Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Collected Legends, stories and songs of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  00:50:12  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In my DM'ing and even as a player, I've oft times wondered what the most famous tales and songs of the Bards of the Realms are.

Is there a notebook/compendium of collected legends, stories, and songs that are most circulated in Faerun? Maybe even some obscure/little known ones? Or even some self made/unique ones? Things that have been forgotten/lost that I could have a basis to go on?

I'd appriciate any direction or input on this topic.

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  00:55:28  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Archmagus Brandon

In my DM'ing and even as a player, I've oft times wondered what the most famous tales and songs of the Bards of the Realms are.

Is there a notebook/compendium of collected legends, stories, and songs that are most circulated in Faerun? Maybe even some obscure/little known ones? Or even some self made/unique ones? Things that have been forgotten/lost that I could have a basis to go on?

I'd appriciate any direction or input on this topic.

There may be some net books, but I do not think there is anything consolidated anywhere. The song and swords series by Elaine Cunningham focuses on Harpers and Bards. I remember several items from there to include riddles. The Code of the Harpers 2E source may have some information as well

Edit: yep - check code of the Harpers. I did a quick glance and found some Harper Ballads starting on p122.

Edited by - scererar on 22 Mar 2009 00:58:25
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  00:58:26  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You just made me remember that I had meant to order that series, since I've never read it lol.
Thanks for the input

Have you ever wanted to see something similar for the game, though? As a DM or as a player? Or have you never had any problems when it has come to being creative?
I usually don't, but have more blocks more often than I've used to.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  01:06:51  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You just made me remember that I had meant to order that series, since I've never read it lol.
Thanks for the input

Have you ever wanted to see something similar for the game, though? As a DM or as a player? Or have you never had any problems when it has come to being creative?
I usually don't, but have more blocks more often than I've used to.

They are excellent reads.

I am looking at the Bard as we speak. I just received the 4e PH2 and was looking to build a character.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  01:07:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, one of my favorite Realmsian subjects...

A wide selection of FR sourcebooks [mostly 2e -- for example Code of the Harpers and Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue] provide some details on musical instruments, songs and oral traditions in the Realms. A number of specific song titles, which hint at specific examples of musical styles -- such as ballads -- in the Realms, like "The Cormyte's Boast" from Volo's Guide to Cormyr, have been collated in Krash's listing [found here at Candlekeep]. Note however, that it is not "all-inclusive." During my own research of music in the Realms [for my proposed Compendium articles], I've discovered several titled songs that have not been mentioned on the listing.

As well, Ed has talked about songs and music [as well as some specific musical pieces] in his replies at Candlekeep -- specifically his '04, '05 and '06 replies.

Both music and musical items in the Realms are discussed in the 2e and 3e FRCS.

Ed gave us the "Music in the Realms" article in DRAGON #124.

The more recent Waterdeeep sourcebook has lore about New Olamn [as does Elaine's New Olamn article in DRAGON #335]. Elaine's novels -- Elfshadow and Elfsong -- are good resources regarding music and bards of the Realms generally.

Don't forget about the "evil" composer mentioned in Richard Lee Byers contribution to the Halls of Stormweather anthology -- 'Song of Chaos'. While it was his crafted music that originally led to all the reality-altering perceptions of the guests at the concert, the story also tells us a little about composing and music in general in the Realms.

As well, The Yellow Silk, provides some tidbits on the musical scene and some popular songs in both Spandeliyon and Shou Lung.

And finally, I'm presently in the process of compiling ALL the musical references noted throughout every officially published piece of Realmslore. I'm nowhere near done yet, but once it's completed, I'll make the PDF available at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  01:11:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, look at the chapter epigrams of much of Ed Greenwood's fiction, and Milil's write-up in Faiths & Avatars.

Of all races, singing may be most important to the halflings -- see GAZ8 The Five Shires and note that they often describe lengths of time in terms of songs. Stories are literally vital to everyone.

Having said that, I've written some music for a few Realms songs [and for a few of Danilo's songs] based on notes I got from both Ed and Elaine. They feature regularly as part of the background music in my campaigns.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  01:15:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or even some self made/unique ones?
Well, I figure improvisation is an important element in the bardic repertoire.

