Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Downshadow *****SPOILERS*****
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  20:46:40  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There are a lot of spoilers so don't read if you haven't read the book yet. Or proceed if spoilers don't bother you!

Wow! Wow! And WOW! Erik, you have outdone yourself! I can see this novel becoming an instant classic! In my opinion, this is one of the best novels about the Realms out there. I've been a fan of yours since "The Greater Treasure" and each novel of yours just keeps getting better and better! Your writing reminds me a lot of Ed's writing, with Salvatore and Kemp mixed in there as well as your own personal touch. I've never re-read a novel before (because there are just so many out there) but I can definitely see myself re-reading this one.

The characters in this novel were brilliantly written. These are just my opinions so correct me if I'm incorrect in my thinking.

Kalen's story worked so well on many levels. You have a character here that's been affected by the Spellplague which has given him strength and "super human" abilities, while also knowing that it's killing him. Instead of moping around he takes it upon himself to protect the people of Waterdeep from the menaces of Downshadow, knowing fully that the more he relies on his strength the quicker his impending doom. He has basicly taken on the responsibility of protecting citizens becuase if not him, then who? But that also leads to his flaw in my opinion. His vision of justice and honor blinds him to the fact that he can't make decisions for others. This is why Rayse was always so frustrated with him! He's also constantly battling himself with what's "right and honorable" versus his desires. I could go into more but that would take too long. I do want to say that I loved his abilities. He's a great fighter! I'm glad you didn't make him overly powerful and that he's best
ed by others on some occasions.

I loved Fayne! She reminded me of a younger Fox at Twilight in The Greater Treasure. Flirty and fun but always had a secret agenda and used everybody as pawns in her game. Her game almost ended the way she wanted too, but for her flaw of her over-confidence in herself. She believes that by playing people a certain way (which probably worked for her 99% of the times) she can play the game to her advantage. However, she learned at the end of the novel that that's not always the case! I'm glad she survived.

Now Rath....well he intrigued me the most. A beardless dwarf! Just awesome! He was in some ways the antithesis of Shadowbane and in others very similar. He had a flawed sense of honor (although that's my opinion....and it probably wasn't flawed in his opinion....wait...now I'm thinking like Kalen....)! I really didn't think he was a pawn, but I was proven wrong in the end. I'm very interested to finding out more about his past. What made him turn his back of the Dwarven pantheon? Where did he acquire his skill in fighting and his speed? Hopefully you can shed some light on that..

Myrin was a great character as well. She seems so perfect for Kalen. Too bad he was too absorbed in his sense of "what's right for everybody" that he missed his chance. Although, from the ending of the book, it looks as if there's going to be more to this story. I loved her Spellplague ability to absorb people's powers and throw it back at them. She's such a mystery. One thing that confused me was when she was seeing Fayne's vision, and she saw herself in it, was she actually there during that event where Cythara was killed? I'm going to go back and read that part again.

Now to my favorites! Fox and Gargan! For some reason, I knew that the shadow was Gargan right from the beginning. I assumed that Lorien was Fox but something was off. It wasn't until the dance scene with Kalen that I realized that Ilira was Fox. And of course the tatoo sealed the deal. I really like how you very subtly placed them in this novel. They didn't have a main role but you put enough in there to pique my curiousity as to what happened in the 100 years since we've seen them. Fox seems a little older and wiser but still has that same charm and naughtiness that we've seen throughout her stories. I hope you can tell us what happened to Gargan as well in a future novel.

As for the story, it was great. So fast paced and full of adventure, fighting, comedy and even a bit of romance. This book had it all! Three scenes really stuck out for me. They were so well written that I felt like I was watching a movie. The chapter where Fayne walked into Kalen's apartment was hilarious! I was laughing out loud. The other two scenes were of course the chapter with the dance between Kalen and Ilara (Fox). Something about all the imagery really stuck out. And last, the vision that Myrin saw through Fayne's eyes of Fox, Yldar, and Cythara. Very well done! I'm really hoping that the ending of the novel means we'll be seeing more of Ilara (Fox), Gargan, Fayne, Myrin, and of course Kalen!

One question I do have is who is the patron? He reminds me of Yldar but I'm assuming it's not him. Is it the same individual (can't remember his name) from The Greater Treasure that Cythara ends up with? Also, was that Fox's sword (or rather Neveren's sword) Betrayal that the patron was carrying?

I can go on and on about how great this book is! I didn't realize this post turned out so long! Thanks as always for a truly wonderful read.

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".

