Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stupid question time...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  04:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh believe me, I know that document well, my friend. I even had it in my signature for a while, before I changed it out for the link to the Paladinic Ethos. It helps me look things up in the middle of a discussion if my books are at home, along with my notes.

Okay, and thank you. Two agreeing on that is enough for me.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  04:51:53  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Thank you, Alystra. Traditionally, I'm not at all a fan of house rules or anything. A few are all right, such as rolling methods or what have you, but some things I can't stand. Even walked out of a game once where the DM decided to redesign classes as he saw fit, and create new ones. This is one of those I'll have to think about, and look more into online to see if someone else has read more Pathfinder material than I have when it comes to situations such as this.

Ed uses (lots) of house rules, and I wish I could get a copy! Mr. Greenwood has some amazing things we normal people can't know of because of NDAs. To each his or her own.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  06:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to ask about wings gained by getting some class. Can you regenerate them if they are lost? Or hide them and then show them, like they suddenly grow out of the back? How many fashion designs for winged characters are there anyway?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  08:15:46  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-On that tangent, 3e and Pathfinder (from the rules I've seen) don't really do it for me, in terms of racial weapons (and armor, I guess) and automatic/not-automatic proficiencies. How does 4e handle those things?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  16:55:19  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

I want to ask about wings gained by getting some class. Can you regenerate them if they are lost? Or hide them and then show them, like they suddenly grow out of the back? How many fashion designs for winged characters are there anyway?

I'm assuming you talking from a 3e stand-point but the amount of Prestige Classes that give you wings is far and few between. I think the Rainbow Servant (Complete Divine) PrC allows you to obtain wings, possibly the Dragon Disciple (DMG) might too. I also believe there was one in Complete Mage which allowed the Warlock to gain feathery wings like that of an Angel and another PrC in Dragon Magic designed for Clerics.

I would venture to guess that most wings come in either one of two-types: Bat-like and leathery and/or Angelic and feathery. The Rainbow Servents are feathery, but are the color and hue of a Rainbow.

As for regeneration, I'd assume the standard effects would apply to them as any other appendge you were trying to re-grow with a Regeneration spell or similar effect.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-On that tangent, 3e and Pathfinder (from the rules I've seen) don't really do it for me, in terms of racial weapons (and armor, I guess) and automatic/not-automatic proficiencies. How does 4e handle those things?

It's noted in the race's description which (if any) weapons they're naturally proficient with. Eladrin automatically gain proficiency with Longswords while Dwarves gain Warhammers and Throwing Hammers. Elves gain longbow and shortbow. As of yet, I haven't seen specific racial weapons (such as the Thinblade) done for 4E but if there are some coming in the future, it'll probably be a feat to grab proficiency with them.

Keep in mind though that just because you don't have proficiency with the weapon doesn't mean you can't use it. It just means you don't add a nice little proficiency bonus to attack powers with the Weapon Keyword (like melee basic attack for example).
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  07:26:51  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suddenly got the question just now...

Why all guides assume the PC in PrC or Base class description as she? (unless it is not male-only class)

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 14 Jun 2011 07:27:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  11:00:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why all guides assume the PC in PrC or Base class description as she? (unless it is not male-only class)

Because for years they all assumed male, and now they're trying to be more inclusive of the fairer sex. Me, I think they're trying too hard, and that the constant "she/she/her/she" is jarring.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  18:09:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Because for years they all assumed male, and now they're trying to be more inclusive of the fairer sex. Me, I think they're trying too hard, and that the constant "she/she/her/she" is jarring.

-Actually, I think it's because of the tendency (rule, perhaps? Don't know enough about that) in English to use the female as the descriptive pronoun when describing 'cherished things' that don't have a specific gender, such as boats, cars, countries, etc.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  18:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought that in the 3.x era the pronoun used was dependent upon the npc icon (i.e. Lidda, the female halfling rogue, and the rogue class description uses the female pronoun).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  18:45:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

I always thought that in the 3.x era the pronoun used was dependent upon the npc icon (i.e. Lidda, the female halfling rogue, and the rogue class description uses the female pronoun).

This. If you notice in the PHB, the Barbarian is a half-orc male named Krusk and when referring to rules related to the Barbarian, it's used with a "He". Further, you'll notice the Monk is a human female named Ember and references to Monk class abilities is done with a "She".
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  08:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: can 'rouge' familiar grow very intelligent to extent of secretly leading organization?

Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  15:23:47  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello

'tis I, back to litter this thread with another daft question...

