Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  08:21:46  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO and/or others,

In Realmslore: Moon Doors of Silverymoon, Part Two, Ed speaks of a "blackstick" being provided with a "scrip" for callers to the mentioned premises. From the context, I assume it is something like artist's charcoal, or perhaps a sharpened stick with just the sharp end charred, used to write on the provided "scrip" with, but I would like confirmation and/or clarification of the word. I do have a definition for "scip" already, so that is not part of my query.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  18:31:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Kyrene! This query I can answer from Ed's extensive notes: a blackstick is indeed a sharpened-and-charred-one-end stick that works rather like a grease pencil (due to the nature of the Realmsian wood used, the branches of the juniper-like ground shrub thordren, which is very resinous/"oily")...it can be-charred and re-used easily and swiftly until all "used up."
BTW, there are TWO meanings of scrip (both echoed in real-world archaic English): a pouch or satchel depending from the belt, used like a purse to hold various items, and (the one here) a writing surface, usually a "scrap" or of irregular size, usually parchment, but sometimes linen or boiled treebark or other substances (like rag pulp "paper").
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  18:38:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This from Ed on the meridian:

Kentinal has the right of it. When the "system" was disseminated widely among the intelligent surface-dwelling races, Myth Drannor was used because it was a common reference point for most of those races (that is, a city they all dwelt in or traded with, and thus "knew" where it was). The city was PROPOSED because it represented a shining example of cooperation among the races, yes.

So saith Ed. Creator of...blah blah blah.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 May 2010 18:39:42
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  18:41:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
createvmind, I concur with Zandilar re. curing conditions a character was born with, IF the right spell (or the right wording of the incantation) is used. This comes from Realmsplay experience with Ed as DM.
Of course, your queries have been sent to him for a "proper Ed reply in the fullness of time."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  19:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
If you're into scrips, definitely check out the Cadfael mystery Mook's Hood, where scrips (the pouch type) play a crucial role in the murder mystery. It's a good series overall for rural England during the succession wars of the 1100's; I wonder, has Ed read them? And if so, what does he think?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  19:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, Kyrene! This query I can answer from Ed's extensive notes: a blackstick is indeed a sharpened-and-charred-one-end stick that works rather like a grease pencil (due to the nature of the Realmsian wood used, the branches of the juniper-like ground shrub thordren, which is very resinous/"oily")...it can be-charred and re-used easily and swiftly until all "used up."
BTW, there are TWO meanings of scrip (both echoed in real-world archaic English): a pouch or satchel depending from the belt, used like a purse to hold various items, and (the one here) a writing surface, usually a "scrap" or of irregular size, usually parchment, but sometimes linen or boiled treebark or other substances (like rag pulp "paper").
love,
THO

And some crazed-wits wonder why we love and adore you and Ed so... My thanks for a swift, voluptuous and all-revealing response above and below what I’d asked for.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  19:57:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You're VERY welcome, Kyrene.
And, yes, Hoondatha, Ed and I have both read and re-read the Cadfael books, many times. Solid faves for both of us (Ed used to preorder them and present me with a copy of each new one, as it came out), and Pargeter ("Peters") is sadly missed.
Great books. I wish I could say the same for most of her imitators.
Sigh.
love,
THO
P.S. Ed even made a trip to Shrewsbury to see her, but left it too late: she was already in the assisted-care housing she never came out of (her last days were pretty grim; she got gangrene in one leg and it had to be amputated).

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 May 2010 20:01:22
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  23:58:35  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Good to hear from other Cadfael fans. I discovered them in early high school and have been rereading them ever since, and they continue to have an honored spot on my bookcase. They're great for a lot of reasons, not the least of which because they deal with a part of English history that (at least in the States) really isn't touched on in school. I know a part of why she wrote the books was to introduce people to the place she loved and a time that gets overshadowed, and think she did a great job. I'm sorry Ed missed a chance to speak with her.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  01:24:18  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  05:51:41  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
It just occurred to me that we haven't seen Garen Thal around the 'Keep lately... I thought that Ed might be the best one to ask as to the whereabouts of Brian Cortijo these days. Is he just really busy with other projects (Golarion, perhaps?), or is there a less pleasant reason for his absence? Hopefully the former...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  06:03:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

It just occurred to me that we haven't seen Garen Thal around the 'Keep lately... I thought that Ed might be the best one to ask as to the whereabouts of Brian Cortijo these days. Is he just really busy with other projects (Golarion, perhaps?), or is there a less pleasant reason for his absence? Hopefully the former...

