Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Create a weapon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Zapato
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  09:02:07  Show Profile Send Zapato a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The 'double weapon' topic made me wonder: What else can adventurers wield with the exception of the standard DnD weapons? So:

Have you ever wielded anything out of the ordinary? Did it work? If you could use a weapon not in de DnD books or make one up of your own what would it be and how would it work?

Personnaly I still want to use a scythe during a campaign and see how it well it goes...But if a DM ever allows it I'm gonna see if I can use one of those giant round logs you sometimes see in wushu / kung-fu movies :P

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."
-Conan the barbarian on what is best in life

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  11:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the more fun examples one of my players (who sometimes DM's himself) and I came up with involves the idea of a wizarding college that's (in)famous for their mages' tendencies to resort to improvised weapons. Hence, "weaponized" everyday items* are the sign of a wizard from said school, as well as the sign of a warped mind.

Anyway, example: Warbook. Wielded by a horribly effeminate half-elf eldritch theurge scholar. In essence, his spellbook, an enormous grimoire, with a steel-reinforced cover and spine. The book was alchemically hardened, resistant to energy, and had a long strap to allow for more leverage on swings.
Stats:
Warbook, one-handed exotic melee weapon: 45 gp. 1d8 20/x2 bludgeoning, 7 lbs. Can passed off as a regular book with a +2 circumstance bonus to the skill check (Bluff/Sleight of Hand, usually). Gives a +2 shield bonus if held in two hands during the total defense action. Doubles as a spellbook or any sufficiently large tome.

The character in question had made it a +1 defending weapon, added the aforementioned defenses, and had it sanctified with his holy symbol embossed on the cover.

*Including, but not limited to, candlesticks, frying pans, books, musical instruments, gardening implements, and familiars.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  12:10:23  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see too many kung fu movies, so I'm not quite sure about what you are talking about, but there is a weapon that is basically a giant log you can throw at people to stun them and it is in Masters of the Wild.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  12:27:06  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot
*Including, but not limited to, candlesticks, frying pans, books, musical instruments, gardening implements, and familiars.

That would be the more useful a familiar has ever been in my campaigns. Poor kitty
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  12:54:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The most exotic weapon that I've had a character use would be the Elven Lightblade.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Zapato
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  13:52:08  Show Profile Send Zapato a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

I don't see too many kung fu movies, so I'm not quite sure about what you are talking about, but there is a weapon that is basically a giant log you can throw at people to stun them and it is in Masters of the Wild.

hope this helps:
http://ui10.gamespot.com/905/benkei_2.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSn327yqEls

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  14:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MANRIKI GUSARI, a chain weapon. It works great....until you fumble.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  14:28:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had a character weild anything more exotic than a katana... And even that was appropriate to the character; he was a kensai.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  14:30:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zapato

That looks like one of those impossible weapons used in some fantasy video games. Seriously, if I wanted to weild a big stick-thing, I'd reach for a regular quarterstaff before grabbing the candle-holder from a wizard's study.

Go to Top of Page

Zapato
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  14:54:19  Show Profile Send Zapato a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
That looks like one of those impossible weapons used in some fantasy video games. Seriously, if I wanted to weild a big stick-thing, I'd reach for a regular quarterstaff before grabbing the candle-holder from a wizard's study.

I know DnD keeps things very realistic, but I think its fun to experiment and let some laws of physics slide a little bit. Not only does it keep melee characters interresting, but it brings them to the same height as magic characters.. Who aren't very realistic to begin with and break the laws of physics themselves, especially at high levels

I cant see anything wrong with a realy big bloke (barbarian?) wielding a realy big club like weapon like that..

Edited by - Zapato on 23 Dec 2008 15:13:48
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  16:08:21  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a monk use a sang kau(sp) once.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  16:31:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually created a set of three highly-specialized nunchuks for trolls in Kara-Tur. I have a back-story, and basically some master decided to prove that anyone can be taught the way of the open hand (Kung-Fu), with enough patience and dicipline. After managing to train three trolls as monks, he had three magical nunchuks created for them that would work well with their racial abilities.

The nunchuks are studded with small razors in four rows along the length of each 'stick' (similar to those shark-tooothed swords used by some cultures). What that does is negate the troll's natural regeneration (since its working overtime on his hands as it is), but does double damage, with an increased crit range.

I call them Trolchuks.

Thats a DM-special for NPCs, although I suppose a PC could weild one... if he didn't mind bleeding to death. I created it as one of the weapons for the Kara-Tur netbook.

Currently one is lost, and the other two are in the possession of an Oriental Vampire (who also has no trouble weilding them).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Dec 2008 18:06:02
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  17:29:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had a barbarian use a Tetsubo...about the biggest club-like weapon with metal studs that I can think of.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  19:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you considered basing your big log weapon the Highlands Caber?

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  20:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mithril beer mug.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  22:23:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a weapon in WoW called the 'Mug O' Hurt', which is basically just a beer mug.

You can also slap people with a fish.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  23:06:20  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The direction of some of the answers got me to thinking, and well, almost anything could be used as a weapon, effectively, too. I've used a broken stool leg to kill a man. The real question is, are you talking about a one time, Jackie Chan- I'm caught with nothing better so I'll wield THIS type of usage or are you talking about a weapon that you'd carry on a regular basis?

