Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 123

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  21:23:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Blueblade dear, in the words of Ed's now deceased father (a longtime chorister and faithful churchgoer): "Son, you're preaching to the perverted."

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  21:28:51  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Perverted, eh?
So would that be, as Ed once described you sharing in such situations, "happy bouncing love"?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  21:32:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
It would indeed.
You HAVE been paying attention.
Which reminds me: Ed commented to me that he has now seen at least the first drafts of the six "Eddie Presents Waterdeep," and has been both delighted by them as "cracking good stories" and for their attention to Realmslore and detail.
So, happy reading ahead for all . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  01:39:24  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message
The next six in the series?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  03:36:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No, the six novels that have been scheduled or already published (so: Blackstaff Tower by Steven Schend, Mistshore by Jaleigh Johnson, Downshadow by Erik Scott de Bie, all out already, and three more that haven't yet been printed). Word is out unofficially about some of the not-yet-published titles, but I'm not sure if specifics can officially be discussed yet. Nor do I know if there will be more than six books in the series. I'd love to see a "Waterdeep jam" book with Ed and lots of other authors having a wild collaborative story, but arranging such a project seems a lot harder these days than in the elder and wackier times of TSR.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  04:28:29  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I'd love to see a "Waterdeep jam" book with Ed and lots of other authors having a wild collaborative story, but arranging such a project seems a lot harder these days than in the elder and wackier times of TSR.
love,
THO

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that myself. The City of Splendors is home to such a unique mixture of themes and cultures. A collaborative undertaking would indeed be a worthwhile project -- and would, again, underline what I love most about Waterdeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  05:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
I know *I* would love to revisit some of my Downshadow characters, or any of the awesome personas Ed wrote for the Waterdeep bible. [tease tease]

And the titles of the six Ed Presents Waterdeep novels are all listed in the front of Downshadow . . . but I think I'll let people check for themselves. Just one more reason to pick up a copy at the bookstore, nay?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29993 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  05:14:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm going to have to figure out how to get hired as a WotC writer, I think, because I really want to see that Waterdeep bible!

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  06:32:45  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

And the titles of the six Ed Presents Waterdeep novels are all listed in the front of Downshadow . . . but I think I'll let people check for themselves. Just one more reason to pick up a copy at the bookstore, nay?
The last time I checked, they were all pretty much listed at WotC now as well.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  06:50:15  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I've got another question, though it's more gaming related: I read in 'Four From Cormyr', that Azoun and Fee often attend parties, where the PC's can meet them, and talk with them for a minute or so (before Vangey shoos them away). Now, a PC of mine was once a young married man, whose wife had a fling with Azoun, and died in childbirth along with her child. However, she told him that before she died. The guy went king of grief-insane, and convinced himself it was all Azoun's fault. SO in return, he decided to become an adventurer and kill Fee. He plans to bypass the peace-bond on his sword by having the wizard of the group cast 'animate rope' on it, pretend to want to talk with Fee, release the peace bond, stab her (the sword is poisoned, obviously). He really couldn't care much about escaping (I said he was kind of grief-insane).
My question is, is this possible? Could he feasibly do it? Would Vangey note there was magic on the peace-bond? If so, could he not realize it if both the scabbard and sword were also enchanted? And my PC succeeds, what would be his fate? I plan to have Fee resurrected (if she even dies), so no harm there (I wouldn't go against canon), but would that matter to Azoun? Will the fact that the guy is half-insane matter? Will his motive matter? Might it be that Azoun will understand, and decide, 'If this guy is so determined, let's make him an agent of the crown' (somewhat like Storm did in the memory in ELminster in Hell)?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  07:17:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
I'm not Ed, but I'd say Vangey has at least Ironguard (Spell Compendium, p125) and Delay Poison cast on both Azoun and Fee before they attend any such party.

Storywise, I'd also put it out there that the character should succeed in the attempt (i.e. he stabs Fee), but the spells of course protect her. Then have Fee recognize him, realize the grief-induced stress of the situation and have Azoun and Fee forgive him in a scene that is 'Ed-esque' with lots of hugging by Fee, fond memories of his wife by Azoun (along with the 'she was utterly faithful to you' speech).

If that doesn't bring the character around to forgiving them and becoming a staunch king's man (or if he keeps trying to kill them), have Vangey and the other dozen war wizards in the room make a spectacular example of him to the other nobles.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  07:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I'm not Ed, but I think I have an idea how this might go... If people want me to sit down and shut up, please tell me.

