Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stupid question time...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  00:07:47  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just use Nap from the tome of magic. 1 hour sleep=8 hours sleep.
I used it all the time for my cleric/mage in 2ed.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  19:26:36  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AA, thanks for the memory-jog. That was indeed the spell I was thinking of! Kudos.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  20:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Just use Nap from the tome of magic. 1 hour sleep=8 hours sleep.
I used it all the time for my cleric/mage in 2ed.

Also works! Thanks for the help, all.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  21:32:38  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green

Ah Ha! The very fella! I knew hadn't dreamt it. Although that spell would most certainly work, what I was looking for was 'Sentry of Helm'

I believe that the Tome of Magic had a spell with a simple name (not "Nap" but similar to that) wherein someone slept for an hour and had rested for a day. He or she could relearn spells but the spell could not be cast again until a certain period had passed. I don't have my copy of the book handy, but I recall the spell being used in a game I ran when the party needed to quickly recharge the clerics after battle.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.

Edited by - Azuth on 08 May 2011 21:33:08
Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  15:32:59  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I have a really enjoyable shield dwarf character I've been playing for almost 4 years now. He's Neutral, and a very aggressive and passionate character who was raised by his mother and grandfather (on his mother's side). As he developed, he has discover he has psionic wild talents (2nd ed). His beloved (female shield dwarf) is currently with child (2 months in) and he just discovered his mother's unspoken past: She was a pleasure slave to a powerful duergar and he was born after her escape. This explains the wild talents. My stupid questions are:

1. What are the odds of his child being born with grey skin?

2. What are the odds of his children inheriting his wild talents or being born full psionic?

"Why is the torch burning blue?"

Edited by - Gouf on 10 May 2011 15:36:41
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  15:40:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say if you want it to be so. Go for it...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  17:06:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gouf

OK, I have a really enjoyable shield dwarf character I've been playing for almost 4 years now. He's Neutral, and a very aggressive and passionate character who was raised by his mother and grandfather (on his mother's side). As he developed, he has discover he has psionic wild talents (2nd ed). His beloved (female shield dwarf) is currently with child (2 months in) and he just discovered his mother's unspoken past: She was a pleasure slave to a powerful duergar and he was born after her escape. This explains the wild talents. My stupid questions are:

1. What are the odds of his child being born with grey skin?

2. What are the odds of his children inheriting his wild talents or being born full psionic?

If he doesn't have grey skin, I'd rule that his offspring wouldn't, either. Remember, other than a couple of exceptions, genetics doesn't work in the Realms quite the same as in the real world.

I'd give the offspring the same chance, though, if not a better chance, of being a wild talent.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  17:24:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In terms of query [2] -- I'd say that given the fact that the Invisible Art occurs among humans and demihumans mostly as minor wild talents, inheritance is definitely a possibility.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  01:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In terms of query [2] -- I'd say that given the fact that the Invisible Art occurs among humans and demihumans mostly as minor wild talents, inheritance is definitely a possibility.

And in the 4E Realms, it seems that anyone can have innate magical abilities without the need to study Art. Pretty much every 4E book I've read (novelwise, to date) has characters with random, usually-caught-unawares magical skills. I'm just starting Eric's Waterdeep book, so I'll have to report back on that one.

As long as we're on stupid questions, why hasn't a mage come up with a spell to create a huge net with weights for dropping marauding dragons? If it doesn't target them, their spell resistance doesn't come into effect, and while the dragon's breath weapon may make a hole in the net, flying would be problematic at best for a few minutes. I'd imagine the size of the net would scale with level, so someone like Vangerdahast could summon an epic net.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  03:25:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

As long as we're on stupid questions, why hasn't a mage come up with a spell to create a huge net with weights for dropping marauding dragons? If it doesn't target them, their spell resistance doesn't come into effect, and while the dragon's breath weapon may make a hole in the net, flying would be problematic at best for a few minutes. I'd imagine the size of the net would scale with level, so someone like Vangerdahast could summon an epic net.

I think it was mentioned once. The idea, not the actual spell. 'Tis either in YoRD or one of Ed's novels. Can't recall exactly atm.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 11 May 2011 03:26:03
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  04:53:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there fitness gyms in the Realms?

[I know my question sounds weird. But my editor once asked me if I could include it my setting, which is a combination of medieval and modern...I haven't decided yet if I should. Anyway, given that FR is medieval-ish, would it be strange if there are fitness gyms? Since it's not really based on RW, I thought maybe it's not that strange...]

