Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  03:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by gomez

quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar

I can't for the life of me figure out why Wizards doesn't hire Ed to just churn out Volo's Guides.

Wizards has some reserves to follow the publishing model of the Volo's guides. The realms are a little darker these days, a little harder to get around, and they don't really want 'a single voice connecting disparate areas'.

Of course, in a year or five, they may change their minds, but I wouldn't count on Volo guides at the moment. thena gain, I don't know what Ed is going to write for Dragon...
Did any of you read the [brief] Volo's Guides by Eric and Ed published individually in the last few printed issues of DRAGON Magazine?

More than Eric and Ed. Ed wrote an introduction to each of the Volo's entries from DRAGON 351-359, but there were other authors. For those interested, here's a complete rundown of those last Volo's Guides:

#351 - "Lost Regalia of the North: The Toppled Thrones," by Eric L. Boyd
#352 - "Volo's Guide To the Forgotten Dead," by Brian Cortijo
#353 - "Outsiders of the Forgotten Realms," by Thomas M. Costa
#354 - "Cormanthor: War Amidst the Trees," by Eric L. Boyd
#355 - "Demon Cults of the Realms," by Eric L. Boyd
#356 - "Wyrms of the West, East and South," by Brian Cortijo
#357 - "Renegades of Darkhold," by George Krashos
#358 - "War Upon the Sands," by Brian Cortijo
#359 - "Myth Drannor, City of Song," by Eric L. Boyd

And yes, I've read them all. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  04:03:03  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
It's just a shame they never released them aside from the magazines. I wish they were around online for those of us that don't have the issues to read.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  04:38:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

More than Eric and Ed. Ed wrote an introduction to each of the Volo's entries from DRAGON 351-359, but there were other authors.
Sorry Brian. I'd meant to mention you, Tom, and Krash as well. But when I re-edited the post earlier, I forgot.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  05:31:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed, I'm finally geting around to re-reading Code of the Harpers (the last time I read it was when it first came out), and I greatly enjoyed the opening 'tale' (synopsis is more like it) of the exploits of Mestrel Hawkmantle (all in a single year!)

You left it with him walking through a portal and disappearing... whatever happened to him? Where did that portal lead? It just so happens to be in an area I have a great interest in (the borderlands between the Taan and kara-Tur).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 May 2009 05:33:24
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  09:16:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
It's only now with the benefit of hindsight that I recall how eager and encouraging Ed was for a few of us to "write, write, write" and get published in Dragon Magazine, moving the Seven Heavens and Toril behind the scenes to put in a good word for us with the Paizo guys. Like all good seers, he could see the Spellplague looming on the horizon.

Then too I recall how open and eager the Paizo people were to entertain article suggestions, even when they knew also that they only had less than a year of issues to release under their tenure. My piece on Semmemmon and Ashemmi came about because I suggested the article to them at their prompting after my Impiltur piece was finally published, not from any random pitch on my part. Sad that Paizo lost control of the magazines and 4E came along - I know in my bones I would have got in at least 2 articles a year of juicy realmslore if things had continued in that vein. I had about three articles "ready to go" with ideas for another half-a-dozen.

Thankfully, my thread here at C-Keep has meant that some of those articles/ideas have had a place to (hopefully) shine.

But I'd like to thank Ed for his efforts anyway. As a "corner man", he has no equal.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  14:21:51  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Did any of you read the [brief] Volo's Guides by Eric and Ed published individually in the last few printed issues of DRAGON Magazine?

I only have three of those (356/357/358), and only Semmeon is of any interest to me from those three (YMMV).
I think such articles will still be written. I just don't think it will be Volo that will be doing the writing.

As to writing for Dragon/Dungeon: we still can do that. I do plan to set something up (I merely need to get time to gather all the random thoughts in my head and put them together into something coherent).

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  15:13:34  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Re. this:
"As to writing for Dragon/Dungeon: we still can do that. I do plan to set something up (I merely need to get time to gather all the random thoughts in my head and put them together into something coherent)."

HA! I've ben trying to do THAT for, like, thirty years now.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  15:17:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Too true, Blueblade. Too true.

George, Ed (who is away from all keyboards at the moment, though I managed to speak to him via the cellphone of someone whos' with him) would like to thank YOU.
He says he always looks forward eagerly to every time you or Eric (Boyd) would "roll back the curtain and show me more of the Realms," and "wishes like all heck" it would happen more often. For us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  15:26:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I almost forgot:
Purple Dragon Knight, Ed thanks you for the kind words, but wants you to know that Elaine did most of the heavy lifting when it came to the plot of CITY OF SPLENDORS, so she deserves most of your thanks.
Yes, Ed and Elaine (who are good friends, BTW) "overwrote" each other many times, particularly when the book needed to be shortened, but the Amalgamation (Mrelder and his dad) and the Dyre daughters and their interactions with the Gemcloaks were established by Elaine from the outset.
Ed agrees with you that it's a "different" Realms book (just as ELMINSTER IN HELL was a very different sort of "different" Realms book), and he, too (however immodestly), thinks it's one of the best. "Those who want guys fighting orcs and dragons are going to be a bit disappointed, yes - - but then, those who hate such things get disappointed when they pick up Realms fiction so more often."

