Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Downshadow contest
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  03:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am running a contest on my blog for a free copy of my new book, Downshadow: http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/187972.html

Here's the description of the book on Wizards:

Downshadow
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep
Erik Scott de Bie

A dangerous, subterranean labyrinth haunted by outlaws and monsters.

The upper reaches of the legendary Undermountain.

The only law is that of the sword in

Downshadow

Ever wondered what it's really like to be a paladin? A holy knight, struggling to live in a very unholy city? A city crowded with tempting women who take a great interest in you, and old enemies increasingly thirsty for your doom?
Downshadow shows you, in a tale packed with battles, betrayals, sticky situations, lurking foes . . . and the deadly rooms and passages of Waterdeep's most dangerous neighborhood of all: Downshadow, beneath the cobbles and cellars and the sewers that underlie them.
This is one wild ride. I highly recommend it, have read it several times through, and look forward to re-reading it many times more!

-- Ed Greenwood

There's also a sample chapter to download: the prologue and chapter 1

And even if you don't win, I'm selling signed copies of the book to anyone who wants one. Just let me know!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  03:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And because I just can't get enough of this feedback that Ed relayed me through THO, here's this:

"Erik, I mean every word of it, and more. My chief personal delight in the published Realms is when I get to read great new stories set in "my" world (now, of course, really "our" world) that I didn't write. I LOVED Downshadow.
(Actually, I've loved all of the books I've read thus far in this series, though all in quite different ways. Rosemary's City of the Dead is magnificent and great fun, too, but it's very different from Downshadow.*)
So you EARNED all that praise, my friend, and I hope you get many more chances, in the Realms and in your own fantasy settings, from other publishers, to earn a lot more. If you write something that I can walk into a bookstore and order or pluck off the shelf a copy of, I'll be buying and hurrying home to read. Just as I always hurry home to read Elaine's stuff, Realms or not, and - -
No, I'm NOT going to start in on the long, long list. This is about you; this is your moment, and deservedly so.
Scribes of the Realms, if you turn your back on this book, because it's 4e Realms or for any other reason, you're missing out on a darned good read (and re-read!) yarn.
Heck, when it comes right down to it, you can enjoy this book whilst pretending it isn't 4e at all, but instead only about ten years ahead of the LAST time you nosed around Waterdeep, whenever in your 3e campaign or fiction reading that was. Or you can read it and enjoy it and not care about when it's set, or even look up and say, "So this is 4e Realms? Okay, fine, if it's all like this book, bring it on!"
I have 80,000 books crammed into my home, and I work in a public library and am board chair of a (different) library system, and have toiled in public libraries for pay for 35 years-plus, now; I have read a LOT of fantasy books. In one recent year I judged the World Fantasy Award, and literally read thousands (yes, no exaggeration: thousands, plural) of fantasy tales published that year. Right now, I'm judging the Sunbursts, Canada's sf and fantasy awards, and reading another year's truckload of works. So I get to read, ah, much fantasy.
And there's never enough GOOD fun "cracking good read" fantasy. For me, this is one such book, so it's a "must-have" for my library.
An eternal literary classic? No.
A darned good read, that I'm proud to have set in the Realms? YES.
Erik, if *I * owned Wizards and ran the book publishing program, I'd already be hounding you for another book. In hardcover, just as soon as you could get it done. You and Paul Kemp and Jaleigh and one or two others are the bright lights who should be leading the charge onto the general fantasy bestseller lists, not just "oh, that gaming fantasy stuff" subgenre recognition.
I wish, oh Watching Gods above how I wish, that Brian Thomsen hadn't died when he did. SO much stopped with him. You getting a Tor Book fantasy debut was one of those things, and in these current economic hard times for the publishing industry, getting that back on track is going to take some time. I laid some groundwork at Ad Astra this weekend . . . but in the meantime, we all have DOWNSHADOW to enjoy.
Scribes, get out there and enjoy it!"

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  05:30:00  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to <i>have</i> to read this.
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  05:34:32  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be stopping by my local B&N tomorrow to get this novel, might enter the contest for the heck of it too if I remember!

