Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Zoomify-enabled map is ready
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  18:16:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that... but instead of spreading out the existing islands, I would add new islands... unless that was what you meant, Cleric.

On a related note: Rob: You mentioned a while back that you were re-doing your Zakhara map; I'm guessing that's done, as you say you map faster than you write, and your Lake Panthala description came along faster than my thri-kreen realm did.

I'll have to check out the Zoomify map again and see what can be done there...

Edit: Hrm... even the coastline of that little southwesternmost peninsula looks artificially straight relative to the continent... but I think that adding a few more islands to the southwest and southeast of the mainland would fix that up... maybe use the FRCS Toril map as a guideline for shape... spreading out the existing islands would work too, but I think it's probably better to assume the existence of other islands outside the boundaries of the aforementioned rectangular map... even if they're not "canon"... and you can tell how seriously I take that word now just from the quotes.

Anyway, I'll leave it to your discretion, Rob; it all looks beautiful at this point, and (as you've said before) with a file this size, there's no point in updating it until it's complete and corrected. I think we're doing a pretty good job finding the necessary corrections for you; hopefully that hasn't been overwhelming. I'm hoping to hear back from Ed (or someone else) soon regarding the missing mythals, and I'm just scanning the map for other things that jump out at me until then... when I'm not working on Project Isle, of course. I think the sahuagin are next on my list...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 27 May 2010 18:26:31
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  21:38:11  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

On a related note: Rob: You mentioned a while back that you were re-doing your Zakhara map; I'm guessing that's done

Did I? That's weird. There are a few things that were added to Zakhara for the zoomable Toril map, but I don't have a 2nd version of Zakhara in the works.

quote:
Anyway, I'll leave it to your discretion, Rob; it all looks beautiful at this point, and (as you've said before) with a file this size, there's no point in updating it until it's complete and corrected. I think we're doing a pretty good job finding the necessary corrections for you; hopefully that hasn't been overwhelming. I'm hoping to hear back from Ed (or someone else) soon regarding the missing mythals, and I'm just scanning the map for other things that jump out at me until then... when I'm not working on Project Isle, of course. I think the sahuagin are next on my list...

That's right - I've got a good long list of changes to make for the new version, but I'm hoping to put off the work for a while yet. Once the comments die down a bit, I'll probably wait a few more weeks and then start the revision.

-Rob

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  22:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like that... but instead of spreading out the existing islands, I would add new islands... unless that was what you meant, Cleric.

New islands would be good, but yeah, I was referring to fiddling the existing islands more than adding new ones. I've fiddled the map a bit to demonstrate what I mean. Also shifted Anchorome and added Laerakond.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5878/torilbw.jpg

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  22:27:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HandsomeRob

quote:

On a related note: Rob: You mentioned a while back that you were re-doing your Zakhara map; I'm guessing that's done

Did I? That's weird. There are a few things that were added to Zakhara for the zoomable Toril map, but I don't have a 2nd version of Zakhara in the works.

<chop>

I might be misremembering... you'd said something about updating it, anyway, so maybe it was just the additions you mentioned here. Can you re-post the tweaked Zakhara for our viewing pleasure? I'm quite happy to have it without the border, title, key, etc... the bells and whistles are for the completed project in its entirety. Thanks!

Anyway, on that note, I'll post my other comments in the Project Isle scroll where they're on topic.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  03:50:32  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found another typo for you to fix for the "final" version, Rob... south of the Lake of Steam, on the west shore of Talagath's Gauntlet, is the port of Suldophor... it should be Suldolphor.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  05:28:42  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

quote:

New islands would be good, but yeah, I was referring to fiddling the existing islands more than adding new ones. I've fiddled the map a bit to demonstrate what I mean. Also shifted Anchorome and added Laerakond.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5878/torilbw.jpg

I missed this post... the fact that it showed up less than half a minute before my following post probably explains that...

