Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 HELP: I need a list of sources for the Cold Lands
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  21:12:38  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am in the midst of a long-term project in this region of the Realms and I was wanting to make sure I had collected ALL of the canon from this area

I seek info on Cold Lands, Damara, Vaasa, Narfell, Great Glacier, Sossal, Bloodstone, Galena mountains as well as people and places within

Most of the Campaign Settings say the same thing so I have excluded 1e and 2e FRCS

Also, this project doesn't contain 4e material so no need to post 4e sources

Some sources below do not mention the Cold Lands but were used because those sources detailed a race known only or mainly to the Cold Lands region (i.e. Arctic Dwarf, Ulutians, Avariel, Gray Orc).

I will list below a list of sources from this region and I would like the 'Keep sages to see if I have left any out:

MAJOR = large quantity of Cold Lands canon info
MINOR = small amount of Cold Lands canon info

I. CANON SOURCES

A. MAJOR - ACCESSORIES
1. Bloodstone Lands (FR9) – accessory, RA Salvatore 1989
2. Bloodstone Pass (H1) – module box set, Douglas Niles/Michael Dobson 1985
3. The Mines of Bloodstone (H2) – module, Niles/ Dobson 1986
4. The Bloodstone Wars (H3) – module, Niles/Dobson/Ed Greenwood 1987
5. The Throne of Bloodstone (H4) - module, Niles/ Dobson 1988
6. Dungeoneer’s Survival Guide (DSG) – sourcebook, Niles 1986
7. The Great Glacier (GG) – accessory, Rick Swan 1992
8. Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (FRCS) – campaign guide, 2001
9. The Horde (Horde) – boxed set, Zeb Cook 1990
10. Dwarves Deep (FR11) – accessory, Greenwood 1990

B. MAJOR - NOVELS
1. Promise of the Witch-King (PotWK) – novel, Sellswords trilogy #2, Salvatore 2005
2. Road of the Patriarch (RotP) – novel, Sellswords trilogy #3, Salvatore 2006
3. The Ruin (Ruin) – novel, Richard Lee Byers 2006
4. Soldiers of Ice (SoI) – novel, Harpers’ series #7
5. Dragons: World's Afire (D:WA) - If They Ever Happen Upon My Lair - novella, Salvatore 2006

C. MAJOR - ARTICLES
1. The Chasm Bridge – magazine article, Dragon #131 (Dungeon #101), Desmond Varady

D. MINOR ACCESSORIES
1. Demihuman Dieties (DD) – accessory, Eric Boyd 1998
2. Faiths and Avatars (FA) – accessory, Boyd
3. Unapproachable East (UE) – sourcebook
4. Races of Faerun (RoF) – sourcebook, Boyd, Matt Forbeck, James Jacobs 2003
5. Lost Empires of Faerun (LEoF) – sourcebook, Richard Baker, Bonny, Stout 2005
6. Player’s Guide to Faerun (PGtF) – sourcebook, Baker, Stout, Wyatt 2004
7. Powers and Pantheons (PaP) – accessory, Boyd 1997
8. For Duty and Deity (FDaD) – module, Dale Donovan 1998
9. Villians Lorebook (VL) – accessory, Dale Donovan 1998
10. Volo’s Guide to All Things Magical (VGM) – accessory, Greenwood/Boyd 1996
11. Netheril: Empire of Magic (N:EoM) – boxed set, slade/Jim Butler 1996
12. Wizards and Rogues of the Realms (WaR) – accessory, William Conners 1995
13. Warriors and Priests of the Realms (WaP) – accessory, John Terra 1996
14. Player’s Guide to the Forgotten Realms (PGFR) – accessory, 1993
15. Pages from the Mages (PftM) – accessory, Greenwood and Tim Beach 1995
16. Hall of Heroes (HoH) – accessory, various 1989
17. Underdark (U) – sourcebook, Cordell, Kestrel, and Quick 2003
18. Heroes Lorebook (HL) – accessory, Donovan and Paul Culotta 1996
19. Draconomicon (D) – 2nd ed. accessory, Nigel Findley 1990
20. Champions of Ruin (CoR) – sourcebook, Boyd, Wil Upchurch, and Jeff Crook 2005
21. A Grand Tour of the Realms (GTotR) – campaign guide, Greenwood and Grubb 1993
22. Champions of Valor (CoV) – sourcebook, Thomas Reid and Sean Reynolds 2005
23. Mysteries of the Moonsea (MotM) – sourcebook, Reid, Reynolds, Drader, Upchurch 2006
24. Forgotten Realms Atlas
25. Dragons of Faerun (DoF) – sourcebook, Eric Boyd and Eytan Bernstein, 2006

