Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dark Ways and Darker Secrets OOC Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  20:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all. Well Barshevy's had to shutter his games, and I've found that I've missed playing. So, despite not having DM'ed in a while, and not DM'ed a PbP game at all, I figured I should volunteer to run the next one. If people are interested, of course.

I'm still chasing my random ideas into a coherent plan, but there's a module I've wanted to run for a while, and this might give me a chance. What I'm thinking is we'd start with a "starter dungeon" to let the group bond and (especially) let me shake my DM rust off, and then things would start to get interesting.

Because this is a replacement for Barshevy's games, I'm giving players in the Randal Morn right of first refusal, and those in Pool second refusal.

Oh, specifics, you ask? Heh. Well, 2e, pretty much all options open, starting at 1st level. There will be lots of underground things, so infravision is a good idea. Oh, and, uh, I'd seriously recommend at least one psionicist, with two (or one single and one multi class) an even better option. Set in the Western Heartlands, probably late 1340's to early 1350's.

So, anyone interested?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 22 Aug 2009 15:24:29

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  22:09:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll think about it but I'm not commiting to anything yet. :) Especially since classes start up again in about a month and half.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  09:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm game Hoon.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  17:51:41  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm leaning towards a pass. If Barshevy starts up again, I'll jump back in, but I'm not 'in the mood' to start a new game yet.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  17:57:07  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I'm leaning towards a pass. If Barshevy starts up again, I'll jump back in, but I'm not 'in the mood' to start a new game yet.

Going to have to agree, but I really wish I were since I'd love to play in a game with you as a DM, my friend. Also, my other D&D campaigns are wrapped up nicely, so my players are wanting me to run a RCR Star Wars game since all of us *hate* Saga.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye open to see how it goes for you.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  20:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's ok guys. RPG's are work as well as play, and I certainly understand not having the time/energy/interest.

I'm still interested in running it, if we can get enough people. My games tend to be on the dangerous side, so I take Colonel Mustard's words to heart: "There is safety in numbers, my dear."

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  20:54:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides, this gives some others a chance to play!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  02:12:17  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Besides, this gives some others a chance to play!

Very true, Ashe! I really couldn't believe how much fun playing in a PbP was!

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Mogrim
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  06:04:32  Show Profile  Visit Mogrim's Homepage Send Mogrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am game if enough people show up. That being said, I can only usually post once a day. So if you want a faster posting game you will want a different player than I.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  06:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great to hear. Don't worry about 1/day, I've played in pbp that went a whole lot slower. Of course, if it turns out you can post more often, that's great too.

So, that's 2. I would really like to get 6, considering the evil things I plan to do to all of you. Considering that several of the Morn players have declined, I'm opening it up to anyone here at CK. Come one, come all!

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  15:16:44  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoondatha, I'd be interested in playing, but I would like to play something more than just a base class this go around if I told you a concept idea and could match it up with a kit that would be suitable since I don't own any. If that is too much of a bother (since I don't know how much you need the kit book after you take it in 2nd Ed.) I'm fine with just playing the standard version of the class.

My ideas of playing are a dwarf fighter or thief, human or elf ranger, and a gnome illusionist or thief (or a possible kit for either of those). Anyways, just let me know what the rules are for rolling and everything either here or via PM on CK.

Edit: I'm also adding human necromancer or invoker as a possible race class combo.

Edited by - Ghost King on 21 Jul 2009 15:19:32
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  16:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm tempted to go for something small and psionic.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  18:57:04  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GK: I don't have a problem working out a concept with you and coming up with a kit. Send me a PM with some ideas, and I'll take a look around my library when I get home.

Appropos of Tyr's comment, there are a couple of house rules I should mention. Don't worry, you'll like them.

1) I don't use demihuman level caps. Racial class restrictions, yes (unless you give me a really good reason), but not the level caps.
2) We'll be using the Complete Psionics Handbook (I can make available excerpts to those who don't have it), with one modification: you get one psionic attack for free at the same time you get a psionic defense. As with the defenses, you don't have to have access to the telepathic discipline to select and use them (though obviously they're of less use if you don't have contact to follow them).

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  19:18:38  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm cool with those rules, they do make things a bit easier.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  20:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I could get interested - in probably any class that we'd need. Been too long since I've dug out the 2e stuff, anyway.

Edited by - Arivia on 21 Jul 2009 21:51:29
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  22:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It'd be a pleasure. And you're only the third, so you get to choose what you want.

I'll try to put together some coherent thoughts on the campaign later tonight.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  22:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh! I misread your OP. In which case, I'll probably grab the second psionicist slot. Do you have any details on how you treat psionics (outside of including remnants from Jhaamdath etc?)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  23:04:43  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Psionics tend to be extremely rare in my Realms, as in only a few hundred full-fledged psionicists of the five main races in all Faerun. I wouldn't normally encourage multiple psionicists in a single party, except that have a feeling you might be running up against the odd illithid, and I want the odds to be a bit more even.

A few other quick notes about psionics:
1) They might be rare, but there's no stigma attached to them. You'll likely be thought of as a slightly demented wizard, unless you start to try and explain it, in which case you'll probably just confuse people. No burnings at the stake, though.

