Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stupid question time...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  01:55:13  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I'd like to know is wh does Mystra have so many chosen?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  02:00:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To hold her power.

Mystra isn't allowed to go beyond DvR 30 (IIRC), so she must store a single DvR in each chosen, and in other places, like Azuth and the Magister. Her Chosen quite literally become her 'mortal avatars'.

Otherwise she would break the 'cosmic balance', and be more powerful then Ao, which can't be allowed - there are gods above the deities we know, and they sit, watching...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  02:08:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tradwitch1313

What I'd like to know is wh does Mystra have so many chosen?

I don't believe there is any one reason.

It could simply be the result of the greater mysteries inherent in her portfolio, that require the service of these Chosen.

Ultimately, though, as Markus noted above, and as we saw in the Shadow of the Avatar books and elsewhere, Mystra's Chosen retain part of her divine power, which is the silver fire [see e.g. The Seven Sisters pg. 6], upon her death, so that Mystra/the Weave can be reconstructed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  02:36:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was often hinted in circa-2E canon that the first Mystra secreted away fragments of her divine power. A logical place to cache divine power would be in living believers (the very font of divine essence and sustenance) ... so I assume her unaging Chosen (and perhaps her Magisters) were meant to serve in this capacity. It was clearly stated that the avatar of Mystra reclaimed some measure of her power during the ToT from one of her (unspecified) receptacles before challenging Helm.

My further assumption is that this unusual behaviour (for a pre-ToT Faerûnian deity) might indicate Mystra had some sort of foreknowledge or uncertainty about her future, she may have even seen elements of the ToT in her divinations. Or she was perhaps simply determined to never allow the Weave to fail catastrophically the way it did when her predecessor, Mystryl, was momentarily weakened.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  04:17:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

It was often hinted in circa-2E canon that the first Mystra secreted away fragments of her divine power. A logical place to cache divine power would be in living believers (the very font of divine essence and sustenance) ... so I assume her unaging Chosen (and perhaps her Magisters) were meant to serve in this capacity. It was clearly stated that the avatar of Mystra reclaimed some measure of her power during the ToT from one of her (unspecified) receptacles before challenging Helm.

It's logical, but I am of the opinion that there is at least one non-living (or perhaps, formerly living) receptacle of Mystra's power. I could be mistaken... But so far as I know, it's never been explained why Azuth spent the ToT guarding a statue. (See here.) Perhaps the statue is a willingly petrified Chosen or Magister? Perhaps a petrified avatar of Mystra? Maybe the petrified remains of the girl who became Mystra 1.0? Perhaps just a statue, but invested with some of her power?

It's an intriguing bit of Realmslore that hasn't gathered much attention... I could be way off-base, but there's certainly something unrevealed about that statue.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  04:31:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It's logical, but I am of the opinion that there is at least one non-living (or perhaps, formerly living) receptacle of Mystra's power. I could be mistaken... But so far as I know, it's never been explained why Azuth spent the ToT guarding a statue. (See here.) Perhaps the statue is a willingly petrified Chosen or Magister? Perhaps a petrified avatar of Mystra? Maybe the petrified remains of the girl who became Mystra 1.0? Perhaps just a statue, but invested with some of her power?
I find any and all of those options particularly interesting. And they demand further expansion... when I have the time.

I'd offer a few more possibilities:- the statue marks the spot of some momentous event in the history of the mortal girl who became Mystra? [Maybe the location where she was first raised?] Or perhaps it stamps the place of truly significant power between the land and the Weave? [An important consideration when talking about the earthly storage of her power.] Perhaps those first two options could be combined? Alternatively, the statue may hold some enchantment or arcane secret about Mystra that acts as a kind of "in case of fire, break glass" scenario -- for example, "in case of Weave collapse, shatter statue."

Each of these possibilities, of course, sees the investment of some of Mystra's divine power inside.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Mar 2011 04:32:03
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  05:19:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd never heard of that mysterious statue before. Has anyone asked Ed about it?