You might want check out his Facebook page, since he tends to update it every so often.

Plus, I'd imagine he's busy with other stuff today... considering it is his birthday!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  09:06:21  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

You're VERY welcome, Kyrene.
And, yes, Hoondatha, Ed and I have both read and re-read the Cadfael books, many times. Solid faves for both of us (Ed used to preorder them and present me with a copy of each new one, as it came out), and Pargeter ("Peters") is sadly missed.
Great books. I wish I could say the same for most of her imitators.
Sigh.
love,
THO
P.S. Ed even made a trip to Shrewsbury to see her, but left it too late: she was already in the assisted-care housing she never came out of (her last days were pretty grim; she got gangrene in one leg and it had to be amputated).

So did you or Ed read her "contemporary" novel set in the same town as Cadfael's monastery? (For a generous definition of contemporary, it takes place in the early 60s if I remember the details arightly).

And I'd propose Lindsey Davis as a more than adequate successor.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  16:27:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Kajehase, Ed and I have ready about sixty of Pargeter's contemporary novels, from her Felse mysteries (more titles in that series than in Cadfael's saga) to her wartime books, and many of them involve scenes in or around Shrewsbury. (So, heh, I'm not sure which particular novel you mean.) She never married (her love went off to World War II and never made it back) and was a highly-respected translator of Czech writings of all sorts into English. I should mention that Ed and his wife did their own "wander all over the landscape" tour to find most of the places mentioned in the books, or their sites (the castle was "made over" as a mansion in the 17th century, the spot where all the defenders of the castle fell after they were cut down post-hanging in ONE CORPSE TOO MANY is the local railway yard, the Abbey is entirely gone except for its parish church, that stands in a triangle of busy roads, one of which is, yes, the Abbey Foregate, Cadfael's little hut and the fields around it down to the Meole Brook are a fenced-off parking lot for a local trucking company . . . and so on).
Lindsey Davis's books are fine, but I was speaking in the narrower sense of eyeing "England in about the same time period" books (rather than the Roman Empire settings that most of Davis's bestsellers are set in). Which means P.C. Doherty predominates, under several pseudonyms, and whereas some of those are engaging tales, most are hastily written and "jar the reader's ear" re. capturing medieval feel (Doherty is better in later historical periods). There are some worthy reads, though (Michael Jacks, etc.). Also, short fiction of quality abounds (some of which can be easily found by picking up any of the series of fat mystery anthologies like THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF HISTORICAL WHODUNITS and its many sequels).
However, I should stop myself before digressing TOO much in Ed's thread. After all, I've never been known to digress before, and a gal has a reputation to maintain . . .

Jakk, I understand from Ed that Garen Thal/Brian Cortijo has been VERY busy this year with both writing and real-world matters (Brian just e-mailed Ed, but anyone who bends an eye in Paizo's direction will see some of Brian's flood of output). I know that Brian loves the Realms and aches to get to work on it (he did a LOT of work on the Royal Lineage of Cormyr, and the shape, scope, and depth of the current document is largely his doing, though of course Ed, Eric Boyd, George Krashos, Grant Christie, Bryon Wischstadt, Tom Costa, and many others have done yeoman work on it, too), particularly Cormyr, but WotC opportunities have been few . . .

love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  16:39:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Snowblood, in partial response to one of your queries from a few months back (Page 22 or so of this thread): "Dear Ed & THO, across the river Lis from Cormanthor, where the Flooded Forest now is, what was the name of the Elven Kingdom there???? Who were the rulers and what happened to them?"
I just unearthed this, from my campaign notes (derived from playing as a Knight, with Ed as DM):

Ralinthus says Aerlothlan was a family that fled from lost Lisenar after strife with other Lisen families that involved an infamous aerial spellbattle; a magic item exploded in midair when its wielder was hit by a spell, and rained down fire and wild magic that harmed many others; all the families involved were cast out.