Edited by - Dennis on 11 May 2011 04:55:33
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  07:12:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say that some of the temples of Oghma have places where you probably can "work out". Mostly, I picture them as places to wrestle, practice blade work, etc. Plus, the fighting schools probably have practice fields where you could exercise.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

[I know my question sounds weird. But my editor once asked me if I could include it my setting, which is a combination of medieval and modern...I haven't decided yet if I should. Anyway, given that FR is medieval-ish, would it be strange if there are fitness gyms? Since it's not really based on RW, I thought maybe it's not that strange...]

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  07:48:21  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Banites would use a torture chamber to work out in, or would that be the church of Loviatar?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  17:18:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

And in the 4E Realms, it seems that anyone can have innate magical abilities without the need to study Art. Pretty much every 4E book I've read (novelwise, to date) has characters with random, usually-caught-unawares magical skills. I'm just starting Eric's Waterdeep book, so I'll have to report back on that one.

Yea, but that's rather the exception than the rule. Keep in mind that authors probably use this to make the main and supporting characters more interesting, but the general populace is much at is has been for the past, rather plain ol' boring commoners. I've not had the opportunity to read many FR novels during 4E's era though, so I'm really not up on the times.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  17:24:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As interesting as the concept is, I don't think they would honestly. At least, not for the common man. Possibly in some nobles homes/estates there might be something similar but it would be rather rare IMO. Drawing from our own RL knowledge of medieval/ancient times, people didn't run for fun or lift weights just to look sculpted. To do so requres a lot of food, other resources, and time. The fact is commoners and even nobility of a sort devoted more time to other things and not to exercise or physical health.

Warriors, men-at-arms, and other sell-swords don't need to work out at gyms because they're often wearing 70-120 lbs of armor and equipment on any given day plus battling and fighting in wars or adventures which often keeps your muscles and fitness in darn good shape.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  01:24:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I'd say that some of the temples of Oghma have places where you probably can "work out". Mostly, I picture them as places to wrestle, practice blade work, etc. Plus, the fighting schools probably have practice fields where you could exercise.

quote:

I'd suggest Lliiran and Sunite temples as well, as they tend toward concepts of great physical activity and admiration of physical beauty respectively. Lliiran fitness regimes would probably focus more on the "internalised" benefits of the joy and happiness that comes with being at a physical peak of performance, while Sunite temples promote the benefits of the "external" attraction a well-toned body can bring.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  01:30:14  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd suggest Lliiran and Sunite temples as well, as they tend toward concepts of great physical activity and admiration of physical beauty respectively. Lliiran fitness regimes would probably focus more on the "internalised" benefits of the joy and happiness that comes with being at a physical peak of performance, while Sunite temples promote the benefits of the "external" attraction a well-toned body can bring.

I'll just add that the Lliirans probably have great physique due to the "dancing" aspect of Lliira's portfolio. While they may not all be ballet dancers, most forms of dance require good balance and at least decent musculature to support the activity. Sune's...err...worshipping activities don't burn as many calories as people would like to think, unfortunately. We'll just leave it at that.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  01:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a stupid question. In Pathfinder, do drow also get low-light vision since they are of the elf subtype? And are they instantly proficient with any weapon that has 'elf' in it, like thinblade, etc?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  02:05:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I kinda expected Sunites. But Lliiran? Hmm, makes sense. Thanks, Sage.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  03:32:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could see the clergy of Lliira practicing yoga, or other eastern mediation/exercises. :)

quote:

quote:

quote:

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  04:13:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ancient Pool of Radiance novel describes the three heroes undertaking a variety of different-yet-similar physical and mental exercises while individually preparing for their BBEG confrontation against Tyranthraxus. Some of these are described as somewhat similar to yoga practices, although these might have just been the author's preferences.

Faerūn has had much contact with exotic "Eastern" places like Zakhara and Kara-Tur - not to mention any yoga (or whatever) exercises, disciplines, dances, styles, and martial arts which may have been imported other worlds (even our own). No doubt elves, dwarves, and all the rest have developed their own exercise regimens. I imagine that while humans have developed a wide variety of such things, other races might have developed deeper focus and variety within particular forms. Giant weightlifting, halfling gymnastics, kobold aerobics, and dragon firebreathing calisthenics might carry forms of exercise to extremes no human could imagine.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  04:20:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

I have a stupid question. In Pathfinder, do drow also get low-light vision since they are of the elf subtype? And are they instantly proficient with any weapon that has 'elf' in it, like thinblade, etc?

