonder what this means for the future of WotC's novel lines.

Sad to hear, she is a nice person and I really enjoyed her work.
Caolin Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 20:27:54
quote:

Language is cool; in the Cartographer's Guild there is a whole sub-forum about Conlangs - I never even knew such things existed before going there! The truly great fantasy world-builders build their own language, or languages, so that place-names will all have a certain similarity in each region.

One of the most helpful FR articles I ever read was Tom Costa's on Torillian languages. It formed the base form most of my cultural history and ancient human migrations.

quote:

It appears Erin Evans (who I beleive was in charge of the Eberron line) has also been given the boot. Wonder what this means for the future of WotC's novel lines.
It mean they will hire kids right out of college for half the money, who will probably do as good a job as the previous guys.

You know, this definitely deserves to be in it's own thread, but your comment on regional languages on Fantasy maps dictating land names prompted me to comment on a thought that's been in my head. I watch a lot of geology shows on the History Channel (How the Earth Was Made) and it got me thinking about how most fantasy maps hardly ever take into account how geology will affect the climate and the culture of certain regions. Part of me wants to go over the Faerunian map to figure out what the climate would actually be like for certain regions and what atmospheric and oceanic patterns would develop. I'm curious how close it would be to established lore. Any ways, sorry to go off topic.
Kyrene Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 19:42:44
quote:

One of the most helpful FR articles I ever read was Tom Costa's on Torillian languages. It formed the base form most of my cultural history and ancient human migrations.

And you don't provide a link for the rest of us enquiring scribes? Tsk, tsk!
Fordy Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 18:47:18
I'm not in the know or anything, but I believe Erin was only very young anyway (early twenties). This doesn't really seem plausible.
Markustay Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 18:44:38
Language is cool; in the Cartographer's Guild there is a whole sub-forum about Conlangs - I never even knew such things existed before going there! The truly great fantasy world-builders build their own language, or languages, so that place-names will all have a certain similarity in each region.

quote:

It mean they will hire kids right out of college for half the money, who will probably do as good a job as the previous guys.

Larloch Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 18:36:15
quote:

Latin languages are very diverse and very regional, although I was surprised how easily some folks can understand each other.

Not Spanish-to-Spanish, but Spanish-to-Italian!

I used to work in NY city, on a big construction project, and the electricians were all Puerto Rican, and the painters were nearly all Sicilian (and if you called them Italian they got upset!). The painters were mostly recent arrivals, but the Puerto Ricans were all native NYers (but bi-lingual), and they would have conversations - both speaking their OWN LANGUAGE - and they would understand enough to be able to do so.

There were a couple of non-Sicilian Italians there as well, and they said their version of Italian was different from Sicilian (and gave me several examples).

I also used to work in a restaurant where nearly all the kitchen help were El Salvadorians, and I picked-up quite a lot from them. When I attempted to use some of my 'Spanish' with other nationalities, I found-out a lot of what I 'knew' was actually regional slang specific to El Salvador.

Still, they could all understand each other, just like English-speakers can all understand each other. Some accents are so heavy it does make it hard to follow though - I saw a show that took place in New Zealand and they had to use sub-titles, even though they were speaking English (or what passed for it there). I'm sure they feel the same way about us.

Anyway, lets try to keep the hate out of at least a few threads, eh Nicolai? Its never pleasant when anyone loses their job. Thanks.

All the languages coming from the latin have some elements in common so is quite easy for a person from one of this countries to understand another languange with the same "base". Some are easy, italian-spanish, and other althought they have the same base are more difficult, like the romanian.

Of course there are diferents varieties. Within the Castilian, how is called the "spanish" language, there are many differents dialects. For example, in Spain, it's not the same way of pronnouncing and the way it is spoken the castilian in Andalusia that in Madrid. This, of course, without considering others languages that exist within Spain like catalan, vasque or galician apart from the castilian.

It's quite complex.
Fordy Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 16:30:34
Sylrae Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 11:19:00
From what I remember, in england, they call 'fries' chips, and they call 'chips' crisps.
I prefer to say it the north american way, though I have to agree that it makes sense to call the crispy ones potato crisps, even though I don't do so.
Sylrae Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 10:56:52
From what I remember, in england, they call 'fries' chips, and they call 'chips' crisps.
I prefer to say it the north american way, though I have to agree that it makes sense to call the crispy ones potato crisps, even though I don't do so.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 00:47:04
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Than off coarse thare's Sef Efricen English (I tried to do that one phonetically). We call fries, chips (like I think the Brits do) and even have a version called "slap chips" (not very crispy fried fries; "slap" being the Afrikaans–that has crept into colloquial English–word for "floppy"; goes great with fish or just salt and vinegar). I think what Markus called "chips" are actually "crisps" in the US, right?

Anyway, gimme my 'chips' with plain old tomato sauce, none of that ketchup, please!

Oh, and I'm sure Phil will land on his feet. He has edited some of the better recent Realms books and anthologies I have read.
Edit: Not to mention, thanks for Three-feet, Phil!

In the US, little sticks of potato (or wedges, in some places) are called French fries, or just fries. Chips are those wafers of potato that are sliced very thin and lightly fried, such as Ruffles or Pringles (though the best potato chips are Baked Lays! ).
Kyrene Posted - 28 Jun 2010 : 08:26:11
Than off coarse thare's Sef Efricen English (I tried to do that one phonetically). We call fries, chips (like I think the Brits do) and even have a version called "slap chips" (not very crispy fried fries; "slap" being the Afrikaans–that has crept into colloquial English–word for "floppy"; goes great with fish or just salt and vinegar). I think what Markus called "chips" are actually "crisps" in the US, right?

Anyway, gimme my 'chips' with plain old tomato sauce, none of that ketchup, please!

Oh, and I'm sure Phil will land on his feet. He has edited some of the better recent Realms books and anthologies I have read.
Edit: Not to mention, thanks for Three-feet, Phil!
althen artren Posted - 28 Jun 2010 : 02:18:53
Going back to the fries thing, I also like them with tartar sauce.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000