Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Authors

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dinnin Posted - 20 Apr 2010 : 06:00:53
Just wondering who everyone thinks is the best forgotten realms author?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nicolai Withander Posted - 07 Jan 2014 : 00:12:50
I voted for Ed of the Greenwood. Mostly for the fact that he is the creator. That kind of authory is far beyond "just" novels.

I must also admit, that I have only read works from Ed... and few at that. Just never realy became the reading type. Kind of a problem being a university student
MrHedgehog Posted - 03 Jan 2014 : 20:50:19
Lisa Smedman. Her stories are the most well thought out and her narrative structure is the most well constructed.
She is by far the most skilled writer amongst them...nobody even compares.
Derulbaskul Posted - 02 Jan 2014 : 09:45:16
Yeah, it's unfortunate that this is a typical forum poll: it's badly designed and incomplete. That aside, I don't really like voting on authors in this sort of way on a board where many of those authors hang out.

Ultimately I decided on Rich Baker because even Ed said great things about Rich's Last Mythal trilogy. He also deserves bonus points for being (over a year ago now) the only WotC game designer who could also write a good novel. (Coincidentally, he was one of two good adventure designers as well.)
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 02 Jan 2014 : 08:13:24
I voted for Ed Greenwood. I get a lot of secondary use out of his novels in terms of mining them for Realmslore and information that I can use for my own fan fiction, for running Realms campaigns and for playing D&D.

Also, I agree with Seravin: Jeff Grubb should be on that list. Too bad de Bie and Evans can't be retroactively added in.
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 02 Jan 2014 : 07:35:27
I voted for Elaine Cunningham. (It's a pity there's no 'all of the above' option, since that's how I'd preferred to have voted. -__-')
Seravin Posted - 30 Dec 2013 : 19:33:21
Jeff Grubb should be on this list, for heaven's sake. Azure Bonds and The Wyvern's Spur are extremely great books and much much better in my opinion than any of the authors listed here. He gets the Realms nearly as well as Ed (my highest compliment) but unlike Ed is capable of telling a tight, well plotted story without having 200 named characters that are totally unessential to the plot (I'm looking at you, Swords of XXX books).

Oops, forgot to add Elaine and Bob are the best authors listed in my opinion, but Jeff Grubb is better for my tastes. Ed has his moments but is a better world builder than author, to me (I very much enjoyed Crown of Fire).
The Arcanamach Posted - 30 Dec 2013 : 15:34:17
I voted Elaine. Her plots tend to be very well thought out (wheels within wheels sort of thing) and her characters are great. I really wish she were actively working on Realms material these days.
Alruane Posted - 17 Nov 2013 : 09:45:05
Ed Greenwood has my vote, he created my favorite character: Elminster Aumar. His storytelling is impeccable, and well done.
Lord Karsus Posted - 14 May 2012 : 02:07:36
-Elaine Cunningham, by a large margin.
Thrasymachus Posted - 13 May 2012 : 05:11:53
Forgotten Realms novels is Richard Lee Byers hands down.
But I'll digress a bit, and say that when it comes to authoring products I go with Ed Greenwood for his articles of realmslore in Dragon, and products like TSR 9213-FR1-Waterdeep & The North. With a hats off to Jeff Grubb on that one.
Delwa Posted - 13 May 2012 : 01:33:48
I voted for Ed simply because I've not read a lot of the novels yet, but so far he's the one to incorporate the most lore. Kinda a gimmie, but eh. My personal favorite character is Erevis Cale, but I'll reserve judgement on whether Mr. Kemp is my favorite author after Ed for later. Later will be when I read Mr. Kemp's non-Cale stories. I got my start in Realms novels with Drizzt books, and I still like Sojourn, and the Ghost King, but Drizzt got old for me quick.
I love the wit and humor Elaine Cunningham uses in all her works, but I'm undecided on where I would rank her, though it would be near the top.
LastStand Posted - 13 May 2012 : 00:33:33
A difficult choice indeed! I would have to go with:
Paul S Kemp
Richard Lee Byers
Elaine Cunningham
Richard Baker
Artemas Entreri Posted - 11 May 2012 : 17:38:04
Considering that you left out some MAJOR "founding" Forgotten Realms authors, I would say that this poll definitely needs an "Other" category.
Thauranil Posted - 11 May 2012 : 15:40:23
Hmmmm this is tough but I suppose I ll have to go with Richard Byers , followed by RA Salvatore to whom I owe a debt of gratitude as it was Icewind Dale that introduced me to the realms.
Dennis Posted - 17 Aug 2010 : 07:43:42
quote:
Originally posted by Hooch9

need more time to read.

As Thomas Mann said, "Reading is one of those rare habits of mankind that is done with pure desire. So if you really want to, you can and you will find more than enough time to read."

Hooch9 Posted - 17 Aug 2010 : 07:25:14
I've only read about two authors from FR novels. Philip Athans (which from the reviews on the Baldur's Gate novel he wrote, it seems like he's not liked by some) and R.A. Salvatore. Between the two I personally prefer Salvatore, but then again I've only read one and a half FR books.