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
My question is, is this possible? Could he feasibly do it? Would Vangey note there was magic on the peace-bond? If so, could he not realize it if both the scabbard and sword were also enchanted? And my PC succeeds, what would be his fate? I plan to have Fee resurrected (if she even dies), so no harm there (I wouldn't go against canon), but would that matter to Azoun? Will the fact that the guy is half-insane matter? Will his motive matter? Might it be that Azoun will understand, and decide, 'If this guy is so determined, let's make him an agent of the crown' (somewhat like Storm did in the memory in ELminster in Hell)?

From my reading of the situation, it would be impossible for the PC to kill Fee. Hurt her, yes indeed, kill her? Not very likely.

If the War Wizards haven't picked up the guy's insanity via various mind reading spells, and he manages to get close enough to strike her, the chances are Fee will have a Periapt of Proof against Poison, or some other such enchanted item or spell cast upon her designed to stop poisons from harming the wearer, on her. If she doesn't and Vangerdahast is there, the chances are that he would easily be able to produce a potion of Neutralize Poison (and of Cure X Wounds) from somewhere on his person. If he didn't have the potion on hand, then one of his War Wizards in the vicinity would, and if even they don't then a quick teleport to a temple in order to have a cleric cast Neutralize poison would do the trick.

But IF all of this falls through and Fee is instantly killed in such a way that cannot be prevented, then they wouldn't resurrect her because there are laws against any of the Obarskyrs being raised (which is the reason Tanalasta wasn't raised after she was killed in Death of the Dragon). This has something to do with preventing complications to clean succession. Unfortunately, I expect Filfaeril falls under these laws as well as Azoun and his children.

As for the PC, I'd expect he'd be captured and mind reamed forthwith. I doubt they'd kill him, except if he tried to fight back, and even then I expect they'd be more interested in who put him up to the assassination in the first place, and would try to subdue him quickly. After that, I suppose it would be up to Vangerdahast to determine the fate of the poor guy - but the chances are, after all the rough treatment of his mind he won't be up to much. So, in other words, I'd be saying to the player, "Are you really sure you want to be doing that?"! Also, the trouble is, the guy is (partially?) insane with grief, this is not a man who is going to listen to reason (at least not immediately). There's nothing in this story to suggest that the man wouldn't have another go at Fee if he got the chance, and that would likely sign his death warrant. (Oh and if Fee is killed outright, the PC is unlikely to survive the experience, IMHO.)

ETA: OOH, I forgot about Ironguard spells... So yeah, there's no way this guy would kill Fee.

I'm also less sentimental, and I think insanity should be treated seriously - this guy is insane with grief, no amount of begging for forgiveness is going to make this man forgive Azoun. He's unreasonable, and acting irrationally. This is not something that you can fix with a few hugs, IMHO.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 26 Apr 2009 07:56:21
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  11:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thanks for the answers, first of all.
I don't know. When I asked him to describe his insanity, he quoted Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters regarding Duke Felmet: 'Shreds of insanity surrounding, a strong, utterly determined will'. He was aware there would be spells, which was why I asked the question: I wanted to know which spells and help would be around. The PC was thinking of getting a wizard to cast some nullifying magic [what, he isn't sure yet, although from the description, I'd say he'd need a Dispel (maybe a few of them) and an anti-magic field - it would mean they'd have to drag Fee out of the shield first, by which time she might be dead]. I might give him some help from Zhentarim or Red WIzards if I feel he needs it - they'd definitely agree to it. I too, am more leaning towards the make-up option. But it'll be a bit of a problem
Just a question Ashe: Why would Fee recognize the PC? She doesn't know him (it would seem), and it was Azoun who dallied with his wife. Now, Fee might know all about Azoun's 'rides', but actually recognizing the guy seems a bit far...

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Edited by - Menelvagor on 26 Apr 2009 11:29:00
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  12:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

Thanks for the answers, first of all.
I don't know. When I asked him to describe his insanity, he quoted Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters regarding Duke Felmet: 'Shreds of insanity surrounding, a strong, utterly determined will'. He was aware there would be spells, which was why I asked the question: I wanted to know which spells and help would be around. The PC was thinking of getting a wizard to cast some nullifying magic [what, he isn't sure yet, although from the description, I'd say he'd need a Dispel (maybe a few of them) and an anti-magic field - it would mean they'd have to drag Fee out of the shield first, by which time she might be dead]. I might give him some help from Zhentarim or Red WIzards if I feel he needs it - they'd definitely agree to it. I too, am more leaning towards the make-up option. But it'll be a bit of a problem

In order for the nullifying spells to be cast, the Zhent or Red Wizard or whomever would have to first get past the War Wizards and Highknights who are sure to be on hand somewhere, and probably avoid the gaze of other benign protector types around (the Harpers, Alusair, Elminster in disguise, Sylune (if it's at the palace, since some of her flagstones are present within the palace, and she may well have had a tip off from Harper agents via Storm), the odd Paladin, or whoever else is present with the best interests of Cormyr/the Crown at heart)... They might even need to avoid other malevolent people who might try to stop them to their own ends. There's a reason the Zhents and/or Red Wizards have been unsuccessful in their attempts to knock off the royals (or pull other types of stunts). Getting at the Obarskyrs is just not something you wake up one day and decide to do, then get it done that same night.

