Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  22:18:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Another one of Ed's Eye on the Realms Articles(DDI) is up.

A Beholder in Waterdeep...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 20 May 2010 22:20:35
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  22:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Here's all of Ed's Realmslore Archive. The second one from the top, Azoun's Offspring is the one you're talking about, I believe: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl
I was always rather disappointed that story didn't continue - it was really interesting.
But I also have a few questions, brought about by reading The Last MYthal Trilogy recently:
First of all, what would happen to demi-planes in the wake of the Spellplague, especially demi-planes such as Sildeyuir?
Second, what composes Myth Drannor's mythal after the Crusade and the Spellplague? The Tree of Souls, the original mythal, or both? And can we have a more detailed description of the Mythal after the Spellplague? FRCG didn't give that many details.
Lastly, what would generally happen to mythals in the Spellplague? FRCG happens what happens to specific Mythals (Everska's, Silverymoon's) but is there some template for dealing with mythals after the Spellplague, or is it completely random?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  23:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all!
Joran, Ed has your questions and is working on dodging NDAs to give you whatever lore replies he can. Thus far, this tiny smidgin has squirted out:

The name of Red Knight's pegasus mount seen in THE GRAND HISTORY OF THE REALMS is Valorvyr.

So saith Ed. Who will provide more as he can, he promises. I can add this much: yes, Red Knight and Torm ARE close friends, and often work together. (I can't go so far as to venture opinions on romance. By "close" friends, I mean deep and many-times-proven mutual trust, the ease of being completely open and candid, and caring for each other's feelings, aims, views, and preferences.)
love to all,
THO

Very interesting! Here's a question that perhaps has been answered elsewhere, though I've never heard anything on the matter and no DM I've spoken to could answer it for me. Why is she known as Red Knight when the other deities are known by actual names? Was this set up by the gods, or is it something that she personally wanted to have done? Also, was she known as the Red Knight by those that followed her to Myth Rhynn to confront the creatures that come forth there, or did they know her by an actual name or another title? And my book is away from me just now, so I'm not certain if it was Myth Rhynn or another Myth city. Thank you for what's been divulged thus far!!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  01:33:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Momentary derailment - I don't get back here too often anymore...

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Interestingly, this is why the concept of the 4e Realms and the post-Spellplague era don't bother me as much any more. And hasn't for almost a year-and-a-half now. Because, being a long-time Marvel fan, I can appreciate the opportunities that come with the "What-If?" scenario. Thus, I usually interpret the 4e Realms to be a possible example of such a scenario. In this case, "What If Cyric Killed Mystra?"
The 'What If' series of marvel was one of my very favorites - the one where Wolverine became Lord of the Vampires rocked.

Come on... the Punisher becoming the Sorceror Supreme? Could it get ANY funkier?

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think a Star Trek-style reboot of the setting could do a lot of great things, but I'm not sure WotC would want to go in that direction.

Star Trek worked for me, so did Galactica - BG doesn't surprise me (except in how darn good it was), because I never cared for the original overmuch, but I was surprised that I liked the New ST continuity - it was hot, and the old girl need a good kick in it's franchise-arse.

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Many thanks THO! Me thinks I might want to try an Old Black Goblin.
Dude, that just sounds so wrong....

And now a question so I don't get in trouble: What novel/stories is Ed working on ATM? That may seem like a stupid question to some, but I haven't been around much I don't really know whats going on in the book dept. I'm currently reading The Mists of Avalon, and although it is excellent, I'm really craving some FR goodness right about now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 May 2010 01:40:05
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  01:37:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Here's all of Ed's Realmslore Archive. The second one from the top, Azoun's Offspring is the one you're talking about, I believe: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl
I was always rather disappointed that story didn't continue - it was really interesting.
<snip>

I second that opinion on that storyline, Menelvagor... and I second your asked questions, as well. Apart from that, just waiting patiently for (hopefully) something on Myth Unnohyr, and (more hopefully) release of the Cormyr Lineage for publication. For now, I think that I've asked the questions that have come to my mind, and I'm just waiting for NDAs to expire or be made obsolete.

That being said, some hints as to clues in published sources regarding the "great secret of the Realms" and the Chosen of Mystryl would be really, really cool...

Okay, I'm done pestering.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  03:14:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

Menelvagor, the answer to your last question about mythals (template re. Spellplague effects, or completely random) is: completely random. Ed and I have talked about this, and the Spellplague (although it definitely brought down the Weave) had "utterly random" effects, leaving some spells, magic items, and people untouched, destroying others, and "affecting" most of both (that is: changing them in varying ways).
Myth Drannor's mythal was already decaying, and Ed has said that the Spellplague affected various "spots" (locations in the city) and properties (powers of the mythal) differently than it affected other spots or properties of the same mythal.