2) Jhaamdath was a magical empire. There's never been enough psionicists in any one place or time to form a ruling class, at least as far as any of you know. Nor have there been many psionic schools (too many strong-willed individuals clashing in battles of egos... in more than one way). Most psionicists tend to be taught in master/apprentice relationships, much like wizards. They do a somewhat better job of keeping tabs on each other, but it's a loose group at best with no psionic version of the Magefair.

3) Attempts to strengthen psionic potential through selective breeding has met with limited success. That hasn't stopped people from trying, and there have been some small successes (usually in the order of strengthening wild talents into a true psionicist over several centuries).

4) I am including the expanded powers and rules from Dark Sun (ie: Dragon Kings and The Will and the Way). We may end up ditching Constructs and Harbingers, depending on how they turn out in play, but all of the additional powers are available. This includes psionic research, empowerment, and the High Sciences. If you survive that far.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  23:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to state and I already have told Hoondatha this. I'm going to either play a dwarf fighter or an elf ranger. So if anyone wants to play a caster or other character feel free. I'll eventually give a definitive answer on what of those two concepts I'll be playing here after a while.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  23:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Notes on the Campaign

Ahem. Welcome one and all, and thank you for expressing interest in my up-coming campaign. I’ve rambled in a couple of places about what I’m thinking, and now I’d like to take a minute (or two) to lay the information out in something more closely resembling, uhm, sense.

1) The campaign is set in the early 1350’s DR, and begins in the city of Scornubel. This is primarily to give the campaign time to stretch itself out without us running into major events. The ToT may happen, it may not. This will be a joint decision between the players and DM, should we get that far.

2) The ruleset is Second Edition. Characters begin at 1st level. No evil, all other alignments are fine. I’m hoping for a group of 6 PC’s, because then I don’t feel so bad about thinking up nasty things to do to you. I also want to warn you up front that I don’t pull many punches. I don’t set out to kill players, but actions will have consequences, and running away is always a viable option. We’ll be using the Hovering at Death’s Door optional rule for increased survivability, but please, when you roll your characters, if you don’t get stats that are at least “pretty darn good,” reroll. You’re heroes. Get the stats to prove it. When doing this on paper I tend to use the 3d6 x 12, take best 6 version, but if you want to use Invisible Castle, that’s fine too.

3) I would prefer that at least some of the PC’s know each other in-game. I’ll pull the “you’re all in a tavern one night” if I have to, but I’d prefer not to. At the same time, Scornubel is a caravan city, so your character can be from wherever you want. If you have your heart set on playing a Dambraii runaway or a Rashemaar berserker, go for it.

4) Speaking of Invisible Castle (http://invisiblecastle.com), we’ll be using them for die rolls. My rolls will be public, except when they aren’t.

5) There will a great deal of travel underground, so take that into consideration. Also, it would be beneficial if the party had at least one elf.

6) The game will try to strike a balance between role-playing, exploration, and combat, however be aware that combat will be well-represented. Please don’t submit a pacifist enchanter, I’l cry.

7) Speaking of enchantment, if the characters survive to high enough levels, I will make time availble for spell research, psionic meditation, or magical item creation. Once we get there, we can decide what method (Volo’s Guide to All Things Magical, DMG, Tome of Magic) we want to use.

8) Character kits: I love character kits. I think they’re a great idea, and I encourage all of you to use them. I have every 2e book ever published, so if you need some help coming up with a kit, or a character idea, I’m happy to help. Material from Dragon (ie: psionicist kits) will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, but I tend to be a fairly open guy, provided you give me a good in-game reason.

9) Optional rules: In general, I favor the optional rules. This is one area where a pbp can do better than gaming in-person, since we can include things like weapon speeds without slowing things down too much. If something is proving too cumbersome, I’m happy to re-evaluate. Optional rules I know we won’t be using right off the bat: encumbrance (as long as you don’t abuse it TOO much), racial level caps, weapon type vs armor.

10) Proficiencies! I forgot proficiencies. We will be using proficiencies, along with the optional rule of using the # Languages Known column as bonus NWP slots. Everyone starts knowing Common, their racial language (if any), and one bonus of the player's choice. Extra languages must be bought as normal. Oh, and if you know any modern language you automatically know its written component. Personally, I think that speaking/read-write split is one of 2e's stupidest rules. Only for ancient languages do you have to pay twice to both speak and read/write.

11) I’ll devote more time to the specifics of combat once we get closer to playing.

Well, I hope I haven’t scared you off with this massive post. I welcome any questons on things I didn’t cover, and I especially welcome the upcoming discussions with each of you about your characters.

Best, Hoondatha

Edited by - Hoondatha on 22 Jul 2009 00:23:43
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  00:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that case, I'll likely play some sort of Evereskan, just to cover a few bases. I'm still uncertain as to class; most of my 2e stuff is in storage, and it's difficult to pull it out as we're mid-way through the weirdest renovation ever.
Go to Top of Page

Mogrim
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  03:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Mogrim's Homepage Send Mogrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like this is going to be fun. GK, if you want to play an elf I would love to give a dwarf a try for a change. I don't play them often, and this sounds like a great time to give it a whirl. I will be playing a dwarven fighter, I haven't decided on a kit yet, I am thinking maybe Axe for Hire. That would make him more out going. I will roll him up some stats in the next day or so.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  05:06:36  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ROTFL.

