Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dark Ways and Darker Secrets OOC Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  23:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So hold on are you a human druid that lives in Evereska or is this class the elvish equivalent of the druid class?
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  23:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to roll stats (ignore the ones preceding this, I was figuring out how to use IC for the first time in awhile):
3d6=10, 3d6=11, 3d6=9, 3d6=10, 3d6=14, 3d6=11, 3d6=15, 3d6=8, 3d6=9, 3d6=9, 3d6=4, 3d6=10
Seeing those as not too heroic, I rerolled until I ended up with at least one score in the upper echelon from 16-18 (rerolls 1, 2, 3) and finally got something workable with 4.

Assuming 4's fine, this would be my stats.
18,16,16,15,12,12 and I'd break them up into:
Str 12
Dex 13 (+1 racial)
Con 14 (-1 racial)
Int 16
Wis 18
Cha 16

Which meets the starsinger and elven minimum requirements. I can take one of the earlier rerolls or pick a worse score or two out of the last, if you'd prefer.

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

So hold on are you a human druid that lives in Evereska or is this class the elvish equivalent of the druid class?

I'm going to be a moon elf; starsinger is the specialty priest class for Sehanine Moonbow as described in Demihuman Deities.

Edited by - Arivia on 22 Jul 2009 23:29:02
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  00:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those stats look fine, Arivia.

One thing I really liked about Barshevy's game was that he set up a Google spreadsheet with everyone's characters as a one-stop-shop for stats and other crunchy stuff. I'll look into setting up something similar, and I'll add it to my sig for ease of use.

GK: It's a bit confusing. When they started designing specialty priests they decided that they should use the Druid XP table rather than the Cleric table, even though specialty priests tend to be more like clerics than druids.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  00:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any other rules variants you'd like to use that we should be aware of going into character creation? (I presume we're just basing things off the Player's Handbook as opposed to Skills and Powers, for example.)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  00:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, now you're going to make me paranoid that I forgot something critical.

No, I think I've gotten everything written out further up the thread. We're not using Skills and Powers, though I may use a couple of ideas from Combat and Tactics. We'll be using spell components, but to make all our lives easier, only those that are rare or over 1 gp in cost. But that's less a problem for you than it will be for whoever ends up playing the wizard.

If I missed anything, or if you have a question as you start filling things out, don't hesitate to ask, though.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  00:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, no. It's just that I generally work on my characters by iterating through background and rules at the same time, so I wanted to get a handle on everything at once. And as I'm really rusty on 2e, I wanted to make sure of the foundations before I possibly screwed anything up.

On the general choice side, though, are there any spheres or non-weapon proficiencies you'd recommend? Should I test for a wild talent?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  01:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind things getting screwed up; sometimes that's more fun than running smoothly. On the other hand, I used to be a theater techie, so maybe that's coloring my judgement.

Yes to testing for wild talents. I think at least one person should have mountaineering, but that doesn't have to be you. Otherwise, just go for it. Once the group's assembled, I'll take a look for any gaping holes and we can readjust if needed. But as long as we get a single-classed wizard, I doubt I'll find anything like that.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  01:22:12  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll play the wizard if no one else wants to, but I'm not usually a spellcaster... might make things a pain for the rest of you....

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  01:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1d100=71

My chance was 3% (base 1, +2 for 18 Wis, +1 for 16 Int, 1/2 for being an elf) so no wild talent here.

Edit: Don't worry about doing badly; we're just here to have fun.

Edited by - Arivia on 23 Jul 2009 01:31:24
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  01:47:57  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brynweir: Great to hear. And don't worry about not usually playing wizards. That's another reason we're starting at 1st level; it gives you a chance to grow into the role and the character. I'll help out if you need it, either putting him together to later.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  01:51:35  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool. Guess you have your wizard then.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  01:53:57  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool thanks for the explaination Arivia and Hoondatha. I was just confused about a druid being in Evereska that was human. As far as I know Kelbhen is the only human able to visit if memory serves me.

Anyways, I'm going to pass on my chance for wild talent even though I used to hear from my friends that played 2nd ed. that you could do some crazy things if you got it if you were a one.