"Ralinthus" was a sage in Elventree, but some of what he told us on various occasions was later discovered to be not just inaccurate, but either fabrications on his part or lies he repeated when he must have known they were falsehoods. "Some," I said, so what he said to us about the Aerlothlans may be true . . . or not. We DID manage to corroborate with other sources about the aerial spellbattle with the midair explosion, but those other sources were very vague about who was involved, why the battle took place, and what the aftermath was.

So saith me, drawing on Ed. Ever-more Realmslore...
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  18:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I'd imagine he's busy with other stuff today... considering it is his birthday!
'Tis true. I am officially old today.

quote:
Jakk, I understand from Ed that Garen Thal/Brian Cortijo has been VERY busy this year with both writing and real-world matters (Brian just e-mailed Ed, but anyone who bends an eye in Paizo's direction will see some of Brian's flood of output). I know that Brian loves the Realms and aches to get to work on it (he did a LOT of work on the Royal Lineage of Cormyr, and the shape, scope, and depth of the current document is largely his doing, though of course Ed, Eric Boyd, George Krashos, Grant Christie, Bryon Wischstadt, Tom Costa, and many others have done yeoman work on it, too), particularly Cormyr, but WotC opportunities have been few . . .
While I wouldn't call my recent output a 'flood,' exactly, there has been some Paizo work taking up my time, along with a bit of busier-than-normal time out in the real world, limiting my visits to fictional locales (Faerûn and Golarion, mostly, but also mythical places like Brooklyn) to that for which I can get paid.

Our Hooded Lady is, as usual, spot on about both my desire to work with and in the Realms, especially the Forest Kingdom. She knows me well. And, of course, about lineage of the Lineage.

I'll led have his thread back, now. But I'm here, of a sort.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  21:37:28  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I'd imagine he's busy with other stuff today... considering it is his birthday!
'Tis true. I am officially old today.

I'll led have his thread back, now. But I'm here, of a sort.

as in it yer birthday??? happy birthday then.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  21:42:00  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

<chop>

love to all,
THO

Ahh... the Cormyr Lineage... 'twould be a serious crime to leave that locked up... I've earlier presented my arguments for publication, most (if not all) of which I'm sure Ed has already thought of. Lore should be for the players, but it doesn't get to the players without being stripped of NDAs and published.

I would be perfectly happy to sign the NDAs myself and do the work free of charge to pretty up the formatting of the Lineage for PDF-format publication, as I know that Ed and Brian are very busy and I can't see WotC sparing time in their product schedule for it (it being almost entirely lore and completely devoid of mechanics... which is probably why they're in no great hurry to see it into print).

Anyway, there's my offer of assistance in the matter. Not that it will do much good, I suspect...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  03:22:46  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Hello again! I was hoping that Mr. Greenwood could tell us something (anything, really ) about the Red Knight, and her life as a mortal on Faerun. I'd be interested to know anything, like I said. Her name, date of birth, if she had anyone special as a mortal, age when she was transformed into a deity, the name of her pegasus she was riding in Grand History of the Realms, or even the name of the armor or weaponsmith that created her gear for her. I always wanted to know more about her, and hope you're able to tell us a few things, please. Also, I always thought that she and Torm would kind of hit it off rather well as a celestial couple. Did the two of them ever spend time together, or have discussions on anything like that? I realize that's a lot, but I'm hoping something I asked will be allowed to slip through the NDA, or that some special phrasing on my part or someone elses, might let a few things through. Thank you, and as always, I appreciate your time Lady THO and Mr. Greenwood.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  03:50:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
I found and bought a signed copy(Ed and Troy) of Death of the Dragon today at the FLGS!

