Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Zoomify-enabled map is ready
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  03:14:24  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
but his work would be DDI'd which means everyone would have to get a subscription just to get it.
Unless WOTC would be nice and let it slip for free

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  04:00:34  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A map this size, with the vast amount of lore associated with it, would certainly be a barrier to entry for new players. As such, it would certainly be deleterious to the 4e model.

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  04:29:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know Markustay was talking about eventually doing a 4E Map. I know he did one on Returned Abeir.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  08:36:31  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

but his work would be DDI'd which means everyone would have to get a subscription just to get it.
Unless WOTC would be nice and let it slip for free

That would be nice, true. I would recommend subscribing and downloading all the goodies anyway, personally; I was extremely dubious of the whole thing initially but it has so far turned out to be quite a good deal).

Enough of my off topic-ness!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  16:45:20  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I know Markustay was talking about eventually doing a 4E Map. I know he did one on Returned Abeir.

He also made an alternative placement map for Returned Abeir. That's what I use in my Realms. I don't like Maztica very much but it survived the Spellplague "unharmed" (I haven't decided yet what to do with it) in my 4e campaign
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  17:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

quote:

He also made an alternative placement map for Returned Abeir. That's what I use in my Realms. I don't like Maztica very much but it survived the Spellplague "unharmed" (I haven't decided yet what to do with it) in my 4e campaign

Dragonborn invasion!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  19:14:52  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

For 4e I'd keep an eye on Mark Schley's work (the guy that did the recent Dungeon mag realms maps). No sign of a full continent map yet, of course, but the steady feed of regional ones should keep the spellscarred among up happy. ;)

Is he the one who did the map of Cormyr back in the early (free) days of DDI and the more recent map of Vaasa? Apart from those, I haven't seen any of said maps, as I don't have a DDI subscription. Between those maps, Ed's writing, and the Brothers James (in particular a certain adventure whose title escapes me ATM), my resolve against DDI is weakening...

Rob: How goes the map?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  19:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Schley is indeed the cartographer of the Cormyr and Vaasa maps, he also did Chessenta and part of the Moonshaes. I'd say either peer over the shoulder of someone who already has a DDI sub, or go in for just a month to download everything and see what you think of it, it shouldn't be too expensive.

Anyway!

Yes what news on Handsome's handsome work?

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  04:18:24  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mythal cities update...

Rob, the only ones I have not managed to locate on your maps are:
Myth Unnohyr (former Keltormir; suspect Forest of Mir somewhere);
Myth Ondath (keep an eye on this scroll for a possible location);
Myth Adofaer/Adofhaor (somewhere in the High Forest; currently time-shifted out of phase with Toril);
Myth Iliscar (Lantan; Lantan's not a big place, but if any scribe has a more precise location for this one, please let us know...);
Myth Nantar (Sea of Fallen Stars; Rob, the only part of the SoFS we're missing in the maps you've given us is the coast of Impiltur, and I'm pretty sure Myth Nantar was more centrally located; do any other scribes have a more precise location for this mythal?);

Can anyone think of any others?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 12 May 2010 04:19:33
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  09:14:47  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nantar is between Alaghon and Altumbel, there was a map MT's done with all underwater sites, seems gone now.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  13:27:16  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Concerning the Sword Coast North:
Possible Errors:
  • I think you either have Mts Sar and Helimbrar transposed, or your Mt Sar is where Mt Araddyn is supposed to be. Travelling north on the High Road from Waterdeep, it is Mt Sar, then Helimbrar and then Araddyn that one encounters. (Web Enhancement: City of Splendors: Waterdeep -- Environs of Waterdeep)

• Redcliffs are the cliffs immediately north-west of Waterdeep, due east of your position for Alsapir's Rock. (Web Enhancement: City of Splendors: Waterdeep -- Environs of Waterdeep)

• Conyberry should be further south (in the more southern east-encroaching part of Neverwinter Wood; one should be able to almost draw a straight line from Old Owl Well to Thundertree through Conyberry). (The North and/or VGttN)