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on NDA'd lore-work right now.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  15:52:40  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade
HA! I've ben trying to do THAT for, like, thirty years now.

I am fully aware that I may be repearing exactly the same statement thirty years from now... :P
Though I do give myself a fair chance that I actually will produce something.
First have to write an adventure though... apparently before june 7th. Hmm.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  16:00:45  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Mmm... NDA'd lore-work... that's actually the best kind, if it's being worked on, because that means it might actually see the light of day... right?

When is Ed's first work appearing in DDi? I need to know when my subscription needs to start, because I'm not paying for a month that *doesn't* contain lore from Ed (or Brian, or George, or Eric). Yes, my standards are high, but I suspect I'm not the only one so discriminating here at CK.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  16:21:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

As to writing for Dragon/Dungeon: we still can do that. I do plan to set something up (I merely need to get time to gather all the random thoughts in my head and put them together into something coherent).
ONLY if you support their new edition.

If you are like most 'Realms Sages', you prefer the 1e/2e/3e era. The articles must contain at least 1/3 mechanics (IIRC), and a lack of familiarity with those rules precludes anyone with any talent but no interest in 4e to write for the DDi (I REFUSE to call that Dragon).

When they announced their 'open call' (yeah... right...) over a year ago, I quickly put together twenty ideas (10 for Dragon, and 10 for Dungeon, with a couple being cross-overs). However, once they made it clear that they would not be accepting any articles that did not take place in the 4e era, I didn't bother. I simply do not know enough about that time period (does anyone?) to feel I can do it justice.

Sorry for the 'mini-rant', mods, but I'm tired of the "you can join us, if you'll just think the way we tell you" attitude these days over at WotC.

BTW, after that supposed 'open call', the only two non-in-house guys to write articles were Ed and Brian - where are all these 'new writers' they were asking for?

They didn't want our articles, only our ideas......

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 May 2009 03:41:32
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  18:39:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
(content voluntarily removed for reposting in a more general scroll with further commentary, so as not to further derail Ed's scroll)

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 24 May 2009 20:22:08
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  00:58:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

(content voluntarily removed for reposting in a more general scroll with further commentary, so as not to further derail Ed's scroll)

And said scroll is located here:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12528

Go to Top of Page

Elric
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  04:47:16  Show Profile  Visit Elric's Homepage Send Elric a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

I have been a reader of your Q&A threads for some time but have never posted before. I’ve thought of a couple of questions that I want to ask you about, but first, I want to say that I am glad to hear that you are feeling better!

I haven’t been able to locate much information on the Cormyrian fortress of Castle Crag (other than a little information in the 2nd edition FR boxed set). Sadly, there was no entry in the Cyclopedia of the Realms from the original FR “grey box” set. I also checked Volo’s Guide to Cormyr but couldn’t find much information in this sourcebook either. I was wondering if you could provide me with some information on this structure (its appearance, the military strength housed within, commanding officer, etc.) circa 1357-1358 DR (pre-Time of Troubles)?

My other question is in regards to the Moonshae Islands. I know that the published version of the Moonshaes isn’t the original version that you turned in to TSR. I recall reading a past post where you gave a description of what the original Moonshaes looked like (similar to the islands of Earthsea).Wizards posted a tie-in article to the Grand History of the Realms on their website awhile back that deals specifically with the history of the Moonshaes. It depicts what the Moonshaes looked like circa -11,000 DR. I was curious if this is what the original Moonshaes look like in your home campaign (I thought maybe they used your original version for this article)? Also, a quick question related to the Moonshaes, is the wizard Flamsterd and his island your creation and part of your original Moonshae Islands?

I apologize in advance if any of these questions have already been answered in previous posts.

Thanks very much for everything you do for us Realmsfans. It is greatly appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  07:28:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Flamsterd is indeed one of the remnants of Ed's original Moonshaes.

Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  07:58:38  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Welcome Elric, and Indoril too, to the forum!

As someone not too far past his own acolyte-hood, I thought I'd be the first to offer a warm welcome. Personally, I don't mind if a question is repeated, because often the senior scribes or The Hooded One can direct you to Ed's indexed response, and often leads curious readers (such as I) trailing down the same path.

Based on my own brief observations, 3 things generally keep this thread rolling along:

1.) Questions to Ed, and the corresponding responses, via The Hooded One,

2.) The community's own brief discussions that spring from those questions to Ed, rather like ripples from a stone dropped into a pond, and

3.) Gentle teasing of longstanding members, like The Hooded One (well-nigh unshockable, despite our many attempts) and The Sage (runs on geologic time, but gets results!)

So to both of you, Well met!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  08:11:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

3.) Gentle teasing of longstanding members, like The Hooded One (well-nigh unshockable, despite our many attempts) and The Sage (runs on geologic time, but gets results!)

Geologic time? Wow, that's more credit than I would have given him!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  08:44:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Awesome!

Does this also mean that I could qualify for my own epoch? Perhaps even something that could be slipped into the Realmslore.

