Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Are there Longhouses in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  23:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are Norse type longhouses used anywhere in the Realms?

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 01 Mar 2009 23:48:10

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  23:55:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. They're referenced among the details for the Black Lion tribe in The North boxed set.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  01:29:51  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may also want to check any sources that discuss Ruathym and Rashemen, such as the 2e Spellbound for the later.
My memory is fuzzy, but I recall from Elaine Cunningham's trilogy with Liriel Baenre, that character visits both of those places and there are "lodge" type buildings in both lands. This isn't too surprising, as in the past the Rus who were originally from the Northern Coast emigrated to Rashemen via magical gates and mixed their culture with those living there.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  03:37:51  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

You may also want to check any sources that discuss Ruathym and Rashemen, such as the 2e Spellbound for the later.
My memory is fuzzy, but I recall from Elaine Cunningham's trilogy with Liriel Baenre, that character visits both of those places and there are "lodge" type buildings in both lands.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I found references to "longhouses" in the city of Immilmar on pages 81 of the 82 of the "Campaign Guide". Also on pages 16, 17, 19, 20 and 22 of the "Throne of Deceit Adventure Book.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  21:34:40  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whew! I am in the process of running the Anthony Pryor-written adventure Throne of Deceit and would be really, really, really embarrassed if there wasn't a longhouse at (f'rinstance) Green Hag Hill or if Tharfenhall wasn't "a hall!"

By the way, those unfamiliar with the concept of the Norse-style "hall" could do worse than see the recent cartoo ... er ... "animated feature film version" of Beowulf, or -- better yet -- the "Making of ..." segments of the extended DVD. (DVD? Wasn't that the game that nerdy kids like The Hooded One used to play in high school? Oh ... no ... wait! ... It was that thing from Cliffs Notes: Beowulf ... no ... wait ... that was the "longhouse....")

And, by the way, those of you whose homes tend to lean less towards beat-up old high school textbooks and more towards the 80,000+ book private libraries may want to peek at pages 28 through 38 of the Dorling Kindersley ("DK") Eyewitness Books: Viking volume, written by Susan M. Margeson, a quick perusal of which will spare a DM ("Dungeonmaster") from having to ask a lot of Ruathym- and Rashemen-related questions. It can also provoke some truly bizarre ones, too, as:

THO -- Ed -- are there any "ordinary" domestic farm animals in the Realms (and where?! please?!) like "the Manx Loghtan ram" illustrated on page 37 of Eyewitness Books: Viking, which, for the benefit of those whose libraries run towards the 8,000 or less books variety, looks like -- I'm not making this up, you know -- like what a sheep and two unicorns might look like if Golskyn and Mrelder got hold of a copy of Encyclopaedia Arcana: Crossbreeding. (I swear to Erda ... I'm not making this up, you know!)

(D'OH! That really is a question for Ed and the Hooded One. I have already cross-posted it to the 2009 scroll, cross-referencing this scroll to avoid non-Ed discussions on Ed's ... eh ... you'll figure it out....)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 02 Mar 2009 21:50:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000