Anyway, I love the tweaks to Anchorome and Zakhara, and the addition of Laerakond... instead of turning Anchorome, I would probably move the whole continent over to the west... but then Myrmidune would have to move as well, and there isn't *that* much room to the west without making Toril bigger... but that would certainly make the Spellplague (in whatever form you envision it) a "Realms-shaking event," wouldn't it?

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  05:31:03  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Myth Iliscar, Myth Ondath, and Myth Unnohyr have been sent along as location queries to Ed; I'm guessing NDAs will still be a problem in two of the three, but I know I've seen enough info on Myth Ondath to figure out a precise location, but I don't recall where I saw that lore now.

Hopefully The Sage can come through with something on Myth Iliscar for us... How much work still needs to be done on that, Sage?

There's an update to Myth Ondath from me in the "Map Sections" scroll... it went in there because it fit in with the post I was making there at the time.

Any word from The Sage on Myth Iliscar?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  05:35:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Myth Iliscar, Myth Ondath, and Myth Unnohyr have been sent along as location queries to Ed; I'm guessing NDAs will still be a problem in two of the three, but I know I've seen enough info on Myth Ondath to figure out a precise location, but I don't recall where I saw that lore now.

Hopefully The Sage can come through with something on Myth Iliscar for us... How much work still needs to be done on that, Sage?

There's an update to Myth Ondath from me in the "Map Sections" scroll... it went in there because it fit in with the post I was making there at the time.

Any word from The Sage on Myth Iliscar?

Aye. Still waiting on some tidbits from one of the published Lorelords of the Realms. Most of my writing hinges on that bit, so I can't move forward until I have it. Sorry.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  12:15:50  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simply wonderful, the map I mean, I'm speechless! Bravo, Rob!
The legacy of FR interactive Atlas is taking form.
There is one thing I stumbled upon while flying around above your atlas looking down: Molina's Keep. I can find no lore about it anywhere and am thus very intrigued.
So if there is any sage who'd like to enlighten me and tell me about this mysterious keep (my players are in the region so I thought it might make a nice surprise) I'd be honored.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  03:56:20  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You did, it was because you found a map in an issue of Dragon Magazine stating you had to include the Land of the Yakmen into Zhakara. It looks like you already did it, though?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  02:55:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What happened to the map?

The link in the first post no longer works.
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

There is one thing I stumbled upon while flying around above your atlas looking down: Molina's Keep. I can find no lore about it anywhere and am thus very intrigued.
Location?

If its on one of mine as well I should have something on it, or can find it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jun 2010 03:08:56
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  03:23:12  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What happened to the map?

The link in the first post no longer works.
<snip>

And we haven't heard from HandsomeRob around here lately either... regarding Project Isle or anything else.

Edit: Added link.

Edited by - Jakk on 20 Jun 2010 03:26:12
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  04:51:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I wanted to grab his version of Anchorome before doing my own thing (if we can't keep in-sync with each other here, then where?)

Ah, well... I hope whatever is going on with Rob he's okay.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jun 2010 04:51:44
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  14:57:17  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I wanted to grab his version of Anchorome before doing my own thing (if we can't keep in-sync with each other here, then where?)

Don't worry, I'm fine. Off spending some time with my family.

Apparently the site I uploaded the zoomify-enabled map to is gone. I think now is as good a time as any to start working through the edits and changes that have been suggested, and when that is done I will try to find a new site to upload it to.

-Rob

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  17:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do you guys team up on map making a lot? I'd like to see some massive project done by you two. That would be be pretty sweet!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  19:16:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't worry, I'm fine. Off spending some time with my family.

Apparently the site I uploaded the zoomify-enabled map to is gone. I think now is as good a time as any to start working through the edits and changes that have been suggested, and when that is done I will try to find a new site to upload it to.

Glad your absence is a 'positive' - enjoy your quality time.

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Do you guys team up on map making a lot? I'd like to see some massive project done by you two. That would be be pretty sweet!

'team-up'? Not really...

