Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What's happened to the Seven Sisters in Realms 4?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  17:19:44  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, so I know that Sylune is now dead dead, and that Qilue is apparently gone for good (insert a Darth Vader-ish "NOOOOOO!" here), but what about the others? Are they supposed to be just 'offstage' or were they killed (or depowered or driven mad)?

Man, the more I find out about the 4th Ed Realms, the happier I am that I'm not spending money on it.

PS -- Just where can I get information on the Sisters aside from the 2nd Edition book?

Edited by - Ardashir on 10 Sep 2008 17:21:05

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  18:19:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer your question about where you can get information on the sisters, there is the novel Silverfall: Stories of the Seven Sisters by Ed Greenwood which contains a story for each of them. Also the novel Stormlight by Ed Greenwood, which is about Storm. There is also The Simbul's Gift by Lynn Abbey, which focuses on The Simbul (although this one is popularly an innacurate portrayal of The Simbul).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  18:22:41  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and the Seven Sisters make numerous appearances in various other novels (The Drizzt novels feature Alustriel, many Ed Greenwood novels show Storm, I think Quilue is somewhere in the Starlight and Shadows novels, and other novels that escape my mind at the moment).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  19:28:26  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alustriel is also done in apparently, but as far as I know the Simbul has survived.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  20:01:09  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sylune is dead-dead, Alustriel is dead, Laeral is dead, the Simbul is living in Shadowdale, Storm is *not* living in Shadowdale (whether she's alive or dead, I don't know), Dove is not mentioned at all in the 4E Realms book, nor is Qilue. And before you ask, no, I did not pay money for that heretical waste of paper. I wouldn't want to physically touch anything like that without surgical gloves. I'm working on an alternate timeline, but I'd like to know more about the war between Cormyr and Sembia, if anybody knows anything.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  20:07:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Qilue died in the Lady Penitent books. As for the Sembia/Cormyr war, it's an extension of the dislike between Shade and Cormyr. Shade has taken over Sembia (detailed in Paul Kemp's novels) and basically has Cormyr trapped in a two front war between the Sembian states and their lands in Anauroch.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  20:11:59  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

To answer your question about where you can get information on the sisters, there is the novel Silverfall: Stories of the Seven Sisters by Ed Greenwood which contains a story for each of them.

In fact, it narrates just one story, an inquiry which implies successively each of the Seven.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  20:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm dieing to know what becomes of Laeral and Khelbens twins.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  20:17:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stout Heart

Part of what happens to one of them is told in Steven Schend's new novel, Blackstaff Tower.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  22:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Stout Heart

Part of what happens to one of them is told in Steven Schend's new novel, Blackstaff Tower.

And what happens to the other is, alas, still under NDA, I'm afraid.

Steven
who knows what's in his notes about her but can't share it....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  00:05:58  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so, to summarize:
Alustriel: dead
Laeral: dead
Sylune: dead
Qilue: dead
The Simbul: living in Shadowdale
Storm: seriously injured by Shadow Weave in Shadowdale in 1374; nothing more recent known to me
Dove: see Laeral

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  00:08:04  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops... that should be:
Dove: See Storm
My bad.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  00:37:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Okay, so, to summarize:
Alustriel: dead
Laeral: dead
Sylune: dead
Qilue: dead
The Simbul: living in Shadowdale
Storm: seriously injured by Shadow Weave in Shadowdale in 1374; nothing more recent known to me
Dove: see Laeral

As I recall, Ed said back in August that the fates of Dove and Storm were unknown [though we do know either Dove or Storm are definitely NOT dead in the post-Spellplague Realms].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  00:49:20  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow.

The body count rises.

Were they just...dare I say it..."unpopular" characters? Did they not sell well or something?

I mean...I can think of MANY other characters I would have preferred seeing having their faces melted off than Alustriel...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  03:35:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fatalities of a fickle fortune, I fear.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  06:41:16  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Wow.

The body count rises.

Were they just...dare I say it..."unpopular" characters? Did they not sell well or something?