Oh, also, how would this PC know what kinds of spells Filfaeril might be protected by, or is he just assuming "all of them"? I definitely would not tell the player what spells he's going to come up against unless he has a genuine in character reason for knowing... And even then, there's also a very good chance there might be one or two protective spells that are very rare or unique to Vangerdahast's spell books, which he is not going to have a hope in all the planes of knowing about. Educated guesses can only take you so far.

And since you've stated you don't really want him to succeed, well... What can I say? He's going to fail. (Don't forget, as I mentioned in my last post, that Filfaeril cannot be raised from the dead by law, so she has to survive this attempt if you don't want to stray too much from canon!)

If the PC has brought those types in, then he's toast when it's all over. I can't think of anyway he'd be saved from the executioner. Sounds like the player is about to commit character suicide by Good Guy.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 26 Apr 2009 12:47:25
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3295 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  14:57:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
Getting at the Obarskyrs is just not something you wake up one day and decide to do, then get it done that same night.
Right. The plan is just much too simple: if it was so easy to kill queens it would happen far more often. It would need to be much cleverer, with several more layers, to anticipate and bypass the various physical and magical securities (including personal and local wards, item-borne protections, contingencies and more) that protect such as the Obarskyrs. Just getting a rough idea what those were would involve extensive magical observation (liable to be detected!) or bought intelligence/expertise. All this is why direct attacks on rivals are so rare in these ranks of intrigue: they're likely suicide even for archmages.

The plan would get nowhere near succeeding, and there, perhaps, the dramatic pathos would be.

On the other hand, suddenly playing up this complexity and layeredness might seem a stark change if you've not already done so in the campaign.

Edited by - Faraer on 26 Apr 2009 15:06:08
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  15:58:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ashe is quite right; the Obarskyrs have doubled Ironguard and poison-quelling magics on them whenever appearing in public, and a single layer of such magics (via rings or gorgets they wear) at all other times.
The problem with an "anti-magic" spell of any sort being employed by a would-be assassin is this: the asssassin must be able to manage the casting JUST before striking (i.e. in the room with the royals, AND with a lot of watchful War Wizards and a Highknight or two). If the assassin is carrying an item capable of generating anti-magic, they'd have to be a loyal War Wizard to get that close without being challenged (what's this item you're carrying, saer? Let's go into this handy chamber over here and talk about it, shall we?), and if they are bearing an operating anti-magic effect of any sort on their person, they'd never get anywhere near a meeting with the Obarskyrs: there are so many wards and other magical effects operating in both the Royal Court building and the Royal Palace (not to mention, again, on-duty War Wizard and Highknight observers) that the presence of the anit-magic effect would be detected, and the intruder physically stopped, overpowered, or misdirected away from the royals (and the royals moved away from anywhere the intruder can get to), not far from wherever the would-be assassin entered either the Court or the Palace.
Now, as this would-be assassin is an adventurer, he would already be, by definition, suspicious to the War Wizards (adventurers mean TROUBLE, remember?), and already attracting particular attention. Even if such an adventurer poses no trouble at all, it's quite likely an adventurer seeking to meet with the royals wants to ask a boon, or share information that hasn't been "cleared" by Vangey first, or cause some other sort of long-term trouble. So don't expect that the adventurer would go unnoticed. Nor should one expect that Vangey doesn't know about the dead wife (and the potential for revenge) already; the War Wizards and Highknights keep records on all adventurers, of both facts and suspicions. It's also not customary for persons who are not also nobles of Cormyr, or envoys of other realms, or members of Cormyr's armed forces, to come armed into the presence of royalty in formal settings (i.e. feasts and revels, as opposed to encountering an Obarksyr at a hunting lodge or in the forest or riding on the road). The very charters that bind Cormyrean-resident adventurers include provisions for adventurers to be disarmed in all sorts of necessary situations (at the sole discretion of War Wizards or courtiers and Purple Dragons of particular ranks), including something so simple as arrest for a possibly spurious or honestly mistaken charge.
Now, I'm not saying that the adventurer COULDN'T get to the king or queen; I'm just saying that a fairly simple plan that doesn't happen to benefit from the aid of favourable circumstances isn't likely to succeed . . . and an adventurer who skulks about seeking to watch the Obarskyrs for either a good opportunity to strike or to learn about their routines and habits to try to plan a good attack, is NOT going to go unnoticed. War Wizards and Highknights may very well pay such an adventurer a "friendly visit" long before they approach the Palace or Court, if their preparations aren't covert enough.
All in all, this can make for a very good long-term roleplaying challenge, Menelvagor, and your suggestion about Azoun's reaction is right on: you obviously "get" the king's character very well.
Back to you . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  16:28:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
First off, many thanks THO!

