Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A matter of opinion...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  15:39:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm with you there MT.

Ironically, Eberron's novels have been specifically said to be 'non-canon' by Keith Baker himself so they won't write themselves in a corner that we found ourselves in with the Realms (not that I think so, but those that do...).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  15:52:18  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And although some of the sarcasm may be a bit much, it does relate to the topic - FR was changed to please all those people who thought there was 'too much' lore to learn, and yet I can say that Eberron is far worse, simply because EVERY continent has already been detailed.

I'd have to agree with you there. I really liked that there were a few "unknown" continents in FR because it leaves so much up to the imagination. But I also liked the amount of detail in the places that were detailed. I though FR was the perfect mix of detail and blank spaces to allow a DM to either run something presented or make up something entirely their own.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  15:56:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Ironically, Eberron's novels have been specifically said to be 'non-canon' by Keith Baker himself so they won't write themselves in a corner that we found ourselves in with the Realms (not that I think so, but those that do...).

Had th Realms taken that approach - only making certain events canon, once they appeared in a sourcebook somewhere, would have been the smart way to go. At least there would have been some sort of control mechanism on the whole thing, and they would have had a good way of weeding out all of those continuity problems (almost like the '5 second delay' we have during live-broadcasts).

The novels could have just been the version told by a Realms story-teller, and then we could have gotten the 'real low-down' in a sourcebook, which would have left the writer's their 'creative license', while also allowing canon to back-fill all the glitches.

For instance, the story we have now about the Tree of Life makes sense, but it didn't when we first read it. It would have made sense if that entire series was non-canon... until the GHotR (or any other source for that matter) explaned the details, including the part about the Tree being moved from Lamruil's Kingdom.

NOTHING should be canon until it appears in a sourcebook - this 'instant canon' by people who barely know the Realms was a terrible idea, and THAT is what destroyed our setting.

I find it amusing that Keith Baker and James Wyatt both recognize the fundamental flaw in FR, and have made provisions to avoid it in Eberron, and yet the FR guys can't seem to grasp what they did at all.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Feb 2009 22:56:49
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  18:49:48  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Had th Realms taken that approach - only making certain events canon, once they appeared in a sourcebook somewhere, would have been the smart way to go. At least there would have been some sort of control mechanism on the whole thing, and they would have had a good way of weeding out all of those continuity problems (almost like the '5 second delay' we have during live-broadcasts).

The novels could have just been the version told by a Realms story-teller, and then we could have gotten the 'real low-down' in a sourcebook, which would have left the writer's their 'creative license', while also allowing canon to back-fill all the glitches.

For instance, the story we havenow about the Tree of Life makes sense, but it didn't when we first read it. It would have made sense if that entire series was non-canon... until the GHotR (or any other source for that matter) explaned the details, including the part about the Tree being moved from lamruil's Kingdom.

NOTHING should be canon until it appears in a sourcebook - this 'instant canon' by people who barely know the Realms was a terrible idea, and THAT is what destroyed our setting.

I find it amusing that Keith Baker and James Wyatt both recognize the fundamental flaw in FR, and have made provisions to avoid it in Eberron, and yet the FR guys can't seem to grasp what they did at all.

I was going to run the ZMBAYE campaign in the Forgotten realms on one of the continents (the antarctica shaped one). The only reason I did not is the books all went out of print, and I had trouble getting them.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  23:09:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

For instance, the story we have now about the Tree of Life makes sense, but it didn't when we first read it. It would have made sense if that entire series was non-canon... until the GHotR (or any other source for that matter) explaned the details, including the part about the Tree being moved from Lamruil's Kingdom.

I actually don't like that approach... WotC has always been slow to get us sourcebook; if we had to wait for one to come out for something to become canon, we could be waiting for years. And I personally prefer the approach of the setting being driven forward by the fiction.

The problem, once more, comes down to RSEs. They've filled hundreds of novels with non-RSEs, and those are never a complaint for people. The source of the complaints stems from the endless flow of RSEs. If you're not blowing something up every other trilogy, you don't piss people off by shifting things in an unexpected direction, and you don't piss other people off by making sweeping changes where none or only minor changes are needed.

