Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What happened to MarkusTay?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  03:22:06  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I haven't been here in sometime, but it feels like neither has the awesome cartographer of the Realms, MarkusTay, either. Has something happened to him? I haven't seen a map update or new map in a long period of time. There were some maps I'd like to request.

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  04:00:26  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THe 4E realms took a toll on many members of the community. I think Markus is in that lot. I was also a fellow cartographer that kind of took a dive and is slowly loosing interest after 25 years as a follower.

But i'm sure Markus will stop by to expose his reasons himself.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com

Edited by - Patrakis on 07 Apr 2010 02:26:15
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  04:36:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus last visited these halls back in December. I've not seen or heard from him since that time.

I don't frequent the Wizards boards as much as I used to. Has he been active over there at all?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  05:03:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope. Last I heard he is more focused on his homebrew. I sent him a PM in December when he was last here. No response. So I guess he would like to be left alone. So I will respect his wishes. I do miss his wit.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  05:44:56  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, he also hasn't updated his maps on DeviantArt since last July.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  07:27:57  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as his maps, he expressed a concern that anything he produced might be used by WotC uncredited IIRC, and so removed anything he didn't consider public domain. I, too miss his 'wit and wisdom'. Of anyone is in contact with him please convey to him that he's missed here.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  12:56:58  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I miss seeing new maps by Markus

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  00:12:26  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As do I... I still hope that he will complete the last corners of Kara-Tur and Zakhara on his mega-map, then provide it to Alaundo for hosting at the 'Keep... but that hope is fading steadily.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  16:51:31  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jakk - I'm working on it. I wouldn't try to step on Markus' toes if it weren't apparent to me that there will be no more work coming from him. But I'm putting together a master Toril map from every available source, and it's going pretty fast. I expect to have something done before the end of summer. The style will be similar to the Zakhara and Chult maps I posted earlier.

I hope that will suffice, or at least help to fill the void left after Markus' departure from the scene.

-Rob

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  18:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering how much I love your Zakhara map, I'm eagerly looking forward to this one.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 08 Apr 2010 18:36:12
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  19:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I know usually just lurk anymore unless there is a 3.5/PFRPG rules or pre-4e lore related question I think I can help with.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 08 Apr 2010 19:09:20
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  21:37:40  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Considering how much I love your Zakhara map, I'm eagerly looking forward to this one.

Unfortunately that one is out of date now, as I have found a really good source detailing the "Yikarian Empire" in the land of the Yak-Men that contains a bunch of new placenames. They're going on the new version though.

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  22:12:19  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to seeing the latest version then. What's the new source? I'm thinking of maybe starting a Zakhara campaign for my group, and it could come in really handy.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  14:26:33  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I look forward to seeing the latest version then. What's the new source? I'm thinking of maybe starting a Zakhara campaign for my group, and it could come in really handy.

It's "Lands of the Yak-Men," by Wolfgang Baur, in Dragon Magazine #241. It's a pretty good article - rather amazing that it wasn't included in any of the Al-Qadim products.

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  14:30:59  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A shame to lose someone such as he. I enjoyed his contributions...
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2010 :  01:58:27  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Gryphon... still, I am intrigued by HandsomeRob's project.

Rob: Good news! I love the cartography on the Zakhara map, btw! And (the big question) are you using 1E/2E or 3E geography? My guess (and, to some extent, hope) is that you're using 1E/2E geography; almost all the big maps (with the exception of Dragon magazine's four-part enlargement of the 3E FRCS map) are from 1E/2E, and it's less messy to add in Kara-Tur and Zakhara that way.

Funny how a scroll about MarkusTay inevitably becomes a scroll about Realms cartography... I think his mapping skills may have overshadowed some of his other talents; his Realmslore contributions and questions were always profound and thought-provoking, even in Ed's estimation from what I've read in those earlier scrolls.

