Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Deneir's Iron Dragon Mountain temple
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  01:23:57  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, all!

What, pray tell, is the exact name of the Deneirath temple in/on/under Iron Dragon Mountain where, according to Faiths and Pantheons, Librarian Supreme Haliduth Orspiir is attempting to assemble the Metatext? What other lore is there about it? A player in my game wants to be a monk from there, and I would like to give him as much background lore as I can, so if you have lore about this temple and its inhabitants (and its neighborhood), I would appreciate it if you would share it with us before this Saturday, please.

Mercy buckets.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  02:08:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's called the Master's Library. What little info exists on the temple is presented in the entry for "Deneir" in Faiths & Avatars.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  02:48:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I shall switch books now.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  20:49:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I had found more when I did the Impiltur Map*, but it appears not - George's Dragon Article, the FRCS, and the rather-pathetic Impiltur entry in the UE source all don't mention it.

However, I believe GK's unpublished article about a Hordelands dragon had related info, and that can be veiwed in his thread in the 'Sages' section.

I did, however, find the name of two passes I hadn't noted before in The Vast entry in the FRCS, so an 'update' of that map is in order. I really need to PM GK for other additions and changes (we seem to 'just miss' each other a lot).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Feb 2009 20:51:10
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  11:26:21  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa -- "George's Dragon Article"? Please give more detail!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  13:25:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming Markus is referring to Krash's "Impiltur" article in DRAGON #346.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  22:45:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats the one.

The unpublished (Dragon) article concerning the Dragon & Library can veiwed HERE - you'll need to scroll about halfway down, under Krash's Ouranalathra, "the Mistmaiden" post.

It pretty-much tells you how that library got started.

There is also some non-canon lore that is worth reading in the Northern Journey Campaign Journals you can download the one on Impiltur here.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Feb 2009 22:50:39
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  02:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, much, both of you. The extra irony is that I don't have a copy of Dragon 346, so (as I post this) I don't even understand the context of its absence from that issue. All will doubtless become clear, however.... I mean, I figured out THAC0, so how challenging can it be to learn some Deneirrath and Impilturan lore, eh?

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 24 Feb 2009 05:14:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  04:43:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Thanks, much, both of you. The extra irony is that I don't have a copy of Dragon 346, so (as I post this) I don't even understand the context of its absence from that issue. All will doubtless become clear, however.... I mean, I figured out THAC0, so how challenging can it be to learn some Deneirath and Impilturan lore, eh?
Any chance you can purchase the PDF from paizo.com? I think nobleknight.com has a few second-hand copies of this particular issue available for purchase too.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  06:12:41  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paizo has even a print copy for 4 $ (it is still Dragon back issue sale over there).

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  06:38:43  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Thats who I got my copy from last august/september. Good article if I do say so myself!

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 23 Feb 2009 06:39:02
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2009 :  05:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've now read George's article on his scroll, and also managed to get some of the pdf's of Northern Journeys to open on my computer (finally!), so I'm learning a lot more about the area and the importance of the Master's Library than I ever knew before. Now if only the guy who had intended to play the monk hadn't had his work schedule changed so that he's not available on our game day ... *sigh* ... there are some dealers on eBay who often have inexpensive copies of Dragon for sale, so I can score issue 346 if the need should arise.

I would like to thank you all for your input so far. "Master of Realmslore" or not, I am still amazed at the vast wealth of information which I haven't even seen yet. I played a Priest Librarian of Deneir for years in complete ignorance of the Master's Library. I feel even less need to waste money on Realms.New.Coke when there is still so very much real Realmslore out there for me to learn.

Apropos of "Northern Journeys," however, what program do I need to open ".FCW" files?

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 24 Feb 2009 05:18:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2009 :  07:49:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Apropos of "Northern Journeys," however, what program do I need to open ".FCW" files?

Campaign Cartographer 2. Assumably, CC1, as well, but filext.com specifically said CC2.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2009 :  17:10:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can still only open the Impiltur one - the others won't open for me, for whatever reason.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  06:16:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a one paragraph (!) condensation of Krash's article on page 144 of Dragons of Faerun. He is credited with "Additional Design or Development."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000