Markustay: Hi! Visit often; be welcome!
Ed is hard at work on the second Elminster novel, presumably Book 2 of "The Sage of shadowdale" (being as ELMINSTER MUST DIE! that's coming out this August at Gencon, is described in the WotC catalogue as Book 1). The Prologue and first two chapters of EL M D! were just published in the back pages of CIRCLE OF SKULLS by James P. Davis, the sixth "Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep" standalone novel, and from them we know that EL M D! is set in the spring of the first year of the 4e Realms [the Year of the Ageless One].
The Davis novel is a mass market paperback (and a great "dark" yarn, BTW), and I believe both of the Ed Elminster novels I've mentioned here will be released first as hardcovers.
From the hints Ed has passed through me to post here for scribes, I'm become very excited about ELMINSTER MUST DIE! and, as they say, can't wait (but must! Grrrr!).
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 21 May 2010 03:16:33
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  03:44:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
"Elminster must Die", I like it
Reminds me of some truly horrid FR campaigns I've been privy to.

Thanx for the quick response - I just hope his antagonists aren't half as brain-dead as some real-life people I've heard take up that mantra.

Anyhow, looks like another 4e novel I will have to read... not that I mind... time heals all wounds.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  03:46:55  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<snip>
Anyhow, looks like another 4e novel I will have to read... not that I mind... time heals all wounds.

Except spellscars...

Sorry... couldn't resist.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  07:41:16  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

The questions about "illegitimate" children (which I've always taken to mean as born on the other side of the sheets, aka born out of wedlock), has inspired another one.

In Suzail, two merchants have an ongoing relationship that produces several children, but they never marry. After one or both dies, how would inheritance work in that case, and is this situation common at all in Cormyr?

ETA (Edited to Ask): Also, are there any male nobles in Cormyr pre-Spellplague who have taken a leaf out of Azoun's book and fathered many children outside their marriages? How are they viewed by society at large?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 21 May 2010 07:43:32
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  08:29:22  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
I'll jump at the chance, 'cause we're on Cormyr topic.
Is Brace Skatterhawk Azoun IV's son? And is something clear known about his relationship with Alusair (more than it was implied in C:aN?)

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  08:36:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I'll jump at the chance, 'cause we're on Cormyr topic.
Is Brace Skatterhawk Azoun IV's son? And is something clear known about his relationship with Alusair (more than it was implied in C:aN?)

I'm not Ed, but I seem to recall a bit in Cormyr: A Novel whereupon it was revealed that Brace was indeed a bastard son of Azoun IV.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  12:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
<snip>
Ahh... the Cormyr Lineage... 'twould be a serious crime to leave that locked up... I've earlier presented my arguments for publication, most (if not all) of which I'm sure Ed has already thought of. Lore should be for the players, but it doesn't get to the players without being stripped of NDAs and published.

I would be perfectly happy to sign the NDAs myself and do the work free of charge to pretty up the formatting of the Lineage for PDF-format publication, as I know that Ed and Brian are very busy and I can't see WotC sparing time in their product schedule for it (it being almost entirely lore and completely devoid of mechanics... which is probably why they're in no great hurry to see it into print).

Anyway, there's my offer of assistance in the matter. Not that it will do much good, I suspect...

Oh, that Cormyr Lineage would be a great thing. When could we expect it? xD

@Sage: Well, I meant, there were some 'wink wink nudge nudge' scenes alluding to Brace being Alusair's lover too. Not only (probably) her half-brother.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  12:57:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
<snip>
Ahh... the Cormyr Lineage... 'twould be a serious crime to leave that locked up... I've earlier presented my arguments for publication, most (if not all) of which I'm sure Ed has already thought of. Lore should be for the players, but it doesn't get to the players without being stripped of NDAs and published.

I would be perfectly happy to sign the NDAs myself and do the work free of charge to pretty up the formatting of the Lineage for PDF-format publication, as I know that Ed and Brian are very busy and I can't see WotC sparing time in their product schedule for it (it being almost entirely lore and completely devoid of mechanics... which is probably why they're in no great hurry to see it into print).

Anyway, there's my offer of assistance in the matter. Not that it will do much good, I suspect...

Oh, that Cormyr Lineage would be a great thing. When could we expect it? xD

@Sage: Well, I meant, there were some 'wink wink nudge nudge' scenes alluding to Brace being Alusair's lover too. Not only (probably) her half-brother.