quote:

<snip>
Just a question Ashe: Why would Fee recognize the PC? She doesn't know him (it would seem), and it was Azoun who dallied with his wife. Now, Fee might know all about Azoun's 'rides', but actually recognizing the guy seems a bit far...

Actually, it goes hand-in-hand with what the Lovely Hooded One said regarding Vangey knowing everything about the adventurer. Fee has her own network of information outside of Vangey's, and I'm sure that she's kept tabs on Azoun's 'rides' as well, especially if the word 'pregnancy' has come up.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  16:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thanks a lot for all the help. This will make it a lot more complicated - and fun.
Just a little more background, so I can get a bit more information:
The PC had a plan to murder Fee all along, and has spent the last 5-10 years of his life building to it. He's a powerful adventurer - 14th level. He and his friends have helped Cormyr quite a few times, giving them recognition, the right not to bear a charter, and a bit of land, so technically, they're noble. The PC did all this because he knew it would help him achieve his goal. He also took care to disappear as completely as he could, because of stories of Vangey's watch over Azoun's rides. I'm not saying he managed it, but he thinks he did.
So: they may be allowed to bear weapons, are respected enough to be able to have a word or two with Azoun, are not expected to ask anything of him, trusted, and have never met either the Royals or Vangey directly until now (they dealt with underlings - the highest they've gotten is Laspeera).
As I said, I am disinclined to give him outside help, mostly for the reasons you yourself mentioned, Milady. However, the wizard of the group has agreed to help him, as he's strictly neutral, and the PC has promised he can have all his wealth if he dies.
I know he probably won't succeed, especially as I don't want him to, but I want him to at least do some damage to her. Dramatic effect, and all that. It would be kind of disappointing if he stabs her, and then nothing happens, after all the effort he took. I plan to have Azoun and Fee forgive him, and as he's no fool, he'll probably take it. He just likes lots of drama. He'll probably find himself a new craze soon enough. It's hard, but makes for a much better game. So, any ideas how he might harm her, and nobody will die (except maybe the wizard, but he plans to teleport out... which may be the next adventure...)?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  17:16:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Hee-hee! I'm liking this story. I think it works better if Fee isn't hurt at all. It drives home the fact that the crown is near-impossible to assassinate. I suspect that they will be much more lenient towards the grief-stricken PC than the wizard. In fact, as the PC stabs at Fee, if the wizard attempts to teleport, he should complete the spell and have nothing happen except a war-wizard and Highknight grabbing his elbows to 'discuss' proper protocal when visiting royalty much like THO described them directing would-be assassins to a nice, quiet corner.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13563 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  19:51:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
A poison with a anti-magic field would work (and did, in Beyond the High Road). However, getting close-enough to use such a thing would require a brilliant plan.

In that novel, it required a many-tiered plot, worked-out for months (years?) in advance, which included both a Netherease artifact and a seduction.

In other words... good luck with that.

Oh, and someone tries to kill Fee and Azoun hugs them afterwards?

NOT!!!!!!!!!!

In fact, Vangerdehast would be hard-pressed to keep the fellow alive long enough to mind-probe. Azoun is far more likely to forgive someone of attempting his life, then that of his wife (and he really wouldn't be overly found of them for attempting his either).

That entire 'observation' was full of holes - why is Azoun telling him "she was utterly faithful to you"? That implies Azoun forced her, and I am certainly NOT seeing that in his character AT ALL. You'd be turning him into Uther Pendragon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Apr 2009 19:53:13
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  19:57:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Actually, MT, I was setting it up as Azoun had a relationship years ago, before she met the PC.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  20:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Oh. Whoops, sorry Ashe, I didn't realize that. The point is that he actually fears his son wasn't his, it was Azoun's.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  00:25:01  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

Thanks a lot for all the help. This will make it a lot more complicated - and fun.
Just a little more background, so I can get a bit more information:
The PC had a plan to murder Fee all along, and has spent the last 5-10 years of his life building to it. He's a powerful adventurer - 14th level. He and his friends have helped Cormyr quite a few times, giving them recognition, the right not to bear a charter, and a bit of land, so technically, they're noble. The PC did all this because he knew it would help him achieve his goal. He also took care to disappear as completely as he could, because of stories of Vangey's watch over Azoun's rides. I'm not saying he managed it, but he thinks he did.