I wanted share that with you guys, and gals!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 20 May 2010 03:52:21
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  04:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I found and bought a signed copy(Ed and Troy) of Death of the Dragon today at the FLGS!

Congratulations, and great find!!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  04:23:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I has serious jealousy... Awesome!

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  04:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hey, don't forget, scribes: if you bring what you want signed to GenCon, Ed is always happy to oblige.
In the old days, before he got so swamped with requests, he often wrote errata into the books he was signing, added lore in the margins, and even did sketches.
I've got several of the results, and I'm not selling nor trading, no way.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  09:35:57  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message
Greetings Lady THO and Mr.Greenwood!

A big thanks from me and my party for all the effort you put to make the Realms the de facto place for our RP-adventures!

Last week one of my players created a new character, a Gold elf with an Evermeet Navy background. What i seek is lore and information about the Queen's Navy, perhaps ranks, ships and/or important npcs (?)

Attention! Captain on the Bridge!

PS:(do the elves have a special word for captain?)

EDIT: Since the above question is reffered for the years 1372-1375 (after the Invasion)

My request for realmslore was posted here at first:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13661

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 20 May 2010 09:41:19
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  12:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Hello again! I was hoping that Mr. Greenwood could tell us something (anything, really ) about the Red Knight, and her life as a mortal on Faerun. I'd be interested to know anything, like I said. Her name, date of birth, if she had anyone special as a mortal, age when she was transformed into a deity, the name of her pegasus she was riding in Grand History of the Realms, or even the name of the armor or weaponsmith that created her gear for her. I always wanted to know more about her, and hope you're able to tell us a few things, please. Also, I always thought that she and Torm would kind of hit it off rather well as a celestial couple. Did the two of them ever spend time together, or have discussions on anything like that? I realize that's a lot, but I'm hoping something I asked will be allowed to slip through the NDA, or that some special phrasing on my part or someone elses, might let a few things through. Thank you, and as always, I appreciate your time Lady THO and Mr. Greenwood.

Great questions! I'd love to learn more about Red Knight myself, so your questions are seconded here.

I'm not sure where it was, probably Powers and Pantheons, in the Red Knight's entry, but it was kind of implied that the two were cautiously courting, and if not that then that they definitely got along well. I'd have to go have a dig around in my books to see if I can find a quote, though.

As a DM I'd probably resist "hooking them up" in my Realms. Romantic relationships between deities seem to be the exception, rather than the rule (and also tend to end in disaster - Lathander and Tyche anyone? Mystra and Kelemvor? Oh and Lathander and Chauntea also, since Lathander's "ascension" was also his demise), and I'd just follow that trend. (And I imagine the Red Knight is a big old dyke anyway. ;) Oh yes, even I fall prey to using stereotypes! I am so ashamed... *blush*)

As for the rest of your questions, I suspect you'd going to find great adamantium walls of an NDA rising around the answers. (It seems to me that NDAs cover the bulk of lore about the entire world of Abeir-Toril, what we as scribes here are privileged to consume is just the tiniest sliver of the most delicious chocolate cake in all of history. )

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  16:59:44  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message
quote:

Hi again!
Caolin, re. this: "But, I would make it so that those who learned magic without the Weave would still be free to use their Weaveless magic."
Over several years and editions of the game, in discussions with Ed (and hearing him in GenCon seminars with TSR and later WotC designers) I think this will always be the case. As in: the Weave was only ever one way of accessing the nature forces and energies of the world, and there were other, less popular magical systems that functioned as well as the Weave. To arcane spellcasters, the Weave IS magic, but it's really a way of understanding (and therefore accessing) the infinitely complex weave of interacting energies. There are other ways.
So, yes, warlocks and sorcerers and others wouldn't "lose their powers" if the Weave was refounded.

Some interesting stuff right here! This has got me wondering, if a character in the 4e timeline was to travel back in time using the rules from the Arcane Age source books, could those characters still cast their 4e spells in a pre Spellplague time period? With Mystra "gone", would those rules on Time Travel even still apply post Spellplague?
Thank you Ed and THO for any insights you may provide.

