Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dark Ways and Darker Secrets OOC Thread

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hoondatha Posted - 18 Jul 2009 : 20:57:15
Hi all. Well Barshevy's had to shutter his games, and I've found that I've missed playing. So, despite not having DM'ed in a while, and not DM'ed a PbP game at all, I figured I should volunteer to run the next one. If people are interested, of course.

I'm still chasing my random ideas into a coherent plan, but there's a module I've wanted to run for a while, and this might give me a chance. What I'm thinking is we'd start with a "starter dungeon" to let the group bond and (especially) let me shake my DM rust off, and then things would start to get interesting.

Because this is a replacement for Barshevy's games, I'm giving players in the Randal Morn right of first refusal, and those in Pool second refusal.

Oh, specifics, you ask? Heh. Well, 2e, pretty much all options open, starting at 1st level. There will be lots of underground things, so infravision is a good idea. Oh, and, uh, I'd seriously recommend at least one psionicist, with two (or one single and one multi class) an even better option. Set in the Western Heartlands, probably late 1340's to early 1350's.

So, anyone interested?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tyr Posted - 14 Feb 2010 : 12:46:38
Sorry to hear that Hoon, but can understand your decision. We'll still be here if you ever want to carry on, or need players to fill out another game.

Take care DM
Hoondatha Posted - 14 Feb 2010 : 04:01:49
Closing the Game

My sincere apologies for disappearing for this past week. I live in DC, and, as you may have heard, our weather lately has been unbelievable. Life is beginning to sort itself out, however, which gives me time to turn my attention to more pleasant things.

Unfortunately, the long period away has solidified a decision I've been coming to for the past few weeks. Namely, despite enjoying running this game, and having a great group of players, I'm going to be shutting down Dark Ways and Darker Secrets, at least for the time being.

The reason is two-fold. First, I don't have as much time to devote to this as I did when I started, and I don't want to short-change you. Second, half the group has had to drop out or hasn't posted in over a month. It's hard to run a game with only three people

I've been having a great time with this game, and I hope everyone else has as well (if you haven't, please let me know, so that next time I can do better). It's always possible this might get reborn in some fashion further on down the road, but for now, I'm afraid I'm going to have to close the shutters and blow out the lamps.

Best wishes,

Your friendly dungeon master.
woodwwad Posted - 01 Feb 2010 : 05:03:45
So, I see you play in Hoon's game, do you also play the same character in the other topics? I'm still a bit confused about those. I get what Hoon's game is, it's a game. What are the other topics, are people suppose to know each other---how does the rp work there. You just go up to someone in a bar and talk to them?

So I guess stats, items, feats and the like don't matter because there is no combat? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just wanting to make sure I understand this.
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 01 Feb 2010 : 04:45:56
A PC is the person that you have that you normally reply with and the like. An NPC would be like a familiar, or even another person that comes with your character to Candlekeep. As far as making a character, all you really need do is decide basic information, as stats, skill points, feats and the like aren't super important. All that matters is that you're able to RO your chosen PC well, and that you abide by the rules set down by the Moderators. I personally have two PCs that I play, which are Joran (as you can see here) and Telethian (who is handled on my Penknight account). I've used Joran's daughter before as an NPC at the Candlekeep Inn, by the way.

Also, my two PCs are actual PCs I play in D&D, though Joran is pretty well retired now in my home campaigns, and his daughter now, too. Telethian's character sheet can be seen on my Penknight account's signature, and Joran's can be seen at the botom in my signature here, if you're interested. Also, please feel free to send me PMs about this and I'll try and be of more help to you, though I'm getting ready to log off for the night and will have to get back to them tomorrow.

And on a side note, the site I like to use for my character sheets is currently undergoing some work and switching some things around, so the links may not work until later this week, but we'll see.
woodwwad Posted - 01 Feb 2010 : 04:16:52
Thanks for the responses. I looked around that forum a bit. I have a few more questions. It says you can only make one character, and one npc. I wasn't sure what they meant by NPC. So if for example I was to make a pc and play it would be the same pc on any of the posts? Also, how do you make a pc?
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 01 Feb 2010 : 04:01:51
No, we play when we can, and when time permits, which is one of the many nice things about a PbP, really. It's also one of the things that can be irritating about them too, though.

Also yes, as far as I know this is the only PbP running at present. However, you're welcome to come to the Candlekeep Inn. It's not quite the same, but it's great for IC roleplay.
Hoondatha Posted - 01 Feb 2010 : 03:55:44
Well, whether we're still playing is an open question, since posting has fallen off a cliff over the last month or two. I think it's the only play-by-post (pbp) game currently going at the Keep, though there's other RP'ing going on in the Inn. I started it after an earlier pbp, run by Barshevy and of which I was a player, shut down.

As for your posting questions, the answer is your second hypothesis. It's post-as-post-can. People log in when they can and post, and then others come by and post in response. Generally you subscribe to the thread, so you get email alerts when a new post happens. If you get two or three people online at the same time you can sometimes get a flurry of posts going back and forth between a few characters, but it's generally more along the lines of once or twice a day for each player, and more or less for the DM depending on what's going on.
woodwwad Posted - 01 Feb 2010 : 03:23:29
Thanks for the info guys, first question. You do not all play at the same time? I was looking at the time signitures on it, it seems the players are not all on there at the same time. I figured you guys set times and all posted then. So is it you all post at the same times or that you read what's happened and then post what you are doing or reply to the words of the other posters?

