Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten realms book tips!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janav
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  17:28:20  Show Profile  Visit Janav's Homepage Send Janav a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Up until now i've dabbled very widely in the fantasy genre, reading a plethora of excellent and less-then-excellent fantasy books. My recent delving into FR literature involved reading WoTSQ as well as the R.A Salvatore series Cleric Quintet, Paths of Darkness and Legacy of the drow. I've also read the Icewind Dale Trilogy and The dark elf trilogy. Apart from these series, my only experience with FR has come from reading the FR lore found in sourcebooks and surrounding websites/wikis to supply knowledge and background for my D&D campaigns.

Like i said, i've read various things when it comes to fantasy. I've read and re-read the works of Jaqueline Carey, Robert Jordan, Robin hobb, Katherine Kerr, Tolkien, Raymond E. Feist, Terry Goodkind, Christie Golden to mention a few but i find myself wanting more realmslore/literature now.

So, long story short: I want your booktips/advice. I'm about to place my monthly bookorder to the fortunate supplier who should build a bookstore next to my house considering the monetary contribution i've made to their business over the past 5,5 years, and i want your forgotten-realms additions to that list.

I've made my own pickings to begin with. WoTSQ, despite it's (imho) somewhat annoying albeit fascinating ending and despite my initial reluctance to read about what happens to poor & pityable Halisstra Melarn, has fuelled my desire for more drow lore/literature. As such, my order so far contains the Lady Pentinent trilogy by Lisa Smedman as well as the Starlight and Shadows trilogy by Elaine Cunningham. Since books are so cheap here, and it would be foolish to place an order below 150$, i'm looking for some of your input on what else to order.

So, if you have the time/will, tell me what other books/series to order (certainly don't have to be drow-related) and jot down a sentence or two as to why i should read them/they are so good.

A quick notice; I live in Sweden and very few recently-published books by fresh authors are available here. Since the amazon shipping fee for a single pocket exceeds the price of the book itself, i've decided against ordering from an outside source for now. if you mention something that isn't written by a "well-known" author, chances are it won't be available here.

Thank you in advance!

So far:
Daughter of the Drow
Tangled Webs
Windwalker

Sacrifice of the Widow
Storm of the Dead
Ascendancy of the Last

Downshadow

The Halls of Stormweather
Shadow's Witness
The Shattered Mask
Black Wolf
Heirs of Prophecy
Sands of the Soul
Lord of Stormweather

Spellfire
Crown of Fire
Hand of Fire

The Last Mythal Trilogy (Giftset)

Edited by - Janav on 21 Jun 2009 19:10:15

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  17:34:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though we never quite reached a consensus, this is a topic that was discussed at length in the Experienced help for recommending FR Novels thread. Perusing that scroll may be helpful for you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Janav
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  17:39:06  Show Profile  Visit Janav's Homepage Send Janav a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Though we never quite reached a consensus, this is a topic that was discussed at length in the Experienced help for recommending FR Novels thread. Perusing that scroll may be helpful for you.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll read the thread thoroughly and see what i come up with :).
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  18:04:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Though we never quite reached a consensus... <snip>

We shall never reach a consensus until everyone agrees that Once Around the Realms is NOT the worst book! (this is meant in very joking terms. I know I'm in the minority)

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kairin
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  20:16:16  Show Profile  Visit Kairin's Homepage Send Kairin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bookdepository Janav. They send books to Sweden with free shipping and are cheaper than Swedish webshops most of the time ;) I never have problem with getting new books... I often get them even faster as places like the sf bookstore don't care about street dates.

Edited by - Kairin on 19 Jun 2009 20:17:29
Go to Top of Page

Janav
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  21:52:00  Show Profile  Visit Janav's Homepage Send Janav a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kairin

bookdepository Janav. They send books to Sweden with free shipping and are cheaper than Swedish webshops most of the time ;) I never have problem with getting new books... I often get them even faster as places like the sf bookstore don't care about street dates.