Azuth himself could serve as a receptacle for some of Mystra's power. Although he was once mortal, the source of his divinity was Mystra so I consider him an "aspect" (ie: she transferred part of her divine power and portfolio to him).

I suppose that mortals, like any other thing in the universe, have maximum limits on how much divine power their forms can hold. In game terms, the divine storage capacity of characters might be a function of their level (just as with priests); of course Mystra's Chosen would also have to be magic users to be properly "attuned" to her needs ... perhaps Sammaster is an example of what can happen to a fragile mortal mind which is exposed to godshatter.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  05:36:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd never heard of that mysterious statue before. Has anyone asked Ed about it?
Not that I can recall. But I'm assuming this might be a Time of Troubles-tidbit, so Ed may not be the right person to ask.
quote:

Azuth himself could serve as a receptacle for some of Mystra's power. Although he was once mortal, the source of his divinity was Mystra so I consider him an "aspect" (ie: she transferred part of her divine power and portfolio to him).
That's actually on the mark, as I recall. Parts of what Mystra is reside in Elminster and Azuth, from which a whole Mystra can be regenerated.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  07:14:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Azuth: The Lord of Spells spent much of his time caring for part of Mystra's power and guarding a statue of her at the Pool of Yeven in Battledale.

The statue seems to hold some of Mystra's Power...but may only be a special magical creation of Yeven...

The only thing I found about it was:

"...Yeven’s staff rises from the pool, marking a statue of Mystra that has been submerged in the water. Then the following happens:

Midnight stretches out a hand to the statue. Tentatively, almost reverently, she reaches out her fingers to touch its star “face.”

There is a sudden blaze of blue-white fire about Midnight.s fingers. Her hair stirs about her shoulders, and she laughs with delight. “A kind gift indeed, Yeven!” she says to the empty air about. “My thanks!”

“Midnight seems invigorated and possessed of new power. She has actually been healed of all current physical damage, and has had spells magically restored to her mind, ready to cast anew. She has also instantly and permanently gained an experience level, earning new spell ability and 4 additional hit points. She will not speak of this to any of her companions.”

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  11:46:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was that in?

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  12:53:35  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What was that in?

Sounds like it came from the Shadowdale module.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  19:45:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually it's the Tantras one, pg.12

Interesting... perhaps the remains of her last mortal incarnation? Obviously a place where some of her power was stored.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  03:58:51  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

What was that in?

Sounds like it came from the Shadowdale module.

MT has the right of it...it is in the Tantras Module.

I remembered it from when I played in the module some years ago...I have to say it was one of the worst modules I'd ever played in though.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  17:08:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So. Been playing through Dragon Age 2 for a couple days, and it's got me thinking. Has there ever been a fairly large scale movement/organization in Faerun that's tried to control/corral arcane magic users, trying to bind them to the will of the state, a church, or the people in general, in a manner similar to the dragon age templars?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  02:58:04  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder about this every time I look at it...

Active Users Record: 363 | Record Set On: 14 Jul 2008 at 13:17:35

That's a lot of Scribes! Must've been a hectic night. Did something noteworthy happen on this date?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 15 Mar 2011 03:01:06
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  03:12:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The three core rulebooks for 4E were released in June 2008. I suspect a lot of scribes were flaming and arguing vehemently during the subsequent weeks, though that's just speculation on my part.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  03:35:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Non-FR question: What 3e/OGL system allowed you play epic characters? I mean, the setting was designed for it, right out of the box?

I may have my facts wrong - I only remember having a slight interest in it, and reading a little bit about it, but I have never had any of the books or played in it, or knew anyone who had. All I remember is that it had a cool-sounding name.

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

So. Been playing through Dragon Age 2 for a couple days, and it's got me thinking. Has there ever been a fairly large scale movement/organization in Faerun that's tried to control/corral arcane magic users, trying to bind them to the will of the state, a church, or the people in general, in a manner similar to the dragon age templars?
Mystra's church (and her Chosen) actively work AGAINST such behavior.

