Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Zoomify-enabled map is ready
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  17:45:46  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rob, hope you dont mind critical feedback, but i noticed an anomaly in the Chult area, there are 3 "Thindol"s very close together, 2 overlapping.
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  17:52:27  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rob, you handsome devil, you. I have been wanting one of these ever since MarcusTay posted his teaser on DeviantArt. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

As for permanent hosting, have you considered using the Google Map API? I've never personally looked too much into the back end of it, but the interface is truly wonderful (the UESPWiki is a wonderful example of Google Maps done right)

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  23:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'd almost say that you should make international bounderies even easier to spot, maybe with a solid line instead of just 'bolding' the same 'morsecode'sque line you use as regional bounderies within each respective nation

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  02:25:42  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HandsomeRob

<chop>
For Katashaka, I've taken the maps from the Nyambe setting and warped them into the canon shape of the continent. I've seen the Nyambe material suggested for use for Katashaka in a number of places, so it seemed appropriate.
For Anchorome, it's a bit more of a stretch. There's a nice fan-made map at http://hiddenway.tripod.com/images/maps/ that I used for the topography, and the landcover information is my own. So Anchorome is completely non-canon.
<snip>
I saw that as well, but it didn't seem to jive with the whole Australia/Polynesian vibe that I think Osse is supposed to have. I would really like to see the Osse Project that (I think) MarkusTay started over at the Wizards site be completed. They had some pretty interesting ideas that I'd love to see incorporated.

quote:
Later edit: Here's what we know about the various mythal cities from the aforementioned article by Sage Schend (mythal cities that I found on your map are excluded):

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to get them in for the next version.

quote:
I'm unable to view it, my job has it blocked as the site is under the category: Phishing

Weird. I googled "free web hosting" to find that site, other than that I know nothing about it. Consider it a temporary situation.

I will look seriously into the issue of getting a single, downloadable jpg available, but it may take me a bit of fooling around; in the meantime, let's try to find all of the mistakes so that I don't have to go through the process more than once or twice. I just noticed that a lot of my capitol city stars were lost at some point - I'll need to restore them.

What do you guys think of the international boundaries? Should they be kept or ditched?

-Rob

I'm with capnvan on this one; the only Realms maps that have boundaries indicated in any of the published material are smaller in-book maps that don't do anything but show regional boundaries, and those are almost all very general and approximate boundaries. I like my Realms maps city- and landmark-specific and politically abstract, just as they've been since the Old Grey Box. That being said, I found that the borders as done in this map were unobtrusive enough that they didn't bother me; I'm just thinking that eliminating the "borders" layer might help make the map more portable...

Edit: Regarding Osse: I'm trying to move away from the whole concept of real-world analogues in my Realms. I was thinking, for my own purposes, of making the continent the homeland of the dragonborn. For that scenario, I'm a big fan of the geography presented in the linked-to source. Of course, if you're attempting to stay true to pre-4E geographical canon for what is known about these continents, I can appreciate that. [/edit]

Second Edit: After checking out the project on the Wizards boards, it does look interesting... make the decision you think best on this one, Rob. As far as Katashaka goes in my Realms, I have plans involving long-dormant gates and the spelljamming descendants of one of the ancient sarrukh empires... [/edit]

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Apr 2010 02:46:07
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  03:07:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I saw that as well, but it didn't seem to jive with the whole Australia/Polynesian vibe that I think Osse is supposed to have. I would really like to see the Osse Project that (I think) MarkusTay started over at the Wizards site be completed. They had some pretty interesting ideas that I'd love to see incorporated.
All we know about the land itself has been revealed in Lady of Poison. Aside from a few obvious examples in the book, I wouldn't say that Osse is a direct translation of, or heavily influenced by, Australian Aborigine culture -- Gunggari's mannerisms aside [as well as his dizheri], the supposed "ways" of the Osse people could very well be associated with many other examples of Polynesian tribal cultures.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Apr 2010 03:09:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  03:08:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Second Edit: After checking out the project on the Wizards boards, it does look interesting... make the decision you think best on this one, Rob. As far as Katashaka goes in my Realms, I have plans involving long-dormant gates and the spelljamming descendants of one of the ancient sarrukh empires... [/edit]
Be sure to keep my informed. I wouldn't mind hearing more about this, Jakk.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  11:59:14  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would a download of the JPG file be possible, Rob?

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  12:14:28  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's been discussed, and the file's just too big (as in several gigs), unfortunately.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  12:42:56  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's just lovely.

One minor correction, though - I think it's the Marsh of Chelimber, not Chelimbyr.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  12:59:54  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was noted previously too.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  15:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Rob for your wonderful thoughts again on the jpeg map (even if it has to be brokenup into smaller maps).

Anyhoo, from the notes I have from last year when I was setting up a Shackled City game in the Tashalar, I asked Ed about the region, and you may want to change the borders to reflect this (your call, it's your map), but here's part of what THO said on behalf of Ed:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

With that cleared up, let’s say “the Tashalar proper” includes Narubel, Procalith, Tashluta, and the southern coast of The Shining Sea between the mountains west of Narubel and the mountains just west of Sammaresh (the western boundary of Lapaliiya), south through the Tashan Gap to where cleared (farmed and ranched), rolling uplands end and unbroken jungle starts. (Jungle is often burned or logged or both to keep it from swiftly reclaiming cleared areas.)

