Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A matter of opinion...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  17:35:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My reasons for not reading it yet are pretty much the same as Rino's. However, I didn't buy the book and I've mentioned to Steven in private, which I hope he received, why I haven't read it yet even though I've had it since August.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  22:50:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well, guys, remember that I *did* say I would read this book eventually (at this point, I do own it), it's just that I'm not whole-heartedly enthusiastic about it. That's a bit different from deciding to abstain from the novel completely.

Well you did vote "yes" by buying it, so you might as well read and enjoy it!! I would love to read your opinions about it.

A good point. But it probably is difficult for some of our scribes to reach that point where they want to read the book. To some, the damage to the Realms may simply be too much to bear.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  01:56:20  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very much in that boat. I might read it, one day, if I'll be able to see the phrase '1479 DR' without wanting to throw the book away.

Which makes me somewhat sad.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  04:23:23  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I'm very much in that boat. I might read it, one day, if I'll be able to see the phrase '1479 DR' without wanting to throw the book away.

It will happen one day, Uzzy...

Why just a little while ago, I thought I'd never be able to look at BattleTech and the words 'Dark Age' with turning blue. And look at me now! A healthy shade of teal!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  04:44:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Why just a little while ago, I thought I'd never be able to look at BattleTech and the words 'Dark Age' with turning blue. And look at me now! A healthy shade of teal!
So long as you not a Davvie, or a FedRat, there's hope for you yet!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  05:45:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

So long as you not a Davvie, or a FedRat, there's hope for you yet!

Silly Sage... When are you going to wise up to the fact that the nation that ate half of the Capellan Confederation is better in every way? You're so deluded I'm beginning to think your last name is Liao!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  13:35:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, guys, remember that I *did* say I would read this book eventually (at this point, I do own it), it's just that I'm not whole-heartedly enthusiastic about it. That's a bit different from deciding to abstain from the novel completely.

Well you did vote "yes" by buying it, so you might as well read and enjoy it!! I would love to read your opinions about it.

A good point. But it probably is difficult for some of our scribes to reach that point where they want to read the book. To some, the damage to the Realms may simply be too much to bear.

I understand , just this weekend(for the 3rd consecutive visit) at my local reseller, I once again picked up, leafed through and then put back Plague of Spells. It feels weird not buying a "new" FR novel for $2....but I just can't do it.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  16:59:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red WalkerWell you did vote "yes" by buying it, so you might as well read and enjoy it!! I would love to read your opinions about it.

The post before last (wherein I described my reasoning) was longer at first, but I editted becase it sounded ...trite. Now I wish I had posted it.

Basically I have the complete opposite opinion - I will GLADLY read this book, when I can borrow a copy from either a friend or the library. After eading it - WITHOUT giving WotC a dime - I will also gladly send Steven the FULL cover price.

Its not the novel I'm avoiding - I'm dying to read it - its contributing to Hasbro's cofers I find so distasteful.

By buying ANYTHING 4e, you are sending a message to them that you find their changes acceptable... AND I DON'T.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Feb 2009 17:03:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  22:49:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Basically I have the complete opposite opinion - I will GLADLY read this book, when I can borrow a copy from either a friend or the library. After eading it - WITHOUT giving WotC a dime - I will also gladly send Steven the FULL cover price.

Its not the novel I'm avoiding - I'm dying to read it - its contributing to Hasbro's cofers I find so distasteful.

By buying ANYTHING 4e, you are sending a message to them that you find their changes acceptable... AND I DON'T.

Here's an idea... Encourage your significant other to purchase it for you!

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  23:06:36  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then WotC gets your SO's money, and they don't know a fan from their significant other, so money in just shows the company you are buying into their 4e market plan. I'd encourage getting a second-hand copy.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  00:26:16  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

Then WotC gets your SO's money, and they don't know a fan from their significant other, so money in just shows the company you are buying into their 4e market plan. I'd encourage getting a second-hand copy.

get the book at uzzy discards

quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  00:30:40  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is my pennies (UK)

I not buying any source books again. i have a library of that takes far to much space on my shelves and a digital collection 20 gb of purchased pdf files. i dont need another edition to blot my collection. there is plenty of lore on my shelves and so many books for me to run 100 years of campaigns while i wait for the spell plague to ravage the world outside of my demi plane of win.

if i buy any books it will be novels because i enjoy reading them.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  01:10:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Actually I did not buy the book. It was a gift.

I will of course share my opinions after I read it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Feb 2009 01:16:20
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  15:36:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LK's copy by any chance?

We should pass it around.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  15:41:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

LK's copy by any chance?

He bought it for me, so it's mine.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  15:42:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I will of course share my opinions after I read it.