I think our party is shaping up nicely.

Question for everyone though? Has anyone ever played a character that could wear armor and didn't? Because I'm thinking of doing so I just wanted to know if that would be a poor decision on my part. I have a very good dex, but I don't know if a AC of 6 would be wise to have or if that is passable for most combat situations?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  02:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AC 6 is ok for a 1st level character. Not great, but ok. About the best you can do for at 1st is AC 4 + Dex, which would be chain mail and a shield. 2e doesn't have 3e's strict system of max dex or armor check penalties, so you can get away with something like that.

That said, as soon as you start fighting things that have THAC0s of less than 20 (which is possible even at 1st level), AC 6 starts looking less nice. Of course, the wizard would likely kill to have it, but then, most wizards do the smart thing of running from melee, whereas you would be right in the middle.

So short answer: you can get away with it for the first level or two, then you're going to want as much AC as you can manage. And that's just me as a player speaking, not going *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* as the DM.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  02:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luckily Starsingers wear mail, so I can take some hits too.

Edit: Are we rolling for random starting money?

Edited by - Arivia on 23 Jul 2009 02:07:45
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  02:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well then I'll be wearing leather armor. :)

And Hoondatha I'm taking the kit and making the changes we discussed over PM. Exactly what I wanted and well worth the disadvantages for the bonuses that I'll receive proficiencies wise.

I'll post my character shortly with stats here since everyone so far with a character has to be fair. :)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  02:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, now I remember what I forgot.

Hit points are max at first level. All other levels are rolled, but are rounded up to half if you don't get better.

Starting money is the same: roll, and if you don't get half max, round up to half.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  03:02:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect, thanks.

I should be able to have something more complete up in the next few days.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  17:42:00  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I have so far:

Elven female wizard, Lorelei Mosiorm.

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/21689/

Str- 11
Dex-16 (15+1)
Con-12 (13-1)
Int-16
Wis-13
Cha-14

If anyone has any suggestions, please send them my way - here or PM.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  01:31:47  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now for something a bit different. One of the 3e optimization boards I occasionally frequent had a thread specifically about 2e. Since everyone's a bit rusty, I'm posting a link to it here. See what you think.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3540.0

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  01:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a related note, I peeked in the Complete Priest's Handbook, the Priest's Spell Compendium, and the Tome of Magic and the issues with spell selection/availability/class variants/granted spells make my head spin (and cause headaches on the whole deity side of things), so I'm just going to stick to the PHB and Realms stuff unless you want me to do otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  02:09:45  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My feeling is you should go as broad as you want, and no further. I have the Priest Compendiums, and I agree they're less useful than the wizard counterparts since you have to keep track of not just what sphere, but what deities in what worlds give the spells. If there's something you really want, let me know and we'll talk. If not, don't worry about it. To spice things up, I may occasionally throw exotic scrolls at you, so that it's less threatening.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  02:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my side of things, I'd only be interested in spells that would help to define my character as a starsinger; there's more than enough of those already in Demihuman Deities. Excepting rare spells from Prayers from the Faithful, there's not much else Realms-wise anyway, and I'm fine with that. From a rules perspective, the only ones that might be of relevance are spells dealing with psionics.

However, it's totally fine if you want to stick in an interesting change-up in the spells I'm praying for or as a scroll, definitely.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  04:02:41  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright my turn to put up my character I suppose:

Malythiir Lockeheart

Str 17
Dex 19
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 14
Chr 15

HP 8
AC 4

Weapon Proficiencies:
Two-weapon fighting
Ambidexterity
Longbow
Longsword

Non-Weapon Proficiencies:
Direction Sense
Set Snares
Survival (Woodland)
Tracking
(All from Scout Kit above)

Alertness
Firebuilding
Rope Use
Swimming
Tightrope Walking
Tumbling
Hunting
Gaming

Rogue Skills (racial, dex adjustments and points alloted included):
Pick Pocket 20%
Open Locks 25%
Find/Remove Traps 35%
Move Silently 40%
Hide in Shadows 40%
Detect Noise 40%
Climb Walls 60%
Read Languages (Not applicable and removed as a rogue skil due to Scout Kit disadvantage)

