Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Where is Quilue's fight against the oozes?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  01:53:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Where is Quilue's fight against the oozes at what is now The Promenade chronicled? It is mentioned often in the WotSQ and in the "Lady Penitent" series, but I want to know where it was first mentioned and where it is best described. A little help, please?

P.S. As for my months-long absence, please let me say simply: phone company - cancelled their ISP contract - bad things happened -- three months to get everything(?) straightened out. OY!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  03:20:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's briefly touched on in both "If You Need Help -- Ask the Drow!" in DRAGON #176 and the Skullport accessory.

Errr... I'm sure there's another source, but I can't recall it at the moment.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  03:52:28  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Grand History of the Realms?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  04:58:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is also reported in some of the Deity books if I recall correctly.

One might look to _Seven Sisters and Heroes' Lorebook_ to learm a little more about

However from (website)

"Centuries ago, Eilistraee appeared to Qilue Veladorn and commanded the
young dark elf and her playmates from part of the now-vanished drow
settlement of Buiyrandyn-a small, poor gathering of drow families too
small to be considered a city-to take up the singing swords provided by
the Dark Maiden and destroy the Pit of Ghaunadaur. The Pit was a
mile-deep shaft whose upper terminus opened into the third level of
Halasters Halls. After a great battle that resulted in the destruction
of an avatar of the Elder Eye as well as the most of its slithering,
oozing, and creeping worshipers, the Pit was filled with rubble and the
caverns around its opening collapsed. (The rubble-filled Pit of
Ghaunadaur is located in the area north of Skull-port and west of
Eilistraee's Promenade."

IIRC Demi-Human Deities (Name?)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  05:04:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, 'tis from Eilistraee's entry in Demihuman Deities. The website in question should probably note the source that info came from.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  08:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, gentle scholars! Now I know. (And now if I could just find that book ... it's gotta be around here somewhe ... oh ... ahem! Thank you all.)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  14:46:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seven Sister's has it to. Pretty much any book about Qilue and or Eilistraee has it in there, if its from the 1e/2e material.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  14:57:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seven Sisters. Right... that's the one I was thinking of.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  05:43:27  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have three passages from DD copied out, but I wasn't able to post them. Where, pray, besides Demihuman Deities, is the southern Pit detailed?

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  20:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Below are the principally relevant passages, I think:

TSR 9585: Demihuman Deities, Eric L. Boyd, (c) 1998 TSR, Inc. AlISBN 0-7869-1239-1

quote:

Page 15: Centuries ago, Eilistraee appeared to Qilue Veladorn and commanded the young dark elf and her playmates from part of the now-vanished drow settlement of Buiyrandyn-a small, poor gathering of drow families too small to be considered a city-to take up the singing swords provided by the Dark Maiden and destroy the Pit of Ghaunadaur. The Pit was a mile-deep shaft whose upper terminus opened into the third level of Halasters {sic} Halls. After a great battle that resulted in the destruction of an avatar of the Elder Eye as well as the most of its slithering, oozing, and creeping worshipers, the Pit was filled with rubble and the caverns around its opening collapsed. (The rubble-filled Pit of Ghaunadaur is located in the area north of Skull-port and west of Eilistraee's Promenade. The only remaining access to the rubble-filled Pit is via a long, twisting staircase capped by Eilistraee's Mound.) Qilue and the rest of the Chosen of Eilistraee then took up responsibility for patrolling the region in armed, vigilant tours mockingly referred to as promenades by other inhabitants of the area.

Page 20: Major Centers of Worship: In the South, deep beneath the heart of Sarenestar (also known as the Forest of Mir) is a place of great power sacred to Ghaunadaur. This ancient subterranean site was discovered by Clan Hune of Ilythiir prior to the Fourth Crown War. Following their discovery, the dark elves built a great temple around a massive pit in which dwelt a monstrous creature of evil placed there by the Elder Eye. When the temple, known as the Elder Orb of Ooze, was completed, the leaders of Clan Hune sought to draw on Ghaunadaur's power in preparation for the coming conflict with Keltormir. The inscrutable Elder Elemental God was displeased, however, and it lashed out of {sic} the fools who dared call on its name by causing countless oozes, slimes, jellies, and other horrid monsters to erupt from the pit and attack everything they encountered. Many of Clan Hune's leaders were destroyed, and the temple was abandoned shortly thereafter. Although its location has been long-since forgotten, the ruined temple still exists today, its defenses still active. Ghaunadaur assuredly inflicts his wrath on any solid foolish enough to profane his place of power, and some believe that fate of the wizard Shond Tharovin was sealed when the would-be tyrant removed the Living Gem from the temple.