Need more cash, need more time to read.
Kyrene Posted - 13 Jul 2010 : 18:50:08
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Forgot the link! (and how to make it look snazzy!)

example link

Like that, Red?
The Red Walker Posted - 13 Jul 2010 : 14:11:59
Forgot the link! (and how to make it look snazzy!)

http://www.o-love.net/realms/samples/sam_fig2_2.pdf
The Red Walker Posted - 13 Jul 2010 : 14:11:17
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I'll see. I think I visited a scroll where someone mentioned that's his/her most fave FR book. Was it you? Anyway, is the main char. in that book NOT an elf? If not, then I might give it a try. If he is, oh well, I'll have to say, no, thanks. (Hated and still hate FR elves, save a VERY FEW drow.)

Quite possibly was me, that may very well still be my favorite realms work, but there has been great novels since then.

Here is a link (thanks to O Love for hosting it on his site) for a short story Erik did after Ghostwalker, but is set before that story involving some of the same characters ,including the main (human) character when he was young. It can be read before or after. But I thought it might give you the feel of the novel.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jul 2010 : 11:53:18
quote:

I'll see. I think I visited a scroll where someone mentioned that's his/her most fave FR book. Was it you? Anyway, is the main char. in that book NOT an elf? If not, then I might give it a try. If he is, oh well, I'll have to say, no, thanks. (Hated and still hate FR elves, save a VERY FEW drow.)

It's mostly humans in that book.
Dennis Posted - 13 Jul 2010 : 06:23:08

The Red Walker Posted - 13 Jul 2010 : 01:04:26
quote:

Hmm, I think I am the only FR reader who NEVER ever bothered to devour a Dritzz novel. Just proves I am not a fan of fighters, no matter how famous or seemingly (at least for me) interesting. Haven't even read The Fighters series, either.

Dennis, if not all of the fighters.... You Must read Ghostwalker by Erik Scott de Bie. Not your typical fighter type novel at all. More like High Noon meets the realms or like Kirwasawa doing a realms story.
Zeffaniah Posted - 13 Jul 2010 : 00:51:07
quote:

Hmm, I think I am the only FR reader who NEVER ever bothered to devour a Dritzz novel. Just proves I am not a fan of fighters, no matter how famous or seemingly (at least for me) interesting. Haven't even read The Fighters series, either.

Haha Dennis :) Well know it ain't FR, but if you haven't read the Dragonlance Chronicles & Legends, those would maybe more fall in your taste.
Dennis Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 23:17:26

The Red Walker Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 21:34:20
quote:
Originally posted by Zeffaniah

Voted for Salvatore.
Dark Elf Trilogy was some of the first books I read (right after the Avatar books).
The way he describes the thoughts of his characters is better than any other writer's books I've read. I also like his use of words & he gets a hold on you, that makes you want to read the entire book (808 pages) before going to bed. Still you can use alot of time just thinking bout what he writes/describes in most of the chapters.
The Dark Elf Trilogy and the Dragonlance Chronicles & Legends are the books that have made me cry while reading them lol.
Big credits to Weis & Hickman aswell :)

You might want to try RAS's Cleric Quintet as well then, interesting charcters for sure!
Zeffaniah Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 21:32:46
Voted for Salvatore.
Dark Elf Trilogy was some of the first books I read (right after the Avatar books).
The way he describes the thoughts of his characters is better than any other writer's books I've read. I also like his use of words & he gets a hold on you, that makes you want to read the entire book (808 pages) before going to bed. Still you can use alot of time just thinking bout what he writes/describes in most of the chapters.
The Dark Elf Trilogy and the Dragonlance Chronicles & Legends are the books that have made me cry while reading them lol.
Big credits to Weis & Hickman aswell :)
Dennis Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 02:59:20
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

I think Troy Denning and Doug Niles deserve honorable mentions as well.

And Clayton Emery. His Netheril Trilogy is one of the best Realms series ever.
jordanz Posted - 08 Jun 2010 : 06:09:46
IMO BAKER, BYERS,and KEMP are at the top know. The Erevis Cales trilogy, awesome.... Byers undead/unholy novels particularly the last one was amazing and Baker with the Last Mythals I might have to say is the best forgotten realms trilogy I have ever read. Mind you I like action packed high level stories.

RA is always going to be one of the best but is it me or has he pretty much peaked with the Drizzt stuff?

Ed Greenwood is either hit or miss for me. When he hits it's ,magic, pure magic but when he misses it's boring self indulgent writing IMO. Overall I say he misses alot more than he hits. But I will always eat up any Elminster novel he puts out.

I think Troy Denning and Doug Niles deserve honorable mentions as well.
Dadoo Posted - 06 Jun 2010 : 22:02:15
I love R.A. Salvatores Realms books but funnily I do not like any of his other works. I was torn on this one because I love Ed Greenwoods books also and since he is the one who created this Glorious World I wanted to vote for him also. I am a notorious rooter for the underdog tho so R.A.S. it is(helps that his initials are the same as mine ha. ha.).
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 30 May 2010 : 09:52:29
Elaine Cunningham for me, also.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000