I've speculated in the past that "impromptu improvisations" of traditional Realms musical pieces and/or songs are often practised by bards and wandering minstrels across Faerūn.

In fact, like Beethoven or Handel... I do believe that many bards across the Realms likely improvise a great deal during their public performances. With no core communications network in place across the Realms, it can be extremely difficult for bards to keep up on changes to new and/or original music. Thus, they are ultimately forced to rely on their own musical talents and inspiration when performing -- leading to improvisations. These improvisations may even lead to new styles or pieces of music practised using instruments or musical generation methods not specifically considered to be appropriate for the style. Spontaneity would be crucial here I think... a style that grabs the bard's attention so much that he or she immediately transforms his/her practice to conform to the style playing in his/her mind.

As a musician myself, I can appreciate this fact... especially when playing in front of a live audience. Patrons aren't always interested in the same and usual musical styles... I've noticed this a lot. They usually come to hear something, maybe just a little different to what they were expecting... or a style they've not encountered before. It's these musical surprises that make public musical performances, as a bard would perform in some low-light tavern in any locale throughout the Realms, a real hoot for the bard/musician and the audience as a whole. They share something special... a feeling like, this music was meant only for them alone and for that moment. You'll never experience it the same way again. It's an important element in musical performances and in bardic roleplaying, as I've come to see.

It would only take the bard a fraction of a second to follow up from a possible deviation in a regular piece of music. To continue with the Beethoven example, during public court performances, he would often have several pieces of parchment in front of him while at the piano with the piece he was to play in notation form. But he'd also have writing implements with him so that he could constantly change and alter scales, tones etc. during his playing because he discovered new ways in which to practice the music "while it is being played". Often, at the end of each performance... the original pieces of music he'd noted on parchment before his performance did not match what he ended up with at the end of the day. So many new additions and/or ideas had been added that most musical scholars today have a difficult time discerning exactly what they mean.

I can see this happening in the Realms, during a bardic performance. Spontaneity and the mastery of music that the individual bard commands are factors which must be taken into account though, before something like this is even attempted. After all, not every crowd is happy to hear improvisations or variations... and I've had crowds literally "boo" me off stage because I chose to deviate, even a little, from standard notation.

Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  01:16:16  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! *He sings in a pure and sustained musical note.*
I'm going to compose a song soley for The Sage. It'll be great!

I don't have that sourcebook . I don't have any of the 2e books, because I didn't start playing until 3e came out. I have done some research on the subject though, and it looks very confusing lol.
I will, however, keep my eyes peeled on the site for any of the aforementioned. Any links that any one could provide to any of the mentioned subjects (within or outside of Candlekeep) would be awesome and would probobly make me dance a jig.
I've found a new desire to make my Realmslore as keen as possible! lol
Thanks in advance, and thanks also for your prompt replies!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  01:21:30  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Sage, most excellent information.

for the OP - if you do not mind PDF's, they are available at various sites, like drivethruRPG.com and such for about $4-$5
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  01:32:17  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I see why you are Loremaster Most High
Speaking stricly from an alignment perspective, it also goes hand in hand with the special requirement of "any non-lawful" alignment restriction.
This place never ceases to amaze me, which no one will ever understand how much a I appriciate. As a real person, I don't grow tired of the "same ol' same ol'" like most would, but I do appriciate artistic inflection in certain music, and would probobly appriciate it much more from a Realmsian Bard's perspective. I especially loved how you described the element of "original" tavern music, like it was made for all, bard and audience, for that single moment in time. Pure magic. Thanks to the bards constant desire to be the best at what they do and to become known and loved.
Reading this, I can see how it would be very difficult to keep a traditional record of legends, stories, and songs because of the fact that they are all changing from minstrel to minstrel.