In the North, the Elder Eye's place of greatest power was the Pit of Ghaunadaur, located deep beneath Mount Waterdeep. Several years after her birth in the Year of the Awakening Wyrm (767 DR), Qilue Veladorn, Chosen of Mystra and Eilistraee, led a handful of her dark elven playmates from their tiny, now-vanished settlement of Buiyrandyn in an assault on the Pit of Ghaunadaur. After destroying an avatar of Ghaunadaur resident therein and causing its minions to flee or be destroyed, the Chosen of Eilistraee (as the dark elven children were collectively known) sealed the downward fissures and tunnels in the temple by which Ghaunadaur's surviving minions had fled and caused a rockfall that filled what was left of the Pit of Ghaunadaur. After centuries of patrolling the passages around the Pit, the Chosen built a temple of Eilistraee, which they named the Promenade, atop the long-sealed Pit. That Which Lurks has never accepted the loss of its place of power in what is now the third level of Undermountain north and east of the subterranean city of Skullport, and its minions have remained active in the region. For several years, a circle of ghaunadan based in a small temple to the Elder Eye in a hidden cellar beneath a warehouse in Dock Ward have been active in Waterdeep and Halastar's Halls. In the Year of the Banner (1368 DR), Ghaunadaur's cultists-12 ghaunadan commanders and approximately 50 semi-intelligent slimes and oozes - began a full-scale assault on the Promenade from the northern and eastern caverns that lasted several months. While the Chosen of Eilistraee ultimately prevailed-thanks in part to the assistance of Qilue's sister, Laeral Silverhand-and drove off their foes, the followers of Ghaunadaur were not destroyed, and the cult continues to rebuild its strength in preparation for another assault.

So, sages and scholars of the lore of yore: do we know much more about this southern center of worship, and where might lore relating to it be found, other than here, of course?

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 16 Feb 2009 20:16:34
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  22:31:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If You Need Help -- Ask the Drow!
by Ed Greenwood and Steven E. Schend

"The temple complex, also known as Eilistraee’s Promenade, occupies the large ruined city east and north of Skullport (and to the west and south of the Eye’s lair). "

"The Chosen’s first act was to seal off this unholy place, eventually triggering the rockfall that almost completely filled the former place of Ghaunadaur. Qilué, when she recovered, had lost the special fires of the Lady but was marked with a wisdom and a grasp of magic from that day forth. She quickly became the first -- and thus far only -- high priestess of the Chosen. At first, the drow dwelt in wandering bands in the area, resisting permanent habitations and contact with others. Their armed, vigilant tours in the caverns around the sealed Pit of Ghaunadaur were mockingly called “promenades” by other dark elves, but they proudly took that term for their own."

There also is in that article some specification as to size and staus of reconstruction at that time. Perhaps other data of interest.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 16 Feb 2009 22:35:01
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  04:42:43  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Good and generous scholars, is there a published map of the Promenade and its surroundings? I just glossed over dozens of pages of Ascendancy of the Last because I had no idea at all where people were in relation to each other -- up, down, sideways, on another plane, standing outside a pay door on a Ryanair flight ... where?!?!

I think that "UM L3" and "UM L7" were involved in some of the running back and forth, but consultation of City of Splendors, tells me, in Hasbro's best fashion, that now that they have my money for that book, I have to buy four other products which may or may not have the information I need. Of course, I could download some of that material, and going through the maps page by page in pdf format shouldn't take more than three days....

Hasbro, would it have been so hard to just put a map into the front of the novel?

I am very glad that I am almost done with Hasbro's D&D products ... just a few more third edition books, and maybe the Undead.New.Coke book, and that's it -- my Realms purchasing thereafter will be restricted to TSR products.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  04:49:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "If You Need Help -- Ask the Drow!" article I initially referenced has a map.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  05:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. At the moment I can't check to see if I have #176, but I shall now go hunting for it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  07:05:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Thanks. At the moment I can't check to see if I have #176, but I shall now go hunting for it.

Ping me with your email address. I long ago copied the article -- and the map -- to Word, so I can send it to you. I'll replace the screencapped map I put in the document with one extracted from the actual file, if I can. I didn't have the full version of Adobe when I first made that file, several years back.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Feb 2009 07:16:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  07:13:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Ping me with your email address. I long ago copied the article -- and the map -- to Word, so I can send it to you. I'll replace the screencapped map I put in the document with one extracted from the actual file, if I can.
I was actually going to offer to do that myself, but I know Jamallo likes to have access to the actual printed stuff, so I didn't bother.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  07:17:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Ping me with your email address. I long ago copied the article -- and the map -- to Word, so I can send it to you. I'll replace the screencapped map I put in the document with one extracted from the actual file, if I can.
I was actually going to offer to do that myself, but I know Jamallo likes to have access to the actual printed stuff, so I didn't bother.

