Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Authors
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  07:59:41  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Archimedes of Syracuse

Sorry for the double post. but i just saw that richard baker has zero votes!!!!!!!!! has anyone read the last mythal? great series.

I skimmed through the first one; not for me.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  04:35:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I get to ponder on my vote, I think it should have been a tie bet. Ed and Richard...I love Richard, but he could have not written any realms story had Ed not created FR in the first place. Fave Ed books: Crown of Fire, the El series, Shadows of Doom...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

MrsDrasek
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  16:37:29  Show Profile  Visit MrsDrasek's Homepage Send MrsDrasek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This pole couldn't get any easier, Instead of reading a ton into it and with no reguard to who created the realms or who wrote the most books ect, ect. I just simply answered: "who is the best forgotten realms author?" I do like other authors however its said "the BEST"

Paul S. Kemp....hands down, nuff said! :)

Part Well...Regret Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  19:28:20  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Elaine Cunningham. Her books are wonders to read. She makes me almost feel for Liriel and Arilyn...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  20:46:59  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No all of the above option?

Then I'll vote for Elaine, as Elfshadow and Elfsong were the novels that got me genuinely enthused for the Realms.

Edited by - BlackAce on 10 May 2010 20:48:50
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  19:37:18  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul S. Kemp and then Ed greenwood...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  11:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham. ELfshadow I couldn't put down. I was just starting to play DnD when I saw that book at my fave coffee shop. Cover was missing. Even though my DM did forgotten realms, he had it all on a completly different country of his own creation. (Why he just didn't use his own world I don't know. Oh wait. It had Torm. He go gay for Torm. Even though his fave character he ever made was a CG Ranger. He got very pissed off when I made mention his god can't grant him spells since Torm is LG and he is CG. He screamed that as a Ranger he gets spells from nature. I pointed to forgotton realms book that even then, they need a patron diety, and need to be one step. He eventally went NG.

So I read a few names in it, and I'm like I heard of those!

It was thanks to her, that I became obsess with Forgotton Realms. I thank her for it.

Ed is ok, but his writing makes me sleepy.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  03:32:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

Ed is ok, but his writing makes me sleepy.

Wow!

I would agree when it comes to Falconfar saga. But with the realms, I believe Ed is always at his best!

Go to Top of Page

silverwizard
Seeker

Greece
76 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  09:48:21  Show Profile  Visit silverwizard's Homepage Send silverwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In terms of literary value, I'll have to say Paul Kemp. He is the only one among those listed who makes the Realms appear better than they are (closer to what they could be).

Also, Ed Greenwood deserves to be mentioned in such a topic by virtue of having created the setting (as an author, however, he leaves much to be desired).
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  09:52:29  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham for me, also.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Dadoo
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  22:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Dadoo's Homepage Send Dadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love R.A. Salvatores Realms books but funnily I do not like any of his other works. I was torn on this one because I love Ed Greenwoods books also and since he is the one who created this Glorious World I wanted to vote for him also. I am a notorious rooter for the underdog tho so R.A.S. it is(helps that his initials are the same as mine ha. ha.).
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  06:09:46  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO BAKER, BYERS,and KEMP are at the top know. The Erevis Cales trilogy, awesome.... Byers undead/unholy novels particularly the last one was amazing and Baker with the Last Mythals I might have to say is the best forgotten realms trilogy I have ever read. Mind you I like action packed high level stories.

RA is always going to be one of the best but is it me or has he pretty much peaked with the Drizzt stuff?

Ed Greenwood is either hit or miss for me. When he hits it's ,magic, pure magic but when he misses it's boring self indulgent writing IMO. Overall I say he misses alot more than he hits. But I will always eat up any Elminster novel he puts out.

I think Troy Denning and Doug Niles deserve honorable mentions as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  02:59:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

I think Troy Denning and Doug Niles deserve honorable mentions as well.

And Clayton Emery. His Netheril Trilogy is one of the best Realms series ever.

Go to Top of Page

Zeffaniah
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  21:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Zeffaniah's Homepage Send Zeffaniah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted for Salvatore.
Dark Elf Trilogy was some of the first books I read (right after the Avatar books).
The way he describes the thoughts of his characters is better than any other writer's books I've read. I also like his use of words & he gets a hold on you, that makes you want to read the entire book (808 pages) before going to bed. Still you can use alot of time just thinking bout what he writes/describes in most of the chapters.
The Dark Elf Trilogy and the Dragonlance Chronicles & Legends are the books that have made me cry while reading them lol.
Big credits to Weis & Hickman aswell :)

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  21:34:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeffaniah

Voted for Salvatore.
Dark Elf Trilogy was some of the first books I read (right after the Avatar books).
The way he describes the thoughts of his characters is better than any other writer's books I've read. I also like his use of words & he gets a hold on you, that makes you want to read the entire book (808 pages) before going to bed. Still you can use alot of time just thinking bout what he writes/describes in most of the chapters.
The Dark Elf Trilogy and the Dragonlance Chronicles & Legends are the books that have made me cry while reading them lol.
Big credits to Weis & Hickman aswell :)

You might want to try RAS's Cleric Quintet as well then, interesting charcters for sure!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  23:17:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hmm, I think I am the only FR reader who NEVER ever bothered to devour a Dritzz novel. Just proves I am not a fan of fighters, no matter how famous or seemingly (at least for me) interesting. Haven't even read The Fighters series, either.