E. MINOR – NOVELS
1. The Rage (Rage) – novel, Richard Lee Byers 2004
2. The Rite (Rite) – novel, Richard Lee Byers 2005
3. Realms of the Dragons (RotD) – short story - Wickless in the Nether, Salvatore 2004
4. Realms of Infamy (RoI) – short story – Twilight, Troy Denning
5. Realms of Shadow (RoS) - short story - Darksword, Denning 2001
6. Realms of Shadow (RoS) - short story - That Curious Sword, Salvatore, 2001
7. Return of the Archwizards - trilogy - Denning 2001
8. Pool of Radiance - novel - James M. Ward & Jane Cooper Hong 1989
9. Bloodwalk - novel - James P. Davis 2006

F. MINOR – ARTICLES
1. Assassin’s Run – magazine article, Dragon #64, Greenwood-source of ch.4 in H3
2. Sailors on the Sea of Air – magazine article, Dragon #124, Greenwood
3. Elminster’s Notebook – magazine article, Dragon #216, Greenwood
4. Branching Out All Over – magazine article, Dragon #209, Roger E. Moore
5. Portals of the Frozen Wastes (PotFW) – Perilous Gateways web article – wizards.com - http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020626z
6. Realms Personalities – web articles - wizards.com, various authors and links
7. Deity Do’s and Don’ts (DDaD) – web enhancement - wizards.com, Reynolds
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020504a
8. Impiltur: The Forgotten Kingdom – magazine article, Dragon #346, George Krashos
9. Rivals – magazine article, Dragon # ??,

*NOTE: The short story “The Greatest Hero Who Ever Died” from Realms of Infamy, although referencing Sossal, isn’t canon as it uses non-Realms cities and sites (actual real life places in England) and so isn’t included as a source

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 15 Oct 2009 18:28:29

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  21:24:02  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry about the no-rhyme-or-reason random order

i'll try to rework it where it is easier to search the list

edit: okay i fixed up the types of sources into six categories

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 14 Oct 2009 23:03:41
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  15:51:59  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krash, where are ya? help a fella out hehe

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  16:41:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. He's often the "go-to" scribe for stuff like this.

Unfortunately, I don't have much to add to your list. You've covered pretty much every source that I can recall. I'd have to check my own archives to be certain, but I think you're safe...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  16:52:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, on second thought, I do immediately notice one minor source you've missed. Krash's other 'Impiltur' article for DRAGON -- "Soargar's Legacy" [#277].

And to help complete some of the details you're missing...

The Bloodwalk novel, which features some tidbits about Narfell and Raumathar. 'Tis by James P. Davis [2006].

The first and original Pool of Radiance novel -- by James M. Ward and Jane Cooper Hong [1989].

I'm not sure about that "Rivals" article from DRAGON. A quick search of the DragonDex didn't reveal anything with that title.

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Oct 2009 16:55:13
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  17:15:14  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have all but a handful of the Dragon issues so it's just a matter of finding it ...

but i believe "Rivals" article (i may have name wrong) is a tale of how two of the main characters in Byers' The Year of Rogue of Dragons trilogy met - sorta like a prequel about the arctic dwarf and half-golem protagonists

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 15 Oct 2009 17:31:54
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  17:28:52  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oh, on second thought, I do immediately notice one minor source you've missed. Krash's other 'Impiltur' article for DRAGON -- "Soargar's Legacy" [#277].

well it is a mystery ... i went to my stack of Dragons

and thumbing through I am missing #277

i wonder if someone pointed out this issue to me before and i took it out of the collection to research it and didn't put it back (nor write down any of the info LOL)

or maybe it is one of the 3 or 4 issues i don't own

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  19:36:11  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in searching for the article on Dorn and Raryn, i came across another article on Byers' protagonists - Taegan (winged elf) in Dragon #320

he is from Earthwood in Damara (mentioned in article) but the story takes place in Calaunt so i don't think i'll add it as a source

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  23:47:35  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
new source:

Dungeon Magazine #53 - module called "Steelheart" - set in Darmshall, frontier fort-town in Vaasa - Paul Culotta 1995

ETA: not "set" in Darmshall, Steelheart lives in Darmshall but the module runs through Moortown and Sullasspryn

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 28 Oct 2009 17:07:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  01:04:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach

quote:

well it is a mystery ... i went to my stack of Dragons

and thumbing through I am missing #277

i wonder if someone pointed out this issue to me before and i took it out of the collection to research it and didn't put it back (nor write down any of the info LOL)

or maybe it is one of the 3 or 4 issues i don't own
'Tis a worthwhile source, and I usually include it whenever I direct interested scribes to info about Impiltur.