• Berun's Hill should be quite a bit more north-east (in those same hills, but midway between your current position for it and Longsaddle; almost on the same lattitute as Port Llast). (The North and/or VGttN)

• Missing Locales:
  • Agatha's Grove and Helm's Hold. (The North and/or VGttN)

• Frost Keep. (ditto if memory serves)

• Dolblunde, Mt Araddyn, Hall of Reflected Moonlight, and Thornhold. (Web Enhancement: City of Splendors: Waterdeep -- Environs of Waterdeep)

• Possibly (depending on the detail you actually map) Bryndraeth, Nasaqh and Agrivar Estates. (Web Enhancement: City of Splendors: Waterdeep -- Environs of Waterdeep)

• Mts Ardabad, Galardrym, Pheldaer and Stemhelm. (Wyrms of the North: Palarandusk, "The Unseen Protector")

• Apart from that, all I can say is "Wow!"

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
    Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
    Learned Scribe

Brazil
    146 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  15:39:08  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    A LOT OF VERY COOL!

Ingo Djan
    DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
    "I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
    Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
    Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  15:51:55  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kyrene

Concerning the Sword Coast North:
    * snip *

Thanks for that Kyrene... I've added all of it to my edits list. I do have the Waterdeep web enhancement, but when reviewing it I omitted quite a few locations because I thought I didn't have enough room for them. I'll take another look and see if there's anything else I can jam in. Also, the geography of that region seems to have changed quite a bit between the 1st/2nd edition era and the 3rd edition era. Particularly some of the villages north of Waterdeep seem to have moved around significantly.

Another piece to the puzzle I guess.

-Rob

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  17:02:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jakk

Myth Iliscar (Lantan; Lantan's not a big place, but if any scribe has a more precise location for this one, please let us know...);
    I might actually have something for you on this... and about as close-to-official as we're likely to see, now.

Just give me some time to sift through my notes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
    Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
    Great Reader

USA
    3286 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  23:08:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I might actually have something for you on this... and about as close-to-official as we're likely to see, now.

This should take awhile, so go to the bathroom, go to work, have a baby folks we will be here for a bit...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  00:59:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

quote:

quote:

This should take awhile, so go to the bathroom, go to work, have a baby folks we will be here for a bit...

Not only that... but it still has to be "finished."

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
    Great Reader

Canada
    2165 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  02:30:41  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    On a related note, I've been searching for lore regarding Myth Unnohyr, and apart from a paragraph in the Lands of Intrigue boxed set (Tethyr, p54) that describes it as being "in the Forest of Mir", all I can find are references that seem to involve Neverwinter Nights; I haven't played FR computer games since the Eye of the Beholder trilogy and the six original Gold Box games (including the two Savage Frontier games). There really should have been a Lands of Intrigue hardcover for 3E... *sigh*

I'll toss this one Ed's way and see if he can give us more details...

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
    Great Reader

USA
    3286 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  03:05:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not only that... but it still has to be "finished."

Alaundo of Candlekeep
    Go to Top of Page

Jakk
    Great Reader

Canada
    2165 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  19:59:18  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Myth Iliscar, Myth Ondath, and Myth Unnohyr have been sent along as location queries to Ed; I'm guessing NDAs will still be a problem in two of the three, but I know I've seen enough info on Myth Ondath to figure out a precise location, but I don't recall where I saw that lore now.

Hopefully The Sage can come through with something on Myth Iliscar for us... How much work still needs to be done on that, Sage?

Edited by - Jakk on 14 May 2010 20:00:31
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  01:02:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Hopefully The Sage can come through with something on Myth Iliscar for us... How much work still needs to be done on that, Sage?
    Not much. Just some brief fact-checking and a translation from my own personal short-hand.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
    Great Reader

Canada
    2165 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  08:02:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Another question for you, Sage, for purposes of Rob's map... how much canon lore is out there on the physical geography of Osse, Myrmidune, and the other smaller lands both in the Great Sea and north of Anchorome?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  08:20:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Another question for you, Sage, for purposes of Rob's map... how much canon lore is out there on the physical geography of Osse, Myrmidune, and the other smaller lands both in the Great Sea and north of Anchorome?

