Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Fanged Crown - Spoilers possible
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2009 :  12:50:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good start, piracy is pretty common and hard to get worked up about, but Jenna does a good job in letting us know how hard Harp has worked to aquire and pay for his ship and even though he is not where he wants to be in his life he is willing to die to save her. I am very interested to get into the jungle, as I think it was under covers in novels to date.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2009 :  21:39:25  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Is this a new novel?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2009 :  22:51:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. 'Tis part of "The Wilds" series. See here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  02:15:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Ah, thanks Sage. I knew about the series, I didn't realize that the first one was out now.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

yshyi
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  04:31:36  Show Profile  Visit yshyi's Homepage Send yshyi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was good, the jungles of chult was a refreshing setting tho the end seemed a bit hurried.

yshyi
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  17:49:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-So its set in Xen'Drik, I mean Chult?

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  22:14:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to note that using the jungles of Chult as a setting is nothing new--it was done already and quite well in Ring of Winter and Vanity's Brood.

Of course, in those books Chult wasn't an island...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2009 :  00:19:30  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I just want to note that using the jungles of Chult as a setting is nothing new--it was done already and quite well in Ring of Winter and Vanity's Brood.

Of course, in those books Chult wasn't an island...

And there was not a prison on a mote floating in Tethyr either.....
Which is my only dislike so far in the book. Interesting characters(including a Dwarf as probably the second most important )

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2009 :  03:38:49  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I like it. A floating Earth/Toril Mote Prison!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  19:47:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm....a machine that runs on blood and skin.

Thats different.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  15:25:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked this book overall, some good characters and good story.

Problems I had with it included the machine which ran on blood and skin.....even though I wasn't crazy about it. It was really only mentioned once....seemed to have importance to what went on in the jungle making the husk, but was left unexplained.
It did not feel like this novle fit into "my realms"....now I realize that is highly sucjective and in no way am I telling anyone to "avoid 4e novels!" It just felt...out of phase with what I like and enjoy about the realms. In fact I do think it is a good book...just not a Realms book to me.
My biggest issue was the ending. At least the lack of one, it was cut at least 1 chapter short if not more. When you are reading what turns out to be the last page, I flipped it over expecting another chapter to start, but nothing...that was it. It was very unsatisfying for me. It really ruined what was a satisfying read until that point. I have heard nothing but good about the author, so I will hang that on editing I guess? When reading a stand alone novel in a series of unrelated books, I just thinks the mojor threads should be tied up. In the end we are left not knowing the finally re-united lovers fate, since they are riding off with a princess who is much more than she seemed to be(and a threat to their safety), and not knowing if there friends make it to the Moonshaes to await them or not.

Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  07:19:45  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed this novel! The ending worked for me. It was a nice twist. I'm glad that this was a 4E novel without any Spell Scarred or Spellplagued individuals. Thanks for a great read Jenna!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  14:49:29  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so is chult an island now due to spellplague.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  21:12:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

so is chult an island now due to spellplague.

Yes it is.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  08:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please fellow scribes, when does this novel take place ? What are the year of beginning and the year of ending of the story ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  10:33:20  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is set in 1479.

Shar!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  10:39:21  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nightseer

I think it is set in 1479.

Thanks Nightseer

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Grumpyoldmage
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  05:49:39  Show Profile  Visit Grumpyoldmage's Homepage Send Grumpyoldmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed the novel, and it was my first purchase of a novel set in the 4E time frame. I am an old holdout and will be staying with 3.5 as my system of choice. (Having purchased and run everything from 1st Edition on..)

I am not however, a fan of this idea of a series of books with a linked theme written by different authors. It means "you never know what your going to get" as far as quality. For example, I have recently purchased the follow up new novel in the series, and haven't been nearly as impressed.

Frankly I think they should do a "Classic Realms" Line of books, so that authors could continue to write in the classic forgotten realms setting that was closer to Ed Greenwood's dream.

Quote of Karsus - "The Elves started this when they tried to steal the Nether Scrolls. They are a culture of the past, who's idea's are as antiquated as their magic."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  01:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grumpyoldmage

Frankly I think they should do a "Classic Realms" Line of books, so that authors could continue to write in the classic forgotten realms setting that was closer to Ed Greenwood's dream.

I'd love that, too. I don't expect to see it, though (maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised someday?).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000