Another change they need to make is to go back to having a traffic cop. People not talking to each other -- or even bothering to read a single relevant novel or sourcebook -- are what creates continuity problems. The Realms continuity stayed pretty straight until they decided to ignore it with 3E.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  02:36:52  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

[quote]Originally posted by Markustay
And, I've noticed that some fans of the new setting seem to like the idea of getting more detailed lore from DDI (supposedly, there will be one FR article each month starting in May or so). That rather contradicts the cry for a "clean slate."
Not really.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  18:32:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Poignant.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I actually don't like that approach... <snip>
Well, since certain authors feel that they can only sell novels if they blow crap up (which is sad), we will probably never see an end to those types of novels - not even in 4e. You're right about 'smaller stories' not rocking the boat the way the RSE's did, and I do tend to lump ALL of the novels together when I share my distaste for them.

Which means they will continue to compound their errors, instead of listening to the fans and just giving us what we want.

I think Mark Sehestedt may be becoming my new favorite FR author - the man writes a great yarn without disturbing the setting itself.

And his 'region of preference' is just icing on the cake, for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I was going to run the ZMBAYE campaign in the Forgotten realms on one of the continents (the antarctica shaped one). The only reason I did not is the books all went out of print, and I had trouble getting them.
ZMBAYE? Is that a typo? I've never heard of it.

I thought you may have meant Nyambe - which is EXCELLENT, and hopefully one day I will finish my conversion map of Katashaka for that setting (applying all of that setting's geography and regional info onto the Katashaka map... which was never more then just an outline anyway).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Feb 2009 04:42:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  19:29:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I actually don't like that approach... <snip>
Well, since certain authors feel that they can only sell novels if they blow crap up (which is sad), we will probably never see an end to those types of novels - not even in 4e. You're right about 'smaller stories' not rocking the boat the way the RSE's did, and I do tend to lump ALL of the novels together when I share my distaste for them.

Keep in mind, though, that authors are not pushing their plots onto Wizards. The authors don't say "I'm going to write a novel that blows up the setting, you wanna buy it?" The higher-ups at WotC are where these ideas come from. They call an author and say "Hey, we'll pay you money to write a book with this plot, which incidently blows up everything!"

So even with authors I don't like, I can't blame them for the RSEs. I can blame them for breaking bits of lore and continuity, but not for breaking the entire setting. And even the breaking bits of lore and continuity isn't a solo thing; WotC is partially to blame, by not having a traffic cop anymore and by not mandating that people research everything they're writing about.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Feb 2009 19:30:17
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  21:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm alot less forgiving than you, Wooly.

I can blame everyone involved.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  22:16:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

I'm alot less forgiving than you, Wooly.

I can blame everyone involved.

I'm not forgiving anyone. I'm simply not assigning blame without being certain of where to assign it. I'm a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due. The flipside is that I don't give credit to those that I don't know deserve it.

I have my own thoughts and opinions on how the Realms wound up where they are now (officially, that is), and there is more than one individual I am inclined to blame. But I do not have any firm info about who can and cannot be blamed, so I don't single anyone out.

I also try to be as realistic as possible about it. I refuse to believe, absent any hard evidence, that there was a deliberate attempt to damage the setting or to remove the work of prior individuals. And what little I know of the publishing process leaves me thinking that we can't blame novel authors for RSEs -- so I don't blame them. In a shared world, I'll readily comment on the quality of someone's writing, but not the plot.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Feb 2009 22:17:54
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  04:52:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All very true.

In fact, with some of the recent novels, you can almost 'feel' when a piece of lore was mandated by the 'higher ups'. Whilst most of a novel will flow smoothly, every once in awhile you'll see something that doesn't look like a lot of thought was put into, or that just feels 'forced'.

And you'll say to yourself, how is it that the rest of the novel was pretty darn good, except for that weird scene that had little to do with the rest of the story?

You know what I'm talking about. Sorta like the prologue and epilogue of the Orc King, which not only wasn't relevant to the story, but that particular lore doesn't even seem to have even been applied at all in 4e.

Almost as if they changed their minds... again.

I'm particualry fond of the one statement by a designer/author - I won't mention any names - when he said that the new rules were better for writing stories, because now the authors won't have to keep track of how many times a character has used a certain ability.

Great... change the rules, because you don't want to be bothered counting fireballs.

Anyhow, I'm getting off-track. I just wanted to agree with you there that Authors don't kill Wookies, owners of IPs do (or brand-managers in their employ).