Special Abilities: Elf Racials

Equipment:
Leather Armor
(x2) Longsword
(x2) Shortsword

Backpack
Theives' picks
Waterskin
Explorer's Outfit (Yes I know not 2nd edition but I just spent the gold as per 3rd edition rules so it should cover the list of things I would wear)
Belt Pouch
Grappling Hook
(50ft) Hemp rope
Whetstone
Large sack
Winter blanket
Flint/Steel
(10)Chalk
(3) Torches

Only thing I don't have done is saving throws, but I should have that done by the time we start. There you go and I'm ready to start whenever.

Edit Note: Changed my stats around and WP some.

Edit: Physical Description: Malythiir stands 6'2'' and weighs 157 pounds, and looks highly agile and atheletic from his years in the woods as a scout in Cormanthor. He has silver-white shoulder length hair, green eyes with golden flecks, and his skin is fair tinged with blue and looks to be the age of 120 by elven perception. He dresses as a wilderness scout should with brown, grey, and green clothing to blend into his surroundings. He carries two longswords on each side of his hips and his two shortswords on his back with his gear. He always looks prepared to head off at a moments notice and usually can be seen in his leather armor to hold testiment to this truth.

Edited by - Ghost King on 26 Jul 2009 23:42:42
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  19:16:59  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personal Information
Name: Burt Finklestein
Race: Gnome
Height: 3'1"
Class: Psionicist
Level: 1
Weight: 79 lbs
XP: 0
Alignment: Lawful Good
Kit: None

Ability Scores
Str: 13
Weight Allowance: 45 lbs
Bend Bars/Lift Gates: 4%
Attack Adj.: +0
Damage Adj.: +0
Max. Press: 140 lbs
Open Doors: 7

Dex: 14
Missile Adjustment: +0
Pick Pockets: +0%
Open Locks: +0%
Reaction Adjustment: +0
Armor Class: +0
Move Silently: +0%
Climb Walls: +0%

Con: 17
System Shock: 97%
Poison Save: +0
Hit Point Adjustment: +2(+3)
Resurrection Chance: 98%

Int: 14
Max. Spell Level: 7th
Max. Spells Per Level: 9
Illusion Immunity: None
Bonus Proficiencies: 4
Chance to Learn New Spell: 60%

Wis: 18
Bonus Clerical Spells: 2, 2, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0
Clerical Spell Failure Chance: 0%
Magic Defense Adjustment: +4
Spell Immunity: None

Cha: 12
Loyalty Base: +0
Maximum Number of Henchmen: 5
Initial Reaction Adjustment: +0

Saving Throws
Paralyzation: 16
Poison: 16
Death Magic: 16
Petrification: 17
Polymorph: 17
Rod: 14
Staff: 14
Wand: 14
Breath Weapon: 20
Spell: 15

Combat
Hit Points: 6
Base THAC0: 20

Armor
Natural armor class 10
Full armor, hide -4
Shield, small adj. -1
FINAL: 5

Weapon Proficiencies
Hand Crossbow
Sword, short

Non-Weapon Proficiencies
Agriculture 14
Contact 18
Heraldry 14
Leather Working 14
Meditative Focus 19
Reading/Writing 15
Religion 18
Sculpting 18
Native Languages
Common, Gnome

Weapons
Sword, short
THAC0 20
Attacks 1
Speed 3
Damage 1d8

Short Bow
THAC0 20
Attacks 1
Speed 7
Damage 1d6

Racial Abilities
Infravision - 60' infravision range.
Melee combat bonus - +1 bonus on their attack rolls vs. kobolds and goblins - the gnomes' traditional rivals for space and resources. Also, gnolls, bugbears, ogres, half-ogres, ogre magi, trolls, giants, and titans suffer a -4 penalty on their attack rolls vs. gnomes.
Mining detection abilities - A character with this skill is familiar with mining, tunneling, and stonework. By concentrating for one round the character can:
Determine the approximate depth underground, 1-4 on 1d6.
Determine approximate direction underground, 1-3 on 1d6.
Detect any grade or slope in the passage they are passing through, 1-5 on 1d6.
Detect unsafe walls, ceilings, or floors, 1-7 on 1d10.
Saving throw bonus - Gnomes receive a bonus to their saves vs. wand, staves, rods, and spells. For every 3.5 points of their
Constitution/Health score, the gnome will receive a +1 bonus to the save.