As I recall, she asked him point-blank, and he confirmed it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  13:09:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
What Wooly said!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  15:14:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Hey Ed, I see you are attending the FanExpo in Toronto this year. I have to convince my wife to be that we can go, we almost did last year but you had cancelled, so any ideas on what the odds are of this year being good? Thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  15:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Quick questions which will probably slam me into an NDA wall: In Tears So White, The Srinshee says that she was fading away, but that when Mystra died, much of her essence 'stole into her' and restored her. What was this 'fading away'? And how did the essence of Mystra restore her? Was the essence of Mystra added to that essence she already had in her as a Chosen, and did she keep soem of it at least with the rise of Midnight as Mystra?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  18:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Quick questions which will probably slam me into an NDA wall: In Tears So White, The Srinshee says that she was fading away, but that when Mystra died, much of her essence 'stole into her' and restored her. What was this 'fading away'? And how did the essence of Mystra restore her? Was the essence of Mystra added to that essence she already had in her as a Chosen, and did she keep soem of it at least with the rise of Midnight as Mystra?

"Fading away" is Elven for dying, or moving into Arvandor. AFAIR it was referenced in Evermeet: Island of Elves.

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  20:32:52  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message
I don't know if this has already been asked, if so sorry for asking again.

Dear THO and Ed,

Here in the Netherlands we have so-called coffeshops and smartshops. Public places where it's allowed (though not legal) to buy (and often use) soft drugs like marijuana.

Do such places, where one could buy these kind of special herbs, exist in the Realms?

Just wondering...
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  21:23:20  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Back to the Srinshee question, I get the impression she is a chosen for Mystra and another
elven god. I say because Ed said a while back that for her to get pregnant, 2 gods would
have to consent. Im thinking Sehanine myself.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  01:51:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Tyranthraxus, most cities and "market towns" in the Realms have alchemists or herbalists or both (shops, that is), and of course most farmers (crofters) and rural villages have ample supplies of grown-right-there herbs as well as "harvested from hedgerows and woodlots or the wild" herbs. However, the Realms DOESN'T have laws against soft or hard recreational herbal drugs (the very concept is unknown, because herbs and other plants have always been used for home medicines, and for trance-inducing, hallucinogenic, and mood-altering purposes IN TEMPLES, by the priests of the Realms (of almost all faiths).
As a result, there's no market need in the Realms for what's sometimes called in our real world a "head shop" or a "funk shop" or any "counter-culture" gathering place or vendor of drugs and associated items ("bongs", music, T-shirts, etc.).
No drug trade, no drug laws and police enforcement of them...none of that. If an idiot "drives" a wagon or chariot when stoned or drunk and does damage, citizens mete out rough justice on the spot, or the Watch in a city comes and arrests and takes the miscreant to justice for the damage done and for the reckless endangerment of the behavior that caused said damage...NOT for the drugs. (Again, in a setting where EVERYONE "believes" in all of the gods without necessarily having to take anything on faith, and priests habitually make use of drugs in holy rituals involving themselves and lay worshippers, the very concept of "drugs being illegal" is unknown.)
The one exception I know of is: military discipline. In many of the armies and local lawkeeping forces (i.e. City Watches) of the Realms, it's an offense to be drunk or stoned on duty.

Now, a note to all scribes reading this: please DO NOT misinterpret this post as advocating drug use in the real world, or describing the Realms as a place where everyone (or a majority of folk) are stoned all or part of the time. Nothing could be further from the truth. In some thirty-two years or so of Realmsplay, Ed has only ever described ANY evidence of drugs in the Realms twice, that I recall.
Once was a ritual in which priests had undertaken a vigil in which they drank sacred wine and inhaled vapors from specific herbs burned on an altar, in order to receive visions that would guide them (that they believed came from the deity).
The other occasion was PCs invading a temple of Bane to try to recover kidnapped persons. As they descended into lower levels of the temple (subterranean dungeons), Ed described acrid scents in the air, as if certain plants were being burned...and then the visions started. (This wasn't a defense of the temple, it was priests down on those lower levels engaged in a ritual, and the PCs inhaling the results from the air currents that normally exhaust the air of those lower temple levels.)

So saith me.
As they say on the news: No, don't try this at home.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 22 May 2010 01:56:37
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  01:58:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and Zireael: yes, Brace Skatterhawk is the son of Azoun IV. So is Brace's close and longtime friend, Beliard Cormaeril.
(This comes from Ed's notes.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  02:02:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
As for Brace being Alusair's lover: yes, but please don't interpret "lover" as "longtime bed companion."
Brace was one of the many young noblemen whom Alusair "rode with" in military service in the northern parts of the realm, and made love to when camping of nights as she pleased. As in, her bedroll-partner changed from night to night, without anyone getting possessive or vying to be her "favourite." So among that fellowship, Brace was one of some forty-odd lovers (and, yes, it's likely a few others among them were UNWITTINGLY, on her part or perhaps unknown to both of them, her half-brothers).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  02:41:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

As for Brace being Alusair's lover: yes, but please don't interpret "lover" as "longtime bed companion."
Brace was one of the many young noblemen whom Alusair "rode with" in military service in the northern parts of the realm, and made love to when camping of nights as she pleased. As in, her bedroll-partner changed from night to night, without anyone getting possessive or vying to be her "favourite." So among that fellowship, Brace was one of some forty-odd lovers (and, yes, it's likely a few others among them were UNWITTINGLY, on her part or perhaps unknown to both of them, her half-brothers).
love,
THO

So... Having shared bedrolls with multiple companions kinda negates a need for privacy with those companions. So when she was sharing a bedroll, did she and her partner discreetly wander off, or casually announce they'd be back later, or just go to, not worrying about the proximity of others?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  03:05:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Brace was one of the many young noblemen whom Alusair "rode with" in military service in the northern parts of the realm, and made love to when camping of nights as she pleased.
Any chance we can learn a few details about some other "rides" we've not heard mentioned before?