By the way, if I'd have been in a place where any one was "boo'd" off the stage, I probobly wouldn't have been a very happy camper. Just because one doesn't like, or even appriciate, a certain styling of a particular musician doesn't mean you get to make them feel like crap. You shoulda just kept playing to make the point. I would have
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  01:52:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm going to compose a song soley for The Sage. It'll be great!
Strangely enough, I've thought about writing a piece strictly for Candlekeep [both the Forum and the Realms locale] -- played on an oud or similar instrument. But I'd also need Ed's input on that.
quote:
I don't have that sourcebook . I don't have any of the 2e books, because I didn't start playing until 3e came out. I have done some research on the subject though, and it looks very confusing lol.
I will, however, keep my eyes peeled on the site for any of the aforementioned. Any links that any one could provide to any of the mentioned subjects (within or outside of Candlekeep) would be awesome and would probobly make me dance a jig.
Well, some of the Volo's Guides, which contain tidbits Krash referenced on his listing that I linked to above, are available as free PDF downloads at WotC. You'll also find a number of other freely available 2e FR products as well.

Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  02:05:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This place never ceases to amaze me, which no one will ever understand how much a I appriciate. As a real person, I don't grow tired of the "same ol' same ol'" like most would, but I do appriciate artistic inflection in certain music, and would probobly appriciate it much more from a Realmsian Bard's perspective.
Indeed. I tend towards much the same in my Realms as well. Naturally, bard-types feature regularly in many of my campaigns, and often with their own self-generated music. Although, as they only musician [currently] among my gaming group, I usually have to help the players compose the pieces for their bard PCs. *smirk*
quote:
I especially loved how you described the element of "original" tavern music, like it was made for all, bard and audience, for that single moment in time. Pure magic. Thanks to the bards constant desire to be the best at what they do and to become known and loved.
Reading this, I can see how it would be very difficult to keep a traditional record of legends, stories, and songs because of the fact that they are all changing from minstrel to minstrel.
Ed elaborates on this somewhat in those replies of his that I mentioned earlier. They're well-worth the read. And have helped to underline my own foundation of understanding music in my Realms.
quote:
By the way, if I'd have been in a place where any one was "boo'd" off the stage, I probobly wouldn't have been a very happy camper. Just because one doesn't like, or even appriciate, a certain styling of a particular musician doesn't mean you get to make them feel like crap. You shoulda just kept playing to make the point. I would have
Well, like most public performers, we tend to exist mainly at the whims of the audience. We have to be able to learn about the tastes and desires of patrons very quickly. But we can't discount the ability to learn as we perform as well. What they like must be just as important a consideration as what we, as performers, like.

That's partly what I was referring to earlier when I was talking about the bard and the audience sharing something special during a unique public performance. Music isn't just about the bard or the minstrel... it's about the audience as well. And the feelings and atmosphere that grows, almost organically, between both aspects -- the performer and the individuals in the audience. As a bard, you're not only playing music, you're also, sometimes, creating music as well. As you play. You realise what the audience like, and your performance shifts accordingly. You improvise and you learn, and the audience, usually, responds positively. So you can see how the individual listener is just as important to the public performance of music as is the performer him/herself.

And I'd imagine much of this is true within the Realms as well.

Go to Top of Page

Herkles
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  02:38:59  Show Profile  Visit Herkles's Homepage Send Herkles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is something I made up about elves and Arcane Archery, a myth about how it came about. Is this something that you are looking for, also sage when I finish getting my AA lore, can I have it up in the library?

In the early dawn of time, following our creation, we would learn skills that were necessary to survive. The Cuarista, or spell archer, is one of the gifts from the Saladerine. Though many traditions exist following their creation, The Saladerine is the ones who gave us the skill to mix magic and archery together. When Solonor the great archer, taught our people to use archery, Correllon guided the magic he had instilled in all of us, some of the early archers sought out the magic to combine it with their archery.

And the creator gave the archers magic, teaching them on how to enhance their arrows to fly farther, faster, and stronger than before. He taught us how to imbue our arrows with the spells of magic to give them strength. Solonor who had taught us how to use archery in the first place, gave us other abilities working together with our Creator, teaching us how to let our arrows split into many to hit multiple targets at once. Working with Aerdrie Faenya, lady of air and wind, as well as Sehanine Moonbow, The mystic Seer, The creator and Solonor taught us how to let our arrows fly so that our accuracy is near perfect, bypassing much that would normally stop an arrow.