Both Thay and Halruaa kept track of their magic usrs, and I suppose Nibral may have as well (being related to the Halruans). Cormyr's Warwizards also made no small effort to keep tabs on all of the 'freelance' Mages within it's borders (and the surrounding areas as well).

But as 'control over'... that hasn't really happened since Athalantar, and even there, the mages rested power away from the true King anyway.

Even in the mighty Shou-Lung empire (were non-state sanctioned mages are illegal), they have failed miserably at keeping unofficial Wujen under any sort of control.

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Mar 2011 03:36:08
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  03:40:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Mystra automatically tracked every magic using creature in the Realms, right down to a genetic/bloodline level?

Certainly her Chosen keep tabs on mages of interest, though they don't bother maintaining any sort of "registry". Cormyr's Warwizards generally ignore spellcasters of less than 5th level.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  20:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't laugh (too loud) here are a couple... Is there a (temporary) spell that a cleric may cast to over a specific area - a camp, for example - to provide protection to its inhabitants? 'Hallow' seems a little OTT for the job. Would 'Glyph of Warding' be suitable?

Also, is there a spell that grants someone on guard duty wakefulness, or would one be more likely to use a potion or enchanted item for that effect?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate

Edited by - Lily M Green on 25 Apr 2011 20:32:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  21:25:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green

Also, is there a spell that grants someone on guard duty wakefulness, or would one be more likely to use a potion or enchanted item for that effect?

Coffee.

Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  21:44:01  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green

Coffee.

Well, as they say, ask a stupid question...

P'raps I should have been a teeny bit more specific... Obviously I get that there's the standard list (not limited to the realms) & I'm looking at anything up to & including 3.5e but I did wonder if there might be other deity specific spells; in this case Helm, given his portfolio of protection and counting guards among his faithful. Or of course if I'd missed something glaringly obvious. (More than likely).

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  03:10:03  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember a spell in 2nd ed for that sort of thing, but I can't recall the name, nor whether it ever made it into later editions. It was in the Wizards' Spell Compendium, IIRC.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  06:15:16  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Mystra had made a Christmas, would she use Elminster in place of Santa?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  06:36:44  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, but El and Santa are good friends, I hear, lol! There was once a stat-block for him in an old Dragon article, as I recall.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  06:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I admit El is a little skinny to impersonate Santa, but seeing how good he is at disguise and teleporting, he really could do his job. And he can easily fit through the chimney without magic.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  13:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I seem to remember a spell in 2nd ed for that sort of thing, but I can't recall the name, nor whether it ever made it into later editions. It was in the Wizards' Spell Compendium, IIRC.

Thanks I shall try there. The references I've been looking at most recently are 3.5e (Complete arcane, complete divine and the d20 reference) but I've read so much of late I've confused myself. (Not difficult).

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  14:00:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Body Clock (Alteration)
Sphere: Time
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 hour/level
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: One creature
Saving Throw: None

Body clock affects a subject in the following ways.
• The subject's need for sleep is reduced. For every hour that a subject sleeps, he is as refreshed as if he slept 10 hours. For every two hours that a subject sleeps during the spell (20 hours of rest), he regains hit points as if he spent a day of complete rest. However, wizards are not able to memorize spells; "real" time must pass for this to occur.

• The subject's need to breathe is reduced. He breathes only 10% as often as normal for the duration of the spell, enabling him to hold his breath 10 times longer than normal and use less air in enclosed situations.
• The subject can set an internal "alarm clock" to alert him when a specific amount of time has passed. The subject then hears a brief ringing in his ears, audible only to him. The ringing is loud enough to wake the subject. He can set as many internal alarm clocks as he wishes, as long as they all occur within the duration of the spell.

The spell has no effect on movement, spellcasting, or any other normal activities.
The material components are a kernel of corn, a drop of water, and a stoppered glass bottle.

"

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2011 :  13:22:35  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, that should do the trick :)!

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2011 :  06:18:28  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not the one I was thinking of, but that works.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  20:46:58  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah Ha! The very fella! I knew hadn't dreamt it. Although that spell would most certainly work, what I was looking for was 'Sentry of Helm'

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000