Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  03:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
When you say "approach to Waterdeep" how close do you mean?
I ask because several lore sources speak of the land immediately around the city being kept as open meadows for caravans to camp/assemble/disassemble, and for the nobles to hawk in, and citizens to walk and eat (picnic) lunches in (see the CITY OF SPLENDORS novel, the Environs of Waterdeep DRAGON article, VOLO'S GUIDE TO THE SWORD COAST, and Ed's "New Adventures of Volo" column in DRAGON, specifically the instalment about the maid they chase).
We know that a day's ride out from the walls that there are villages and hamlets on the roads (with stables for Waterdeep's patrols to secure remounts in) and that from there outwards there are indeed noble "country holds," usually centered around a walled mansion or keep. And yes, it's verdant farmland/grassland (ranching land).
I very much doubt Waterdeep is going to welcome strangers arriving and building full-sized castles anywhere near the city, though...and castles take a LONG time to build, so they'll have ample opportunity to halt construction or just have Watchful Order magists blast the a-building stonework to rubble (again and again, until the builder gets the message).
I'm not trying to horn in and speak for THO or Ed here, it's just that this is a topic that came up repeatedly at GenCon seminars (I'm thinking a lot of players wanted to establish "adventurers' bases" for their PCs outside the city's reach, for Waterdeep-focused campaigns), and I've heard Ed give answers to it many a time...hence all the stuff I've said above.
So, as Ed would say, hope this is of help.
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 05 May 2010 03:05:28
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  15:32:14  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

That's correct, and in the years between the end of THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS and the beginning of SPELLFIRE, the Knights arrived at the Old Skull Inn, chatted with the staff, got jumped by Zhent undercover agents (who'd been in the taproom) that night in their rooms, survived, claimed the Twisted Tower (which involved fighting Zhents and drow through it, and cleansing it, then delving into the cellars and down into the drow-infested caverns and tunnels connected to the cellars), and tried to settle down to ruling Shadowdale. Which meant winning over a frightened, Zhent-harrassed, surly populace, fighting off three Zhent armed forays from Voonlar (and then carrying the fight to the Zhents in Voonlar), establishing laws and local constables and a militia, doing a census (results of which are in the original "Old Grey Box" Realms boxed set), uncovering a were-creature that was murdering villagers as part of that census, then having all sorts of adventures (including fighting drow at Castle Grimstead, battling local Zhent agents like Erek the Alchemist [who was using both poison and bombs against Harpers and anyone else hampering Zhent plots], going up against The Temple In The Sky after fighting the giants in the nearby Tower, and finally deciding that Doust should rule as Lord while the rest of the Knights went adventuring, both to curb growing demon and devil troubles emanating from Myth Drannor [where we finally succeeded in closing a gate to the "darker planes" that was letting devils flood into the Realms], and to act as Shadowdale's envoys throughout the Dales. The attempt was to cooperate with Mistledale (sucessful) and other dales (less successful) in fighting off the Zhents. The Zhents were busy (in Yulash and other places) fighting off Hillsfar's growing ambitions, and the Dales were also being pressured by Sembia; interests there were "buying up and moving in" all over the Dales, conquering without armed invasion...and the Knights ended up caught in the middle trying to finesse all of these competing interests.
Then came SPELLFIRE . . .
love to all,
THO

Amazing that they survived all that. The lot I remembered from the books barely escaped being slaughtered more times than I can count.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

224 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  16:18:31  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
quote:

That's correct, and in the years between the end of THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS and the beginning of SPELLFIRE, the Knights ...

Wonderful Hooded Lady I must thank you for the excellent overview of the Knights during that time period.

We all know you as one of Ed's players but just the way you worded your experience there emphasized it so. It was similar in cadence and depth to how my players recount my home realms campaign to friends in passing or at a party.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  17:25:30  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage  Click to see Tyranthraxus's MSN Messenger address Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,

I asked the following question already here in the Keep and the scribes here had some really great ideas, but I was wondering what you have to say about this.

One of the characters in my 4e campaign wants to restore the Weave. How could she accomplish this? Also, how would the surviving chosen (and possibly Larloch) react? And if she was to succeed how would it effect the damage done by the Spellplague.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  17:47:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, you touch upon a matter that has been discussed and even (secretly) designed for...as a hypothetical, you understand. I'm not sure how much Ed will be able to reveal of what's been decided, but I'll forward your question to him.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1978 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  18:18:58  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:

Ah, you touch upon a matter that has been discussed and even (secretly) designed for...as a hypothetical, you understand. I'm not sure how much Ed will be able to reveal of what's been decided, but I'll forward your question to him.
love,
THO

I'll look forward to a possible response, as this seems interesting

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13557 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  19:29:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Might I ask why anyone (in charge) would feel this was such a good idea, when it obviously seemed like such a peachy-keen idea to destroy the weave just 2 years ago?