I mean...I can think of MANY other characters I would have preferred seeing having their faces melted off than Alustriel...

nah wotc were just trying to get the eberreon fans( aka ebergeeks) ans WoW players to the realms.
their biggest complaints were
too many gods
chosen were to powerful and well few other things.....

they stepped on toes doing this too

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  13:18:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow.

The body count rises.

Well for right or wrong, a vocal few said they were too popular.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  15:02:12  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Wow.

The body count rises.

Well for right or wrong, a vocal few said they were too popular.

The more we talk about 4e the more and more disgusted I become.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  15:37:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow.

The body count rises.

To be fair, Alustriel did just "pass away", which implies a more peaceful death than that.

Still, I agree with the spirit of your post.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  15:39:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Questions for all, because I don't have the FRCG:

Where is it stated that Laerel is dead?

Where is it stated that Storm was injured by the Shadow Weave?

Where is it stated that Storm and Dove are definitely not dead in the Post-Spellplague Realms?

I'm only asking these questions because I want to be "up" on things. Thanks in advance.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  17:02:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Where is it stated that Storm and Dove are definitely not dead in the Post-Spellplague Realms?
If you'll recall my earlier post, I noted that this was something Ed said in his scroll back in August.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  17:53:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Questions for all, because I don't have the FRCG:

Where is it stated that Laerel is dead?

Where is it stated that Storm was injured by the Shadow Weave?

I'm only asking these questions because I want to be "up" on things. Thanks in advance.

1: cant offhand look at the moment off to class soon
2: that was in the shadow dale book
3: in the ask mr greenwood thread

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  18:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, first--eww. That's an image that'll keep me up--and maybe end up in a piece of writing down the road.

Second, as far as we know, Alustriel retired and came to a peaceful end, for all we know in bed surrounded by her many children and (probably) grandchildren. Sometimes that happens in the Realms, and I don't see why characters shouldn't be allowed to retire and die peacefully.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but near as I understand it, Qilue fell in an ultimate battle for her deity, and Sylune perished heroically averting some great disaster? Hardly cheap or ignominious ends.

I think that it's better, in a narrative, for heroes to die heroically than to live on, lose popularity, and fizzle out.

Now whether this is how the lore treats these characters is another question. But I don't object to them being dead simply because they are *dead*--it's about the *how* and *why*, not the fact of it.

I'd be curious to know about Laeral, whose fate we haven't seen (or at least I haven't). Maybe Ed or Steve will tell us in a later tale. (hint hint!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  18:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage and sfdragon: Thanks for your answers. Like Erik I'm still curious about Laeral.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  22:34:29  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as for laeral, I would surmise that she died of old age with in the city of hope.....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

phal
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  10:07:07  Show Profile  Visit phal's Homepage Send phal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A hero that sacrifices themselves for a reason or purpose, I can enjoy.

A hero that lives happily ever after and dies peacefully in their sleep, I can also enjoy.

A hero that dies senselessly because they've become inconvenient . . . . . really ticks me off.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  14:28:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What disaster did Sylune avert and just how did she die?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  14:42:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be the Shadowdale adventure/sourcebook recently put out.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  14:54:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phal

A hero that dies senselessly because they've become inconvenient . . . . . really ticks me off.

That's really what bothers me about many of these deaths. It's obvious that several of the sisters died because WotC didn't want them around anymore, even if on the surface the deaths were made out to be "meaningful".

Go to Top of Page

Neil
Learned Scribe

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  15:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Neil's Homepage Send Neil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but near as I understand it, Qilue fell in an ultimate battle for her deity, and Sylune perished heroically averting some great disaster? Hardly cheap or ignominious ends.

Absolutely agree. In fact, Syluné died well twice. A good NPC, if they have to die, should die for something worthwhile, not just to show how dangerous a new villain is. Of course, killing major NPCs is something that shouldn't happen every day, or else it doesn't mean anything.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11728 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  22:08:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I'm trying to recall.... did Quilue die at the end of the Lady Penitent books? I thought it was the other priestess.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000