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  05:44:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is awesome news!

Though, as I said on Erik's blog:-

"In the interest of keeping things fair, I'll opt out of this contest. Since I won the previous contest Erik ran for a signed copy of "Depths of Madness" back in '07.

But I will wish my fellow 'de Bie-ites' the very best of luck in their own attempts.

Oh, and I'll be availing myself of your generous offer, Erik. Though I've already got a copy pre-ordered here, I'll also want a signed copy from you as well."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  08:46:49  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

And even if you don't win, I'm selling signed copies of the book to anyone who wants one. Just let me know!
If and when, I certainly will Erik. You know my stance, but I will give "the prologue and chapter 1" a try, as I have read and appreciated Ed's comments on Downshadow.

For others, here's Erik's instructions on how:
quote:
- Send me an email (erikscottdebie AT yahoo.com).

- We work out payment details ($8 for Downshadow, $7 for any of the others, + a little shipping) and what you'd like me to write to you.

- I send you the book.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Acolyte

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  16:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How long will this Contest be on?

For I would really like to participate but... well I haven't read any of your stories so far, except for the sample chapter of Downshadow (But the Knight fighting in the prologue seems to be an interesting guy)

What about participants from Overseas in general? I wouldn't want the shipping cost to skyrocket
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  17:16:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just entered.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  18:22:02  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I entered in the contest, too.

And later I will see with you about some signed copies (heck, shipping tomes to here will take me some good gold pieces - but well deserved

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  18:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I respect your policy Kyrene, and whatever you want to do is fine by me--let your own judgment be the, er, judge.

Erethar, I fully appreciate the situation you're in as well. Overseas participants are more than welcome, but I wouldn't want you taking an uncomfortable chance on me. Go ahead and enter the contest while it's on (I figure through the weekend or so), and we'll work something out.

In the meantime, there are also the companion stories GW and DoM you might check out ("Wayfarer" and "That Time of the Tenday" ), as well as the sample chapter for Depths of Madness.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  00:43:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erethar, to follow up--

I checked on shipping rates to Germany while I was at the PO today, and it's only like $6. So you wouldn't be putting me out more than a couple lattes.

Go ahead and enter!

Cheers

P.S. Also, the contest is going to go a few days, and then the winners will be announced, and THEN I'll mail things. With shipping speed being what it is, it will probably be 3 weeks before you get your signed book. Just letting you know--so if you're keen to read it right away, you might want to buy another copy (which can turn into an excellent gift later on) for now--or check out your local library.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  01:46:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the comment with the the hot The fox at twilight was mine.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  09:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not wishing to inadevertantly spoil myself for Downshadow by reading your dedicated scroll, Erik, but did I hear a birdy correctly in that you're also getting something published outside of WotC?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  17:48:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working on it.

Right now I'm mostly in the "making important connections" phase. By the time I move to the "publishing now!" phase, I'll have a couple manuscripts ready.

But not to distract from Downshadow!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  21:16:20  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
Right now I'm mostly in the "making important connections" phase.

Translation: moves around conspirative taverns and drinking halls, buys rumormongers to promote him, hires skilled blades to dispose of potential competitors and bribes guild representatives...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  00:07:57  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Hides his dark red, wet blade into the sheath and whistles innocently as he moves close to Eric.*
"all competitiors clear, sir."

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  06:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That'll do, LB--that'll do.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2009 :  18:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any way to get an autographed copy even though the contest is over?

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2009 :  20:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sith_Lord_Drizzt

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie on his blog

P.S. Also, even if you aren't selected, you can always BUY a signed copy of Downshadow from me at any time. Here's what you do!

- We work out payment details ($8 for Downshadow, $7 for any of the others, + a little shipping) and what you'd like me to write to you.

- I send you the book.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 07 May 2009 20:10:12
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2009 :  21:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by Sith_Lord_Drizzt

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie on his blog

P.S. Also, even if you aren't selected, you can always BUY a signed copy of Downshadow from me at any time. Here's what you do!

- I send you the book.

Thanks HawkinstheDM! I should have read thru the posts more thoroughly.

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000