Are we going back to 'Old Coke' already?

Hated the continuity reboots in comics, but didn't mind so much in Star Trek. Sometimes it can save a franchise, and sometimes it just seems lame. from the Ashes for Greyhawk was just awful, IMHO.

But seeing a reset going back to the date of the old gray box, with new art work (maps!) and someone capable handling the continuity (Krash) would be awesome. You can accomplish both easily enough - Use chronomancy to go back and stop the sundering, thus changing the world (in other words, anything goes), and you get the weave back. 'Brave new World' and reboot to the old gray box date - its a win-win. You keep everything that was good (and worked), and get rid of everything silly (or redundant).

I can dream, can't I?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 May 2010 19:30:26
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2890 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  20:23:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

love,
THO

Might I ask why anyone (in charge) would feel this was such a good idea, when it obviously seemed like such a peachy-keen idea to destroy the weave just 2 years ago?

Are we going back to 'Old Coke' already?

Hated the continuity reboots in comics, but didn't mind so much in Star Trek. Sometimes it can save a franchise, and sometimes it just seems lame. from the Ashes for Greyhawk was just awful, IMHO.

But seeing a reset going back to the date of the old gray box, with new art work (maps!) and someone capable handling the continuity (Krash) would be awesome. You can accomplish both easily enough - Use chronomancy to go back and stop the sundering, thus changing the world (in other words, anything goes), and you get the weave back. 'Brave new World' and reboot to the old gray box date - its a win-win. You keep everything that was good (and worked), and get rid of everything silly (or redundant).

I can dream, can't I?

Dream on bro, dream on...

It could also be that those that had the bright idea to kill Mystra, and destroy the Weave are no-longer at WotC. So those idea's don't have much traction anymore.

Maybe the yearly lay-offs at WotC are a good thing? Just Kidding, no one should lose their job around Christmas, or anytime of the year.

Mystra will be back in time for 5E...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 05 May 2010 20:24:22
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  00:12:52  Show Profile  Send The_Silversword an AOL message Send The_Silversword a Private Message
Personally I hope they dont do a "reboot". One of the things ive always loved about the Realms is that its always changing, like a real world would. I dont like all the changes to 4e Realms obviously, and I think the 100 year time jump was extreme, they could of gone with 10 or something, but things do change and people die, thats life, even in the Realms.

I survived the Great OTTer Purge of 2013 and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1978 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  00:49:03  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
well if they did a reboot, maybe they will leave the 4e realms as a possibility of what may happen.

make for some interesting time traveling adventures

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  00:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

*pounces on the hint of Mystra's return* *puts it in a file marked TWO*

Twice in the last year... Hmmm... this isn't coincidence is it?

I do actually have some questions which fall in the hazy grey area between of 3e and 4e Realms. I'm asking them out of curiosity (and because my current group of now Epic PCs have waded into this up to their hips (or necks... or even over their heads...)).

In 1374 DR, at Midsummer, Sunlord Daelegoth Orndeir casts an Epic spell, Amaunator's Eternal Sun, that causes a false Sun to appear to be forever overhead (as if it were always noon) in Elversult. It seems that this lasts at least until the Spellplague starts, as it is not mentioned again in tGHotR. What happened next? There's about 10ish years between that event and the last date in tGHotR. I can't see that this would be something everyone in Elversult would be pleased with (in fact, I can't see why Yanseldara stood for it at all in the first place!), as not everyone is a fanatic of the Risen Sun Heresy. What kind of effects did this have on the people, the city and surrounds? I can only see it being a complete disaster. The way the spell is described, by the way, implies that the spell created sun sheds heat like the true sun. This means that Elversult effectively has two suns during the day part of the day, since I don't think it blocks the true sun out. I don't think 10 years is long enough for an entire city (people, animals, plants, and all) to properly adapt to that. These things just don't happen overnight... err... wait...

Were there any consequences for the Sunlord personally? How did the general population of Elversult react to the would be converts turning up in their city?

Anyway, another question is: What effects, if any, did the Spellplague have on Amaunator's Eternal Sun?

In my game, which I mentioned above, Yanseldara asked the Epic Level PCs to try to stop the Sunlord's spell, saying she couldn't act openly because of the number of converts in the city in high places, and didn't want to provoke a coup. Next session, the PCs have to work out how to disrupt the spell without killing any innocents, and without implicating Yanseldara in their actions... Wish them luck... (They're as subtle as bulls in a china shop, I must say, so I can only see them killing the Sunlord to end this.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 06 May 2010 01:02:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29992 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  01:05:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

Personally I hope they dont do a "reboot". One of the things ive always loved about the Realms is that its always changing, like a real world would. I dont like all the changes to 4e Realms obviously, and I think the 100 year time jump was extreme, they could of gone with 10 or something, but things do change and people die, thats life, even in the Realms.

