Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Blank spots on the 3.5 map "Here be dragons"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  17:25:37  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Abeir-Toril map has a few (2 or 3) blank "unknown" continents.

Is there any official info on these or are they still a blank spot for the DM to decide?

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  19:14:37  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DM to decide.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  03:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few of the places on the 3E map marked as "Unknown Lands" have actually been named.

Edited Map with named continents

Anchorome has had the most coverage in the Maztica books. Katashaka and Osse have more or less just been named, with slightly more semi-official lore present on the 'Keep's Compendiums. The other spots marked "Unknown Lands", have not, to my knowledge, been mentioned.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  03:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Addendum:
This has been answered on the Ask Ed 2k9 Scroll, so here's a copy of Markustay's two coppers:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This may help - There are some unoffical names floating around for some of the other stuff, but I tried to keep this one as official as possible.

Note: 'Tabaxiland?' is stated thusly because a "large island" is noted as the homeland of the Tabaxi in RoF, which could be an error, and that certainly wouldn't be it's name regardless. There is one other non-canon name there, but I feel ever[sic] setting needs one of those.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  08:12:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've posted a newer version with Ed's corrections.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  16:11:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remain curious about that unknown continent west of Anchôromé.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  16:49:29  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I remain curious about that unknown continent west of Anch�rom�.

As do I...but after being inspired by Markustay I may have to invent my own again. Before I got on the forum I had the lower SE continent (Osse)
in my game as a full on Oriental setting (using the Oriental handbook of course). So I may asign a different type of theme to the Unknown one...I'm thinking of breaking out my old AD&D MM1 and populating the whole place with those goofy outsiders that all look like pyramids and squares..you know...the ones no one EVER used. In tribute to Markustay I shall make their king a Flying Monkey that escaped from his continent.

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  17:04:21  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I've posted a newer version with Ed's corrections.
You're going to have to stop calling the landmass north of Maztica Anchorome if you want Ed's approval. Anchorome is a chain of islands he says, and I'm not one to argue with the master.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  19:43:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HOWEVER, that is the continent that appeared in both the FRIA product and the FRCG, and since printed products 'overule' Ed...

Now, you know I love and respect Ed as much as anyone, but them's the rules.

If and when I get around to doing that area, I have already decided to include a chain of islands (which did indeed appear in the FRIA, but further north) called the Anchôromé Islands, and use the material I found in that old L-List post to build off-of.

The main continent 'behind' those Islands I plan to put a "Anchôromé?" on it, suggesting that that is what Faerûnians are mistakenly calling it (I'm sure the natives have some ideas about what to call it, as well as the new arrivals from Laerakond).

The world is a big place, and Ed's Islands can fit comfortably right alongside WotC's continent.

As an aside, I have thought about using the eastern coast of the Greyhawk Map as a base, becase I love it so (and it's loaded with islands!). I wouldn't inlcude locales, just the terrain, which would allow DMs to decide whether to place GH there, or to use the geography and place their own homebrew stuff.

@Teneck - those 'goofy outsiders' became the basis for an entire plane in the Planescape setting (when Nirvana was changed to Mechanus). As for the land of Flying Monkeys - I have an entire simian theme going on there (not that anyone in my games ever made it that far. I've got Planet-of-the-Apes style Ape cities, those Gorilla-headed men (Ape-Lords) from the Kull series, Grahluks from the Elric novels (1eDD), Monkey-birds from Pirates of Darkwaters (awesomest cartoon EVA!), Tabi (Mystara setting), etc, etc...

And every other D&D Ape-Race (there are about a dozen, including monsters), and a few homebrews, like Bat-winged Grahluks that are Fiend crossbreeds, and large beastial centaurs that look more like Gorillas attached to the bodies of Shaggy (primitive) horses.

Ohhhh... and those annoying flying Monkeys from Oz... can't do anything without them...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jun 2009 19:58:17
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  00:20:25  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given its somewhat southern location, I always assumed that was a pun at the expense of our antipodean friends.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  05:44:07  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I remain curious about that unknown continent west of Anchôromé.

Australia? (coincidentally, haven't you noticed that there are no marsupials in the Monster Manual? I smell an upcoming hardcover, with rules for dire kangaroo mounts... )
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  15:41:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually we tried to fill-in some details for Osse, including critters, in This thread at WotC.