I usually never have problems finding books either. While i said that only "famous" authors would be represented in the store, the first book i couldn't find at adlibris was DeBie's Downshadow which i really wanted to order. Thanks for the tip about the bookdepository though. I'll definitely check it out. If it's as good and reliable as you say, i might switch supplier. :)
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  22:06:55  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read the Erevis Cale Trilogy by Paul S Kemp and, despite my angry about Erevis Cale, I should say is a good reading. Have a great plan/plot from the villains and it has a very good pace.

Also the Last Mythal Trilogy, that is a great source of Realms lore and the history is very good too, despite my angry about the main character (?) Araevin.

You should read both, but my suggestion is The Avatar Series Trilogy (With the five books ). This is the start for the realms I like and all Realms Fans should read. I think all already had read (Iīm not angry with the main character, au contrair ).

My second should be Starlight and Shadows Trilogy (I like the main character in this book too ), but you got it already.

I'm jelous of you. The book in Brazil with the shipping costs becomes triple or even more. I paid 50 dollars for Last Mythal boxed set and arrived after 2 months .

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2009 :  15:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart
We shall never reach a consensus until everyone agrees that Once Around the Realms is NOT the worst book! (this is meant in very joking terms. I know I'm in the minority)

I just have to say, that I laughed hard when reading "Once around the Realms", and, though I wouldnīt want to introduce large portions of it into "my Realms", I liked it just fine. Mighty fine. I think I even threw undead elven ninja assassins at my players once...

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2009 :  19:44:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Janav

I usually never have problems finding books either. While i said that only "famous" authors would be represented in the store, the first book i couldn't find at adlibris was DeBie's Downshadow which i really wanted to order.

You should also check out my blog (specifically this page), where you can get me to buy you one personally and mail it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2009 :  21:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

My copy is stashed next to the two different versions of Around the World in 80 Days that I own. I do appreciate it more as a "80 Days" homage than a Realms novel, but then I watched and laughed during the Jackie Chan version of "80 Days" too.

I'm enjoying Downshadow right now. If you're looking for a dark, bittersweet chocolate read, this is a good one.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2009 :  22:29:20  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones
My copy is stashed next to the two different versions of Around the World in 80 Days that I own. I do appreciate it more as a "80 Days" homage than a Realms novel...

Exactly. I read "Passepout" and that was the first grin right there. So, now to gather my thoughts on "Downshadow" to present them to Erik a cohesive manner and then onward towards "City of the Dead"...for which Ed wrote a lovely introduction, btw. High Praise and all.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  02:12:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

I'm enjoying Downshadow right now. If you're looking for a dark, bittersweet chocolate read, this is a good one.
I really wish the Lady K would finish up with our copy. She managed to grab the copy of Downshadow Erik sent to me before I did. So I've had to sit back and watch as she snickers, "oooh's," and "ahhh's," at particular scenes in the book. She even became teary-eyed during one part.

It hasn't been easy.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  05:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Dart: Thank you for your overwhelming praise! It is a serious honor.

@Sage: This is what I get for signing it to both of you, eh?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  06:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage...I believe it shall be more than worth your wait. Just donīt be surprised if your lady should look a you witheringly on the morrow uttering an oathlike, disgusted "Men...".

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  07:09:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, she already did that after I myself got all teary-eyed with Khelben's death in Blackstaff.

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

@Sage: This is what I get for signing it to both of you, eh?
Oh, yeah. I sometimes wonder whether it's worth having "His" and "Her" reading piles.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Jun 2009 07:12:50
Go to Top of Page

Janav
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  19:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Janav's Homepage Send Janav a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bit of an update. Decided to follow some of the advice given in the topic and perused the larger scroll as well as a few choices of my own. Ended up with a bit of everything this time. Should last me for a while to come and good timing too considering there is a sweltering heatwave coming which is like asking for me to sit outside and read all day :p.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who offered suggestions/help, ended up ordering this batch through bookdepository to see how they perform.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000