Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How a child of a drow and an elf would look like?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  14:26:07  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm curious: how a child of a drow and a surface elf would look like? Will he be a drow? Or a surface elf? Or a kind of hybrid?

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  15:00:55  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would have a dark skin color. I don't know about its size because drow a usually a bit smaller than other elves...
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  15:21:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
50% chance it would be full-blooded drow/50% chance surface elf.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  15:28:01  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? In Evermeet - Island of the elves it says something diffrent:
quote:

And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  15:32:32  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... I forgot about that. I was going off basic genetics and the fact that the races don't mix (in the effect that if a Sun Elf and Moon Elf had a child, they'd either be Sun Elf or Moon Elf not 'half').

Perhaps this is a question for Ed or another learned master as to the nature of elven 'race' traits and whether certain subraces are genetically dominant.

(Dear me, I hope this thread doesn't go down some vile racial/rascism path)

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  15:54:53  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the source of this statement was a bit racist itself because Ka'Narlist said it. So maybe it isn't true but just propaganda.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  16:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on why you are asking. If you want the game mechanic for how such things are considered, then Ashe is correct (one or the other, but not both). If you are going for something less crunch oriented, then I'd go for a 50/50 mix with darker skin tones than the surface elf parent and a light hair color, because genetics works that way.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  19:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

Really? In Evermeet - Island of the elves it says something diffrent:
quote:

And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent.

Not only in Evermeet, but also in other books by Elaine Cunningham. Daughter of the Drow has this idea too. And I think it was mentioned in Races of Faerun too.
That would probably influence the mechanics. But you are free to do whatever regarding crunch. BTW some drow are said to have faerie elf blood in their veins (there was something about eye color?)

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  23:09:10  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If what I remember from the epilogue of The Orc King is correct, the one dark elf that's accepted by the Moon Wood elves has a few kids with a surface elf and they were either drow or elf, not a mixture of both (at least that's what I inferred for game-statistics).
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  23:25:11  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

50% chance it would be full-blooded drow/50% chance surface elf.
That is not true in the case of a dominant gene. Then you have %75 of the offspring that carry it, and %25 that do not (if I remember my biology correctly). And in Elaine's books this was clearly the case. Also, seeing how RAS (IIRC) is highly dependent on the WotC editors to catch any conflicts he might create in his writing, I do not use him as the ruler to rule cannon by anymore. But as to prior lore taken from the sources given above (all of which I own, and have read), an extremely high percent of drow/elf offspring result in at least drow coloring.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  01:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

If what I remember from the epilogue of The Orc King is correct, the one dark elf that's accepted by the Moon Wood elves has a few kids with a surface elf and they were either drow or elf, not a mixture of both (at least that's what I inferred for game-statistics).

Well, I always figured the game stats were more for ability scores special attacks and what not... but not appearance. Also, "taking after the dark elf parent" makes a lot more sense if one is talking about appearance, but not game stats. The phrase would also indicate that genetically, the darker skin tone is more dominant.

And Hawkins is correct as well. If we infer that the genes for darker skin tones are dominant in elves, then to hyper-simplify the table of potential genotypes (to put it very, very mildly) you have a 25% chance of getting the recessive pale skin color. However the way the table works is that there's a 25% chance of a full dominant expression, a 50% chance of a heterozygous gene expression (which will outwardly look like a dominant expression), and a 25% chance of a fully recessive gene expression.

Incidentally, there wasn't anything about what To'sun and Sinnafain's children looked like... just that they exist.

EDIT: I almost forgot, in the real world, children with parents that have different skin colors tend to have skin tones in between those of the parents. Like I said earlier, the genetics involved are really complicated.

Edited by - Lady Fellshot on 04 May 2010 01:41:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  03:09:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is at least one half-drow in the Realms, however, who doesn't look a thing like drow -- she looks like a regular half-elf. A very lovely half-elf, but just a "regular" half-elf, nonetheless. I speak of course of the lovely Kyriani, Lord of Waterdeep, Moonstar, owner of Selūne's Smile, and close friend of Selūne. She was also a Blackstaff, sometime before the 4E Realms.