I've always liked the fact that the Realms is a dynamic and changing setting, myself, and I certainly don't want to see it become static... But there was plenty of potential for change without going as far as the published setting went. In the earlier days of the published Realms, we had plenty of change without blowing up the setting every other week. WotC could have gone back in that direction, but instead opted for the Hollywood approach, where everything has to be bigger than what came before.

I think a Star Trek-style reboot of the setting could do a lot of great things, but I'm not sure WotC would want to go in that direction.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29992 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  01:06:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

In 1374 DR, at Midsummer, Sunlord Daelegoth Orndeir casts an Epic spell, Amaunator's Eternal Sun, that causes a false Sun to appear to be forever overhead (as if it were always noon) in Elversult. It seems that this lasts at least until the Spellplague starts, as it is not mentioned again in tGHotR. What happened next? There's about 10ish years between that event and the last date in tGHotR. I can't see that this would be something everyone in Elversult would be pleased with (in fact, I can't see why Yanseldara stood for it at all in the first place!), as not everyone is a fanatic of the Risen Sun Heresy. What kind of effects did this have on the people, the city and surrounds? I can only see it being a complete disaster. The way the spell is described, by the way, implies that the spell created sun sheds heat like the true sun. This means that Elversult effectively has two suns during the day part of the day, since I don't think it blocks the true sun out. I don't think 10 years is long enough for an entire city (people, animals, plants, and all) to properly adapt to that. These things just don't happen overnight... err... wait...

I'm curious about that, meself. My first thought, on reading that bit, was to ponder what that would do to the environment.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 May 2010 01:08:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  01:24:42  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Mystra will be back in time for 5E...

Which would tie in nicely with the actual reality of Mystra and her Chosen. As we saw in the "Shadow of the Avatar" books and elsewhere, Mystra's Chosen retain part of her divine power, which is the silver fire [see e.g. The Seven Sisters pg. 6], upon her death, so that Mystra/the Weave can be reconstructed.

Easily explained for 5e. It just took "that long" for the Lady of Mysteries to finally get her act back together.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  01:26:57  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

well if they did a reboot, maybe they will leave the 4e realms as a possibility of what may happen.
Interestingly, this is why the concept of the 4e Realms and the post-Spellplague era don't bother me as much any more. And hasn't for almost a year-and-a-half now. Because, being a long-time Marvel fan, I can appreciate the opportunities that come with the "What-If?" scenario. Thus, I usually interpret the 4e Realms to be a possible example of such a scenario. In this case, "What If Cyric Killed Mystra?"

Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  02:55:05  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Oh, boy. NOW you've got me interested in the Realms again.
Can't wait for Ed's next novel...
Any bets that Mystra will somehow appear? Or be strongly hinted at by some mysterious manifestation, at least?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  04:11:04  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Interestingly, this is why the concept of the 4e Realms and the post-Spellplague era don't bother me as much any more. And hasn't for almost a year-and-a-half now. Because, being a long-time Marvel fan, I can appreciate the opportunities that come with the "What-If?" scenario. Thus, I usually interpret the 4e Realms to be a possible example of such a scenario. In this case, "What If Cyric Killed Mystra?"

Sage, I agree entirely. In my case, when I get back behind the DM screen again, I plan to run the Cormyr-Anauroch-Shadowdale trilogy as a *real* opportunity for the PCs to make a difference and actually prevent the canon Spellplague. There will still be magical chaos resulting from Mystra's battle with Cyric and Shar, which is quickly joined by Azuth and Savras and, on the other side, Velsharoon... and not quite as quickly by Selune... guess which side she takes? In the end, however, the outcome will rest entirely in the hands of the PCs... which, ironically, is the premise that everything was blown up on in the first place. Gee, why was that necessary again?

Edit: Fixed misidentification typo; note to self: don't post when tired.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 06 May 2010 23:12:26
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  04:22:26  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
To keep Ed's scroll Ed's scroll... I'm also curious about these thoughts regarding the restoration of the Weave... and I'm equally aware that Ed likely can't say word one about even the idea of it happening. I would hope that such a development would be handled either as a reboot to the end of the 2E timeline and the Manshoon Wars (or to 1375 and the restoration of Myth Drannor; either one provides plenty of campaign potential), or as a "what if..." scenario such as mentioned by The Sage, in which Ao decides that Cyric has gone far enough, and breaks the rules against major-event-altering chronomancy in Realmspace (they're his rules, after all) and (essentially) also a reboot, but explained in-universe as an exploration of a possible future for Toril.