Go to Top of Page

Zeffaniah
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  00:51:07  Show Profile  Visit Zeffaniah's Homepage Send Zeffaniah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Hmm, I think I am the only FR reader who NEVER ever bothered to devour a Dritzz novel. Just proves I am not a fan of fighters, no matter how famous or seemingly (at least for me) interesting. Haven't even read The Fighters series, either.

Haha Dennis :) Well know it ain't FR, but if you haven't read the Dragonlance Chronicles & Legends, those would maybe more fall in your taste.

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  01:04:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dennis, if not all of the fighters.... You Must read Ghostwalker by Erik Scott de Bie. Not your typical fighter type novel at all. More like High Noon meets the realms or like Kirwasawa doing a realms story.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  06:23:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'll see. I think I visited a scroll where someone mentioned that's his/her most fave FR book. Was it you? Anyway, is the main char. in that book NOT an elf? If not, then I might give it a try. If he is, oh well, I'll have to say, no, thanks. (Hated and still hate FR elves, save a VERY FEW drow.)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  11:53:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll see. I think I visited a scroll where someone mentioned that's his/her most fave FR book. Was it you? Anyway, is the main char. in that book NOT an elf? If not, then I might give it a try. If he is, oh well, I'll have to say, no, thanks. (Hated and still hate FR elves, save a VERY FEW drow.)

It's mostly humans in that book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  14:11:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Quite possibly was me, that may very well still be my favorite realms work, but there has been great novels since then.

Here is a link (thanks to O Love for hosting it on his site) for a short story Erik did after Ghostwalker, but is set before that story involving some of the same characters ,including the main (human) character when he was young. It can be read before or after. But I thought it might give you the feel of the novel.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  14:11:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgot the link! (and how to make it look snazzy!)

http://www.o-love.net/realms/samples/sam_fig2_2.pdf

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  18:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Forgot the link! (and how to make it look snazzy!)

example link

Like that, Red?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Hooch9
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  07:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Hooch9's Homepage Send Hooch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only read about two authors from FR novels. Philip Athans (which from the reviews on the Baldur's Gate novel he wrote, it seems like he's not liked by some) and R.A. Salvatore. Between the two I personally prefer Salvatore, but then again I've only read one and a half FR books.

Need more cash, need more time to read.

Sheriff: Oh one other thing Earlie. Your boy needs to be in school.
Earlie Cuyler: School? Ain't dat da damn place where they got all dem uhh lets see, whatcha call um uhh? Fold outs covered in scriblins wrote up all over.
Earlie Cuyler: uhh? Books?
Earlie Cuyler: uh-uh, uh-uh, No they square like a magazine.
Sheriff: Books Earlie.
Earlie Cuyler: Noo not not that, but something like that, I wanna say boooooo...

"Don't you start with me. I have hobbies. I collect autographs. I don't Judge you for all those books you read!"

-Both of those quotes are from Squidbillies.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  07:43:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hooch9

need more time to read.

As Thomas Mann said, "Reading is one of those rare habits of mankind that is done with pure desire. So if you really want to, you can and you will find more than enough time to read."

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  15:40:23  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm this is tough but I suppose I ll have to go with Richard Byers , followed by RA Salvatore to whom I owe a debt of gratitude as it was Icewind Dale that introduced me to the realms.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  17:38:04  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that you left out some MAJOR "founding" Forgotten Realms authors, I would say that this poll definitely needs an "Other" category.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2012 :  00:33:33  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A difficult choice indeed! I would have to go with:
Paul S Kemp
Richard Lee Byers
Elaine Cunningham
Richard Baker

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2012 :  01:33:48  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Ed simply because I've not read a lot of the novels yet, but so far he's the one to incorporate the most lore. Kinda a gimmie, but eh. My personal favorite character is Erevis Cale, but I'll reserve judgement on whether Mr. Kemp is my favorite author after Ed for later. Later will be when I read Mr. Kemp's non-Cale stories. I got my start in Realms novels with Drizzt books, and I still like Sojourn, and the Ghost King, but Drizzt got old for me quick.
I love the wit and humor Elaine Cunningham uses in all her works, but I'm undecided on where I would rank her, though it would be near the top.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2012 :  05:11:53  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten Realms novels is Richard Lee Byers hands down.
But I'll digress a bit, and say that when it comes to authoring products I go with Ed Greenwood for his articles of realmslore in Dragon, and products like TSR 9213-FR1-Waterdeep & The North. With a hats off to Jeff Grubb on that one.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000