Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Downshadow contest

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 03:54:09
I am running a contest on my blog for a free copy of my new book, Downshadow: http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/187972.html

Here's the description of the book on Wizards:

Downshadow
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep
Erik Scott de Bie

A dangerous, subterranean labyrinth haunted by outlaws and monsters.

The upper reaches of the legendary Undermountain.

The only law is that of the sword in

Downshadow

Ever wondered what it's really like to be a paladin? A holy knight, struggling to live in a very unholy city? A city crowded with tempting women who take a great interest in you, and old enemies increasingly thirsty for your doom?
Downshadow shows you, in a tale packed with battles, betrayals, sticky situations, lurking foes . . . and the deadly rooms and passages of Waterdeep's most dangerous neighborhood of all: Downshadow, beneath the cobbles and cellars and the sewers that underlie them.
This is one wild ride. I highly recommend it, have read it several times through, and look forward to re-reading it many times more!

-- Ed Greenwood

There's also a sample chapter to download: the prologue and chapter 1

And even if you don't win, I'm selling signed copies of the book to anyone who wants one. Just let me know!

Cheers

19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sith_Lord_Drizzt Posted - 07 May 2009 : 21:00:31
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by Sith_Lord_Drizzt

Is there any way to get an autographed copy even though the contest is over?

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie on his blog

P.S. Also, even if you aren't selected, you can always BUY a signed copy of Downshadow from me at any time. Here's what you do!

- Send me an email (erikscottdebie AT yahoo.com).

- We work out payment details ($8 for Downshadow, $7 for any of the others, + a little shipping) and what you'd like me to write to you.

- I send you the book.

Thanks HawkinstheDM! I should have read thru the posts more thoroughly.
Hawkins Posted - 07 May 2009 : 20:09:40
quote:
Originally posted by Sith_Lord_Drizzt

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie on his blog

P.S. Also, even if you aren't selected, you can always BUY a signed copy of Downshadow from me at any time. Here's what you do!

- We work out payment details ($8 for Downshadow, $7 for any of the others, + a little shipping) and what you'd like me to write to you.

- I send you the book.
Sith_Lord_Drizzt Posted - 07 May 2009 : 18:14:32
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 06 May 2009 : 06:49:52
That'll do, LB--that'll do.

Cheers
LucianBarasu Posted - 06 May 2009 : 00:07:57
*Hides his dark red, wet blade into the sheath and whistles innocently as he moves close to Eric.*
"all competitiors clear, sir."

skychrome Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 21:16:20
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
Right now I'm mostly in the "making important connections" phase.

Translation: moves around conspirative taverns and drinking halls, buys rumormongers to promote him, hires skilled blades to dispose of potential competitors and bribes guild representatives...
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 17:48:57
Working on it.

Right now I'm mostly in the "making important connections" phase. By the time I move to the "publishing now!" phase, I'll have a couple manuscripts ready.

But not to distract from Downshadow!

Cheers
Kyrene Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 09:09:59
Not wishing to inadevertantly spoil myself for Downshadow by reading your dedicated scroll, Erik, but did I hear a birdy correctly in that you're also getting something published outside of WotC?
sfdragon Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 01:46:35
the comment with the the hot The fox at twilight was mine.....
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 00:43:11
Erethar, to follow up--

I checked on shipping rates to Germany while I was at the PO today, and it's only like $6. So you wouldn't be putting me out more than a couple lattes.

Go ahead and enter!

Cheers

P.S. Also, the contest is going to go a few days, and then the winners will be announced, and THEN I'll mail things. With shipping speed being what it is, it will probably be 3 weeks before you get your signed book. Just letting you know--so if you're keen to read it right away, you might want to buy another copy (which can turn into an excellent gift later on) for now--or check out your local library.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 18:55:54
I respect your policy Kyrene, and whatever you want to do is fine by me--let your own judgment be the, er, judge.

Erethar, I fully appreciate the situation you're in as well. Overseas participants are more than welcome, but I wouldn't want you taking an uncomfortable chance on me. Go ahead and enter the contest while it's on (I figure through the weekend or so), and we'll work something out.

In the meantime, there are also the companion stories GW and DoM you might check out ("Wayfarer" and "That Time of the Tenday" ), as well as the sample chapter for Depths of Madness.

Cheers
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 18:22:02
And I entered in the contest, too.