It is because of these gifts from the holy Saladerine that we give thanks and honor them for it. They were the ones who taught us how to use our gifts, and it is by using them, that we honor them. It is because that we are children of the Saladerine that we can use these gifts, no non elf may use the gifts for it is only us that the Saladerine have allowed to use.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  03:53:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Herkles

... also sage when I finish getting my AA lore, can I have it up in the library?
I'm sure Alaundo can find a place for it the Traveler's Notebooks section.

Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  16:05:58  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to the songs, there are also a few snippets of ballads and tales in the WotC Mintiper's Chapbook archive, as long as you don't mind just one bard's perspective.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  17:44:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was also some discussion about songs and stories in one of my Ghostwalker threads, here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5626&whichpage=3

Do a Find on your browser for 02 Mar 2009, and start with Alisttair's question.

Also in my Ask the Sages thread, there's some discussion here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3930&whichpage=28

I recommend searching for 08 Nov 2008 : 01:44:45 to start with a post from me.

Finally, when it comes out in a couple weeks, Downshadow might hold some niblets of relevant lore for bards of the realms . . . just in case, you know.

Cheers

EDIT: Forgot one of those links! I put it in now.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 23 Mar 2009 02:51:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  23:42:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Finally, when it comes out in a couple weeks, Downshadow might hold some niblets of relevant lore for bards of the realms . . . just in case, you know.
Ah, excellent. Most of it will likely be summarised and included in my notebooks, as I did with the relevant info in Ghostwalker.

Oh, and here's one reference I forgot to mention above. You'll find some "niblets" of info on fire giant dance styles and music in the earlier chapters of The Ogre's Pact, the first book of the "Twilight Giants" trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  13:30:32  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much, all of you, for all the info.
And I can't believe my humble little topic was replied to by a Realms Author! *Bows*
Thanks, Mister de Bie.

Enjoyed the arcane archery tale, too. Would be great in an elven campaign!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  13:49:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wait until you're in a thread and Elaine responds to you... {heart flutters}

Edit: Not taking anything away from Erik or any of the other authors! But I mean, it's Elaine... It's like meeting Ed in person.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 25 Mar 2009 13:52:10
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  13:51:25  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*laughes giddily*
I loved Daughter of The Drow.

Also, someone recomended another series by her, but I can't remember what it is. It was an Elf series?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  14:59:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might be thinking of the "Songs & Swords" series -- Elfshadow, Elfsong, Silver Shadows, Thornhold, and The Dream Spheres.

Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  15:23:45  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's it! That's the one.
Thanks, Sage. As always, you are of invaluable assistance.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  22:58:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye.

I count the "Songs & Swords" books among my favourite Realms works. And it helps too that they feature my favourite Realms character -- Danilo Thann. And, as you can see from my initial replies above, they contain a wealth of musical-related Realmslore as well.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  00:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I can't believe my humble little topic was replied to by a Realms Author! *Bows*
Thanks, Mister de Bie.

Er, terribly welcome. [blushes]

(Mister de Bie's my father, by the way. Erik, as it please you.)

And if you're considering an elf campaign, let me know if you ever want to talk about bladesinging. As I believe a discussion back in my Chamber of the Sages thread makes pretty clear, I'm something of a fan.

(here, CTRL-F 29 November 2008, go from there)

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Aye.
I count the "Songs & Swords" books among my favourite Realms works. And it helps too that they feature my favourite Realms character -- Danilo Thann. And, as you can see from my initial replies above, they contain a wealth of musical-related Realmslore as well.

And I was just going to jump in with a little teaser and say that there may also be something about Danilo in Downshadow . . . ahem.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  01:04:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

(Mister de Bie's my father, by the way. Erik, as it please you.)
Heh. You reminded me of Ed then, Erik.
quote:
And I was just going to jump in with a little teaser and say that there may also be something about Danilo in Downshadow . . . ahem.
You're really making it difficult for me to temper my anticipation for this novel, you know?

Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  02:52:43  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik it is, then!
You know, I wanted nothing more than to sell a Realms novel to WoTC, and I still do, but I don't know. What with 4e happening and all. It made optimization impossible. All of you Realms author's have inspired me in so many ways and I just want to give something back to you, all of you, to be a part of the fellowship that you all have. *tears up* Sorry, I have a flare for the dramatic, but mean every word, lol.
I was going to buy the first book of Depths of Madness, had it in my hand, and left my wallet 30 miles away! *pouts* I was soooo mad, lol.
Also, did you do The Last Mythal Anthology? I loved the trilogy, but haven't read the Anthology yet, but I plan on it!

Elves are my favorite race in all the Realms. Their culture, history, and mastery of magic is so in deapth and fascinating...
I <3 Elven High Mage. I have only read about Bladesinger's in the sourcebooks, but it's a pretty interesting Pres. class. What was the other Elven Elite class other than Bladesinger? There was another, I'm sure of it...I guess I'll have to do some searching.

Well, thanks in advance to all. I hope you keep posting, Erik. I'd love to hear whatever it is you have to say on whatever subject.
Do you often PLAY Elven spellcasters/write about them?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  06:05:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Erik it is, then!
You know, I wanted nothing more than to sell a Realms novel to WoTC, and I still do, but I don't know. What with 4e happening and all. It made optimization impossible. All of you Realms author's have inspired me in so many ways and I just want to give something back to you, all of you, to be a part of the fellowship that you all have. *tears up* Sorry, I have a flare for the dramatic, but mean every word, lol.

AB, by posting on this site, you're part of the club whether you've published in the Realms or not. And glad we are.

I don't mean to distract from your very worthy question in the OP, but since you are the first poster in the thread, I figure the conversation is yours to steer as you will.

quote:
Also, did you do The Last Mythal Anthology? I loved the trilogy, but haven't read the Anthology yet, but I plan on it!

I made a small contribution to that anthology, yes, and am quite proud of it. I think the story turned out very well, and I am quite honored to be rubbing shoulders with giants such as Ed and Bob and Phil and Rich and Lisa and Rich.

quote:
I hope you keep posting, Erik. I'd love to hear whatever it is you have to say on whatever subject.
Do you often PLAY Elven spellcasters/write about them?

My post in my thread (linked above) talks all about my gaming/writing experience with bladesingers. Two pseudo-bladesingers have appeared in my Realms writing: Torlic, a minor villain in Ghostwalker who learned a fair number of tricks (albeit generally non-magical) from bladesingers he bested in his time, and Yldar Nathalan in "The Greater Treasure" (Realms of the Elves), who is sort of an apprentice bladesinger (Tom Costa and I wrote up game stats for him, but you should really read the story first, as the writeup kind of spoils it) . . .

Come to think of it, now that you ask the question, I have at least one fairly mighty elven spellcaster in every piece of my Realms writing. Bit of a trend, perhaps.

So as not to stray miles from the topic at hand (which I find fascinating), please feel welcome to question me further about all things elven in my own thread, if you like. I tend to gather some pretty cool opinions there on a variety of subjects. (Speaking of which, I wonder if it isn't time BT/MW came up again . . .)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  18:32:13  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OP? Ah, anyway, thanks for those kind words. I never thought I'd be hearing any words from a Realms author, little lone have them posting in a topic I made. lol
What I'm trying to say is that I appriciate it.

I'm gonna pick up Depths of Madness and the Anthology next time I'm out. I don't have a car at the present and it makes it very hard on me to get out anywhere. I live in a one red-light town and have to drive atleast 20 miles before I see any sort of civilization lol.

I started a short story based around an Elven High Mage as the main character, but haven't finnished it. I haven't had time to work on a lot of my stories since I got a job and have been in school. *laments* The days when all I did was write...
Anyway, I don't mind if it's a trend or not. You got my vote for awesome! lol
I'll check out your CoS thread, too.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  22:55:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

OP?
I think Erik means "original/opening post."

Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  00:46:21  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. Thanks, Sage
What forum's do you host/post the most in, Sage? I love reading what you write lol.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  13:11:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay. Thanks, Sage
What forum's do you host/post the most in, Sage? I love reading what you write lol.

I think I'll take this to PM Brandon. Okay?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000