Edited by - Sith_Lord_Drizzt on 23 Apr 2009 20:49:15

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  21:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SLD, thank you for the kind and flattering words. It is extremely gratifying that you enjoyed the novel, and I look forward to entertaining you thusly in future novels as well!

I'm quite pleased and flattered by the comparison to three masters working in the Realms. I was certainly channeling Ed a goodly bit in this book--which I thought appropriate, writing in his city as I was--and we compared notes quite a bit along the way. Also Elaine bears some of the credit, for that scene in chapter 11 I think it is, with Danilo's poetry.

I shall answer your questions (continue the SPOILERS warning)--if you have more specific queries about particular chapters, feel free to pop into the book club too!

I think you nailed all the characters very well in your feedback, and I'm glad you found them compelling!

@Fayne: Good catch! The resemblance between Fayne and Fox-at-Twilight is no coincidence. I don't know if you picked up on it, but Fayne's ire against Lady Ilira/Twilight (the object of her long-standing grudge) has inspired her to make herself purposefully like her, i.e., beat her at her own game. If you do re-read the novel, check out her first conversation with her patron (where he writes the three words on a slip of paper, "two short, one long"--Fayne doesn't at first recognize the name, because it isn't the one she uses today). But where Twilight's rampant sensuality and manipulativeness is tempered by a streak of goodness and care about others, Fayne doesn't have that, and so she is a consummate villain. (That was my intention anyway!)

@Rath: I hope to unfold Rath's mysteries more in future novels. Suffice it to say, he has some inner demons that have shaped his life and worldview, causing him to feel like an outcast from his people. Clearly, this choice was partially his (shaving his beard, becoming a monastic, etc.), but I left it purposefully unclear what exactly pushed him into it. I just didn't have the space, but I hope Rath will be back in a later book. My goal with his character was to present a good, non-stereotypical dwarf character, since I was looking through my other writing and came up short as regards dwarves. I just hadn't taken one on before, so I thought I'd give it a shot. As for his abilities, I was going for a Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon/Jet Li vibe, since he's a monk and monks are (of course) cool. :)

@Myrin: Another character I intend to use in a future book (as intimated by Lilten citing her as his goal all along), I'll explore some of her mysteries later. You nailed her ability right, and it's the applications of that ability that could prove dangerous for her--and the world. That whole sort of "in the wrong hands" thing.. And it isn't clear that Myrin's hands are even the right ones--remember when she stole the lich woman's power? Just before she lost control of it, she thought some particularly violent thoughts toward her. Basically, we don't know who she really is or what she's really capable of--who's to say whether she's a damsel in distress or a powerful evil sorceress deprived of her powers?

About the vision: Myrin's power activated when she touched Fayne, but instead of stealing Fayne's power, she took one of Fayne's memories--i.e.., her dream of the "girl in blue fire." I wanted to leave it mysterious and not explain it too much--that's for a later book.

@Twilight and Gargan: This obviously wasn't their book, and they worked well as supporting characters. I hope to explore them quite a bit more in a future book--this was basically a reintroduction of them into the 4e FR as characters that readers would want to read more about. It's part of my strategy for unveiling Twilight's story, which I started way back in The Greater Treasure.

@Lilten (Fayne's patron): Good guesses as to his identity--at this point, I can neither confirm nor deny. He's actually been mentioned by name a couple times before (in one of the novels) but never actually appeared until now. And yes, that WAS Betrayal he was wearing (which makes one wonder where/how he acquired it).

@Yldar and Cythara: I'm glad you liked their short appearance, and while that may seem like a conclusion to their story, there's much more to be said. There are secrets aplenty there, which I hope to unveil later.

So ultimately, as much as this book was it's own standalone story, it's also serving two additional purposes: 1) picking up threads from my previous stuff (not that you have to have read it--it just means something different if you have), and 2) setting up a LOT of things that I hope to do with my next Realms novel(s). We'll see what happens.

Again, thank you--and I hope others enjoy the novel as much as you seem to have done.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  17:52:39  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Erik! Do you have any plans to write about Kalen (Shadowbane) as well? I thought that he was a great character. The ending of the novel made me assume that there's still more to see of him. Also, I love the cover of Downshadow....what part of the novel did that take place in? Did you have any input as to the cover?

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  19:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, there is certainly more of Kalen's story to tell, as there is for Myrin, Fayne, Ilira, Lilten, and even Rath. I've certainly got lots more in store--we'll see what materializes. The story is definitely not over--in fact, it's just beginning.