Nope, just darkvision 120ft. but that supercedes low-light vision, so sayeth the Pathfinder_OGC. As for the proficiencies, I'm not quite sure since I didn't think Pathfinder did a conversion for the elven thinblade, courtblade, or lightblade featured from the Races of the Wild supplement. They could have their own variants, which could be the same thing just re-named. If that were the case, I'd still say no since those weapons are inherent with the elven culture while Drow have their own social quirks (rapier, hand-crossbows, and shortswords) which emphasis their great Dexterity within confined areas such as the Underdark.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  04:39:33  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'd probably say yes, since they are elves first and foremost (still have the elf sub-type). Drow have their own racial weapon preferences, but they also have the elven weapon proficiencies in their ancestral traditions, long before they retreated to the Underdark. I would expect them to retain much of the training and fighting techniques for those weapons, even if they are not commonly used. Remember, drow fighting academies expect them to become familiar with nearly ALL weapons, and elven ones would be no exception!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  05:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Diffan and Alystra. I appreciate someone else's take on them, and what they get or don't get. The elf subtype threw me off. By the way, do duergar in Pathfinder get bonuses to stealth? It's not listed in their block for making a character... but it does say racial modifier for stealth checks. A player of mine asked, since he thought about making a duergar character.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  05:19:31  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Actually, I'd probably say yes, since they are elves first and foremost (still have the elf sub-type). Drow have their own racial weapon preferences, but they also have the elven weapon proficiencies in their ancestral traditions, long before they retreated to the Underdark. I would expect them to retain much of the training and fighting techniques for those weapons, even if they are not commonly used. Remember, drow fighting academies expect them to become familiar with nearly ALL weapons, and elven ones would be no exception!

Joran asked if Drow were automatically proficient with them, hence why I still say no. Sure, I think they could treat them as martial weapons (and as such, fighters and the like could use them with no problems) but not other non-martial proficient classes such as the wizard, rogue, or cleric. They would still have to take Weapon Proficiency (or multiclass into a class that has proficiency with all martial weapons) for them to use it. This isn't like the shortsword, rapier, and hand-cross bow with which all drow are expected to have some knowledge of using.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  01:24:16  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question about Pathfinder drow, please. This just came up in my game. Do drow get this? "An elf gets a +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft checks to identify the properties of magic items." That's from the Pathfinder Reference Document. Thank you for your advice and insights, my friends!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  02:35:37  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it was asked, his previous question was "since they have the elf sub-type", That's why I said yes. It may not say so in the rules, but that would be a DM ruling decision. In my games. I would certainly allow it- especially if they wanted to take the standard elven weapon proficiencies instead of the "drow" ones. Either one would be acceptable, IMO. By a strict reading of the rules, perhaps not, but there is no prohibition against it, so why not?

As for your second question, Joran, if it's another "elf sub-type" matter, then just rule it as with any elf. If there is no specific rule stating otherwise in the drow description, then I'd say yes. If there is one, then no- though there's nothing to stop you from changing the rule if you wish!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  03:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Alystra. Traditionally, I'm not at all a fan of house rules or anything. A few are all right, such as rolling methods or what have you, but some things I can't stand. Even walked out of a game once where the DM decided to redesign classes as he saw fit, and create new ones. This is one of those I'll have to think about, and look more into online to see if someone else has read more Pathfinder material than I have when it comes to situations such as this.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  03:51:36  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome, Joran! :)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  04:43:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really sure if you know (or if I mentioned it earlier) but Paizo has the Pathfinder SRD in case you don't have the rule-books on hand. It's a really good site and a main reason I've been able to play both 4E and Pathfinder on a limited budget.

As for the question, I believe that Drow have the Elf subtype for all things rules related to elves.

Going back to the earlier discussion with the Elven Weapon proficiencies, of course it's all up to the DM to decide what's allowed and what isn't. The elven weapons from Races of the Wild haven't been converted to Pathfinder as far as I know. But even going from a v3.5 perspective, there was a feat that allowed a specific race (elves and dwarves mostly) the ability to treat all racial-specific weapons as Martial weapons instead of Exotic, thus not requiring them to spend a feat on it. This was so Elves could benefit from two distinct "elven-style" weapons such as the Courtblade, Thinblade, and Lightblade without 3 different feats. Now Pathfinder allows all races the ability to treat racial weapons as Martial for all intent and purposes, thus eliminating the feat. Drow could make use of them, but they would still need to be proficient with Martial weapons to begin with to make use of them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000