Osse:- All we know about the land itself has been revealed in the Lady of Poison novel -- part of "The Priests" series. Aside from a few obvious examples in the book, I usually don't agree with many who say that Osse is a direct translation of, or heavily influenced by, Australian Aborigine culture. Gunggari's mannerisms aside [as well as his dizheri], it could be said that the supposed "ways" of the Osse people could very well be associated with many other examples of Polynesian tribal cultures. I always thought the actual name "Osse" was a bit of a joke as a matter of fact...

If the translation works for you, however, then determining the geography of the region shouldn't be all that difficult.

Myrmidune:- There isn't much, beside what's in the fourth Volume of the Candlekeep Compendium.

Other smaller lands in both the Great Sea and north of Anchôromé:- You might actually have more luck asking Brian James, as he's had some brief thoughts on this himself.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
    Great Reader

Canada
    2165 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  23:44:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Sage, I agree with you regarding the name... and I was quite intrigued by the three different geographies I've seen for the land (one by our scribe Patrakis, the others by unknown cartographers; a quick Google Images search of "Toril map" will find both of them, one of which looks like a composite satellite photo and is both very realistic and quite similar to Patrakis' efforts). I'd love to see Rob use one or another of them and at least fill in the last bits of physical geography on his Toril map; I wouldn't complain at all if he left it unnamed...

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
    Great Reader

Canada
    2165 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  09:32:22  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    So... I went looking for this scroll, only to find it back on shelf 3 of the "General Chat" library already... I've been pleasantly surprised at all the activity in the 'Keep lately. I'm updating this scroll mostly for the link to Rob's Zoomify-enabled Toril map; its topic of discussion kind of segued into its own scroll ("Project Isle").

Edit: But since I'm here now... Sage... any progress on the quest for Myth Iliscar?

Edited by - Jakk on 26 May 2010 09:34:35
    Go to Top of Page

Jakk
    Great Reader

Canada
    2165 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  16:57:30  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

<snip>... a quick Google Images search of "Toril map" will find both of them, one of which looks like a composite satellite photo and is both very realistic and quite similar to Patrakis' efforts...<snip>

The similarity between those has been explained; we learned from Patrakis in the "Project Isle" scroll that his physical geography for Osse came from the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas CD-ROM... evidently, that was the same source used by our unknown cartographer.

Anyway, it's once again time for me to think like a Medium-sized Humanoid(Insectoid)... updates to Project Isle coming from me soon...

Edited by - Jakk on 26 May 2010 16:58:35
    Go to Top of Page

Jakk
    Great Reader

Canada
    2165 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  08:48:05  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    So... I was perusing the Zoomify map after sending my completed "Thri-kreen of Osse" draft off to Rob... and it struck me just how "rectangular" the Zakhara archipelago is...

Is it supposed to be that way? I mean, it doesn't look natural to me now...

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
    Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
    565 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  08:59:05  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    The only maps of Zakhara I've seen are HandsomeRob's and MarkusTay's, and they're both fairly square (the maps, that is; the mappers are dead cool). The global map in the 3e FRCS shows it as more of a fan than a block, which personally I prefer.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
    Great Reader

Canada
    2165 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  09:01:50  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I've noticed that in MT's map too, now that I've looked. Weird...

Anyway... Rob: One more typo for you to fix: In northern Narfell: "Hawk's Finger" should be "Hark's Finger". That's all. It's 1AM where I am, which means it's time for me to sleep. G'night.

Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
    Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  14:33:56  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

So... I was perusing the Zoomify map after sending my completed "Thri-kreen of Osse" draft off to Rob... and it struck me just how "rectangular" the Zakhara archipelago is...

Is it supposed to be that way? I mean, it doesn't look natural to me now...

I know, it's brutally ugly. I think the designers decided they needed to fill up the rectangular map with islands - it looks nice on the map that came with Al-Qadim, but when you expand it to a world map it looks terrible.

-Rob

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com
    Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
    Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
    565 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  16:29:47  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    You could just fan them out a bit as they extend to the south, and stagger north some of the Farahsahad islands

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000