5 to 10 years and the best plan he can come up with is "take one anti-magic device into the palace and stab her with a poisoned dagger"? I think he needs a better plan.

Also, if he's been planning this for some time and acting in the best interests of Cormyr because he wants to kill the Queen - well if he's insane, he's a coldly calculating crazy, not a in the heat of the moment grief stricken passionate insane. I personally think the War Wizards might have picked up on his deception by now.

And from the rest of your description, I'd call him a suicidal psychopath - he's there for the thrill, and he doesn't seem to care who gets hurt along the way - even himself. I think the death of his lover/wife is just an excuse.

Unless you rule that Heal can heal those kinds of insanity (ie: non-spell induced insanity), I don't expect the crown to have much mercy on him... I agree with Markustay - Azoun is not going to be hugging and forgiving someone who tried to kill his wife and actually succeeded in hurting her in the process, at least not in a hurry or on the spot. (He might forgive someone who tried but failed with no harm done, but even then...)

quote:
As I said, I am disinclined to give him outside help, mostly for the reasons you yourself mentioned, Milady. However, the wizard of the group has agreed to help him, as he's strictly neutral, and the PC has promised he can have all his wealth if he dies.

And the wizard thinks he's going to get away with helping him scot free? Ha, that's a laugh!

quote:
I know he probably won't succeed, especially as I don't want him to, but I want him to at least do some damage to her. Dramatic effect, and all that. It would be kind of disappointing if he stabs her, and then nothing happens, after all the effort he took. I plan to have Azoun and Fee forgive him, and as he's no fool, he'll probably take it. He just likes lots of drama. He'll probably find himself a new craze soon enough. It's hard, but makes for a much better game. So, any ideas how he might harm her, and nobody will die (except maybe the wizard, but he plans to teleport out... which may be the next adventure...)?

Well, pick some place outside the palace. Maybe when the King and Queen are riding off somewhere. Hire a (very) large number of thugs (including a number of spell casters) to ambush them on their route somewhere, ride in to the rescue - and then try for the Queen in the confusion. They'd need to act quickly before Vangerdahast could teleport the royals out. (Knowing Azoun, he'd insist on sticking around and fighting - I'm not sure what Filfaeril would do).

If you have to bend canon somewhat to get the effect you want, then bend it. But just bear in mind that the immediate reactions of Vangerdahast and the King and Queen won't necessarily be to forgive this PC and his wizard accomplice on the spot. And even if the Queen herself does forgive the man, the King may not be as ready to do so... And if they BOTH forgive him - don't expect Vangerdahast to let him go that easily. If Vangerdahast thinks this guy is a threat (and he will, because he won't believe any contrition on behalf of the man - he spent 5 to 10 years preparing for this, and there's no reason to believe he won't try again), he'll go to whatever lengths he thinks he needs to in order to neutralize the threat (and the simplest way would just be to kill him). There's no way your PC and his wizard friend are going to avoid incarceration (even if forgiven by the King and Queen) for at least a short time, and accidents do happen...

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13563 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  00:46:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

Oh. Whoops, sorry Ashe, I didn't realize that. The point is that he actually fears his son wasn't his, it was Azoun's.

Well, I got that part (after all, you said his wife died in child-birth).

Unless she was an elephant and had been pregnant for 22 months.

The only way that would have been feasable is if they were married less then nine months, in which case he certainly couldn't be all that mad at Azoun. Another thing working against that scenario is that it would have happened recently, and AFAIK, Azoun's 'wenching days' have been over for years.

Oh, and to add to my last post - the poison was inhaled, which is why it didn't need to bypass an Irongaurd.

Read the novel if you need to know more.

And since I don't want to get in trouble, and another possible method has just occurred to me...

Ed, is the Royal Complex warded against undead? I would imagine such was common practice (I remember you detailed a Keep that had such in a Dragon article).

Because if it wasn't, or you could find out where and when Azoun was going to be outside of the Castle, probably the easiest way to get to him would be to have a spirit possess someone close to him, that he trusts (like Fee... woudn't THAT be a surprise...)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Apr 2009 00:49:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  01:01:47  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Folks, can we shift the current side-discussion to another scroll? Markus has returned us to questions for Ed, so let's keep it at that.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 123 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000