When I began to do areas outside of the 'greater Faerűn' (which includes Kara-Tur and the Zakharan sub-continent), I used Patrakis' maps as a guide - its always good to see what others have done. On his own project I had given him a link to an earlier Anchorome map someone had done for a reference (we don't want a hundred different versions of the same things floating around The Net, adding to all the confusion).

When H-Rob joined in the fun, he used what I had done and built upon it (once again, in order to keep all versions of Toril's maps 'synced-up'), which is great. Now I will turn-around and do the same with areas he detailed that I hadn't.

Homebrew versions of Toril/Faerűn are fine - I've seen plenty of those floating around, and have created a couple myself. But when making maps to be used by the greater community, it is a really good thing to keep the geography in-alignment, even when some of it is non-canon (like Anchorome and Osse). What other folks do with those other continents - which includes replacing them wholesale - is their business, but geographical continuity is key for fantasy cartographers like myself, Rob, and Patrakis.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jun 2010 19:18:11
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  22:43:05  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How is this coming along by any chance?
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  20:10:34  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think now is as good a time as any to start working through the edits and changes that have been suggested, and when that is done I will try to find a new site to upload it to.

Let us know how this is going whenever you get the chance Rob. I need my zoomified FR map fix!
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  18:02:57  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

quote:
I think now is as good a time as any to start working through the edits and changes that have been suggested, and when that is done I will try to find a new site to upload it to.

Let us know how this is going whenever you get the chance Rob. I need my zoomified FR map fix!

Agreed! I'm getting the shakes from withdrawl syndrome!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  01:12:42  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Offline!!

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  20:05:33  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi all,
I've recently posted a few snippets of my Toril map. I'm happy to announce that the Zoomify-enabled, version 1.0 of the map is now ready to be viewed at:

http://handsomerob.byethost33.com/Map.html

I invite you all to have a look - you can zoom in on any region that you'd like to see, and please know that I am accepting edits! If you notice anything missing or incorrect, please let me know and I will try to get it corrected for the next version.

I will be adding a scale bar and map legend to the site soon as well - I'll let you know when they are ready.

Thanks, and enjoy!

-Rob

These are some truly beautiful maps.

The link is broken currently.

BTW are you working on a Google Earth version of these?

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  20:10:31  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi all,
I've recently posted a few snippets of my Toril map. I'm happy to announce that the Zoomify-enabled, version 1.0 of the map is now ready to be viewed at:

http://handsomerob.byethost33.com/Map.html

I invite you all to have a look - you can zoom in on any region that you'd like to see, and please know that I am accepting edits! If you notice anything missing or incorrect, please let me know and I will try to get it corrected for the next version.

I will be adding a scale bar and map legend to the site soon as well - I'll let you know when they are ready.

Thanks, and enjoy!

-Rob

Are you working on any maps from previous ages?

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  03:58:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anybody post a working link for this (apparently) excellent map? The OP link leads nowhere.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 28 Nov 2010 03:58:44
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  04:05:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was taken down...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  10:02:37  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh thats a shame. I spent hours hovering over this map. I really enjoyed it and i sincerely hope Rob or someone else will get a chance to get it back up again.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  22:20:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bump!

Any news Rob?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  05:23:45  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dropbox might be a perfect place to host the file once its done =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  17:55:52  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:Originally posted by Duneth Despana

Location?

If its on one of mine as well I should have something on it, or can find it.

Sorry for the late reply, Molina's Keep is in Khedrun's Vale , and I'm still very intrigued by it.

quote:

Although I think Rob has already posted this on another scroll:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2118/anchorome.jpg
Here's his Anchorome map if you still need it.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 04 May 2011 17:56:51
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  02:26:13  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really, really, really want the 1.2 GB or 700 MB downloadable versions of this map. I haven't seen it yet, but the snippets I've seen have been wonderful.

Oh, HandsomeRob or any other power that is listening, hear my prayer!

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Enthusior
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  12:22:14  Show Profile  Visit Enthusior's Homepage Send Enthusior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, please!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000