Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Waterdeep's army
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  13:43:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Riverwind

In the 3E Waterdeep sourcbook they give the following stats on Waterdeep:

Spending Limit: 100,000gp
Assets: 663,300,000gp (3,316,500,000gp in summer months.)

Does anyone know what those numbers mean? Thanks.

The assets are the total amount of gold coin in the city at one time. The spending limit is the most amount of money a PC can spend on a single item.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  15:57:20  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
And my memory may be faulty here, but I think the "resource limit" is the maximum amount of gp a starting PC who is a member of that noble house can spend on equipping themselves for adventure. (Weapons, mounts, tents, traveling servants, gold-plated toothpicks...)
However, what you're driving at, Riverwind, I don't think will work. Just because there are X amount of gold pieces available in Waterdeep at any given time, doesn't mean a certain amount of them are easily freed for ponying up for the costs of a bigger army. Waterdeep is all about mercantile trade and getting richer, not spending money on an army that can be used to oppress merchants (who would react with "Things are fine with me right now, and we need a bigger army why, exactly? Buzz off, bud, I'm trying to get rich here!").
I agree with Thauramarth: doubling the tax rate would lead to revolt or widespread cheating (with resentment, hence little citizen cooperation with the soldiers) or a lot of merchants (and the wealth they control) leaving the city...or ALL of those results. You'd be ruining Waterdeep to garrison it.
I think Ed and all the TSR and WotC designers gave us a horse, and you're trying to turn it into an ox, without really showing us how you're going to do that. (Yeah, yeah, "magic," I know, but show us the spell, man! Ed's made a living doing just that, so I know it can be done.)
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 04 May 2010 16:10:35
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  16:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Re. this: "supply-side economics in real life has been a horrible failure."
Riverwind, my response to this is: Huh?
What does that have to do with Baleful Avatar's point on taxes? It's as if he said "The sky is blue" and you replied scornfully, "You know nothing about potatoes!"
I had to wade through YEARS of economics in my undergrad days, and I don't see how that one-liner of yours relates supply-side economics to what BA posted.
Explain, please? Or was this just a "B** baffles brains" moment?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  16:05:30  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Heh. I'm liking your James Bond secret agent force idea for Waterdeep more and more, Blueblade. I think it beats Riverwind's U.S. Army for Waterdeep notion all hollow.
Avoids the heavy taxation, avoids frightening the free-traders in the streets, avoids alarming rival cities...yep, wins hands down.
Riverwind, if you REALLY want to defend Waterdeep, I'd say find some youngsters with great aptitude for the Art, and (secretly) raise them as staunchly loyal to Waterdeep and to be awesome battle-mages, and there's your army. About twenty of them. Then get them bodyguards. Done.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  16:07:20  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
I'm still waiting for Riverwind to respond to the points our lovely THO made two pages back. She trounced quite a few points he made, and he's just moved on without a word.
Riverwind?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  16:16:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
And notice how he's completely stopped posting in the Waterdeep's Navy thread? It's even fallen off the first page of the forum.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  16:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Riverwind, I think you entirely missed my point.
You responded: "So because your rivals would not want a larger army you wouldn't build one?"
My question, rephrased, is: in the sentence you posted, that I've just quoted, who exactly is "You"?
My point was that I didn't see anyone in Waterdeep who would want a larger army enough to go to all the trouble of assembling one. Who exactly is going to "push" for a larger army? In this thread, there has been some discussion of taxes. You think the rate is way too low (compared to real-life modern New York, which I don't think is a valid comparison at all), and so nobles and possibly others can "easily" afford it.
Well, yes, but who's going to MAKE them afford it? If you go around the streets demanding donations/contributions at swordpoint, you'll get battles, all right, but not much of an army. And again, who's the "you"?
THAT'S what I'm curious about. Just who is going to do this?
Well?
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  17:09:38  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade
...and none of Waterdeep's rivals would want one, either.
You point out that (from your point of view) Waterdeep's population is undertaxed. I think those tax levels are why the place is a popular trading center, and anyone raising them courts resistance.

So because your rivals would not want a larger army you wouldn't build one?

Not when it would alienate most of your allies, spread unsurety and make everyone with money nervous. A medium army would leave Waterdeep even weaker than it was if it lost its diplomatic position.

And it seems like you are dead set on being right about this without really discussing it outside of a modern day logic that says that Waterdeep is doing is idiotic. And since when is it uncommon for society to be idiotic? That's what history really is, a chronology of idiocy and glimpses of clear though that any one reading it now could see in a second.
Go to Top of Page

Riverwind
Learned Scribe

133 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  20:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Riverwind's Homepage Send Riverwind a Private Message
Wow. The last four/five posts are acting like I'm attacking them or something. Sorry gentlemen, I'll return to my normal once in a while lurking around here. Thanks for the fun thread, I wish I had portrayed my side better. See'ya on the streets of Waterdeep.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  20:59:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
River, some hold their views dearly.

As to army size in time od peace I really do not see a problem with it as I indicated in the past. This in part driven by other factions within the city.

Yes the army could be increased in size and paid for with taxes. Doing so however would tend to change the culture. Low taxes is one reason that Waterdeep is a major trading center. Having a larger army might also dampen the accepted illegal trade that is part of the economy.

Yes a small army could take out the Watch and the Guard if they get though the gates, or portal in. They however could never hold the city. The Guard in effect has a reserve of at least 10,000 that could be activated for time of war. In two days, perhaps less the invading force would be defeated. The defenses normally does not require men when there are mages to take the place of thousands of men.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  21:06:18  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
We're not attacking you, Riverwind, we're asking for specific explanations of parts of your replies to us, or your posted comments.
Which is, ahem, what these threads are FOR, yes?

Edited by - Malcolm on 04 May 2010 21:06:50
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  22:06:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

We're not attacking you, Riverwind, we're asking for specific explanations of parts of your replies to us, or your posted comments.
Which is, ahem, what these threads are FOR, yes?

Err as a group, it clearly appears you are attacking. Nothing any one user posts, however the collected posts has some appearance of applying peer pressure, at least to my eyes.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  23:02:25  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:

Wow. The last four/five posts are acting like I'm attacking them or something. Sorry gentlemen, I'll return to my normal once in a while lurking around here. Thanks for the fun thread, I wish I had portrayed my side better. See'ya on the streets of Waterdeep.

No offense to the posters referred to, but I did get a sense that things were starting to get a bit personal here...

Don't do that mate - I disagree with you on almost everything , but this has been one of the most lively substantial threads in a long time, and very enlightening, too, if only for some insights provided by THO and others.

It's editon-neutral, it's "fluff" rather than crunch - what more could you wish for on a Realms discussion forum?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  00:57:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay, since it seems like we're heading into terrain that might be fraught with difficulty, I think it might be time for all involved to take a break from this scroll, so I'm temporarily sealing it for the rest of the week.

We'll review the possibility of reopening it then.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 05 May 2010 00:58:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000