*shrugs* I can understand that. Still, I at least can offer a jpeg of the map of the temple -- I was able to extract it from the pdf.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  07:21:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, the other alternative, is to simply purchase and download the PDF for DRAGON #176 from paizo.com, or check nobleknight.com for a second hand printed copy.

There's some good info in that article, so whatever "legal" way you can gain access to it, is probably good enough.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  17:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Purchase" a pdf? What is this "purchase" of which you spea ... oh ... wait ... I remember how to do that!

(Way off topic, but since you are the "cool kids" and probably know: how much of the "Rules Cyclopedia" was taken up with what we would today call "Epic levels" -- i.e. the "Immortals"? I have toyed with getting a pdf of it or even -- fat chance! -- buying a cheap copy from eBay, but if there isn't much of what I am interested, I may go the pdf route. Class...?)

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 28 Feb 2009 17:42:29
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  18:33:13  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br(Way off topic, but since you are the "cool kids" and probably know: how much of the "Rules Cyclopedia" was taken up with what we would today call "Epic levels" -- i.e. the "Immortals"? I have toyed with getting a pdf of it or even -- fat chance! -- buying a cheap copy from eBay, but if there isn't much of what I am interested, I may go the pdf route. Class...?)

The Rules Cyclopedia did not cover immortals - it covered OD&D levels 1-36 (bascially the same scope as the old Basic, Expert, Companion, and Master sets). Immortals were covered in a separate boxed set, Wrath of the Immortals. In my view, regardless of whether it covers Immortals or not, the Rules Cyclopedia is one of the best (A)D&D books ever produced.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  18:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ping me with your email address. I long ago copied the article -- and the map -- to Word, so I can send it to you. I'll replace the screencapped map I put in the document with one extracted from the actual file, if I can. I didn't have the full version of Adobe when I first made that file, several years back.

If you can (legally) send conmeone a copy of that article, I'd love to have one myself if that's okay.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  20:43:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

If you can (legally) send conmeone a copy of that article, I'd love to have one myself if that's okay.

Ping me your email addie. I may have it, but I've gotten so many emails from folks here -- from their real names, often -- that I'm not sure who all I have email addies for!

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  22:56:24  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:
[br(Way off topic, but since you are the "cool kids" and probably know: how much of the "Rules Cyclopedia" was taken up with what we would today call "Epic levels" -- i.e. the "Immortals"? I have toyed with getting a pdf of it or even -- fat chance! -- buying a cheap copy from eBay, but if there isn't much of what I am interested, I may go the pdf route. Class...?)

The Rules Cyclopedia did not cover immortals - it covered OD&D levels 1-36 (bascially the same scope as the old Basic, Expert, Companion, and Master sets). Immortals were covered in a separate boxed set, Wrath of the Immortals. In my view, regardless of whether it covers Immortals or not, the Rules Cyclopedia is one of the best (A)D&D books ever produced.

There is a brief section on Immortals in the Rules Cyclopedia, but I've only seen a broken pdf copy of it and don't know how many pages there are in it on Immortals.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  07:43:04  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is a brief section on Immortals in the Rules Cyclopedia, but I've only seen a broken pdf copy of it and don't know how many pages there are in it on Immortals.

Is there? My bad - it's been years since I had a look at the Rules Cyclopedia - when it comes to Immortals, I have always used the Wrath of the Immortals set. I should think that the RC's brief description does not contain detailed mechanics for making the transiation from mortal to immortal... It certainly does not have Immortals-specific material to play a full "epic/Immortals" level campaign. The Wrath set does, and it also contains a detailed writeup of many existing Immortals (OD&D's equivalent of the writeup in the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover; the writeups are not as detailed as the ones in the Gods trilogy).

Edited by - Thauramarth on 01 Mar 2009 07:44:46
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  23:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Acaeum's web site (I think it's there) has *M*U*C*H* more information about Immortals than any (affordable) book might contain. I heartily encourage anyone interested in playing OD&D-type "Immortals" to seek on the Internet instead of relying on a published book. Even Mongoose Publishing's The Book of Immortals falls far short of what I think that most of us would want -- as DMs -- if we were going to lay some "Immortals" before our d20 PCs.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000