Well since it's a gift you have an obligation to read it

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  16:23:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So he has PURCHASED two copies of the book?!

The Scoundrel!

Just kidding...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  22:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So he has PURCHASED two copies of the book?!

The Scoundrel!

Just kidding...

I know. Anyway, I don't think he actually bought one for himself.

And yes, RW, I will definitely read the novel. I have a few others I want to get through first though.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  23:18:18  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I started Blackstaff Tower Last night. I really enjoyed Ed Greenwoods introduction.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  04:50:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I purchased it a few hours ago.

I went to Borders in hopes of finding a few older novels I missed, and couldn't find any (aside from a few trilogies I'm avoiding like the plague). Considered the Krull rip-off Obsidian Ridge, and even had one of those marketing-gimmicky "Ed Greenwood Presents" - I think Mistshore - in my hands, but decided even Ed's name didn't warrant a 4e purchase....

And then I found a last copy of Blackstaff Tower tucked away on a bottom shelf... almost as if it were waiting for me...

I broke down and bought it.

I will be starting it in a few minutes... but I'll hate myself in the morning (no matter how good it is).

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Feb 2009 04:50:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  06:28:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I will be starting it in a few minutes... but I'll hate myself in the morning (no matter how good it is).

But will we still respect you in the morning?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  06:36:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I purchased it a few hours ago.

I went to Borders in hopes of finding a few older novels I missed, and couldn't find any (aside from a few trilogies I'm avoiding like the plague). Considered the Krull rip-off Obsidian Ridge, and even had one of those marketing-gimmicky "Ed Greenwood Presents" - I think Mistshore - in my hands, but decided even Ed's name didn't warrant a 4e purchase....

And then I found a last copy of Blackstaff Tower tucked away on a bottom shelf... almost as if it were waiting for me...

- ! Come to the Darkside Markus we have COOKIES!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  07:02:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, good news.
quote:

Now, I'll want to hear what you thought of the book once you're done with it.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  11:15:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I am about 3 quarters done. Osco has stolen the show with me. I have a soft spot for Hin Rogues.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 19 Feb 2009 11:15:54
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  17:48:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps I should start a thread with my musings in the novel forum, but suffice it to say I got to page 7, and was enjoying it...

...and then I ran into the word 'cerulean', which hit me in the face like a 4th-edition freight train.

I put it down at that point, and went to sleep, and have only just begun reading it again at this moment.

I feel there will be more of those 'reality check' moments for me throughout... <sigh>

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Come to the Darkside Markus we have COOKIES!

That was funny for awhile, when I was still doing a lot of 'fence sitting', but thats over with for the most part. I realize the fence only existed in my mind, and Realmslore is realmslore, despite how I feel about the changes.

You shouldn't refer to to 4e as "the Dark Side" - there are two sides, but both have their ups and downs. I understand the existance of 4e, and the reasoning behind it, even if it doesn't personally suit my own tastes - to each his own and all of that.

If anything, I think 3e should be "the Dark Side" ; no longer excepted by the masses...

But OH!... such POWER to be had!

Besides, with my Asthma and my size, I breath a lot like Vader.

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-I am about 3 quarters done. Osco has stolen the show with me. I have a soft spot for Hin Rogues.
They always do.

I still get 'misty' when I think about Jak.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Feb 2009 04:22:14
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  18:31:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...and then I ran into the word 'cerullean', which hit me in the face like a 4th-edition freight train.

Relax. WotC did not invent the word "cerulean" (I distinctly recall it being used in an interesting scene in the movie The Devil Wears Prada).

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  18:35:50  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

...and then I ran into the word 'cerullean', which hit me in the face like a 4th-edition freight train.

Relax. WotC did not invent the word "cerulean" (I distinctly recall it being used in an interesting scene in the movie The Devil Wears Prada).

Prada.......wasn't she a red Wizard aspiring to be a Zulkir?
When did I miss this realms movie?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  19:25:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I first read about it in the Realms way back in the original Pools of novels because Shal-Bal's horse glows that color. :) Yes, I remember a scene from a novel I read 15ish years ago.

quote:

quote:

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  19:54:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right... I realize its just another word for 'blue', but the 4e design guys have embraced the word to the point of beating it to death.

They did to 'Cerulean' what they did to the word 'Shadow' - they over-used it until it brought bile into my mouth.

I'm sure I've come across the word before in FR novels - its just that now it jumps out at me an hits me in the face like a brick.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Feb 2009 04:20:45
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  20:31:28  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Prada.......wasn't she a red Wizard aspiring to be a Zulkir?
When did I miss this realms movie?

So... when one says "the devil wears Prada," one is talking about a summoning that went horribly wrong?

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000