Class Abilities
Psionicist
Armor Use - May use light armor.
Contact - The psionicist receives the contact proficiency and gains attack modes as shown on the Psionic Progression table in the Skills & Powers book.
Followers - The psionicist becomes a contemplative master at 9th level. A 1st level psionicist arrives each month to study with the master.
Guarded Mind - The psionicist gains a +2 bonus to all saving throws against spells from the enchantment/charm school.
Mental Defense - The psionicist can close his mind to psychic contact and gains defense modes. The psionicist also receives a +2 bonus to his mental armor class.
Weapon Use - The psionicist can employ the following weapons: short bow, throwing axe, hand crossbow, horseman's mace, light crossbow. horseman's pick, dagger, scimitar, dirk, spear, knife, short sword, club, war hammer, hand axe.

Psionics
PSPs: 28
MTHAC0: 20
MAC: 5
Devotions: 3
Sciences: 1
Disciplines: 1
Attacks: Ego Whip (EW)
Defenses: Tower of Iron Will (TW)

Psychokinetic (Primary)

Sciences
Power Telekinesis
PSPs 3+/1
Range 30 yards
Area of Effect 1 Item
MAC 8

Devotions
Power Molecular Agitation
PSPs 7/3
Range 40 yards
Area of Effect 1 Item, 20 pounds
MAC 10
Power Magnatize
PSPs 2/1
Range 30 yards
Area of Effect One object
MAC 8
Power Static Discharge
PSPs 5/2
Range 15 yards
Area of Effect One creature
MAC 7

Inventory
Items Carried
Backpack
Dry rations (1 week)
Flint and steel
Paper (per sheet)
Torch x3
Wineskin
Writing ink (per vial)
Quill
Short Bow
Items Readied
Sword, short
Items Worn
Full armor, hide
Shield, small
Spending Money
* Copper Pieces x7
* Gold Pieces x21
* Silver Pieces x6

Roll = Roll

Edited by - Tyr on 26 Jul 2009 10:33:53
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  05:13:46  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something that Barshevy did that I found extremely helpful was to set up a Google spreadsheet with all the information we could think of, assembled in one place. Being shameless, I stole the idea and have set up a similar site.

I've filled in everything that I can, and everything that people have sent me. Please double check and make sure I transferred everything correctly. As more information comes in, I'll get it up there. Also, if you think something is missing or can be made more clear, I'm always open to suggestions.

Those of you who have sent me character information will be receiving PM's from me shortly with comments.

Link

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  06:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I've been busy with some other stuff over the past few days. Still, I have about half a sheet for Essentyl done, and here it is.
Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  14:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all, I'd be happy to round out the group as your sixth member. Just finished reading the entire thread so I think I have a decent handle on whats up so far. I'd be very interested in playing a spellcaster, but am truly open to any class. I know Brynweir was a bit hesitant to select a mage and if she wanted to switch it up I'd be happy to step in, or if two mages in the group wouldn't be all bad we can go that route as well. Also, if Bryn wants to stay a mage and the group really needs some other class badly you can stick me there. The only thing I'd like to stay away from is psionicist as I have no experience with it and own no material discussing them.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  16:17:08  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a lot in my head right now... Do we have anyone who can heal?

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  16:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Essentyl's a specialty priest, and can heal.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  16:52:13  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Arivia's starsinger has major access to the Healing sphere. And Necromantic, for that matter.

Good to see you Cardoc. I was hoping to get six people, so this works out well. So far we've got all the bases covered, and duplication in the fighter position. Since you want to be a spellcaster, that leaves your options totally open. Why don't you PM me a couple of ideas, and we'll go from there?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000