We have natives addicted to a dream-drug (similar to Soma, or the land of the Lotus-Eaters from Greek Myth), several primitive (prmordial) primal powers that dwell beneath Osse (including a massive sentient Coral Reef), and of course marsupials galore.

The Kodingobolds are particularly fitting, and live on the Kodingobold Island (which is that very large island just off the SW coast of Osse).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  18:05:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually speaking of the large island next to what is currently labeled Anchorômé and below Aurune -- the only spot still labeled "Unknown lands".

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  23:41:49  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out Candlekeep Compendium IV Wooly, and search for Myrmidune.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  21:49:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Check out Candlekeep Compendium IV Wooly, and search for Myrmidune.

So what's living there now?

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  00:02:59  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Miniature Giant Space Hamsters

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  00:16:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Miniature Giant Space Hamsters

Seriously, is anything living there, now? If not, I can use it for an idea I've had...

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  02:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had originally envisioned Myrmidune as a region still ruled by dragon empires (primarily metallic) but I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to flesh it out. I'd love to hear your idea though.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  06:13:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I had originally envisioned Myrmidune as a region still ruled by dragon empires (primarily metallic) but I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to flesh it out. I'd love to hear your idea though.

Actually, that could work... I'm trying to find a place to use for another of my projects: coming up with an origin story for dragonborn that has nothing to do with the Sellplague.

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  16:58:06  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tell me is the Sellplague like the Spellplague but where the stock market goes to hell instead? lol
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  17:33:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, that could work... I'm trying to find a place to use for another of my projects: coming up with an origin story for dragonborn that has nothing to do with the Sellplague.

I personally just use the Khaastas myself (they're close enough, I figure, and already have an established place in lore).

As for your (and Brian's) idea... you could always borrow heavilly from Dragonlance, and go the Draconian/Takhisis route.

Personally, I'd rather have a continent of Minotaurs myself.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  05:26:30  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little confused here, but this I found by accident and was wondering when, by whom, and what is known about these three newly discovered names for the Unknown Lands (minus the 4E propaganda, of course, curious on pre-Spellplague). Myrmidune, Aurune, and Land of Flying Monkeys? This is all brand new to me.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  06:01:59  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myrmidune is the large island west of Anchorome (or the continent formerly known as such). Aurune is (IIRC) the theorized name of one (or both?) of the islands to the north of that continent. Braaklosia (sp?) is the corrected name of the aforementioned island(s); I like using one name for one island, the other for the second. The Empire of Evil Flying Monkeys is the large island to the south between Katashaka and Zakhara, south of the other large island, which is known tentatively as Tabaxiland on the map I'm working from. Links to those maps are in the posts above.

Edit: The map in question is an edited digital version of the world map outline found in the 3E FRCS, so yes, it's pre-Spellplague.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 09 May 2010 06:03:53
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  09:37:42  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I'd love to hear something about Utter South.

BTW Anchorome used for a continent is not a completely new idea.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  17:49:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

BTW Anchorome used for a continent is not a completely new idea.

No, but it is an idea that's all TSR/WotC... Ed's original concept was a chain of islands, as mentioned above by Markustay; there's a detailed post somewhere discussing it, but I don't have a link ATM... Mods? Markustay? Anyone else have a link for us? Please?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 09 May 2010 17:50:17
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  00:28:22  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Myrmidune is the large island west of Anchorome (or the continent formerly known as such). Aurune is (IIRC) the theorized name of one (or both?) of the islands to the north of that continent. Braaklosia (sp?) is the corrected name of the aforementioned island(s); I like using one name for one island, the other for the second. The Empire of Evil Flying Monkeys is the large island to the south between Katashaka and Zakhara, south of the other large island, which is known tentatively as Tabaxiland on the map I'm working from. Links to those maps are in the posts above.

Edit: The map in question is an edited digital version of the world map outline found in the 3E FRCS, so yes, it's pre-Spellplague.

Interesting. My main question was, however, where did this information come from? Is it official from Ed or some other FR designer or are these fan-made names?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  19:00:14  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The map linked to in MarkusTay's post above (from 18 June 2009) would appear to be corrected by Ed, so I think we can assume that any changed names on that map are Ed's names. You may want to ask Ed just to make sure; when you do so, it would help to include a quote of MT's post so Ed has the link; the post is almost a year old now.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 May 2010 19:01:35
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  06:24:32  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh! I was looking for that map of Markustay's... If only to shoehorn Golarion's geography into Anchorômé. :P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000