I'm going to have to look into those Riftworld novels you were talking about in another thread - I need a break from FR novels for a while... a LONG while.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Feb 2009 04:54:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  06:49:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm going to have to look into those Riftworld novels you were talking about in another thread - I need a break from FR novels for a while... a LONG while.

Riftwar. They're by Raymond E Feist, and there's a bunch of them. And it's not a shared world, but he does have his own continuity, and some of the later books happen at least a century after the first ones. But his timejumps are just a generation, and don't involve blowing stuff up. Plus, a lot of his later characters are related to the earlier ones -- often their children.

Go to Top of Page

sneakypetev
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  06:51:08  Show Profile  Visit sneakypetev's Homepage Send sneakypetev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All very true.

In fact, with some of the recent novels, you can almost 'feel' when a piece of lore was mandated by the 'higher ups'. Whilst most of a novel will flow smoothly, every once in awhile you'll see something that doesn't look like a lot of thought was put into, or that just feels 'forced'.

And you'll say to yourself, how is it that the rest of the novel was pretty darn good, except for that weird scene that had little to do with the rest of the story?

You know what I'm talking about. Sorta like the prologue and epilogue of the Orc King, which not only wasn't relevant to the story, but that particular lore doesn't even seem to have even been applied at all in 4e.

Almost as if they changed their minds... again.

I'm particualry fond of the one statement by a designer/author - I won't mention any names - when he said that the new rules were better for writing stories, because now the authors won't have to keep track of how many times a character has used a certain ability.

Great... change the rules, because you don't want to be bothered counting fireballs.

Anyhow, I'm getting off-track. I just wanted to agree with you there that Authors don't kill Wookies, owners of IPs do (or brand-managers in their employ).

I agree w/ you on the Orc King. But I think I will give the 4E novels a try. I am halfway through Blackstaff, not a bad story, but It's still hard for me to get my head around the whole 100 year gap thing.

"Go for the eyes boo,go for the eyes!"- Minsc
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  16:30:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean Blackstaff Tower? I actually do intend to read that book, although I won't deny that part of me is reluctant.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  18:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the novels I read, I read for a feel of the Realms, as well as a moderately good story. Though mainly it was the feel that was important as they helped somewhat with my DMing. The novels that were best for that were the smaller scale ones, particularly Elaine's, not the RSE novels. So again, that's another vote for RSE's being the underlying problem.

Markus, I'd check out the Song of Ice and Fire series, by George R R Martin, if you haven't already. Best fantasy novels out there bar none.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  20:07:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep hearing about that one... I really should give it a go.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  20:33:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks

Don't wait......you will be kicking yourself once you start for not trying them sooner.

Even better, HBO bout the rights and it has a good chance of being a series. 1 year per novel for a 7 year run....could be magnificent since HBO rarely filters.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  22:37:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You mean Blackstaff Tower? I actually do intend to read that book, although I won't deny that part of me is reluctant.

Any particular reason Rinonalyrna?

I'm only asking because I actually consider Blackstaff Tower to be among my favorite Realms novels. As well, the character of Renaer quickly became someone I'd like to read/know more about. Additionally, all the extensive Blackstaff background info is a must for any Khelben fan. And, finally, Steven always manages to capture the essence and cosmopolitan feel of the City of Splendors -- that really brings Waterdeep to life.

So I'm just interested to hear why some scribes aren't as inclined to read this particular book.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Feb 2009 22:39:42
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  22:47:25  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I plan on reading it tonight. Starting it at least after I finish the Lastest Knights of Myth Drannor novel.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  22:56:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Sage - probably for the same reasons I have misgivings. We both ADORE Steven, and everything he writes... but...

Its hard to send a message to a comapany when you buy into their current product-line.

Blackstaff was one of my favorite FR stories... and it pains me to be this way...

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Thanks

Don't wait......you will be kicking yourself once you start for not trying them sooner.

Even better, HBO bout the rights and it has a good chance of being a series. 1 year per novel for a 7 year run....could be magnificent since HBO rarely filters.

As long as SciFi Channel doesn't get anywhere near it.

Original series aren't too bad (some, like Battlestar, are terrific), but they tend to butcher re-makes (like Tinman - what a gag-fest!)

They did a movie about Dragons called Fire & Ice - I had thought that was the movie adaption (and it was pretty ousy). I guess SciFI just stole the name, then?