This means your map is dead on except that the Tashalar would go all the way to Narubel.

Again, thank you for such a wonderful resource, I will reiterate this again. You did an outstanding job!

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."

Edited by - Darkmeer on 29 Apr 2010 15:14:47
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  15:20:43  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

I think that's been discussed, and the file's just too big (as in several gigs), unfortunately.

I thought just the raw Photoshop file is several gigabyte huge. To be honest, I cannot image that a JPG file is more than several MB big. That JPG file may still not be good to view over internet due the long loading time, but would be interesting to have on your computer, when no internet connection is available, like when I run my sessions or when preparing adventures in trains :-)

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  16:29:53  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sorry, no - it's a 1.2 GB Photoshop file and there's no way I can export it to jpg. Otherwise be sure that I would - I think this is the best possible option, and I apologize for the slowness of the site.

-Rob

From page 1.

Getting it out cut into bits would be awesome, as would landscape only versions!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  16:34:47  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pazuzu

quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

I thought just the raw Photoshop file is several gigabyte huge. To be honest, I cannot image that a JPG file is more than several MB big. That JPG file may still not be good to view over internet due the long loading time, but would be interesting to have on your computer, when no internet connection is available, like when I run my sessions or when preparing adventures in trains :-)

I hate to say this, but I have a 2gb map of the earth (physical only) on my computer. It's a JPEG and it's forever to load. However, it is wonderful to look at, when it loads properly So, yes, even at 72 dpi (my map is rougly 90dpi), they can get to that huge of a file, and I assume, given the details, that the map IS that big file size wise.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  17:57:51  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep the edits coming! I love that you guys are finding all my mistakes. Detailed notes are being compiled.

As far as getting you guys a file you can download: I have a 780 MB .tif file that might work. Unfortunately, I have no idea where I can get it hosted. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know and we'll work it out.

Thanks,
-Rob

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  18:04:58  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rapidshare springs to mind, but it's part of the Underdark of the Internet, and you may need a paid subscription to upload big stuff. Also something like bit torrent, but I don't know how to 'torrentise' a file and you'd have to be online for people to download...

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  23:03:50  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can make a torrent if I had the original file.

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  23:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As far as getting you guys a file you can download: I have a 780 MB .tif file that might work. Unfortunately, I have no idea where I can get it hosted. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know and we'll work it out.
I don't know if Google Docs has a file size limit or not.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  23:22:39  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*casts Banish Post Doppelgänger*

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 29 Apr 2010 23:25:19
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  23:23:50  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Google Docs:

'Stored files: Files that you store but don't convert to Google Docs can be up to 1 GB each.'

Not sure what that means, I'm not all that familiar with Google Docs...

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  23:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Google Docs is a wonderful way of going, but it requires sharing.

I might try setting up a google site. I've worked with images on my own google site for campaigns, I'm sure that it would be the best.

I'll ask tech support for Google, and one of my friends, since I have a google site.

/d

EDIT: Just checked

quote:
From google sites overview

Upload files and attachments
Use the file cabinet to upload files up to 10MB in size. Each Google Apps account receives at least 10GB of storage in Google Sites. Google Apps Premier and Education editions get an additional 500MB for each user account.

Edited by - Darkmeer on 29 Apr 2010 23:50:47
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  17:21:43  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The map is truly stunning Rob. Great job.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  15:31:28  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Julkoun and the Laughing Hollow are both missing.
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  16:54:18  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Filth

Could you kindly tell me where and what those two places are?

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  17:14:20  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Filth

Could you kindly tell me where and what those two places are?

-Rob

They're both on the river Delimbiyir; Laughing Hollow, a few miles north of Daggerford, is an abandoned dwarven quarry now inhabited by wild elves, hybsils and pixies, and Julkoun, about equidistant between Laughing Hollow and Secomber, is a hamlet of 40 homes or so, best detailed in "Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast".

ETA: Laughing Hollow is shown on the map in "The North" boxset.

While I have your attention, I've also noticed rather a lot of woodland between Eshpurta, in Amn, and the Troll Mountains; FR3 Empires of the Sands seems to indicate they're a lot closer than that.

I don't like to seem like I'm criticising your work at all, but when you have a thing of this much beauty anyway, it never hurts just to make it that bit more perfect, does it?

Edited by - Doc Filth on 03 May 2010 17:26:23
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  20:03:28  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to ask, but are there plans to do a 4e map too???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  21:32:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question sf...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  22:04:22  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I hate to ask, but are there plans to do a 4e map too???

Sorry, don't think so. Dealing with files this big is kind of annoying...

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  22:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too bad, I was hoping for a good 4e world map
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  23:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For 4e I'd keep an eye on Mark Schley's work (the guy that did the recent Dungeon mag realms maps). No sign of a full continent map yet, of course, but the steady feed of regional ones should keep the spellscarred among up happy. ;)

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000