From looking at the posts on this site are you all doing this game still or not and is this the only one running here?
Hoondatha Posted - 01 Feb 2010 : 03:09:56
In computer science terms, its WYSIWYG: What You See Is What You Get. Everyone posts what they're doing, as well as what's going on inside their character's head (it's considered poor form to just give short declarative statements, unless you're in a battle, and even then you should put some effort into it). The good points are that you get a chance to delve much deeper into your character's thoughts and motivations than you do at many table-top games, and it also allows people spread all over the world to play together. The downside is that even simple stuff takes forever. But sometimes that's a good thing.

In case you're curious, here's the link to the game in the Inn. Feel free to poke around, just no posting if you're not a player. Dark Ways and Darker Secrets
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 01 Feb 2010 : 02:15:21
quote:
Originally posted by woodwwad

hey, can someone explain how you play? Do you all get on headsets and talk to each other or is it by im in a chat room or some other way?

No, we play here at Candlekeep in the section called The Candlekeep Inn. We play D&D like the rest of you, save for the fact that we type our replies and all of that instead of voicing them to each other. Also, we use Invisible Castle to take care of our required dice rolls. I hope that helped, my friend.
woodwwad Posted - 01 Feb 2010 : 01:02:48
hey, can someone explain how you play? Do you all get on headsets and talk to each other or is it by im in a chat room or some other way?
Hoondatha Posted - 01 Feb 2010 : 00:18:04
So, it seems like we've fallen into another lull. I also haven't heard from Jocepi or Cardoc in several weeks. I'm still really interested in running this game. It's been a lot of fun and I've got a lot of neat things planned out for what happens around the corner. On the other hand, if everyone's too busy, I understand. Life happens, and all that. So please post here whether you want the game to continue, or whether you think we should put it on hold for awhile.
Ghost King Posted - 20 Jan 2010 : 21:21:04
I'm waiting on the others to respond. Also I'm fairly busy as of late searching on finding a job and dealing with rejoining college after a two year break so I may be slow in responding here on out.
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 20 Jan 2010 : 01:02:57
Yes, I've just been really busy these last few days. I'll go and reply now. Sorry for the delay.
Hoondatha Posted - 20 Jan 2010 : 00:31:14
Hey there... Poke, poke... Cardoc, Jocepi, Brynweir, Joran, you there?
Hoondatha Posted - 06 Jan 2010 : 07:19:06
Thanks for letting us know. Here's hoping it keeps limping along until your Fund is topped off...
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 05 Jan 2010 : 23:05:41
I appreciate that, really. I'm hoping to battle through it so I can play with all of you and also speak with my close friends online. We'll see what the future holds for me.
Ghost King Posted - 05 Jan 2010 : 22:22:02
Sorry to here of your ills again with the computer horrors. Hope it isn't as serious as you say, but if not we'll keep your spot at the table if you should happen to disappear for a while.
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 05 Jan 2010 : 12:50:12
I wanted everyone to know that my old computer problems have crept once more out of the darkness and are a plague to me once more. If I should disappear for a couple of days with no word, you know what happened to me. We're working on the New Computer Fund right now, but it might be some time before we get it to where it needs to be.
Hoondatha Posted - 23 Dec 2009 : 18:17:02
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm safe and sound on the other side of the US, along with my trusty dice, so the game's been updated. Congrats on dealing with the berserk lizardmen.
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 23 Dec 2009 : 11:23:07
OOC: Well, Invisible Castle is down yet again, and a lot of my time is being spent with a dear friend of mine that's on leave from the Air Force. I've posted Joran's actions for whenever either you have time Hoondatha, or for whenever the site is back up and active again. I'd hate to slow down our game should the site come back up soon.

Please travel safe Hoondatha, and I wish you all of the best and a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Ghost King Posted - 19 Dec 2009 : 14:46:08
Enjoy your flight if you go and just giving up possible warning I might be getting busy closer to Christmas day. If ever you need feel free to God-mod my character to keep the story progressing if I don't sign-in frequently enough. And everyone have a good holiday if I don't see/talk with you guys!
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 19 Dec 2009 : 03:35:34
If you do travel please be safe, my friend.
Hoondatha Posted - 19 Dec 2009 : 00:36:19
Just fyi, I'm going to be trying to fly out to California tomorrow. I say try, because we're supposed to get up to a foot of snow here in DC, which means travel is anybody's guess. Beyond tonight, you may not see much of me until Sunday or Monday. On the other hand, you also might.
Hoondatha Posted - 18 Dec 2009 : 02:18:08
That's ok, Jocepi. Like I said, life happens. Glad you're back.
Jocepi Posted - 18 Dec 2009 : 01:52:37
Wow I hadn't realized it had been so many days between posts, holidays have the days running into each other sorry Hoon I will be more attentive to my post frequency.
Hoondatha Posted - 16 Dec 2009 : 23:35:12
That's my hope, yeah.
Ghost King Posted - 16 Dec 2009 : 19:46:02
No worries, Hoon. If such an event arises I'll make sure to send you a PM or post on this forum. However, I don't see that happening in the forseeable future.

Hmm, yeah Joran has a point. Holidays always cause people to become less reliable due to family obligations. Probably going to be a rough patch for the campaign for a little while, but I'm sure once they have passed things will settle back to where they were.
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 16 Dec 2009 : 05:20:55
We understand completely, Hoondatha. And I'm sure that the holidays are going to slow us down even further, sadly.
Hoondatha Posted - 16 Dec 2009 : 02:17:49
Has anyone seen Jocepi recently? I can play Gorme for the moment, if need be.

Also, just a general DM plea: if you're going to disappear for a while, that's fine. Life happens, and I completely understand. Just let me know, so I can run your character and the game doesn't just trail off as we wait. ((Yes, I'm facing just that problem with another pbp game I'm in right now... sorry if it makes me a bit touchy))

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000