Would it be considered 'improper' for a paladin of Helm to perform simple sleight of hand tricks, given that, they are by their nature a deception and (if I have the correct interpretation) a paladin should be transparent in everything they do?

The reason for the question is that I wanted to give an otherwise cool and controlled character an unconcious nervous 'tick', one in part based on her background as the daughter of a bard, and the justification being that rather than being taught the trick in steps, she simply learned it by watching closely (part of Helm's tennets).

Ta, all ;)

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2011 :  17:22:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, in a way it might be argued that a paladin of Helm should actually become skilled at such tricks of misdirection and deception, since mastering them would help provide sharper senses for detecting such trickery employed against them. For all I know, Helm's holy doctrine might contain extensive passages debunking the tricks of illusionists, stage magicians, gamblers, and conmen of all sorts. An incorrigible streetwise prankster paladin of Helm would be an interesting character and - although a real pain in the orbs to his superiors - also an invaluable asset (and source of endless "lessons" about unfaltering vigilance/etc) to his peers ... especially when there is need to travel more seedy and dubious pathways in the service of Helm.

"Perfectly transparent" is a phrase which has always seemed ironically ambiguous to me. Does it mean something is instantly plain and obvious, that what you see is exactly what you get? Or does it mean something is, like a piece of "crystal clear" glass, almost entirely invisible and thus cannot be seen, that you actually perceive nothing at all or perceive something else (as seen right through it) instead? Disambiguation of such treacherous language could be fine stuff for an eclectic paladin of Helm to meditate and proselytize upon.

Finally, it seems to me that there's a stuffy deadly serious Latin-chanting militant Teutonic/Solamnic cookie-cutter archetype of sorts associated with paladins. It is true that there are solemn religious obligations and a certain degree of proper piety associated with religion (in and out of D&D), and it's also true that some persons are attracted to these vocations whereas others are repelled ... yet paladins are people and individual paladins can vary tremendously. There is also the matter of different denominations, factions, and schisms within each faith - Helm's churches may not be as unified in their teachings as they claim or the outside world generally assumes. Consider the paladins from Europe's history and folklore, professing (almost exclusively) to follow the same canon and serve the same church and god yet ranging from the noble champions of King Arthur's Court to despicable land-owning tyrants who were little better than the opportunistic bandits they were charged to police.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Jun 2011 17:34:17
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  06:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question: is gish a mage that can fight or warrior that can cast magic?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  07:28:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question: is there any D&D equivalent to the infamous Elizabeth Bathory? One of the erinyes or succubi queens perhaps? Or a figure from Ravenloft lore?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  13:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response, Arik. My apologies for not replying sooner, I tried to last night and was not far off hitting the 'post' button when my laptop froze...

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Haha, in a way it might be argued that a paladin of Helm should actually become skilled at such tricks of misdirection and deception, since mastering them would help provide sharper senses for detecting such trickery employed against them.

This was also my rantionale for thinking it could be considered reasonable for a Helmite to know such things. In fact I think you could go further and argue that it would be less acceptable for them not to know how such things work and end up having the wool pulled over their eyes! I'm not sure how far you could push this logic for other faiths but it certainly works when you consider that the, er, watchword for a Helmite is vigilance.

quote:
For all I know, Helm's holy doctrine might contain extensive passages debunking the tricks of illusionists, stage magicians, gamblers, and conmen of all sorts.

It wouldn't suprise me in the least. It's possible it might even be something of a pre-requiste for a city guard or anyone working as a 'bouncer' For places where gambling / gaming is banned it would be useful for your guards to be able to spot the signs of illicit gaming etc, and for where the practise isn't banned it would be useful for a guard to be able to readily identify a cheat. I was wondering, are there any articles - either official or otherwise, and aside from Faiths & Avators & Faiths & Pantheons - that expand on the tenets,

quote:
An incorrigible streetwise prankster paladin of Helm would be an interesting character and - although a real pain in the orbs to his superiors - also an invaluable asset (and source of endless "lessons" about unfaltering vigilance/etc) to his peers ... especially when there is need to travel more seedy and dubious pathways in the service of Helm.

I don't see the character as much of a prankster (although that'd be fun: by example or being the example...) But I do see her as the type who would intervene if she realised was someone being unwittingly taken for a ride by a con artist or a cheat, either by making the person aware of the cheat or even playing the con artist at their own game.

quote:
"Perfectly transparent" is a phrase which has always seemed ironically ambiguous to me. Does it mean something is instantly plain and obvious, that what you see is exactly what you get? Or does it mean something is, like a piece of "crystal clear" glass, almost entirely invisible and thus cannot be seen, that you actually perceive nothing at all or perceive something else (as seen right through it) instead? Disambiguation of such treacherous language could be fine stuff for an eclectic paladin of Helm to meditate and proselytize upon.

I hadn't considered this but I like it. It's just the kind of conversation my character would have with her mentor.

quote:
Finally, it seems to me that there's a stuffy deadly serious Latin-chanting militant Teutonic/Solamnic cookie-cutter archetype of sorts associated with paladins.

And Helmites...

quote:
There is also the matter of different denominations, factions, and schisms within each faith - Helm's churches may not be as unified in their teachings as they claim or the outside world generally assumes. Consider the paladins from Europe's history and folklore, professing (almost exclusively) to follow the same canon and serve the same church and god yet ranging from the noble champions of King Arthur's Court to despicable land-owning tyrants who were little better than the opportunistic bandits they were charged to police.

Absolutely, you only need to look at the number of factions within the three main Earthly religions or consider any personal experiences you might have of religions and the people within them to know that one persons experience and interpretation could be pole apart from someone else's. Fortunately, in Faerunian religion, if there's a disagreement over interpretation you can always get an answer from the horse's mouth!

quote:
It is true that there are solemn religious obligations and a certain degree of proper piety associated with religion (in and out of D&D), and it's also true that some persons are attracted to these vocations whereas others are repelled ... yet paladins are people and individual paladins can vary tremendously.

This is where I've found the paladin's handbook both a help and a hinderance. For example (and I realise the suggestion is only that) I personally struggle with revenge as appropriate motivation for a paladin; it's an emotion that comes from quite a dark place and could easily lead to someone taking things too far. Or maybe that's just me...

Thanks again for your help.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  14:54:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sill Alias

A question: is gish a mage that can fight or warrior that can cast magic?
The answer to your question is yes.

The term "gish" originally appeared in the AD&D 1E Fiend Folio as a low-ranking military title for multiclassed fighter/mage githyanki, and it has of course carried over in all subsequent D&D editions. "Gish" was adopted by gamers to describe any sort of race, class, multiclass, or build which combines the qualities of traditional fighter and mage classes in one character. I personally think "gish" is a well suited word for githyanki language; the giths at my table pronounce it as a sort of breathless truncated glottal-clicky sound.

I've noticed "gish" is starting to see more generalized usage outside of gaming, typically seeming to mean something or someone is distracted, undisciplined, lackadaisical, lugubrious, incompetent, or just doesn't really properly focus enough on anything to follow things through to completion. Gish replaces other words Candlekeep's Code of Conduct won't let me type here, but these days a lot of people pretend they're smart and cool by emulating hardcore nerds with stolen jargon.

Hope this helps. My motives, as always, are perfectly transparent.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 23 Jun 2011 15:26:26
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  06:07:15  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answer. Actually it was more like a trick question cause I saw strange attempts to be good fighter and to be able to cast epic magic without losing anything. In my opinion it is more a warrior than mage and true gish is 50-50 unless he is trying special class like duskblade.

A good info. How come 'gish' got bad meaning as jargon word? Is it because of players?

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  09:48:32  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why are so many elves left around after ''the Retreat''. æPor que? Por que? Por que? Por que?

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  21:57:02  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some elves resisted the call to "Retreat" (the Elmanesse and Suldusk of Tethir's forest), some were curious about Faerun (especially if they grew up on Evermeet), and others were exiled for various reasons. Take Princess Amnestria, youngest child of King Zaor and Queen Amlaruil. When King Zaor died on 2 Ches, 1321 DR, it was because Amnestria had made an elfgate that connected Evermeet and Faerun, and because it could not be sealed, a gold elf who followed Kymil Nimesin (I remember he was of House Ni'Tessine) was able to use the gate to go to Evermeet and killed King Zaor. Thus because of this, she was exiled and moved to Evereska under the name "Z'beryl". And let's not forget Elaith "the Serpent" Craulnober, who exiled himself when his family's moonblade failed to accept him and went dormant.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  01:41:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Lily M Green
quote:
"Perfectly transparent" is a phrase which has always seemed ironically ambiguous to me ...
I hadn't considered this but I like it. It's just the kind of conversation my character would have with her mentor.
English is not my native language, so I tend to pick it apart (and sometimes misinterpret meanings) with methodically literal precision.
quote:
Lily M Green

... I've found the paladin's handbook both a help and a hinderance. For example (and I realise the suggestion is only that) I personally struggle with revenge as appropriate motivation for a paladin; it's an emotion that comes from quite a dark place and could easily lead to someone taking things too far. Or maybe that's just me...
I don't think it's just you, although I do suspect it's just your cultural values. Our society tends to consider things like anger and revenge as "dark" motivations. But a warrior society might aspire towards attaining perfection in berserk fury or ultimate revenge. A militant or competitive or hostile society might expect such drives to be entirely inevitable; whereas on the other extreme, a pacifistic or benign society might view paladins (and the violence they bring) as distasteful and obsolete throwbacks.

And then there are always those special circumstances which seem to make some vengeance acceptable to society. Consider an antihero like Batman - a violent vigilante driven by his unhealthy fixation on vengeance, he acts above the law and punishes (even executes) as he deems fit. Hardly a paladin, but still generally seen as a hero within his society.

Finally, there's the worst source of (mis)judgement of them all. The individual paladin (or her equally fallable superiors). She may firmly believe that she is not acting with hatred and vengeance but instead with holy fervour and some sacred duty or revelation she alone is charged with knowing. Helm seems like the sort of god who pays attention to little details and promotes desirable behaviour through standard spell-granting reward/punishment systems ... but I think if you can fool yourself then you can also fool your god, because what he will see in your heart and soul is what you think is there. Remember that the deities of Faerūn are demonstrably not omnipotent, omniscient, nor immortal; they are aloof and petty, to me they seem like bad pet owners who semi-reluctantly endure the chores associated with maintaining their followers.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 25 Jun 2011 01:43:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  01:48:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Why are so many elves left around after ''the Retreat''. æPor que? Por que? Por que? Por que?

Elves of Evermeet notes that many elves -- particularly moon elves -- remained simply for the sake of continuing their adventures in the Realms. And many green elves remained to defend their traditional forest homelands.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  05:11:21  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

-Not everyone retreated. Purposefully, or they just didn't get around to it by the time it ended.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  22:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If a character uses "Wraith Form" can they be turned?

"Why is the torch burning blue?"
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2011 :  05:48:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wraithform has nothing to do with wraiths whatsoever, beyond the caster becoming insubstantial, incorporeal, translucent, and vaguely malleable in shape. In short: the caster can look and move very much like a wraith does, but he is in fact nothing at all like a true wraith ... he isn't undead, he isn't linked to or drawing from some outer-planar power source ... the constraints shaping his body are simply somehow loosened and blurred out of focus. So it seems unlikely that turning attempts would have any effect on the caster at all, unless of course he just happens to already be a lich or other undead form.

I suppose wraithform just sounded cooler than ghostly form, while gaseous form and immaterialism and etherealness were already in use and not entirely accurate. It is a spell of illusion or alteration, depending on which D&D edition you prefer.

Characters using spells to emulate ghoul touch, lich aura, vampiric lifesteal, or other "undead" powers are likewise generally unaffected by turning attempts, protection from evil, detect undead, and similar stuff. Again, these are typically magical manipulations which duplicate some specific ability of the undead, yet they do not actually make the caster undead (unless otherwise stated in the spell descriptions).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 29 Jun 2011 06:01:28
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  08:44:01  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked this - and other alignment related questions - a while ago

quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green

Having had a nosey through Faiths & Avatars and Faiths & Pantheons, could anyone enlighten me as to why the alignments of Helm's followers were altered between the two editions? From Good through Neutral encompassing chaotic alignments to purely Lawful Good through Evil). Was it something to do with the events in Maztica? (You're going to tell me I've answered my own question, right?) Sorry, still struggling to comprehend him having any followers of evil alignment. It's just not working for me.

A few people provided insights (thanks) but I found This discussion about Paladins & Blackguards very enlightening - especially the contributions fro Erik & Ghostwalker - and as it went some way to answering my question I thought I'd share it here.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  08:57:22  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is more to the fact that his zealots go too far with following his dogma and become evil with their brutal methods. I believe they are still subject of Helm, but he frowns on them and will strike them down if they go too far by twisting his dogma.

Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  15:12:09  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, Circa DR 1360, in the city of Zazzespur in Tethyr, is slavery legal?

At that time Tethyr was a number of independant City States. It mentions in one of the 2E books that in Myratma slave poaching is illegal, while in Saradush slavery itself is illegal, but no mention of Zazzespur.

"Why is the torch burning blue?"
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  10:13:31  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's say resurrection will not destroy the cut off parts which were scavenged by someone from the body. Is it possible for some mage to create flesh golem from his own parts that way?

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  21:40:44  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let's say resurrection will not destroy the cut off parts which were scavenged by someone from the body. Is it possible for some mage to create flesh golem from his own parts that way?

Check out the Half-Golem in MM2 (3.x).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000