Because some things just don't make sense to carry around - lol

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  23:27:49  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

How long did it take Tika to ditch that frying pan? :) /portal to Krynn

The -4 penalty to using an improvised weapon will discourage players from using anything like that on a regular basis. I think I would allow a variety of feats to have the additional effect of knocking that penalty down to -2: Athletic, Deft Hands, Power Attack, Toughness... Just to encourage players to try it and make things more interesting.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  23:59:25  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

To me it looks like a cricket paddle.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  00:55:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not as bad as the guy with the REALLY huge hammer - what was that? One of the Conan movies?

Isn't there an 'Improvised Weapon' Feat somewhere that offsets the penalty? Maybe its a class-ability of some PrC (like Drunken Master)... I forget...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  02:56:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Hackmaster, I know, has statistics for "gag" weapons- among them, barstools, turkey drumsticks and Goblin legs. The entire thing being a gag, really.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 24 Dec 2008 02:56:47
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  03:33:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The direction of some of the answers got me to thinking, and well, almost anything could be used as a weapon, effectively, too. I've used a broken stool leg to kill a man. The real question is, are you talking about a one time, Jackie Chan- I'm caught with nothing better so I'll wield THIS type of usage or are you talking about a weapon that you'd carry on a regular basis?

Hey, everyone needs a beer mug, just in case they encounter a beer keg, *wink*

Some of the weapons clearly are using what is on hand as oposed to weapons trained and skilled at using.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  03:59:19  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may not have been clear, but I was actually acking about Zapato's intent with the question. Was it meant to include anything we'd used or something unusual that was carried as a regular weapon? It doesn't really matter. I was curious.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  05:02:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I may not have been clear, but I was actually acking about Zapato's intent with the question. Was it meant to include anything we'd used or something unusual that was carried as a regular weapon? It doesn't really matter. I was curious.

Well... My minotaur had an odd habit. In a dungeon, after an encounter, he'd grab a corpse, tuck it under his arm, and keep it until the next encounter. When more nastybads were found, his first attack would be to chuck the corpse at them.

It didn't always hit or do damage, but it proved demoralizing enough that the nastybads sometimes fled.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  05:27:52  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well... My minotaur had an odd habit. In a dungeon, after an encounter, he'd grab a corpse, tuck it under his arm, and keep it until the next encounter. When more nastybads were found, his first attack would be to chuck the corpse at them.

-I had a fellow PC that gouged out the eyeballs of the things that he killed, and then put them in a bag...He was planning to create an 'Ocular Golem'.

-The DM, though, was a bad DM, so in retrospect, the silliness that happened because of that fact was a welcome thing. It took something like 4 sessions to finish character building and actually start playing.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  05:40:28  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Isn't there an 'Improvised Weapon' Feat somewhere that offsets the penalty? Maybe its a class-ability of some PrC (like Drunken Master)... I forget...

Well, the exotic weapon master from Masters of the Wild can use tools to create an improvised weapon. Though I'm not quite sure what the use of it would be unless you were locked in a dungeon with nothing more that a set of tools.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  06:17:31  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once used a bed and box springs as a shield against a werewolf trying to maul me once in Ravenloft. It actually worked, unfortunately I was on a boat in the Mist so it only delayed the inevitable.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  06:37:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The MWP 3.5 Dragonlance books have a couple of feats that limit the penalties for improvised weapons, but I don't know if there were other ones in any core books.

And of course Pathfinder has the infamous Razor Sharp Chair Leg . . .

One of my players ran a goliath rogue/barbarian that never carried a weapon, and used:

1. A large table to kill an Extaminaar wizard.

2. Dual wielded chairs to help kill a corpse creature unholy warrior.

3. A greataxe ripped out of a trap that went off and nearly killed a party member.

4. A large stone flower planter to kill an assassin.

5. A wooden log.

Go to Top of Page

Zapato
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  12:28:18  Show Profile Send Zapato a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What I ment was that I both wanted to know if people ever used any strange weapons or if they could think of any now.
And mostly focused on regular weapons and not just a chair or candlestick players grabbed in the heat of the moment, though it is fun to read ;)

Go to Top of Page

Zapato
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2008 :  10:09:57  Show Profile Send Zapato a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine had a crazy idea for a new weapon yesterday: TWO shields..one in each hand and both equipt with spikes etc so they also could be used for offensive moves.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2008 :  14:05:53  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A friend of mine had a crazy idea for a new weapon yesterday: TWO shields..one in each hand and both equipt with spikes etc so they also could be used for offensive moves.

I'd imagine if it were done correctly, and depending on the shape and size of the shield of course, you could probably have a sharp edge on them, something to use for slashing. I was thinking something similar to the Uruk hai swordsman's shield, but with a single sharp blade-like end instead of the two gouging spikes.

Anyone ever seen a "lantern shield?" I was reading the description and it sounded kind of cool - not sure how useful - but this is the image I get http://www.thousandeggs.com/216.jpg and the word cool somehow fails to describe it -lol

Edited by - Brynweir on 25 Dec 2008 14:26:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000