Anyway, Rob, I look forward to seeing your work on the rest of the Realms, and I know this is a tall order, but I hope it to be as detailed and location-rich as MT's map promised to be. I'll try to be patient...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  14:34:37  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My project is conceptually nothing more than an extension of MarkusTay's work. I've based everything I could off the work he's already done, and just patched in the missing areas and changed the style a bit. So the geography should be compatible with 1E/2E - although I've included a great deal of 3E-era information as well.

The Dragon Magazine 4-part map is one of the few sources I don't currently have access to. Are there a lot of places on it that can't be found elsewhere?

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  03:28:37  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Yeah, I know usually just lurk anymore unless there is a 3.5/PFRPG rules or pre-4e lore related question I think I can help with.

+1

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  03:38:28  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
does anyone have markus email, we were gonna start a huge project together involving sossal

handsome rob, when you are ready to make a Cold Lands/Bloodstone Lands map, PM me, i have a gigantic outline of all the mappable places in those countries, all canon but many not found on many of the main maps

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  03:59:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HandsomeRob

My project is conceptually nothing more than an extension of MarkusTay's work. I've based everything I could off the work he's already done, and just patched in the missing areas and changed the style a bit. So the geography should be compatible with 1E/2E - although I've included a great deal of 3E-era information as well.

The Dragon Magazine 4-part map is one of the few sources I don't currently have access to. Are there a lot of places on it that can't be found elsewhere?

-Rob

Sadly, no; it's essentially just an enlargement of the FRCS map. The greatest single source for places not on other maps is probably the Forgotten Realms Atlas by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad. I expect that it's out of print, but it's probably available at places like nobleknightgames.com and other used/OOP resellers. The Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas is also a good source, if you can find it, and I believe it's rather pricey at the best of times.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  04:14:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Sadly, no; it's essentially just an enlargement of the FRCS map. The greatest single source for places not on other maps is probably the Forgotten Realms Atlas by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad. I expect that it's out of print, but it's probably available at places like nobleknightgames.com and other used/OOP resellers.

It's been out of print for a very long time -- it was out of print when I got my first copy in the mid 90's.

I see it on eBay from time to time, usually at a reasonable price.

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

The Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas is also a good source, if you can find it, and I believe it's rather pricey at the best of times.

It was a great bit of software that they unfortunately decided to sell before PCs were widespread enough to support the market. It was '98 or '99 when I got my copy on the cheap from the Mail Order Hobby Shop. I think that if they'd waited until 2000 or so to release the software, it would have sold much better.

I see it on eBay from time to time, as well -- almost always for prices that make me glad I'm not trying to buy it!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  14:31:06  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JakkThe greatest single source for places not on other maps is probably the Forgotten Realms Atlas by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad. I expect that it's out of print, but it's probably available at places like nobleknightgames.com and other used/OOP resellers. The Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas is also a good source, if you can find it, and I believe it's rather pricey at the best of times.

I happen to have both of those, but thanks anyway!
-Rob

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  21:40:44  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Rob

Good to hear; it means you don't need to go through the ordeal of finding them.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  20:03:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bump...Markustay sighting today.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  21:16:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by JakkThe greatest single source for places not on other maps is probably the Forgotten Realms Atlas by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad. I expect that it's out of print, but it's probably available at places like nobleknightgames.com and other used/OOP resellers. The Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas is also a good source, if you can find it, and I believe it's rather pricey at the best of times.

-Rob

There are things in that Atlas that show up nowhere else, like the lake in the Trollmoor. Ed said those maps were taken directly from his own originals, and represent THE most accurate set of maps in regards to his original Realms. I use that source to correct any discrepancies between the various edition maps. It is the 'final say', always.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  21:19:25  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is this the Where is Waldo scroll now?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  23:27:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its good to see the "face" of the fella.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  23:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MarkusTay! It's wonderful to see you in these fine halls. Sit and stay awhile, it's so nice to see you again!

Perhaps we'll talk geography with HandsomeRob for Osse, if you have a few minutes to devote?

Steve

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  01:02:29  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a real honor to have Markustay back in the hallowed Halls of Candlekeep

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  01:17:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Markustay.

You've indeed been missed.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  08:23:14  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to see you back.

Said the man of many words.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000