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  17:36:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Joran, Ed has your questions and is working on dodging NDAs to give you whatever lore replies he can. Thus far, this tiny smidgin has squirted out:

The name of Red Knight's pegasus mount seen in THE GRAND HISTORY OF THE REALMS is Valorvyr.

So saith Ed. Who will provide more as he can, he promises. I can add this much: yes, Red Knight and Torm ARE close friends, and often work together. (I can't go so far as to venture opinions on romance. By "close" friends, I mean deep and many-times-proven mutual trust, the ease of being completely open and candid, and caring for each other's feelings, aims, views, and preferences.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  18:50:05  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all!
Joran, Ed has your questions and is working on dodging NDAs to give you whatever lore replies he can. Thus far, this tiny smidgin has squirted out:

The name of Red Knight's pegasus mount seen in THE GRAND HISTORY OF THE REALMS is Valorvyr.

So saith Ed. Who will provide more as he can, he promises. I can add this much: yes, Red Knight and Torm ARE close friends, and often work together. (I can't go so far as to venture opinions on romance. By "close" friends, I mean deep and many-times-proven mutual trust, the ease of being completely open and candid, and caring for each other's feelings, aims, views, and preferences.)
love to all,
THO

So Red Knight and Torm would more likely be FWBs?

(just to clarify, Red Knight is a personal fav and I'm not trying to "sex" anything up in here)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  18:52:50  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Ed, I've been thinking about Azoun a bit lately, and I dug up this old post of mine from another discussion:

There are two things about Azoun's children that has always vexed me for some reason. First is the illegitimate vs legitimate thing. I don't like those terms at all! He's their father, whether or not some priest has said some mumbo-jumbo to him and his child's mother in a ceremony, and using different terms for his children depending on which group they fall into makes me snarl.
The second thing is related. Azoun merrily goes around fathering children and then has nothing to do with their upbringing. Oh well, I guess I just can't stand irresponsible parents.

What is your opinion on how he treats his many children? I think that if I was one of his kids whose mother was a farmer I would be rather bitter about how my dad sired me and then never got involved in my life, and how my sisters are princesses and "legitimate", whereas I am not simply because a priest didn't babble some nonsense in front of my father and my mother (I'm talking about marriage, obviously).

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  20:17:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
khorne, the "legitimate" versus "illegitimate" label is entirely a political thing, that heralds and nobles pay great attention to, courtiers seek advice about, and everyone else pretty much ignores. It's purely "is this offspring in the line of succession to the Dragon Throne, and if so, where?" (So if the immediate Obarskyr royal family are all killed or held captive, and someone is looking to put a replacement on the throne, where does this person "stand" in the eyes of the nobles and heralds (older bastards before younger, of course, but my point is, that's the game being played here . . . and NOT by Azoun or Filfaeril. Tanalasta might well play it, but not Alusair.

As for "nothing to do with their upbringing," that's not always true. Azoun has some offspring he doesn't even know of the existence of, and therefore, yes, he has nothing to do with their upbringing except in the distant sense of being the "guy who sets the laws and tone of the country they're born and raised in" (there's no evidence at all of Azoun tomcatting outside Cormyr).
However, Ed has during Realmsplay featured many, many illegitimate offspring of Azoun that he knows about, has quietly sponsored as apprentices or given jobs to, introduced to possible employers, sent rescuers after when they got into trouble in Sembia and the Dales, and so on. He DOES (through agents and courtiers) keep an eye on his offspring, but "is a part of their lives" only as much as they want him to be (or, when they're young, their mothers/parents want him to be). There ARE bastards who are happily employed as courtiers in the Royal Court or the Royal Palace, that Azoun sees either daily or often (at least, in Ed's "home" realms there are, and except when stated otherwise in print, the published Realms match Ed's Realms).
However, your questions are (heh; forgive me) legitimate ones, and off they go to Ed for proper answers.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  20:23:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention: we get glimpses of some of Azoun's at-court and prominent bastard offspring in (a pair, I believe) of Ed's later Realmslore columns.
Linky, anyone?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000