I used to keep-up with all the series, but after the never-ending stories that were Wheel of Time and Sword of truth, I was turned-off to series for awhile.

I like them... but I also like them to END.

Sorry for the side-chatter, mod-peoples - but I'm gettin' some good advice here.

Riftworld and Fire & Ice it is, then!

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Feb 2009 22:56:39
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  23:19:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Sage - probably for the same reasons I have misgivings. We both ADORE Steven, and everything he writes... but...

Its hard to send a message to a comapany when you buy into their current product-line.
Indeed. And I can understand that. But, at least for me, I can't quite equate the notion of sending a message to Wizards and sacrificing quality Realms fiction at the same time. I guess I'm just too discriminatory in this sense. I'm willing to give some of the Realms authors I know and love a chance to entertain me with Realms fiction, regardless of whether it's pre- or post-Spellplague. And this is because I'm buying and reading about the story first, and the edition or Realms era second, in most cases.

There are exceptions, of course, but I really don't feel like getting into that now. I'll just note that I do have the same concerns as most scribes when it comes to topics like this. But, at the same time, I've been devoted to the Realms for far too long to simply abandon what I believe to still be worthwhile Realmslore/Realmsfiction. I guess it's almost like an addiction. I'll always need my Schend, de Bie, Greenwood books -- regardless of which edition they're written for.

Ah, well. We all have our perspectives on this. Whatever works for you is always best.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  23:49:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trust me...it hurts like hell.

Blackstaf Tower is just one of several FR novels I want to get my grubby little hands on in the worst way.

The only person I respect more then Steven Schend is Ed himself, and even then, just barely. He is the last person in the world I would want to hurt in any way - the Lands of Intrigue are practically my bible.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Feb 2009 23:49:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  23:51:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Riftworld and Fire & Ice it is, then!

Um... Again, it's Riftwar. And the Riftwar Saga is only the first four books.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2009 :  00:03:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, okay... got it.

Go to Top of Page

sneakypetev
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  22:21:59  Show Profile  Visit sneakypetev's Homepage Send sneakypetev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yep. I meant Blackstaff Tower.Sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  01:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm only asking because I actually consider Blackstaff Tower to be among my favorite Realms novels. As well, the character of Renaer quickly became someone I'd like to read/know more about. Additionally, all the extensive Blackstaff background info is a must for any Khelben fan. And, finally, Steven always manages to capture the essence and cosmopolitan feel of the City of Splendors -- that really brings Waterdeep to life.

So I'm just interested to hear why some scribes aren't as inclined to read this particular book.

It's a fair question. My answer is: anything that has to do with the 4E Realms has a little bit of "enthusiasm killer" in it for me. From the start of the book to the end, I will have to mentally accept a millieu that I find very distasteful, even though I have the feeling it will be worth it for all the reasons you mentioned.

Hope that answers your question.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  02:36:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's a fair question. My answer is: anything that has to do with the 4E Realms has a little bit of "enthusiasm killer" in it for me. From the start of the book to the end, I will have to mentally accept a millieu that I find very distasteful, even though I have the feeling it will be worth it for all the reasons you mentioned.

It does, and I appreciate the explanation. It's certainly an understandable position. I guess I'm just wired a little differently. I'm willing to look past some of the things I don't particularly like when it comes to the 4e Realms. Especially if it means having the opportunity to read a worthwhile tale crafted by a master of Realmslore.

But, as I said, I can understand where you're coming from.

Go to Top of Page

sneakypetev
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  02:49:56  Show Profile  Visit sneakypetev's Homepage Send sneakypetev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I finished Blackstaff Tower and I did experience the "enthusiasm killer" feeling a few times but as a whole it was a good read IMO.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  14:10:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, guys, remember that I *did* say I would read this book eventually (at this point, I do own it), it's just that I'm not whole-heartedly enthusiastic about it. That's a bit different from deciding to abstain from the novel completely.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 09 Feb 2009 14:17:01
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  15:40:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, guys, remember that I *did* say I would read this book eventually (at this point, I do own it), it's just that I'm not whole-heartedly enthusiastic about it. That's a bit different from deciding to abstain from the novel completely.

Well you did vote "yes" by buying it, so you might as well read and enjoy it!! I would love to read your opinions about it.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000