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  04:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

love,
THO

I must express again what an extraordinary situation that is. While they don't need to contend with Earth-based cultural taboos regarding sex or the cultural double standards regarding women and sex, they still must contend with their own biological imperatives. Such a situation can work, but is more likely with smaller groups than groups of this size. Maybe Sune's smiling on them all. (And I bet Sune and Sharess LOVE Alusair. )

I'm also curious - there's clearly some incest* going on there, since there's more than one of Azoun's bastards present amongst her Blades. She isn't bothered by that at all? What is the common attitude with regards to incest with half-siblings and/or cousins? How about with full siblings? (Forgive me if I've asked this before and been given an answer. I really should keep better track, but there's now six rather large files to search through to check, I simply don't have the time. Please just disregard it if it has been asked/answered.)

* I use the term completely without judgment.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  09:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
Second that question. That bugs me too now...

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  13:18:15  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Dear Ed & Lady THO,,, Who is the mysterious wizard living on the edge of the Flooded Forest??? How did the Forest end up this way? Are there any Elven ruins within its swampy embrace?

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  15:46:09  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

<snip>
I'm also curious - there's clearly some incest* going on there, since there's more than one of Azoun's bastards present amongst her Blades. She isn't bothered by that at all? What is the common attitude with regards to incest with half-siblings and/or cousins? How about with full siblings? (Forgive me if I've asked this before and been given an answer. I really should keep better track, but there's now six rather large files to search through to check, I simply don't have the time. Please just disregard it if it has been asked/answered.)

* I use the term completely without judgment.

I know that I've seen this discussion gone around at least twice regarding the views of "incestuous" relationships on the boards here, with THO giving the explanations many a time. Although, I don't have the exact locations bookmarked (perhaps Sage or Wooly? Maybe we create a sticky on the discussion?).

The general thoughts on the matter have boiled down to this: No, she's not bothered by it, and not many people in the Realms would be.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  16:53:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I know that I've seen this discussion gone around at least twice regarding the views of "incestuous" relationships on the boards here, with THO giving the explanations many a time. Although, I don't have the exact locations bookmarked (perhaps Sage or Wooly? Maybe we create a sticky on the discussion?).

The general thoughts on the matter have boiled down to this: No, she's not bothered by it, and not many people in the Realms would be.

There's bit and pieces scattered. Really, a thorough search of the "So Saith Ed" archives will reveal the bits you're thinking about.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  20:31:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Wooly, re. this: "So... Having shared bedrolls with multiple companions kinda negates a need for privacy with those companions. So when she was sharing a bedroll, did she and her partner discreetly wander off, or casually announce they'd be back later, or just go to, not worrying about the proximity of others?"
I've talked to Ed a time or two about this (we Knights, in hiding at night, witnessed one of these encampments), and the answer is: It depended. As in, Alusair wasn't shy, but some of her partners were.

Now, to Zandilar and Zireael, re. the larger issue of incest: partners contemplating such relationships in the Realms will be fully aware of how it might harm friendships and family relationships, the complications it might cause regarding inheritances, and so on. The Obarskyrs, most nobles, and many other Cormyreans have access to magical contraception, and almost all Cormyreans (and Dalefolk, and Sembians, and...) to herbal contraception. Some want to use it, some don't (and remember, some faiths in the Realms have a very different position on incest than the Judeo-Christian one).
This is something Ed and I have talked about, too, and he has made it very clear that the female Obarskyrs (some of whom married into the clan, of course, rather than being born into it) would behave very differently if contraception wasn't available. Also, the existence of magical contraception has saved many noble women from rape, because it takes away the danger of it being done cold-bloodedly to get a tie to a family's inheritance or wealth.
Alusair, like her father, enjoyed sex. Lots of sex, often. Filfaeril loved sex in private, not so often. Tanalasta liked sex in private, seldom. Most people in the Realms, as in our real world, want lots of sex in their teenaged years, and then their lusts taper off - - but the Azouns and Alusairs are rarer than the Tanalastas. Ed's Realms have the full variety of human tastes and experiences, NOT a global nonstop orgy.
Me, I'm more in the Alusair camp.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 22 May 2010 20:52:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000