As for the cover, that is the grim statue, which is the site of Rath and Kalen's final battle in Downshadow. In this case, I had enough input to suggest what image they choose, and they went with my suggestion, no question. I thought it was an iconic Undermountain image to appeal to old-school fans of the Realms (like myself).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  20:05:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rath was definitely interesting, and I should like to know more about him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  20:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to tell, but I'd rather leave Rath to speculation.

What could make him hate being a dwarf so much?

What do you think his "urges" are?

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  23:43:19  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think myself, the dedication page is the most interesting. *smiles and looks to ESDB*
What? you didn't think I had an account here too, did you?
Thank you E. I am honored and proud to call you friend.

The book does indeed rock. I love the characters and I love Rath.

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  00:18:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I knew you had an account here, CSG. You just don't realize that you've fallen into my clever lure to pull you back to Candlekeep. Ya ha!

Except now I've gone and given away the trap. (Curses!)

Thanks and you're welcome. I kind of expected Rath would be your favorite character. Not sure why--just a feeling.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  14:47:42  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A thought just struck me....are we to assume that Kalen retrieved Vindicator back since he didn't meet his doom at the end of this novel?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  15:17:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sith_Lord_Drizzt

A thought just struck me....are we to assume that Kalen retrieved Vindicator back since he didn't meet his doom at the end of this novel?

I suppose I never actually said, but . . . probably? It never actually came up.

It *is* the sort of sword that floats between wielders, fulfilling the purpose for which it was created, so it's entirely possible it passed to the hands of another.

I guess we'll have to find out in future books about him.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  21:48:48  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is myrim a deva

( I suppose I should remember how her name was spelled....)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  22:31:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Myrin, and . . . maybe!

I plan to unfold her mysterious background in future books. Y'know, if Downshadow proves successful and I get to revisit the characters.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  18:40:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

As for the cover, that is the grim statue, which is the site of Rath and Kalen's final battle in Downshadow. In this case, I had enough input to suggest what image they choose, and they went with my suggestion, no question. I thought it was an iconic Undermountain image to appeal to old-school fans of the Realms (like myself).

I was wondering what it was. It helped to paint a better picture in my head for that battle. Count me among those old school fans (I've used Undermountain in all my campaigns so far). Excellent novel Erik.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  18:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Al.

It's an interesting take on the Grim Statue--warped and changed from its previous incarnation. I like it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2009 :  08:21:29  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bit surprised by all the people who say they loved Fayne. She was a well-developed character, but the way she was all "in your face" towards Kalen made my hackles rise. I certainly expected him to blow up earlier than he did.

Also, she's a paparazzi. That places her somewhere beneath the carrion crawler on the likeability scale.

(On the other hand, Cellica was nothing but Mcawesomesauce all the time).

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2009 :  14:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Bit surprised by all the people who say they loved Fayne. She was a well-developed character, but the way she was all "in your face" towards Kalen made my hackles rise. I certainly expected him to blow up earlier than he did.
Also, she's a paparazzi. That places her somewhere beneath the carrion crawler on the likeability scale.

LOL! You totally nailed her.

My inspirations for her were two characters that you either hate or *love* to hate: Faith (from Buffy and Angel) and Mystique (from X-Men). Her theme song (for those who are interested in such things) is "Misery Business" by Paramore--can't listen to that song without thinking of her.

I'm very glad people have strong reactions to her, either positive or negative. It means she works as a character.

I also want to point out that the parallels between Fayne and Twilight are not accidental, as she points out clearly in the book--she's sort of trained all her life to be like that, except she's gone past the line that Twilight herself walked as an adventurer.

quote:
(On the other hand, Cellica was nothing but Mcawesomesauce all the time).

Glad you liked her.

I think she and Fayne are polar opposites: the one who is genuine and will tell you to your face what she thinks of you--right before she aims a large kick at your posterior--and the second who lies and manipulates to get her way, then laughs at everyone her schemes have ruined.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2009 :  18:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the book a 2nd time. Even better the 2nd time as I caught the tidbits that I missed in the first read!

The more I think about how you have set things up in this novel the more I truly hope that you get an opportunity to write a trilogy about Twilight/Ilira and Gargan. Even without actually writing a trilogy, you have given us an opportunity to read about (in my opinion) one of the best characters in the Realms! You've provided so much detail and history without actually providing a lot of detail and history....ummmm....does that make sense? LOL! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Kalen, Myrin, Rath, Fayne, Lilten, Yldar, Cythara and how their roles play out in the grand scheme of Twilight's story!

Once again, great job Erik!!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2009 :  00:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it so much, SLD. I do indeed have a lot more story to unveil--only time will tell if it materializes.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000