Ed, I won't ask you for your thoughts on this hypothesis, but I do have a related question: Why (apart from the obvious history-breaking effects) do the Realms have such strong barriers against chronomancy and past-altering magic? I understand the whole idea of the universe being created not necessarily being the same one that the PCs left, and hence creating paradox, but such paradox can always be circumvented with careful planning and well-worded wish magic... Vangerdahast and Nalavara notwithstanding.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  05:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage:
Mystra's Chosen retain part of her divine power, which is the silver fire [see e.g. The Seven Sisters pg. 6], upon her death, so that Mystra/the Weave can be reconstructed.

I've mentioned this on other threads, but I'll say it here as well: Isn't The Srinshee, with all her fifty something levels and more raw magical power than Larloch a Chosen of Mystra?
And a question: Is the Risen Sun Heresy really a heresy? We see in 4e that Lathander is replaced by Amaunator, and if I recall correctly, it happened wilingly. So really, was it a heresy? And if not, why did priests of Lathander term it so? What did they have to gain?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  06:13:22  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

I've mentioned this on other threads, but I'll say it here as well: Isn't The Srinshee, with all her fifty something levels and more raw magical power than Larloch a Chosen of Mystra?
According to Ed's The Annotated Elminster, as well other sources, yes.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  07:26:07  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
And a question: Is the Risen Sun Heresy really a heresy? We see in 4e that Lathander is replaced by Amaunator, and if I recall correctly, it happened wilingly. So really, was it a heresy? And if not, why did priests of Lathander term it so? What did they have to gain?

I think the answer is fairly simple, really. It began as a Heresy. Lathander was silent on the matter for some reason, and I assume that at some point after the casting of Amaunator's eternal sun, the majority of the faithful of Lathander came to believe that it was true. Therefore, Lathander "ascended" (*mutters*descended IMHO*mutters*) to become Amaunator. It is not certain if this new Amaunator is the same Amaunator from the time of Netheril, or simply Lathander embracing a new aspect.

It might also have something to do with the deaths of Tyr and Helm. There was a gap that needed to be filled, so Lathander filled it. Sadly, it still leaves a gaping hole in the pantheon as far as I am concerned. I don't usually find myself fond of male deities, but in Lathander's case I always had a soft spot for him. Gotta love the god of new beginnings.

Ed can probably clarify this better than I... I might be completely wrong as half of the above was wild speculation on my behalf.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 06 May 2010 07:28:17
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

615 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  13:19:05  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
Honestly a new goddess of magic or the previous one could be restore without changing the current year (1481 in the novel line). An artifact created during Mystras’ reign would contain a pure form of her essence and the old weave. Mix it with the blood of a Chosen or really powerful arcane user who represent magic in its raw form. Then find a proper host receptacle for the new deity of magic. An exarch who is willing to risk losing its identity would work or maybe several greater gods creating a blank avatar.
Then add the final ingredients of T.L. S.

To keep this on topic, Can Ed gives us another hint about the new El book? For example, are there minor quotes opening each chapter?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 06 May 2010 13:20:29
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  17:29:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Re the opening quotes, Ed tells me: "Yes and no. Just tell them: yes and no."

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  23:16:57  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

<snip>Mix it with the blood of a Chosen or really powerful arcane user who represent magic in its raw form. Then find a proper host receptacle for the new deity of magic. An exarch who is willing to risk losing its identity would work or maybe several greater gods creating a blank avatar. </snip>

Hrm... anyone else think it's just a curious coincidence that this idea comes up just as we're talking about the Srinshee and her status as a (former, since we're by definition talking post-Spellplague) Chosen of Mystra?

Edit: By way of making this a question for Ed: Ed, does this sound like a coherent plan to you? I understand completely if your answer is "no comment" or "NDA"...

Edited by - Jakk on 06 May 2010 23:20:05
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

615 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  00:16:10  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

<snip>Mix it with the blood of a Chosen or really powerful arcane user who represent magic in its raw form. Then find a proper host receptacle for the new deity of magic. An exarch who is willing to risk losing its identity would work or maybe several greater gods creating a blank avatar. </snip>

Hrm... anyone else think it's just a curious coincidence that this idea comes up just as we're talking about the Srinshee and her status as a (former, since we're by definition talking post-Spellplague) Chosen of Mystra?

Edit: By way of making this a question for Ed: Ed, does this sound like a coherent plan to you? I understand completely if your answer is "no comment" or "NDA"...

The idea has been roaming around my head long before Srinshee question came up.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000