Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Who was the first mortal Magic user in the realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  23:05:54  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has it ever been documented? If not, who was the first mortal race to produce magic users? How did they learn? From Wwom did they learn? Outsiders? Gods? Spontaneously?

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  23:12:24  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the rumor is taught by Mystryl.

actual name is likely NDA or not ever listed

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  23:20:03  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

the rumor is taught by Mystryl.

actual name is likely NDA or not ever listed

So what does that mean? It's an eternal mystery?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  00:58:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I suspect this is something we may never know, I think you might have better lucking asking this to Ed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  18:22:00  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was some fey creature, by spontaneous sorcery or learned from the immortal fey (why, cause of Lurue).

Or a sarrukh priest of the World Serpent

Or if you want to believe Stardeep, aboleths, but then you could throw a race of sentient jellies to the race
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  00:36:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard about the first mortal magic user in the Realms. Some called him... Tim.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  13:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Wooly was, but I could be mistaken

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  14:35:43  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've heard about the first mortal magic user in the Realms. Some called him... Tim.

How sad is it that I know longer think of Monty Python first when I here that name? Instead I always thing of a prodigal sorcerer before Python.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  06:13:33  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's very sad, Ashe. You need to sit down and watch "Holy Grail" at least once in the next few days... preferably the deluxe DVD edition with the Shakespearean subtitles turned on.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 09 May 2010 06:14:07
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  17:56:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I watch it regularly. The problem is that my best friend had a blue deck in magic where you'd get killed by Tim all the time. Two years of that 'affects' you in ways you can't describe.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  19:20:43  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh... I never played Magic, and thought for a long time that it was the antithesis of role-playing... which is why I was initially horrified when WotC bought TSR. In hindsight, better that than the alternative... no comment on the latest corporate transaction.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  16:04:38  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the Sarrukh, the dragons and the elves all have a kind of first in many ways! The sarrukh I dont know how or why, but they created the nether scrolls. The dragons are just so magical that they have an innate ability! An the elves... dont get me started on the elves. They got contacted by a sertain individual. Who called himself Morpheus!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  21:14:31  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel your pain ash, I got killed by those decks as well. A lot.
Scarred me for a long time against blue decks.

Then I learned how to build a blue deck. WA HA HA HA
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  12:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First Magic user? Wouldn't that be AO when he decided to burp and made Selune and Shar? Then they did the sister test, made Faerun... etc etc.

Honestly though, I think the first user of magic was a Sarrukh, likely Arthindol (The Terraseer). Again, unlikely. However he'd very likely know.

I do know the Sarrukh, Batrachi and Aearee were the only three of the creator races that used magic the most. It was how the Nether Scrolls were made by the Sarrukh stealing the lore of magic from Batrachi and Aearee's studies of primative users.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  12:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the creator races was probably the first mortals to produce 'proper' spell-casters through learned magic, as opposed to possessing instinctive magical power. The cave dwelling proto-humans of the same time might have had some kind of early shamans, but nothing even close to the power routinely wielded by the Sarrukh and friends.

You could also argue that the elves would have learned magic well before they ever left Faerie and showed up on Faerun.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000