And later I will see with you about some signed copies (heck, shipping tomes to here will take me some good gold pieces - but well deserved
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 17:16:08
I just entered.
Erethar Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 16:44:54
How long will this Contest be on?

For I would really like to participate but... well I haven't read any of your stories so far, except for the sample chapter of Downshadow (But the Knight fighting in the prologue seems to be an interesting guy)

What about participants from Overseas in general? I wouldn't want the shipping cost to skyrocket
Kyrene Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 08:46:49
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

And even if you don't win, I'm selling signed copies of the book to anyone who wants one. Just let me know!
If and when, I certainly will Erik. You know my stance, but I will give "the prologue and chapter 1" a try, as I have read and appreciated Ed's comments on Downshadow.

For others, here's Erik's instructions on how:
quote:

- I send you the book.
The Sage Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 05:44:59
This is awesome news!

Though, as I said on Erik's blog:-

"In the interest of keeping things fair, I'll opt out of this contest. Since I won the previous contest Erik ran for a signed copy of "Depths of Madness" back in '07.

But I will wish my fellow 'de Bie-ites' the very best of luck in their own attempts.

Oh, and I'll be availing myself of your generous offer, Erik. Though I've already got a copy pre-ordered here, I'll also want a signed copy from you as well."
hawkytom Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 05:34:32
I'll be stopping by my local B&N tomorrow to get this novel, might enter the contest for the heck of it too if I remember!
RodOdom Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 05:30:00
I'm going to <i>have</i> to read this.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 03:54:39
And because I just can't get enough of this feedback that Ed relayed me through THO, here's this:

"Erik, I mean every word of it, and more. My chief personal delight in the published Realms is when I get to read great new stories set in "my" world (now, of course, really "our" world) that I didn't write. I LOVED Downshadow.
(Actually, I've loved all of the books I've read thus far in this series, though all in quite different ways. Rosemary's City of the Dead is magnificent and great fun, too, but it's very different from Downshadow.*)
So you EARNED all that praise, my friend, and I hope you get many more chances, in the Realms and in your own fantasy settings, from other publishers, to earn a lot more. If you write something that I can walk into a bookstore and order or pluck off the shelf a copy of, I'll be buying and hurrying home to read. Just as I always hurry home to read Elaine's stuff, Realms or not, and - -
No, I'm NOT going to start in on the long, long list. This is about you; this is your moment, and deservedly so.
Scribes of the Realms, if you turn your back on this book, because it's 4e Realms or for any other reason, you're missing out on a darned good read (and re-read!) yarn.
Heck, when it comes right down to it, you can enjoy this book whilst pretending it isn't 4e at all, but instead only about ten years ahead of the LAST time you nosed around Waterdeep, whenever in your 3e campaign or fiction reading that was. Or you can read it and enjoy it and not care about when it's set, or even look up and say, "So this is 4e Realms? Okay, fine, if it's all like this book, bring it on!"
I have 80,000 books crammed into my home, and I work in a public library and am board chair of a (different) library system, and have toiled in public libraries for pay for 35 years-plus, now; I have read a LOT of fantasy books. In one recent year I judged the World Fantasy Award, and literally read thousands (yes, no exaggeration: thousands, plural) of fantasy tales published that year. Right now, I'm judging the Sunbursts, Canada's sf and fantasy awards, and reading another year's truckload of works. So I get to read, ah, much fantasy.
And there's never enough GOOD fun "cracking good read" fantasy. For me, this is one such book, so it's a "must-have" for my library.
An eternal literary classic? No.
A darned good read, that I'm proud to have set in the Realms? YES.
Erik, if *I * owned Wizards and ran the book publishing program, I'd already be hounding you for another book. In hardcover, just as soon as you could get it done. You and Paul Kemp and Jaleigh and one or two others are the bright lights who should be leading the charge onto the general fantasy bestseller lists, not just "oh, that gaming fantasy stuff" subgenre recognition.
I wish, oh Watching Gods above how I wish, that Brian Thomsen hadn't died when he did. SO much stopped with him. You getting a Tor Book fantasy debut was one of those things, and in these current economic hard times for the publishing industry, getting that back on track is going to take some time. I laid some groundwork at Ad Astra this weekend . . . but in the meantime, we all have DOWNSHADOW to enjoy.
Scribes, get out there and enjoy it!"

Cheers

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000