Yes, I still remain her second biggest fan. I can't claim to be her biggest fan, though, since Steven put her in a novel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  04:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm... I forgot about that. I was going off basic genetics and the fact that the races don't mix (in the effect that if a Sun Elf and Moon Elf had a child, they'd either be Sun Elf or Moon Elf not 'half').

Perhaps this is a question for Ed or another learned master as to the nature of elven 'race' traits and whether certain subraces are genetically dominant.

You must be using a version of "basic genetics" which is not supported by scientific literature. Please note, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of "races". Your fantasy mileage may vary, of course.

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  04:10:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another example of half-drow [though, not of the elven/drow pairing]... are the half-drow of Dambrath.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  04:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but they are all of noble house blood, so chance of their alignment being good is 25%, or so I think.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  05:23:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Yes, but they are all of noble house blood, so chance of their alignment being good is 25%, or so I think.

Actually, the Crinti only formed about 10% of Dambrath's population, as I recall. There were half-drow who made up the middle-class as well.

Edited by - The Sage on 04 May 2010 05:24:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  05:24:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brace Cormaeril

quote:

You must be using a version of "basic genetics" which is not supported by scientific literature. Please note, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of "races". Your fantasy mileage may vary, of course.

Scientific evidence doesn't support magic, either, and it does support functioning electronics. Since we've got plenty of the former and none of the latter in the Realms, I think it's safe to say we can stick to game rules, for this discussion.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  06:11:58  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Scientific evidence doesn't support magic, either, and it does support functioning electronics. Since we've got plenty of the former and none of the latter in the Realms, I think it's safe to say we can stick to game rules, for this discussion.

Then I should hope that, in the future, when a scribe is presented with a direct quote from a canon source, they will not attempt to justify a previous argument with a pseudo-scientific response which was antiquated in the real world 50 years ago.
Please excuse the thread drift, but when erroneous, blanket statements are made, without even a hedge word, I feel it is important to correct the offender.
Scientific evidence doesn't support falsehood, but it does support scholarly accountability. Since we have plenty of the latter, and little of the former here at Candlekeep, I agree that we should stick to game rules for this discussion.

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  06:14:20  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Actually, the Crinti only formed about 10% of Dambrath's population, as I recall. There were half-drow who made up the middle-class as well.

If I remember correctly, Races of the Faerun told that humans, being a majority of population, are oppressed by the ruling drow houses in Dambrath.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  06:21:37  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

*realizes that she's about to say something really snarky*
*the good manners gags the snarky side*

Well, to be fair, the original poster did not specify if this was in relation to game rules or the novels (which may ignore certain rules if it becomes narratively necessary to do so). I think hybrids are more fun from a fluff standpoint.

It did just occur to me that the "one or the other but not both" rule might be fluff explained by which parent did the child rearing, but that would contradict the "inherently evil" non-....

*re-gags the snarky side*
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  06:25:26  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the theory of no-crossing is supported by fact of millennium isolation of drow. Now, all the bridges are broken.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  07:05:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

If I remember correctly, Races of the Faerun told that humans, being a majority of population, are oppressed by the ruling drow houses in Dambrath.

Yes. But previous sources also noted half-drow among the middle-class. And I don't recall that being ignored in any 3e Realmslore pertaining to Dambrath.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  13:46:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Then I should hope that, in the future, when a scribe is presented with a direct quote from a canon source, they will not attempt to justify a previous argument with a pseudo-scientific response which was antiquated in the real world 50 years ago.
Please excuse the thread drift, but when erroneous, blanket statements are made, without even a hedge word, I feel it is important to correct the offender.
Scientific evidence doesn't support falsehood, but it does support scholarly accountability. Since we have plenty of the latter, and little of the former here at Candlekeep, I agree that we should stick to game rules for this discussion.

Sorry 'bout that. Forgot to carry the two.

(penguins pop back into existence)

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000