Earlier, GK asked for some help with his character ideas, and the only thing I could think of that came close to the concept he sent was Axe for Hire. Great minds think alike, huh?

I leave it to the two of you to arm-wrestle character concepts into submission.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  05:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my, some of this 2e stuff is sending me for a loop. Not that it's bad, I'm just unused to it: keep coming up with character ideas, looking up background/lore stuff and finding unexpected rules results that make it not work.

Edit: Okay, I'm settled. Starsinger of Sehanine Moonbow it is. I was looking at a mage/cleric, but that doesn't work by Demihuman Deities anyway (or by 2e class spreads.)

So what's Evereska like at this time, by your imagining? The Old Gray Box describes it as a colony, not the city it would develop into by 1372.

Edited by - Arivia on 22 Jul 2009 08:28:02
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  14:12:48  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I was leaning towards playing the dwarf, but I don't think I can play it as well as my moon elf concept I have running. So the dwarf is yours, good sir! Enjoy! :)

Hoondatha, I'll go with the fighter/thief idea. I might need some help with the multi-classing since it is a tad different then what I'm used to. I'll PM you more with the more solid concept of my elf here in a bit with the changes you requested.

Edit Note: I have my character as being a wanderer type that is from Cormanthor. He's been to Evereska and around the North for about five years prior to campaign start so if any of you would like to team up as friends or adventuring partners feel free to ask and we can work out the details. Character's name is Malythiir ([Pronounced] Mal'ith'ear) Lockeheart, but most just call him Mal or Lockeheart and he is known to be an experienced scout.

Edited by - Ghost King on 22 Jul 2009 15:42:07
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  17:10:19  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you still need another player, I'll play. I must warn you that I won't have a lot of time to devote, however. I'll probably only be able to post once a day except weekends.

Also, I haven't played straight 2e in a long time. With the exception of a game with its own house rules, I haven't played anything in forever. I'll play any human or elven character you want. Just tell me what fits best.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Mogrim
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  19:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Mogrim's Homepage Send Mogrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made these rolls for my Dwarven Fighter, Turin Anvilhammer:

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2175452/

I will be placing the 18 in str, so here is my percentile roll:

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2175455/

That gives me the stats:

Str: 18/66
Dex: 15
Con: 17 (16 +1 from being a dwarf)
Int: 11
Wis: 8
Cha: 8 (9 -1 from being a dwarf)

Turin will be a mountain dwarf with the Axe for Hire Fighter Kit.

I will flesh him out later today or even tomorrow.

Quick question, do we start with max HP at first, or do we roll?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  21:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. I leave the forum for half a day, and when I come back I've got half a dozen PM's and a bunch of posts in here. Good to see it's starting to get critical mass.

Ok, let's see. We currently have:

Ghost King: fighter/thief
Arivia: Cleric (Starsinger)
Mogrim: fighter (axe for hire)
Tyr: something small and psionic

Brynweir, you're welcome to join. A lot of us need to shake the rust off (myself included), so I'll be starting the campaign with a starter dungeon so we can get a feel for the rules, overland movement, that sort of thing. One nice thing about the Western Heartlands, there's so many abandoned holds and steads scattered over the place... Also, it's sort of a tradition among my group that we start with a specific adventure, repurposed over and over.

The one class we don't have yet is a wizard, and this is 2e, the edition where fireballs are actually useful. I'd strongly suggest that the group have at least one.

Arivia: You're welcome to be a starsinger, but I reserve the right to draft your aid in figuring out exactly where the moon is at any given point. Do you want to use the druid XP table, or the optional one at the back of Demihuman Dieties? Your choice.

I'm going to be basing the campaign primarily on the 2e Revised setting (the blue book), primarily because that's what I'm most familiar with. I have the Old Grey Box, but I grew up on Revised. So Evereska's a city. Population about thirty thousand in their splendid isolation.

GK: I got your character sketch, I'll respond privately as soon as I can.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  21:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure, worst comes to worst I'll use the celestial calendar utility I think is somewhere in the library. I'm not worried about the moon so much as I've always liked Sehanine. What's the difference between the xp tables? Just the numbers?

Evereska as a city: Understood. I just went back for the date, working with Revised is fine by me.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  22:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The druid XP table starts a little slow, then speeds through the mid levels and then you slam into a brick wall at level 13 and 14. So for much of the campaign you'll be ahead of much of the group, but if we get to higher levels you'll slow significantly.

The optional table is like the Paladin/Ranger table for priests: it follows the cleric, but requires a bit more for each level. You'll go through the mid levels slower, but it's much easier to reach high levels.

I don't have an opinion either way. The default is to use the druid table, which, considering the speed pbp's usually go, might well be to your advantage. I just thought I'd offer.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  22:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Druid it is, I suppose.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll