Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stupid question time...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  21:53:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Let's say resurrection will not destroy the cut off parts which were scavenged by someone from the body. Is it possible for some mage to create flesh golem from his own parts that way?

Why not? They're just body parts, at that point.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  22:33:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, flesh is flesh. An unnatural construct like a flesh golem is not the sort of thing created by those troubled with squeamish or moral burdens.

The simulacrum spell also uses some undisclosed quantity of flesh; note that simulacra could be made of the caster or of the ancient white dragon he just found. Some of the more vile 1E spells (removed then later reintroduced to 2E) involving binding of demons and such involved a pound of the caster's flesh, although I can't recall if that rule is canon or an embellishment added by some DM.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  08:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On related note: are there any rules about resurrection and body parts? Like, could you have as trophy two Elminster heads if he was resurrected once and dealt with again? Or there are certain unspoken rules about resurrection and body parts after it?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  09:05:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do vaguely recall a grim short tale in which an evil dwarf so grievously betrayed and wronged an elf that champions of the community swore ancient oaths of blood, hatred, and vengeance. Some severed dwarven limbs (and other body parts) - adding up to a rather shocking quantity over the decades - are mysteriously deposited at the doorstep of the elven widow every year on the anniversary of her lover's death, a small token of justice to help ease the pain of her loss. Elven memories are long indeed, and suffering can be prolongued indefinitely with a ring of regeneration.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 07 Sep 2011 09:11:24
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  00:06:59  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.... Might have to borrow that idea for my campaign.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  00:14:06  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the tale; I hadn't recalled all the details with accuracy. It's from the sidebar text prefacing Chapter 4 in the 2E PHBR8: Complete Book of Elves.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  00:27:21  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh. I might have to re-read that....

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  00:37:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's interesting what sorts of embellishments the memory invents when left untended for years or decades, although I do admit that I did consult my PHBR8 several times about a year ago, possibly rereading that same passage as I'd originally read it nearly 20 years past. I do kinda like my twists to that tale a little more, to be honest.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  13:27:37  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question regarding pronunciation, if I may please?

The Ffolking Ffolk of the Moonshaes... how do you pronounce Ffolk?

Is it with a stutter or just an emphasis on the F?

It's been bugging me forever!

Thanks in advance
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  16:41:17  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

Thanks in advance

It may be only one 'f' is silent or it could be a 'long f'. That is just a theory.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  17:00:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's explained well enough here. Basically: it's a Welsh digraph attributed to many Gaelic (or pseudo-Celtic) names and words; ff (also written as ph) sounds like "f" in ferry or folly, while a single f sounds more like "v" in very or volley; ffolk is pronounced folk just as in English, not as volk in German.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  17:47:06  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the clarification, Drakul and Ayrik, much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  02:25:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

Thanks in advance

I'm sure there was a previous discussion here at Candlekeep about this exact issue.

*Checking the archives now*

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

WizardsHerb
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2011 :  14:55:20  Show Profile Send WizardsHerb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does everyone eat?

Do elves need to eat less in the same way that they need to "sleep" less?
Would smaller elf tribes/settlements bother with farming, or would foraging be enough?

Do underground settlements sometimes have outside farms near their surface entrances?

Do genasi and other planetouched have unusual diets such as including their element or otherwise race-specific cravings and dislikes?
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2011 :  16:41:00  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WizardsHerb

Do elves need to eat less in the same way that they need to "sleep" less?

I imagine that most races need a certain caloric intake to keep themselves in top condition. Eating less would mean that the body has less energy reserves to use. The amount of activity would also come into play here, if you were just sitting around not doing very much of anything then you would require less food than someone that was fighting constant battles or travelling a long distance on foot.

quote:
Do underground settlements sometimes have outside farms near their surface entrances?

Some may, but I do know that Drow and other subterranean races have vast mushroom/fungus farms growing underground near where they dwell.

As to the other questions, I have no answer to them. Hopefully someone else can answer them for you.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2011 :  02:18:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Different species and races have different metabolic efficiency. It can even be observed in human ethnicities, some have a greater tendency to stay slender, or heavier, than others while eating the same food, in greater or lesser quantities.

Food goes in, food goes out. Some species can convert more of the energy stored in that food into useful biological processes. Metabolic efficiency (in terms of biochemistry) is far from being 100% efficient, most of the potential energy stored in food is simply wasted, passed down the foodchain for another species to consume.

Fantasy elves are typically described as eating little yet being capable of exerting themselves at least as well as humans, they apparently prefer "light fare" such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, berries, and sparkling wines. Fantasy dwarves are always legendary for their robust appetites, consuming great quantities of meat and potatoes and alcohol in whatever variety is available, then consuming more and getting drunk ... I would suggest that the only time a typical dwarf isn't grumbling and complaining about something is when his mouth is full of food. Halflings, like Tolkien's hobbits, seem to always be hungry, hardly able to go more than a few minutes between the snacks they have between meals.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Oct 2011 02:26:01
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2011 :  03:04:01  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Civilized hobbits simply have to have their six meals a day, with tea at 11a and 2p.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

WizardsHerb
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2011 :  03:47:46  Show Profile Send WizardsHerb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, that's perfect. :)
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2011 :  23:50:32  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall that there was something in the Complete Book of Elves regarding diet, and also in the Races of the Wild, I believe.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  06:46:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Therise

Civilized hobbits simply have to have their six meals a day, with tea at 11a and 2p.
That first teatime would conflict with second breakfast, brunch, and elevenses. I think properly civilized hobbits would enjoy morning teatime sometime between 9 o'clock and 10, then postpone the biscuits until early afternoon, before lunch, enjoying a proper teatime (and some pipeweed) between 1 o'clock and second lunch ... unless hosting guests, in which case etiquette would demand a proper elevenses teatime followed by a hasty two-hour mealtime instead. True, they might require a few small snacks in between, lest they become disgruntled from hunger.

I'm rather dismayed by the drinking contest between Legolas and Gimli in the third Lord of the Rings movie. Legolas seemed mildly astonished that he was beginning to feel a slight tingle in his fingers whilst Gimli was slurring and cross-eyed on the verge of unconscious stupor. True, Legolas could only boast some eight or nine neatly stacked empty beersteins while Gimli had haphazardly piled nearly twice as many before him. Still, this comical exaggeration is inconsistent with common fantasy depictions wherein a dwarf should drink half a dozen elves under the table as mere prelude to a night of serious drinking. Doubly so when cheap beer or coarse alcohol is involved, rather than fruity wine coolers.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  16:14:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is the school of defensive magic called “Abjuration”? There's nothing in its English meaning that refers to defense.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines it as:
1 : a solemn oath
2 : an earnest urging or advising

Cambrige Dictionary's definition of abjure: to state publicly that you no longer agree with a belief or way of behaving

Why that word? Nullification, Cancellation, or Protection sound more appropriate, albeit not as catchy.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  17:49:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Why is the school of defensive magic called “Abjuration”? There's nothing in its English meaning that refers to defense.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines it as:
1 : a solemn oath
2 : an earnest urging or advising

Cambrige Dictionary's definition of abjure: to state publicly that you no longer agree with a belief or way of behaving

Why that word? Nullification, Cancellation, or Protection sound more appropriate, albeit not as catchy.

Dictionary.com says:

quote:
verb (used with object), -jured, -jur·ing.
1. to renounce, repudiate, or retract, especially with formal solemnity; recant: to abjure one's errors.
2. to renounce or give up under oath; forswear: to abjure allegiance.
3. to avoid or shun.

And that school of magic is about avoiding or shunning damage, so it works for me.

I'm wondering if you looked up adjure, instead of abjure.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  23:41:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, not adjure, but abjure. The latter means "to beg."

Cambrigdge and Merriam-Webster don't have "avoid" and "eschew" as another meaning for abjure. Given said meanings [from dictionary.com], I guess it makes sense now.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  05:21:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

No, not adjure, but abjure. The latter means "to beg."

Cambrigdge and Merriam-Webster don't have "avoid" and "eschew" as another meaning for abjure. Given said meanings [from dictionary.com], I guess it makes sense now.

The reason I thought that is because the definition you posted for abjure is a lot closer to the definition of adjure. And it's not the definition for abjure found on the Merriam-Webster website.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  05:55:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wanted to show the definitions from the two most recognized "official" dictionaries. For some reason, abjuration is not in Cambridge, so I showed its base form instead, abjure.

Regarding my post above, I don't know if you noticed, but what I meant was "former," not latter.

It is a bit strange that dictionary.com provides more definitions than MW and Cmbrg.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  05:57:27  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly's right, "abjure" is to renounce, to shun. "Adjure" is to request, to bind (like an oath).

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  06:09:15  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Therise

That first teatime would conflict with second breakfast, brunch, and elevenses. I think properly civilized hobbits would enjoy morning teatime sometime between 9 o'clock and 10, then postpone the biscuits until early afternoon, before lunch, enjoying a proper teatime (and some pipeweed) between 1 o'clock and second lunch ... unless hosting guests, in which case etiquette would demand a proper elevenses teatime followed by a hasty two-hour mealtime instead. True, they might require a few small snacks in between, lest they become disgruntled from hunger.

Goodness! It's been a while since I've visited the hobbits, of course, but I guess that means they moved their morning schedule around in order to accomodate my usual elevenses. So, at what time do they traditionally serve the amuse-bouche? And the later schedule would be shifted as well, I'm thinking. Cocktails before or after the traditional evening entremet?

And the six meals and tea still isn't meant to include the late evening and midnight snacks, right?

quote:
I'm rather dismayed by the drinking contest between Legolas and Gimli in the third Lord of the Rings movie. Legolas seemed mildly astonished that he was beginning to feel a slight tingle in his fingers whilst Gimli was slurring and cross-eyed on the verge of unconscious stupor. True, Legolas could only boast some eight or nine neatly stacked empty beersteins while Gimli had haphazardly piled nearly twice as many before him. Still, this comical exaggeration is inconsistent with common fantasy depictions wherein a dwarf should drink half a dozen elves under the table as mere prelude to a night of serious drinking. Doubly so when cheap beer or coarse alcohol is involved, rather than fruity wine coolers.

Indeed. Elves are usually not quite so gifted in handling their mead.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  17:23:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I've seen more than one bit of fantasy where elven liquor is surprisingly strong, even compared to dwarven spirits.

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  19:21:57  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it all depends on the author and what point they are wanting to get across. In my own imagination elven wine would be lighter and more refined than dwarven liqour. Especially since they used to be frail (-2 con) as opposed to hardy (+2 con).

Drinking stronger liqour doesn't make you any better or worse = D

JAGGBERBOOOOOOOMBS
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  12:58:43  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question: do you think any wizards in Toril have a kind of magic 8-ball?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000