Ed, THO, take note!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  08:53:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Sage's list is so long that the continents will reform as Pangea before he finishes everything. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  09:07:24  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Awesome!

Does this also mean that I could qualify for my own epoch? Perhaps even something that could be slipped into the Realmslore.

Ed, THO, take note!

Well, perhaps just your own geologic stratum; with all the work you do moderating it's no surprise we take you for granite....

----> http://instantrimshot.com/ <----
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  11:59:15  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elric

Hello Ed and THO,
My other question is in regards to the Moonshae Islands. I know that the published version of the Moonshaes isn’t the original version that you turned in to TSR. I recall reading a past post where you gave a description of what the original Moonshaes looked like (similar to the islands of Earthsea).Wizards posted a tie-in article to the Grand History of the Realms on their website awhile back that deals specifically with the history of the Moonshaes. It depicts what the Moonshaes looked like circa -11,000 DR. I was curious if this is what the original Moonshaes look like in your home campaign (I thought maybe they used your original version for this article)? Also, a quick question related to the Moonshaes, is the wizard Flamsterd and his island your creation and part of your original Moonshae Islands?

I apologize in advance if any of these questions have already been answered in previous posts.

Thanks very much for everything you do for us Realmsfans. It is greatly appreciated!

Hi Elric

Brian R James who wrote the article posted this response on another thread

"You are the first to comment on my homage to Ed's Earthsea-like Moonshaes. Well done. I never saw Ed's original map, so I hope it is a close approximation of his vision"

More on Flamsterd here (its a loooong Ed post, you need to scroll down about halfway)

Hope this helps

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  14:50:09  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Awesome!

Ed, THO, take note!

I'm not Ed, but I have a suggestion.

Sage Reckoning: An archaic dating system used by the monks and scribes of Candlekeep to record the amount of time that has passed since the Sage of Perth's last completed project for the great library.

That okay?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  16:26:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

quote:

quote:

Awesome!

Ed, THO, take note!

I'm not Ed, but I have a suggestion.

Sage Reckoning: An archaic dating system used by the monks and scribes of Candlekeep to record the amount of time that has passed since the Sage of Perth's last completed project for the great library.

That okay?

Sage Reckoning = Year in DR + 10,000

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 25 May 2009 16:26:36
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  17:31:17  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I had my math final today(it was okay), and that got me thinking:
How much math is there in the Realms? Are they aware of the Sines and Cosines Functions? Is there even such a concept as 'X'? What of Geometry? And plane geometry? Or Integrals? Graphs?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 26 May 2009 08:21:45
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  19:13:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

I had my meth final today(it was okay), and that got me thinking:
How much math is there in the Realms? Are they aware of the Sines and Cosines Functions? Is there even such a concept as 'X'? What of Geometry? And plane geometry? Or Integrals? Graphs?

First off... 'meth final'?

Geometry (and some trigonometry) are used in arcane formulae for spells and rituals. Architecture and Engineering uses a lot of higher math to figure out structural integrity of buildings and such. Finally, I think Gondsmen and Lantan gnomes have established some calculus and physics-related math for their experiments.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  20:47:24  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message
quote:

At the final book of Lady Penitent Trilogy, there is an awesome Drow-character that is a "Geometric Mage". He don't stop examining paramethers on everything he sees. (unfortunetly I have this habit too.. I can't see a grid that already beginning to turn my head to find patterns in images)

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  21:09:34  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message
THO or Ed... (Maybe Brian James or Eric Boyd could help me too)
I've asked this questions on another topic, but no one answered me with a good explanation (Well... Wooly told me he thinks that doesn't have a canon answer, but even so I have to ask you )

There's any explanation to the elves' changes of 3e to 4e?
Why do they live only 200 years now? And how can Sun and Moon elves teleport? What about wild/wood elves "sleeping"?

Thanks.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.

Edited by - edappel on 26 May 2009 12:37:22
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  21:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
quote:

I also remember two separate instances in Realms works that mention complex mathematics, and checked on the sources:

1.) Realms of the Elves - "The Staff of Valmaxian" : The spellcasting chambers used by the main character are inlaid with golden lines that describe precise angles, radii, and calibrations to either heighten or refine the arcane power raised therein. I imagine many accomplished mages that work in Divination, Enchantment, or Conjuration/Summoning would have similar ones.

2.) Midnight's Mask by Paul Kemp: This might be closer to our real-life use of mathematics. Towards the close of the book, the villain incorporates extremely complex math formulae. --- SPOILERS ---(highlight) He does so while casting the epic spell Eclipse. The Sojourner needed to account for Toril's speed through space, spin on its axis, the movement of the sun, and the corresponding physics of the eclipsing object (a Tear of Selune) in order to achieve a 24-hour eclipse. --- END SPOILERS ---

And, as edappel mentioned, geometer mages do exist since 3rd edition, that perceive the Weave through math computations.

Edited by - Aysen on 25 May 2009 21:36:22
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  07:00:30  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
Thanks, M'Lady and Sir Ed, for the Dwarvish lingo lesson. It answered my question, and more!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000