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  04:12:39  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
does it have anything specific about giantspire mountains other than that that is where Soargar's Legacy was lost? ...

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  04:52:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to re-check my copy, as I don't have it handy at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2009 :  16:34:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you sure it's 277? I don't see it....

Edit: Nvmd - found it in the Bazaar of the bazarre.

Edit2: I'm just glancing through it, and although I don't see any geographic specifics, it does have a nice chunk of Impiturran history in it, maing it worthwhile.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Oct 2009 16:40:58
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2009 :  17:05:28  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in 2ed, Impiltur was in the Bloodstone Lands supplement

in 3ed, Impiltur wasn't a part of the Cold Lands region

i am basically looking for just the areas found in 3ed Cold Lands, so unless #277 Dragon has any about their neighbors, I guess it isn't a source I am looking for

thanks so much for the replies though, keep em coming please

Impiltur and Damara do have overlapping canon though as far as trade routes and Soneillon so always looking for more sources

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2009 :  23:47:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

i am basically looking for just the areas found in 3ed Cold Lands, so unless #277 Dragon has any about their neighbors, I guess it isn't a source I am looking for
Well, it has Impiltur info, and you're cataloguing those sources, so I'd say it's something you're looking for.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
734 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2009 :  08:41:03  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably another MINOR - NOVELS source is Shield of the Weeping Ghost, also by James P. Davis.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2009 :  16:55:27  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, it has Impiltur info, and you're cataloguing those sources, so I'd say it's something you're looking for.

: oops it came out wrong

to the above, i mean to say unless #277 has any info about IMPILTUR'S neighbors (to the north), I guess it isn't a source I am looking for

sorry

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2009 :  17:07:32  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

: oops it came out wrong

to the above, i mean to say unless #277 has any info about IMPILTUR'S neighbors (to the north), I guess it isn't a source I am looking for

sorry

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2009 :  06:48:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The write-up of Malagar "the Burnfang" in Dragon #277 does mention some Giantspire Mountains geography.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2009 :  16:03:48  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
then that makes it a source!

thanks Krash

do you know of any other sources I have missed?

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2009 :  02:54:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, seems like you've got pretty much all of them. I did put in a few historical references to Sossal in the GHotR but that's about all I can think of.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  00:56:26  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
found several more - will post them soon

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2010 :  04:00:41  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Fall of Highwatch : novel by Mark Sehedset (spelling?)

has an introduction with canon info about Narfell and Damara from pre-spellplague time

and many of the book's places and characters were alive pre-spellplague so can be used as a 3e source

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  03:57:55  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And to help complete some of the details you're missing...

The Bloodwalk novel, which features some tidbits about Narfell and Raumathar. 'Tis by James P. Davis [2006].

The first and original Pool of Radiance novel -- by James M. Ward and Jane Cooper Hong [1989].

I'm not sure about that "Rivals" article from DRAGON. A quick search of the DragonDex didn't reveal anything with that title.

'Rivals' is in Dragon #343 ... doesn't take place in the Cold Lands but it does have Raryn in the article who hails from the Great Glacier

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  03:58:33  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sentinelspire - Mark Sehestedt

FR Novel in the Citadels series

contains a glossary in the front of the book that lists several orcish words/phrases of the Stone Tooth clan of Vaasa

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 10 Feb 2010 04:01:50
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  04:04:11  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Giantcraft - FR 2ed Accessory

bunches of info on Ostoria with mention of part of that kingdom (including the capital Voninheim) occupying land that is now under the Great Glacier

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  16:41:55  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NEW: Dragon Magazine #70

Just a snip of info about a ranger who fought giants in the Great Glacier with the help of a magical shield

article by Ed Greenwood

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
734 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  09:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As does the web companion piece "Bloodline". I'm not sure where WotC hides it on their site these days, but a copy of it can be found at O-Love's site (Bloodline).

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  17:54:49  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aye unfortunately, a bunch of great old web url's that i had saved from Wizards.com now just forward to some generic /index page on their site

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  18:40:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it appears that they've removed old 'web enhancements' and such for novels. There's a forum thread on the WotC board asking about it, but there's been no information forthcoming.

So I hope you all grabbed the pages detailing Catti-Brie and Cadderly's 3E stats before they disappeared. Not to sound paranoid, but I'd make sure you get all the stuff off the Old D&D Downloads page soon. No tellin' when it may not be there anymore.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  19:03:21  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
alot of the candlekeep links from the home page go to that same /index page too

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000