Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Authors
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  02:07:36  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Elaine Cunningham, by a large margin.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:45:05  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood has my vote, he created my favorite character: Elminster Aumar. His storytelling is impeccable, and well done.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  15:34:17  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Elaine. Her plots tend to be very well thought out (wheels within wheels sort of thing) and her characters are great. I really wish she were actively working on Realms material these days.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  19:33:21  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeff Grubb should be on this list, for heaven's sake. Azure Bonds and The Wyvern's Spur are extremely great books and much much better in my opinion than any of the authors listed here. He gets the Realms nearly as well as Ed (my highest compliment) but unlike Ed is capable of telling a tight, well plotted story without having 200 named characters that are totally unessential to the plot (I'm looking at you, Swords of XXX books).

Oops, forgot to add Elaine and Bob are the best authors listed in my opinion, but Jeff Grubb is better for my tastes. Ed has his moments but is a better world builder than author, to me (I very much enjoyed Crown of Fire).

Edited by - Seravin on 30 Dec 2013 19:34:51
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2014 :  07:35:27  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Elaine Cunningham. (It's a pity there's no 'all of the above' option, since that's how I'd preferred to have voted. -__-')

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 02 Jan 2014 07:36:35
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2014 :  08:13:24  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Ed Greenwood. I get a lot of secondary use out of his novels in terms of mining them for Realmslore and information that I can use for my own fan fiction, for running Realms campaigns and for playing D&D.

Also, I agree with Seravin: Jeff Grubb should be on that list. Too bad de Bie and Evans can't be retroactively added in.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2014 :  09:45:16  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's unfortunate that this is a typical forum poll: it's badly designed and incomplete. That aside, I don't really like voting on authors in this sort of way on a board where many of those authors hang out.

Ultimately I decided on Rich Baker because even Ed said great things about Rich's Last Mythal trilogy. He also deserves bonus points for being (over a year ago now) the only WotC game designer who could also write a good novel. (Coincidentally, he was one of two good adventure designers as well.)

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2014 :  20:50:19  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lisa Smedman. Her stories are the most well thought out and her narrative structure is the most well constructed.
She is by far the most skilled writer amongst them...nobody even compares.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  00:12:50  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Ed of the Greenwood. Mostly for the fact that he is the creator. That kind of authory is far beyond "just" novels.

I must also admit, that I have only read works from Ed... and few at that. Just never realy became the reading type. Kind of a problem being a university student
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000